33 minutes ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Would think he will take Freemans place in a 4-2-3-1 maybe -

ROD

Matthews     Flint     Baker     Goldbourne

Pack          Reid

Odemwingie     Tomlin     Bryan   

Kodjia 

Thoughts ?

Why the hell would we not play a 4-4-2 with both Kodjia & Odemwingie up top?

I think we could lineup a little like this.

I think the back 4 & keeper is a given.

ROD

Pack/Ayling

Freeman                                                  Bryan (I think he likes Bryan)

Tomlin

Front 2

Odemwingie    Kodjia 

I think then you have 1 of either Pack or Ayling (Given recent comments about him playing defensive midfield) with the 4 in a diamond or variation there of.  With the front 2 playing off each other, I expect he will start with Odemwingie.

1 minute ago, Lorenzos Only Goal said:

Why the hell would we not play a 4-4-2 with both Kodjia & Odemwingie up top?

I think we could lineup a little like this.

I think the back 4 & keeper is a given.

ROD

Pack/Ayling

Freeman                                                  Bryan (I think he likes Bryan)

Tomlin

Front 2

Odemwingie    Kodjia 

I think then you have 1 of either Pack or Ayling (Given recent comments about him playing defensive midfield) with the 4 in a diamond or variation there of.  With the front 2 playing off each other, I expect he will start with Odemwingie.

Potentially in future games, but as he's only joined us today I can't see much of a shift in tactics.

With Peter way down the pecking order at Stoke now, and not having his contract renewed there, he has the opportunity to show his real value here, and maybe get one last contract.

Hopefully he will play out of his skin to get a new one...either from us or another team.

You need an old head in amongst a young squad to give some experience and as we have seen, Wilbs is probably on his last season.

I understand he's one of those players like Giggs, who looks after themselves and has a natural fitness that belies their age.

I'm told he's on approx. £30,000 a week at Stoke...haven't the foggiest who's paying what in the deal.

Stoke also play 4231...so he will be used to how we play.

Can see him playing as a right attacking midfielder and sometimes up front.

Hopefully he turns out to be like Matt Smith was...on paper a good signing.

4 minutes ago, Geoff Leopard said:

Stoke fan here. Odemwingie is a great signing for you. Changed our season when we signed him in January a couple of years back. Did his cruciate at the start of last season and only got back at the start of this season, but by then we'd signed Bojan, Shaqiri, Affelay, Joselu,  and Arnautovic so as you can imagine his game time has been limited - a few sub and cup appearances. Although he's lost a yard of pace he's still quicker than most players and very good technically. It's difficult to believe he's 34 how he runs around like a youngster. 

Thank you for posting, it's been a long long time since we loaned a player with such good reviews.

1 hour ago, Spike said:

I fail to see how it's a great signing.... the guy has only played 13 games in the past two seasons and hasn't scored a single goal. His best days were when he used his speed to cause problems, now he's 34 and not nearly as quick.
I do like the fact he'll bring experience but other than that I'm not seeing any reason to be excited, especially when we have a younger player who is far more prolific built in the same mould in Kodjia. I honestly hope the step down will be enough to help him find a scoring touch or we've just added another player that offers nothing and in all fairness I would much rather we'd have loaned in an enthusiast young attacking midfielder who could chip in with goals and creativity.

Honestly, how many times have you actually watched Odemwingie? Sounds like you've just read the stats. Stoke fans rate him.

Who would you have signed then? It's all well and good saying "young, enthusiastic attacking midfielder" but who out there would you have gone for?

1 hour ago, Spike said:

Like I said, I like the experience but he still seems like something we don't need, we've still only got 4 goals across our entire midfield, we need some creativity behind the front players who can pitch in and contribute goals, not a 34 year old striker who hasn't scored in two seasons.

Agree on the creativity from midfield @Spike as it's been pitiful all season but who is there that would fit that mould at this stage on the season? In all honesty I don't think anyone saw this one coming and with the different options we have in attack now with Tomlin, Odemwingie & Kodjia creativity should not be a problem. 

19 minutes ago, Geoff Leopard said:
21 minutes ago, RedM said:

Thank you for posting, it's been a long long time since we loaned a player with such good reviews.

Stoke fan here. Odemwingie is a great signing for you. Changed our season when we signed him in January a couple of years back. Did his cruciate at the start of last season and only got back at the start of this season, but by then we'd signed Bojan, Shaqiri, Affelay, Joselu,  and Arnautovic so as you can imagine his game time has been limited - a few sub and cup appearances. Although he's lost a yard of pace he's still quicker than most players and very good technically. It's difficult to believe he's 34 how he runs around like a youngster. 

Have seen and heard nothing but positive words said about Peter...as well as a good player, a positive player in the changing room and total pro at the training ground.

It will end in tears. A greedy player who has not scored for a couple of years. Bad for long term morale. Why would we want to sign a 34 year old permanently with his track record of injuries? Doesn't excite me at all. Back to the old days of signing past it players.

think he is lazy so forget tracking back and team shape without the ball.

cant see it myself.

6 minutes ago, Geoff Leopard said:

He played right sided forward for us mostly. Played centrally and on the left occasionally as well. 

So in the formation you play at Stoke... 4231...the right side of the 3?

Nice to hear so many positive words from your fans about him....although he's lost a yard of pace, I understand he's still billy the wizz?

6 minutes ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

It will end in tears. A greedy player who has not scored for a couple of years. Bad for long term morale. Why would we want to sign a 34 year old permanently with his track record of injuries? Doesn't excite me at all. Back to the old days of signing past it players.

cant see it myself.

I love it when people who've not seen players week in week out make these sort of judgements. 

He's not lazy at all and puts a shift in defensively. 

Where do you get the greedy comment from? He is a very popular player amongst Stoke fans and players alike.

2 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Thats actually good news I think. If he does play on the right, that doesn't mean he can't get in the box regularly and score goals. I am wondering what the team would be if everyone was fit. On paper we suddenly look really strong with this signing.

If we get everyone fit, I agree.

Nice to have some options now.

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

So in the formation you play at Stoke... 4231...the right side of the 3?

Nice to hear so many positive words from your fans about him....although he's lost a yard of pace, I understand he's still billy the wizz?

Yeah that's generally where he played. He's lost a yard of pace but he's still pretty rapid.

5 minutes ago, Geoff Leopard said:

Yeah that's generally where he played. He's lost a yard of pace but he's still pretty rapid.

Cheers for that fella...as I thought.

Good luck with your season...hopefully we can emulate you soon.

Seems an eternity since we played you in 'that' cup final

1 hour ago, Ashtonwurzel said:

Would think he will take Freemans place in a 4-2-3-1 maybe -

ROD

Pack          Reid

Odemwingie     Tomlin     Bryan   

Kodjia 

Thoughts ?

Who in their right mind would put Reid in the side? League 2 at best...

37 minutes ago, Alwaystomorrow said:

cant see it myself.

You realise he's only on loan, yes?

5 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Yep. We have quality to come in for quality. I want to see Freeman on the left now and whip balls in early, with someone like Odemwingie coming in at the far post, it could work well as often we have been crossing to Kodjia who is not the best at getting onto crosses, and no one else making runs.

It'll be interesting to see who plays where, when Korey is fit again.

Bryan has done well in CM.

Options as attacking midfield now include Freeman, Tomlin, Bryan, Reid, Odemwingie

I've a gut feeling Freeman could be dropped unless he learns to release the ball quicker.

Odemwingie is exactly the type of player I understand LJ likes...fast and clinical.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

It'll be interesting to see who plays where, when Korey is fit again.

Bryan has done well in CM.

Options as attacking midfield now include Freeman, Tomlin, Bryan, Reid, Odemwingie

I've a gut feeling Freeman could be dropped unless he learns to release the ball quicker.

Odemwingie is exactly the type of player I understand LJ likes...fast and clinical.

Wonder if Freeman would be better placed on the left side and more likely to release it quicker on his favoured foot? I understood that's where he shone for Stevenage and oddly we have rarely played him in that position.

If odemwingie picks up form on that right side it could be a game changer in terms of our survival.

1 minute ago, Red Army 87 said:

Wonder if Freeman would be better placed on the left side and more likely to release it quicker on his favoured foot? I understood that's where he shone for Stevenage and oddly we have rarely played him in that position.

If odemwingie picks up form on that right side it could be a game changer in terms of our survival.

Agreed...and I'm sure it will be something tried and tested in training.

However...I'm still unconvinced with LF at this level.

He just over plays everything.

LJ is known for liking crisp, fast football...no doubting LF's skills, but i'm not convinced they will fit in with what LJ prefers.

Time will tell I suppose.

Archived