IGNORED

Odemwingie signs on loan (Merged)

Major Isewater

2 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Was mentioned further up the thread, but maybe from the Stoke forum as opposed to PO or LJ

He could come in and tear the place up - 'tís only a number. My point was more along the lines of plans appear to be in place for the summer already, very much unlike this time last year.....and we had a much better idea of what league we'd be in then!

Fair enough, I'm not trying to put a downer on us getting him in. Considering our position and how difficult it is finding strikers that would be worth signing on loan it's probably a better signing than we could have hoped for. We'll see how he gets on but my point was that I think his best days are probably behind him. Hope to be proved wrong

2 hours ago, Spike said:

Like I said, I like the experience but he still seems like something we don't need, we've still only got 4 goals across our entire midfield, we need some creativity behind the front players who can pitch in and contribute goals, not a 34 year old striker who hasn't scored in two seasons.

Totally respect your opinion mate, of course...but social media and forums etc must drive managers and players mad if they do actually read the stuff posted on them.

We needed a striker, LJ could only be expected to get an 'out of favour' one, so he gets one from a premier league club that has progressed beyond expectations recently (signing players from the likes of Barcelona!!!) and still people aren't happy?!

What more can he do??

Wilbs wasn't prolific at all before he came here and then he exploded! 

Odemwingie got 30 goals in 87 games for WBA, so he's got something, let's give him a chance?

3 hours ago, RedM said:

Thank you for posting, it's been a long long time since we loaned a player with such good reviews.

Yes I think the last one whose previous club's fans raved about was......Adam El Abd! Let's see how he looks on the pitch before making any hasty predictions shall we? 

3 hours ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

It will end in tears. A greedy player who has not scored for a couple of years. Bad for long term morale. Why would we want to sign a 34 year old permanently with his track record of injuries? Doesn't excite me at all. Back to the old days of signing past it players.

think he is lazy so forget tracking back and team shape without the ball.

cant see it myself.

Wow…………your a really "Glass Half Full" kind of guy

3 hours ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

It will end in tears. A greedy player who has not scored for a couple of years. Bad for long term morale. Why would we want to sign a 34 year old permanently with his track record of injuries? Doesn't excite me at all. Back to the old days of signing past it players.

think he is lazy so forget tracking back and team shape without the ball.

cant see it myself.

Well thanks for that cheerful insightful input . Don't slam the door on your way out though will you. 

lets face it, no-one on here has seen this guy play this season or know what his form is like in training. everyone is just going by what he has done in the past, good and bad, on and off the pitch, dismissing him because of his age. lets just sit back and let the guy do his stuff for us and then judge him on that. its the only way. if it comes off then great, if not then he's only here on loan so we can move on again. nothing to lose i say. we need experience and goals and maybe he can deliver. 

It'd be interesting to know how many 'bemoaners' based upon age saw just how invaluable Paul Hartley was, who joined us at a similar age. Probably the same people who bemoaned Wilbraham's signing: indeed I was one, but I tasted humble pie. 

Some comments/links from my Stokie buddy....

Decent player & very experienced, but a bit past it now, I think, and not done much since getting back from a bad injury about 18 months ago - Hope, however, he can turn it on for you & light up the end of your season!

A popular chap too -

Stoke fans´ view here - http://oatcakefanzine.proboards.com/thread/255093/wingie-joins-bristol-city-loan

14 hours ago, Spike said:

I fail to see how it's a great signing.... the guy has only played 13 games in the past two seasons and hasn't scored a single goal. His best days were when he used his speed to cause problems, now he's 34 and not nearly as quick.
I do like the fact he'll bring experience but other than that I'm not seeing any reason to be excited, especially when we have a younger player who is far more prolific built in the same mould in Kodjia. I honestly hope the step down will be enough to help him find a scoring touch or we've just added another player that offers nothing and in all fairness I would much rather we'd have loaned in an enthusiast young attacking midfielder who could chip in with goals and creativity.

11 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Really?...I didn't realise he is 34 either....feels like grabbing at straws.

I saw these comments and thought I had accidentally opened an archive thread about Wilbraham's signing.

3 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

He'll play about an hour I would think, judging by the fact that Matthews was played Tuesday despite being far from match fit.

Good point about Matthews.  Hopefully, Odemwingie's presence will cause disarray amongst the Fulham ranks.

They'll have a game plan worked out, be aware of the threats of our players, and then suddenly there's a new danger man thrown into the mix.

With a week of training with the squad, I can't wait to see Peter tear Bolton apart next Saturday!

Trust those seeking to make the loans to see us stay up.

Odemwingie's signing will have been given much thought, and I for one can't think of another striker, with experience, whom we could attract at this stage.  

Of course, this is football and nothing is certain, but this signing is as good as it gets

Here's to victory today

Keep believing and keep bouncing

4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Trust those seeking to make the loans to see us stay up.

Odemwingie's signing will have been given much thought, and I for one can't think of another striker, with experience, whom we could attract at this stage.  

Of course, this is football and nothing is certain, but this signing is as good as it gets

Here's to victory today

Keep believing and keep bouncing

If someone had suggested we were after Odemwingie I wouldn't have thought we'd had a chance of getting him, though I didn't realise he is 34

13 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Totally respect your opinion mate, of course...but social media and forums etc must drive managers and players mad if they do actually read the stuff posted on them.

We needed a striker, LJ could only be expected to get an 'out of favour' one, so he gets one from a premier league club that has progressed beyond expectations recently (signing players from the likes of Barcelona!!!) and still people aren't happy?!

What more can he do??

Wilbs wasn't prolific at all before he came here and then he exploded! 

Odemwingie got 30 goals in 87 games for WBA, so he's got something, let's give him a chance?

I've got a few WBA fans as friends, they build their attack around him so he was bound to be prolific when the attack is built around him and he was in his prime. From my understanding be didn't leave on good terms at all either. 

He's a different  player from the one he was at West Brom where he was fit, quicker and had great service and players around him. 

I guess we'll see, I hold be does prove me wrong too but even if he proves to help us stay up I wouldn't want him here permanently as he's too old. We have Wilbs and Odemwingie both getting to the end of their careers now, in my eyes they both need to go for next season. 

Absolutely delighted with this signing. 

3 minutes ago, Spike said:

I've got a few WBA fans as friends, they build their attack around him so he was bound to be prolific when the attack is built around him and he was in his prime. From my understanding be didn't leave on good terms at all either. 

He's a different  player from the one he was at West Brom where he was fit, quicker and had great service and players around him. 

I guess we'll see, I hold be does prove me wrong too but even if he proves to help us stay up I wouldn't want him here permanently as he's too old. We have Wilbs and Odemwingie both getting to the end of their careers now, in my eyes they both need to go for next season. 

Blimey. And I thought I was a bit premature about Smith.

Odemwingie - signed on loan,hasn't even played a game for us and you think he needs to go?

Let's give him the benefit of an hour's game time  before we confirm he's awful.

11 hours ago, 29AR said:

It'd be interesting to know how many 'bemoaners' based upon age saw just how invaluable Paul Hartley was, who joined us at a similar age. Probably the same people who bemoaned Wilbraham's signing: indeed I was one, but I tasted humble pie. 

Different positions, different impact on the game. Midfielders can largely impact the game with their experience and don't really have to shake players with pace of sharp movements. You only have to look at midfield footballers in their 30's, a lot of them play their best foot at that age, it's not the same with strikers. Striker's tend to tail off from the age of 30, not all, but most. 

Archived