IGNORED

Burns to fleetwood on loan

Hartcliffe red

On 2 March 2016 at 07:57, BobBobSuperBob said:

Understand LJ went up to Fleetwood to watch last night

Fair play to him

Not 'just down the road'

Would be easy to rely on reports back from Stephen Pressley or send one of our own scouts

At least lads out on loan will feel that there is a purpose to the loan, that they remain important and in the boss's thoughts

Really pleased that Wes had a decent game in front of him

Sheff Utd next in firing line for Wes on Saturday :clapping:

Well if that's true that is a touch of class from Lee - letting Wes know he's still in his thoughts and plans and not isolated up North, great stuff...

7 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

More God news & Nice to see a bit of recognition for Wes

Football Leagues Team of The Week 

http://www.fleetwood.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=563101

Good On you Wes - no sulking from this lad - has won his place and turned in back to back major contributions in wins for the Cod Army !

How come a Brighton player is in the Football League team of the week? ……….I want answers!

2 hours ago, samo II said:

Burns hits the post for Fleetwood just prior to them taking a 2-1 lead at home to Sheffield United, having gone a goal behind.

Part of me wonders if we shouldn't be bringing him back and chucking him up top for us...

After March 15th (28 days of his loan) I would not be at all surprised if we got him back.

8 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

He would've been starting today I believe if he was here. Would've been better option than anyone on our bench. I understand he's young and needs game time but he's got game changing pace and desire and should still be here. 

He's also bang in form.  Yes; it is in league one, but the teams he'd scored against are amongst the best in that division.

I'd like to see him AND Kodjia up top together; would give us serious pace up top, and it's not like anyone else on our team other that Kodjia is hitting the net enough to avoid the drop.

I see little harm.

18 minutes ago, samo II said:

He's also bang in form.  Yes; it is in league one, but the teams he'd scored against are amongst the best in that division.

I'd like to see him AND Kodjia up top together; would give us serious pace up top, and it's not like anyone else on our team other that Kodjia is hitting the net enough to avoid the drop.

I see little harm.

TBH Wes had little room today and at times struggled to get in the game . He swopped sides throughout with Hunter to try to unsettle Sheff Utd but to no avail .

He did take up a good position from a cross to the back post ( and a tight angle ) to head against the post . It then fell to him again at a tight angle and he blasted the ball over the bar...

Overall the forwards did seem to struggle generally in a ' funny ol ' game that saw a late penalty ( for what I don't know yet ) , late sending off ( pos . for kicking ball away ) . A point against a side like Sheff Utd probably would be taken by most pre game but kick in the teeth at the end .

I have consistently believed in Wes 

He could turn out to be one of the great servants of this club

One plus if we are relegated, which I don't think we will be, is that Wes will finally get a proper chance in the correct position with us and not someone else

50 minutes ago, samo II said:

I see little harm.

I've been thinking about it. Could we got two strikers and have Tomlin behind? We'd have to drop Pack or Smith but that front 3 could have potential. At least in the past 20 minutes or so if we need. I said it earlier that Tomlin on the wing is a bad choice. Didn't get past about 10 yards inside our defensive half all game. Wes would be a good option and today we could've used that option. In good form and just needs the chance. Charlton have Lookman who they've played quite a bit and we should be doing that with Wes. Letting him play through the rough times to get to know the league and help. 

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

I've been thinking about it. Could we got two strikers and have Tomlin behind? We'd have to drop Pack or Smith but that front 3 could have potential. At least in the past 20 minutes or so if we need. I said it earlier that Tomlin on the wing is a bad choice. Didn't get past about 10 yards inside our defensive half all game. Wes would be a good option and today we could've used that option. In good form and just needs the chance. Charlton have Lookman who they've played quite a bit and we should be doing that with Wes. Letting him play through the rough times to get to know the league and help. 

Even just as one of the trio of players on behind Kodjia, I think Burns would be a dynamic option.

If Smith and Pack are fit and on the field, I think the options of Burns, Tomlin, Bryan, Reid, Freeman and even Wagstaff would allow us to shake things up, and perhaps get more goals.

Personally; Burns and Bryan wide of Tomlin behind Kodjia is something I'd like to see us do.

1 minute ago, samo II said:

Even just as one of the trio of players on behind Kodjia, I think Burns would be a dynamic option.

If Smith and Pack are fit and on the field, I think the options of Burns, Tomlin, Bryan, Reid, Freeman and even Wagstaff would allow us to shake things up, and perhaps get more goals.

Personally; Burns and Bryan wide of Tomlin behind Kodjia is something I'd like to see us do.

Might add a bit of natural balance , Freeman on the right isn't working and Wes's pace would be a real weapon. I would actually like to see Wes rather than Agard as the striking change when we're chasing something.

3 minutes ago, samo II said:

Then you drop Freeman which would certainly shake things up. I'm all for it as well as long as they support Kodjia because today he had no help. We played a few balls down to him for him to get into the box with no help. Then we slate him when he does on the odd occasion get a runner and he doesn't find them. If it was more consistent I think he'd play it more. Very unorganized attacking team we are. 

45 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Last time burns came on as sub for us he was shocking. Absolute nervous wreck on the right wing and made a mess of every cross. Yet he would magically be brilliant when coming on all of a sudden? If he struggled today because of a Sheffield United defence that gave him no room, then he definitely would have struggled against a Cardiff defence that gave us no room. I am a fan of him as he has blistering pace and puts in a good shift but I really think he needs to get some game time with Fleetwood upfront and see if he can prove himself at league 1 level before being given a go here.

Everyone struggled today and their LB was never tested. He certainly wouldn't have been any worse and has the pace to get in behind. He had a bad 20 minutes against Brum. It's the kind of game anyone can have on any day. Can't base opinions off 1 twenty minute spell. We needed a goal and had Wilbraham to bring on. I'm all for Wes staying on loan if we had gotten an extra option in on loan but we haven't and Wes has blinding pace in a generally slow squad. 

17 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

I agree that his crosses are usually better than adequate but I think he needs a run of games to get confidence and show what he can do. Also if Johnson considers him to be a striker then I think he will be best off getting a number of 90 minute games behind him at Fleetwood, cuz he is probabably our fifth choice striker so if we don't loan him out to a team to play there, we will never know if that is his best position. If he can do it in league 1 then he will have improved a lot from last year, when as a striker he struggled.

I think he'd be my second choice in all honesty. Just don't rate Wilbs or Agard. Him being on loan is definitely for the best though. 

17 hours ago, double-trouble said:

TBH Wes had little room today and at times struggled to get in the game . He swopped sides throughout with Hunter to try to unsettle Sheff Utd but to no avail .

He did take up a good position from a cross to the back post ( and a tight angle ) to head against the post . It then fell to him again at a tight angle and he blasted the ball over the bar...

Overall the forwards did seem to struggle generally in a ' funny ol ' game that saw a late penalty ( for what I don't know yet ) , late sending off ( pos . for kicking ball away ) . A point against a side like Sheff Utd probably would be taken by most pre game but kick in the teeth at the end .

Having now read the programme from the game yesterday , there was a page dedicated to Wes Burns .

He admits he has been pleased with his form on the Fylde Coast so far , and puts his impressive recent performances down to the staff and his teammates .

' Mf form so far for Fleetwood has been down to them for welcoming me so well . The first day I came in everyone was really helpful and showed me how they wanted to play . Everyone was hands on so its my time to repay them . To get 2 goals so far in the 2 starts is obviously the way to do that . The goal against Coventry was a great ball in and all I needed to do was get my head to it , but any goal gives a player confidence . What I like here is the fact we always try to play football . We keep the ball which means everyone will get touches and its only a positive for players like myself .'

With the Cod Army keen on securing his services for the rest of the season , Burns was finally pleased when the move came about .

' I'd heard about the interest from Fleetwood throughout the season. I knew they were keen to get me early on but the circumstances at Bristol City didn't allow that . Now that the opportunity has come about this time it was always going to be a good move for meas I know how Fleetwood like to play football '.

Nice first touch and set for himself for the goal from Wes

reminded me of his winner last year at AG v Chesterfield

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-one/10203310/burton-2-1-fleetwood

Showing his usual passion too - good lad

Two cracking goals by the Burton lad tbf

Keep up those performances and getting a few goals Wes - trying to think who the Welsh have up top

Guess Wes will be competing with Simon Church etc for a back up strikers role (Might be handy that he can be played wide too)

With his pace I'd take him if I was CC - a great wildcard I'd suggest and has to be the in form Welsh striker at moment !

If he keeps finding the net he's got to be in with a shout for the summer - one or two injuries in the squad and  he'd be definitely cancelling any summer hols ;)

His attitude and approach to his loan has been tops by all accounts and I Think all reds would love to see him get to France in the summer :fingerscrossed:

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Nice first touch and set for himself for the goal from Wes

reminded me of his winner last year at AG v Chesterfield

http://www.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/competitions/league-one/10203310/burton-2-1-fleetwood

Showing his usual passion too - good lad

Two cracking goals by the Burton lad tbf

Keep up those performances and getting a few goals Wes - trying to think who the Welsh have up top

Guess Wes will be competing with Simon Church etc for a back up strikers role (Might be handy that he can be played wide too)

With his pace I'd take him if I was CC - a great wildcard I'd suggest and has to be the in form Welsh striker at moment !

If he keeps finding the net he's got to be in with a shout for the summer - one or two injuries in the squad and  he'd be definitely cancelling any summer hols ;)

His attitude and approach to his loan has been tops by all accounts and I Think all reds would love to see him get to France in the summer :fingerscrossed:

Sounds like he's doing very well. Scoring goals and getting games in a relegation battle will help him no end.. Imagine what good it'll do for his development spending time with Bale, Ramsey, Williams etc with Wales. These 5 months or so could be huge in his mental development and for his maturity. Hopefully it'll be us and Wales (except vs England) that reap the benefits.

If we are a couple of goals up vs Wales, I can see him getting a run out actually. His pace could cause issues at any level.

16 minutes ago, allyolly said:

A clever bit of management by LJ? Wasn't expecting to see Burns go out on loan but seems to be really helping his confidence and development. Let's hope we reap the rewards of this next season.

Agree ally insomuch that it's far more beneficial for Wes to get games in - difficult for him to develop here at the moment if he's on the bench and understandably LJ has bolstered us with some experienced players which meant Wes looked likely to not to see much game time unless he performed miracles every time he got a few mins.

I would argue that Fleetwood in the midst of a relegation struggle was not necessarily the ideal loan move for Wes but what I like is that instead of sulking like some would or just going through the motions up at Fleetwood he's taken the challenge on with real determination and enthusiasm , when he must have been feeling low after a tough 20 mins against Birmingham and the reaction, having contributed well in the start of our turnaround under Pembo

Says an awful lot about Wes's character , and his ability as he has contributed massively as they look to move away from the relegation zone.

Would have been nice for the lad to have gone to a side at the right end of the table for once but it's a harder task at a struggling side and he's doing extremely well so that says a lot about him and proof that he will carve out a good career , hopefully at AG but if not , at a decent level :)

12 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Maybe he has now found his level

Not so sure - he's yet to 'fail' at any level or challenge to date - until he gets a run of games at a higher level we can only have opinions

He has a great attitude and desire and blistering pace - those two attributes will always be attractive to suitors

He also has ability and is a scoring threat in the air and on the floor but interestingly his goals don't tend to have anything to do with his pace which bodes well

You also have to remember he's still young Tone and is still gaining experience 

The Championship is tough for young players unless they are exceptional ( Joe Bryan , Luke Freeman and others have  found it a tough transition) and it's been unfortunate for Wes's personal development that the last two years have been a promotion thrust and a relegation battle, at a higher level , both difficult times for a manager to throw a young player in

Ironically it's better for younger players to be at a mid table side in transition at times , on a personal basis

I don't know how much Wes will feature in LJs plans but He has plenty of time to develop his game with some good coaching and experience but all players need a bit of luck and a break here and there so the futures never certain

He remains with Joe and Bobby  the best young players we've developed ourselves for a fair few years so I hope he makes it through at AG but if not he will do a good job wherever his career takes him 

Having a nose around - I see Wes had good reports again in the week , despite a unjust 1-0 defeat

If he can find that extra bit of composure in his finishing this lad could make a massive impact

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/sport/fleetwood-town/match-report-fleetwood-town-0-walsall-1-1-7798100

Archived