IGNORED

Odemwingie signs on loan (Merged)

Major Isewater

42 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Credit where credit is due, a great signing and another bit of solid business by Mark Ashton. 

I fail to see how it's a great signing.... the guy has only played 13 games in the past two seasons and hasn't scored a single goal. His best days were when he used his speed to cause problems, now he's 34 and not nearly as quick.
I do like the fact he'll bring experience but other than that I'm not seeing any reason to be excited, especially when we have a younger player who is far more prolific built in the same mould in Kodjia. I honestly hope the step down will be enough to help him find a scoring touch or we've just added another player that offers nothing and in all fairness I would much rather we'd have loaned in an enthusiast young attacking midfielder who could chip in with goals and creativity.

49 minutes ago, bris red said:

Where has been said that Odemwingie could become permanent mate?

Was mentioned further up the thread, but maybe from the Stoke forum as opposed to PO or LJ

37 minutes ago, Show Me The Money! said:

Sorry Woodsy, but at 34 I'd hope we weren't looking to sign Odemwinge permanently 

He could come in and tear the place up - 'tís only a number. My point was more along the lines of plans appear to be in place for the summer already, very much unlike this time last year.....and we had a much better idea of what league we'd be in then!

My mate from Stoke (poor kid!) just tx me this -

Ah mate! You've done well there, still think he was our most clinical striker.  His pace and control and solid as well, be really good for you, creates stuff out of nothing as well. Hope he comes back from his injury well, you should get a cracker of a player there though.

Sounds like all the Stoke fans online like him as well, we've just got to hope it doesn't take him long to get his match sharpness back.

6 minutes ago, Spike said:

I fail to see how it's a great signing.... the guy has only played 13 games in the past two seasons and hasn't scored a single goal. His best days were when he used his speed to cause problems, now he's 34 and not nearly as quick.
I do like the fact he'll bring experience but other than that I'm not seeing any reason to be excited, especially when we have a younger player who is far more prolific built in the same mould in Kodjia. I honestly hope the step down will be enough to help him find a scoring touch or we've just added another player that offers nothing and in all fairness I would much rather we'd have loaned in an enthusiast young attacking midfielder who could chip in with goals and creativity.

Would you not agree that he may be able to help Kodjia's game? As you say yourself, they are similar players. Add to that he probably speaks more French than anyone else at the club other than Kodjia.

2 minutes ago, Gazred said:

Would you not agree that he may be able to help Kodjia's game? As you say yourself, they are similar players. Add to that he probably speaks more French than anyone else at the club other than Kodjia.

Like I said, I like the experience but he still seems like something we don't need, we've still only got 4 goals across our entire midfield, we need some creativity behind the front players who can pitch in and contribute goals, not a 34 year old striker who hasn't scored in two seasons.

14 minutes ago, Spike said:

OK Spike, fair enough, I think most people seem happy. I'm personally excited with the experience and quality he brings. Exactly what we need in a relegation scrap. Someone whose been round the block and maybe can help guide our already young squad.

He'll be hungry I'm sure to get out and prove a point.

1 minute ago, Spike said:

Like I said, I like the experience but he still seems like something we don't need, we've still only got 4 goals across our entire midfield, we need some creativity behind the front players who can pitch in and contribute goals, not a 34 year old striker who hasn't scored in two seasons.

I don't think your doubts are unwarranted but as always, we have to wait and see.

Having a clinical striker seems to the difference in this league. What our stats are on converted chances are I don't know but they must be piss poor. Lots other teams seem to have a high conversion ratio, at least against us it would seem.

Would think he will take Freemans place in a 4-2-3-1 maybe -

ROD

Matthews     Flint     Baker     Goldbourne

Pack          Reid

Odemwingie     Tomlin     Bryan   

Kodjia 

Thoughts ?

Just a quick one, loved Wingie at Stoke. Sadly got a bad injury at Man City , now fully fit but behind Crouch and Joselu on the bench who are both knocking them in when they play. Seems he'll be on his way in the Summer and would be a great signing. Hope he bangs a few in for you. Just for the record, don't pay too much attention to that Stoke website linked above, decent Stoke fand don't go near it :-)   Be well 

14 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

ROD

Pack          Reid

Kodjia 

Thoughts ?

Reid out, Bryan in there & Freeman in where you have Bryan.

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

Reid out, Bryan in there & Freeman in where you have Bryan.

Yep more likely to be the actual line up but I would still like to see mine given a go. Think its time Freeman came out for a game or 2, could be very useful coming on for the last 30 mins.

24 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

ROD

Pack          Reid

Kodjia 

Thoughts ?

Reid in & Freeman out? Barmy.

8 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Yep more likely to be the actual line up but I would still like to see mine given a go. Think its time Freeman came out for a game or 2, could be very useful coming on for the last 30 mins.

That's true, as he's usually very useful when he starts. We'll just give him 60 minutes less time to be very useful in eh? Fiendish plan.

Stoke fan here. Odemwingie is a great signing for you. Changed our season when we signed him in January a couple of years back. Did his cruciate at the start of last season and only got back at the start of this season, but by then we'd signed Bojan, Shaqiri, Affelay, Joselu,  and Arnautovic so as you can imagine his game time has been limited - a few sub and cup appearances. Although he's lost a yard of pace he's still quicker than most players and very good technically. It's difficult to believe he's 34 how he runs around like a youngster. 

Archived