IGNORED

Odemwingie signs on loan (Merged)

Major Isewater

4 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Absolutely delighted with this signing. 

Blimey. And I thought I was a bit premature about Smith.

Odemwingie - signed on loan,hasn't even played a game for us and you think he needs to go?

Let's give him the benefit of an hour's game time  before we confirm he's awful.

It's not about his performance this season, it's the fact he's coming to the end of his career, how can you build stability if players keep coming and going? I feel the same about the loans, too many ins and outs means we're not being any stability at all. How many different line ups and changes have we made this season? We lack depth so we're constantly loaning in players, then they go back and we get a whole new set. The best thing we did last season was sign our players early, have them time to get to play together to gel and then we stock with the basically the same line. In football stability is highly underrated by most fans but you look at successful teams and they aren't making constant changes throughout the season, just look at Leicester, their backbone of their team has barely changed and they've stuck with the same squad players as much as they can. This club seriously needs to get stability at the end of the season, ship off those who don't have a long future here and bring in players who do, players that want to play for us. 

5 minutes ago, Spike said:

It's not about his performance this season, it's the fact he's coming to the end of his career, how can you build stability if players keep coming and going? I feel the same about the loans, too many ins and outs means we're not being any stability at all. How many different line ups and changes have we made this season? We lack depth so we're constantly loaning in players, then they go back and we get a whole new set. The best thing we did last season was sign our players early, have them time to get to play together to gel and then we stock with the basically the same line. In football stability is highly underrated by most fans but you look at successful teams and they aren't making constant changes throughout the season, just look at Leicester, their backbone of their team has barely changed and they've stuck with the same squad players as much as they can. This club seriously needs to get stability at the end of the season, ship off those who don't have a long future here and bring in players who do, players that want to play for us. 

I don't understand really, feels like you're contradicting yourself. Earlier in the thread you said we should have "loaned in an enthusiast young attacking midfielder who could chip in with goals and creativity." but now you call for us to "players that want to play for us." You failed to provide any names for this attacking midfielder - but if they were young, enthusiastic players who could provide goals AND creativity, surely their parent clubs would want to keep them. I ask again, which players fit that bill? I can think of lots of players that do in the premier league, but none that might want/their parent clubs would allow to  come here permanently.

Leicester have three things, a core of their squad they've had for a while (Schemichael, Drinkwater, Vardy, King, Simpson), experienced players (Huth, Morgan, Inler) and quality they've gradually added who've improved what they already have (Fuchs, Mahrez, Kante, Okazaki). I don't really understand how the Leicester point has any relevance to Odemwingie, infact it supports the case for bringing him in. Huth and Morgan, both experienced players, and the vast experience of Inler would no doubt have helped the other younger players around them, without even mentioning that Morgan and Huth have been as good as any centre back pairing in the league. All good teams need experience and our raw/younger players need it. 

I'd say we do have stability. Players that have been here for a while (Smith, Pack, Freeman, Flint, Bryan), experienced players (Wilbraham, Odemwingie) and quality who have added to the squad (Kodjia, Tomlin). That blend is short on experience and quality, that's what we need to add. With Odemwingie we get a mixture of both of that. Give him a chance!

58 minutes ago, Spike said:

Having spectacularly failed last summer to make the permanent signings we needed then loans were the only option left but this is obviously not what we need or that the club would want next season.

The signing of Peter is nothing  to do with stability and everything to do with trying to score or create more goals in the here and now.

I admire your long term vision because I'm currently unable to see past the next 3 points.

23 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I don't understand really, feels like you're contradicting yourself. Earlier in the thread you said we should have "loaned in an enthusiast young attacking midfielder who could chip in with goals and creativity." but now you call for us to "players that want to play for us." You failed to provide any names for this attacking midfielder - but if they were young, enthusiastic players who could provide goals AND creativity, surely their parent clubs would want to keep them. I ask again, which players fit that bill? I can think of lots of players that do in the premier league, but none that might want/their parent clubs would allow to  come here permanently.

Leicester have three things, a core of their squad they've had for a while (Schemichael, Drinkwater, Vardy, King, Simpson), experienced players (Huth, Morgan, Inler) and quality they've gradually added who've improved what they already have (Fuchs, Mahrez, Kante, Okazaki). I don't really understand how the Leicester point has any relevance to Odemwingie, infact it supports the case for bringing him in. Huth and Morgan, both experienced players, and the vast experience of Inler would no doubt have helped the other younger players around them, without even mentioning that Morgan and Huth have been as good as any centre back pairing in the league. All good teams need experience and our raw/younger players need it. 

I'd say we do have stability. Players that have been here for a while (Smith, Pack, Freeman, Flint, Bryan), experienced players (Wilbraham, Odemwingie) and quality who have added to the squad (Kodjia, Tomlin). That blend is short on experience and quality, that's what we need to add. With Odemwingie we get a mixture of both of that. Give him a chance!

How exactly am I contradicting myself? I said we should loan a young attacking midfielder, I never said with a view to buy. I said the young attacking midfielder because we have no options right now other than to loan. Loaning a washed out Premier League striker with very little to prove seeing as his career will most likely come to an end within 2-3 years over a young midfielder who isn't getting game time because there are better players at his club. There are tons of young midfielders playing at premier League clubs who need to get game starts to work their way into starting consistently, be it here or another club next season and I'd much rather one of them to play this season.

My replies in the club needing stability needs to start next season, we simply cannot do that now which is why I said Odemwingie and Wilbs need to go and we need to rebuild. We shouldn't have to rebuild, the need to rebuild comes from Cotterill failing this summer, we rebuilt last summer, had a small but solid League One side that took us up and then it was desperate that we not only added depth but added quality to it. We didn't and now we find ourselves with the base of a squad, tied together with loanees and potential to lose even more players in the upcoming summer. If we go down we need a rebuild, if we stay up we need a rebuild adding much better quality in the midfield. 

With regards to Leicester my point was about stability, not a direct comparison with our immediate situation.

31 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Having spectacularly failed last summer to make the permanent signings we needed then loans were the only option left but this is obviously not what we need or that the club would want next season.

The signing of Peter is nothing  to do with stability and everything to do with trying to score or create more goals in the here and now.

I admire your long term vision because I'm currently unable to see past the next 3 points.

I'm looking at both long and short term, long term is stability, short term we need to strengthen the midfield but instead have chosen to opt for a striker/winger who hasn't scored in 2 years. Other than experience what does he offer?

9 hours ago, havanatopia said:

Some comments/links from my Stokie buddy....

Decent player & very experienced, but a bit past it now, I think, and not done much since getting back from a bad injury about 18 months ago - Hope, however, he can turn it on for you & light up the end of your season!

A popular chap too -

Stoke fans´ view here - http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/255093/wingie-joins-bristol-city-loan

I like the comment on their forum;

I'd say the song is now "on hold" until we sign a new striker in Summer. 

So Hughes MUST sign a player who has a first name or surname which scans with Odemwingie"

Perhaps we could you this logic with City signings - i e decide the best two or three songs, and get Lee J to only sign players whose names fit the songs  

13 minutes ago, Spike said:

How exactly am I contradicting myself? I said we should loan a young attacking midfielder, I never said with a view to buy. I said the young attacking midfielder because we have no options right now other than to loan. Loaning a washed out Premier League striker with very little to prove seeing as his career will most likely come to an end within 2-3 years over a young midfielder who isn't getting game time because there are better players at his club. There are tons of young midfielders playing at premier League clubs who need to get game starts to work their way into starting consistently, be it here or another club next season and I'd much rather one of them to play this season.

My replies in the club needing stability needs to start next season, we simply cannot do that now which is why I said Odemwingie and Wilbs need to go and we need to rebuild. We shouldn't have to rebuild, the need to rebuild comes from Cotterill failing this summer, we rebuilt last summer, had a small but solid League One side that took us up and then it was desperate that we not only added depth but added quality to it. We didn't and now we find ourselves with the base of a squad, tied together with loanees and potential to lose even more players in the upcoming summer. If we go down we need a rebuild, if we stay up we need a rebuild adding much better quality in the midfield. 

With regards to Leicester my point was about stability, not a direct comparison with our immediate situation.

Which players would you have gone for then? I see ideas on 'types' of players in your posts but no names!

2 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Which players would you have gone for then? I see ideas on 'types' of players in your posts but no names!

I'm neither a scout of manager, it's not my job to identify players and nor do I have the means to do so, our club however have a team of scouts and should have a list of targets long enough to cover any potential knock backs. I know you'll say "well if you can't name someone..." but the bottom line is I don't have a network at my personal disposal. When we hired Lee he must have had ideas of who we needed and the club should have had a list a mile long being as we were thin in numbers last season. I know for a fact if I were a manager and had a team working for me the first thing I'd want was a list of all Premier League youngesters with potential and wages within our price range and I'd have the scouts out identifying players for every position, not just where we're weak.

2 hours ago, Spike said:

I'm looking at both long and short term, long term is stability, short term we need to strengthen the midfield but instead have chosen to opt for a striker/winger who hasn't scored in 2 years. Other than experience what does he offer?

I'll let you know when I've seen him play for us a couple of times.

18 minutes ago, citylad05 said:

Terrific signing. I know its only a loan deal but it has to be up there with one of the great loan signings. really hope it works out for him. same feeling when we signed David James, Marcus Stewart & Bridges :laugh: But this one will work out :D COYR

Robert Fleck !

39 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Robert Fleck !

He was such a great signing at the time. Scottish international when Scotland were , errr, quite good- legend at Norwich and Chelsea's record signing at £2million. How times change- Chelsea would pay that for a 12yr old.

I guess some of our younger fans don't know  how broke we generally were as a club and how crap Mr Russe was as Chairman.

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

He was such a great signing at the time. Scottish international when Scotland were , errr, quite good- legend at Norwich and Chelsea's record signing at £2million. How times change- Chelsea would pay that for a 12yr old.

I guess some of our younger fans don't know  how broke we generally were as a club and how crap Mr Russe was as Chairman.

Good player Fleck. Think he only scored 1 goal for us but I remember a 0-0 draw down at Portsmouth, he was everywhere, and geeing the City fans up at corners like he was a dyed in the wool Bristolian.

Having said that, I hope Odemwingie has more of a Mark Robins type impact.

1 minute ago, glynriley said:

Good player Fleck. Think he only scored 1 goal for us but I remember a 0-0 draw down at Portsmouth, he was everywhere, and geeing the City fans up at corners like he was a dyed in the wool Bristolian.

Blimey - was it really only 1? All I can remember is that he injected passion and movement into a team that had no passion or movement!

3 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Just remembered that was my first and last visit to Fratton Park- the natives not being too friendly. I seem to remember that it was a big result for us at the time.

He looked classy, eager and inventive.

That said, he is not a winger. He did as well as he could have done, and actually fizzed in a nice little cross, but he needs to play down the middle. You could see him trying to get on the end of passes. However, he looks a quality player still.

He's one of those players whose work rate and work off the ball creates space and chances by itself. Would like to see him and Kodjia play off each other. 

1 minute ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Just remembered that was my first and last visit to Fratton Park- the natives not being too friendly. I seem to remember that it was a big result for us at the time.

Yep, was a pretty hairy day that. Remember walking out of a pub to be greeted by a wall of old bill with snarling dogs trying to stop some Pompey fans from coming in!

7 hours ago, Spike said:

I'm neither a scout of manager, it's not my job to identify players and nor do I have the means to do so, our club however have a team of scouts and should have a list of targets long enough to cover any potential knock backs. I know you'll say "well if you can't name someone..." but the bottom line is I don't have a network at my personal disposal. When we hired Lee he must have had ideas of who we needed and the club should have had a list a mile long being as we were thin in numbers last season. I know for a fact if I were a manager and had a team working for me the first thing I'd want was a list of all Premier League youngesters with potential and wages within our price range and I'd have the scouts out identifying players for every position, not just where we're weak.

Well do you know the club isn't already doing this? Preparing for the summer, sounding out agents and signings? Either way, the list of targets and responses from players/agents will be different depending on what league we finish, so we can't get ahead of ourselves.

Either way, you wanted us to sign someone for the future? You do realise the transfer window is closed? Limited to loan signings it's hard enough try to get someone in to improve the first team (see MK Dons with for example Maynard and JET - 0 goals), but you want to add on more conditions? Sounds like you're talking about - must want to sign for us in the summer (regardless of league), already decided wages (regardless of league) be young and for the future, yet good enough add to the first team squad now (attacking midfielder, you said?). That to me sounds like a very small niche of players to it those categories.

In my opinion PO is exactly the kind of player we need for the here and now. To get us out the sh*t.

I'm 100% sure MA is already sounding out players for next year, and as soon as our position in the championship is safe, firm offers will be made and the kind of quality players we want and need will be more likely to say yes to a permanent deal.

Looked dangerous at times today. One moment where Fredericks pushed him off the ball quite easily but I'll put that down to rust. Looks easily our quickest player on the ball. Made a great run from the wing that Matthews released a bit too late but a run no one else would be making. Saw his interview and said all the right things and seemed happy enough to be here. I've got a good feeling about him and if he does well I wouldn't say no to a permanent deal if wages and everything is right. Too early to say now but his first 45 were above average for me. Not bad for a 34 year old with not much game time for 2 years 

Archived