IGNORED

Danny Rose Starts

REDOXO

Smalling, Rose, Welbeck?!? Jesus christ is that the best we've got, Why the obsession sticking with the same terrible players especially Lallana? Smalling cant play in a back 4 and Rose can't defend, Hodgson is a senile old fool, the EUROs will be an embarrassment, why the **** didn't Hodgson walk or get sacked after the WC debacle?

Holy shit, we're doomed. Germany will thrash us 8-0 tonight

3 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

Smalling, Rose, Welbeck?!? Jesus christ is that the best we've got, Why the obsession sticking with the same terrible players especially Lallana? Smalling cant play in a back 4 and Rose can't defend, Hodgson is a senile old fool, the EUROs will be an embarrassment, why the **** didn't Hodgson walk or get sacked after the WC debacle?

Why are you questioning Welbeck and Smalling? Pretty sure Smalling did alright throughout qualifying and you can't deny Welbeck plays well England. 

4 minutes ago, CiderHider said:

Don't forget Henderson! His had a poor season yet still gets in. Same with Walcott. Fact is Roy has is favourites no matter how bad they're playing. Mark Noble over Henderson every time, yet Roy compares him to Grant Holt as a one season wonder where he has been consistently good for a few seasons. If Noble is a flash in the pan in his eyes what does that make Drinkwater? 

This was the perfect time to experiment with two up top in Vardy and Kane and he's played safe. We aren't going to learn anything new playing the likes of Lallana, Welbeck and Henderson. 

Also on Rose. I've noticed he's the only left back in the squad. Cue Clyne playing left back and Miner/Stones playing out of position as a right back vs Holland. Surely Cresswell deserves a chance? 

2 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Why are you questioning Welbeck and Smalling? Pretty sure Smalling did alright throughout qualifying and you can't deny Welbeck plays well England. 

They are both talentless lightweights and dont play well on the big stage, Welbeck has more airshots than he connects with, I find it hard to belive he's a pro footballer let alone an international, he is a decent athlete, but that's it, same with Smalling.

Their only redeeming feature is they once played for Utd

4 minutes ago, Shtanley said:

Smalling has had a very good season. Man United play boring uninspired football but generally defend well. He's also been paired next to a midfielder most of the season(Blind). 

Welbeck though isn't a winger and is consistently used out there. Hasn't played much this season either. I don't know why he is in the squad especially at wing. 

Danny Rose has started most games for the second best team in England this year. I've got no problem with him there. Not many options though. Baines seems past it. Betrand an option. Shaw hurt. I would've brought Cresswell though. 

The starting XI seems quite strong to me. Butland is defiantly second best and Hart is injured. Clyne has been one of the best RB in the league. Smalling has had a wonderful season. I don't really rate Cahill and would rather Stones who is at least capable of playing with the ball at his feet though is mistake prone. Rose been a good LB all year. Dier could be the most important player on Spurs not named Kane or Lloris. Breaks up play so the fullbacks can attack. I'd have Barkley in that 3 CM mix and not Henderson but he has probably the most international experience. Alli has been great all year. Kane I think leads the prem in goals now. Welbeck not a winger but not many fit options(or wing options in general). Lallana has been playing quite well recently so don't have a big problem with him being around the team either. 

For me it is a decent selection by Roy.  Surely we've learned by now that it us about selecting an eleven that fit the way Roy wants us to play...not just picking the best eleven players.

On a few of the contentious ones:

- Smalling: probably been the most consistent and best performing English qualified DC this season.  I would pair him with Cahill at this point in time due to his experience.  Stones has a helluva lot going for him, but a helluva lot to learn, and is currently not an auto start at Everton, albeit the guy he's playing alongside is a 'bombscare' defensively.  Smalling isn't a great footballer, but I want our DCs to defend first, play football second.  We have been spolied by the likes of Rio, a top class defender (boy to have him 10 years younger) who could play who was actually very disciplined.

- Rose: Roy has said he wants to see what he's like.  He said he could've picked Gibbs and Baines (who has never recreated club form or style at a International level), but wanted to see Rose and the now injured Bertrand.  I guess the debate is over the non-selection of Cresswell, who has impressed me, but maybe Rose got the nod over the familiarity with his Spurs colleagues.  Could've gone either way.  I'd go with Rose, Gibbs or Cresswell over Baines.  Gibbs has looked very comfy when playing for England.

- Welbeck: Although someone who doesn't look too technical, a lot of pros have commented how good he actually is...and I think it is view of the fan that clouds the judgement as to how effective he is for England.  Anyone spot Huw much more effective Rooney was away v Switzerland with DW up and alongside him.  He can play in that wide forward role, stretches the opposition, can run in behind, and has super energy to help his full back out.  He has that uncanny knack of nicking the ball off of defenders or getting the touch away from a sliding defender, getting brought down in dangerous set play territory.  Oh, yeah, 14 goals in 33 games too.  And finally came back into Arsenal team looking fresh and full of running.  Massively underrated in a team game.

- Henderson: Roy wants a runner in there, that what you get.  Technically decent, but no Gerrard (who is?  See later).  I think he has been very steady for England.  Would I have given Noble a go?  No, not seen enough of his influence on West Ham this season.  Not saying he hasn't, Idont see him enough.  Think JH could play RB too.  I was however surprised to see Drinkwater was 26, however I guess his Man Utd 'upbringing' might just have tempted Roy to think he might be a later developer, and tipped him ahead of Noble.  Fine Lines!

Now to some less contentious:

- Alli: how can he get in?  Wade Elliott was much better than him at the MK game last season!  Seriously, this lad is our future.  He is the next Gerrard, in fact I think he will surpass Gerrard.  Huge statement I know, but I think he has it all.  The link with Kane will show that....

- Kane: is the main man up top, no longer Rooney.  For a while I couldn't quite understand the fuss apart from the goals. He doesn't really excel at anything (except goals record), but what I now appreciate is that he's just bloody good all round.  He will offer us much more than Rooney or Sturridge (who maybe just lacks something at international level imho), can run the channels, but will pop up in goal scoring positions often.  I'm too young, but is he a bit Hurst like (don't drag the WC hatrick into it, I'm in about the way he plays)?

The others:

- Butland: who else

- Clyne: we are lacking RBs....Walker at back-up is good club player, but not international level imho

- Dier: been doing well for Spurs in that role.  Carrick flatters to deceive at club level let alone England. Why not?  Plus the Spurs link-up will be interesting.

- Lallana: technically gifted, but needs end product.  One of the best receivers of a ball in the Prem on either foot, but a lot to prove.

- Cahill: already mentioned.

The sub who may feel aggrieved:

- Barkley: getting better, but not having such a great time since Xmas as Everton falter.  Will sways be just short of what's needed imho.  Harsh probably.  Think his ultimate decision making is the problem.

- Vardy: expect to see him start the next game

Therefore I'm quite happy with the side.  But before we all criticise, remember who we are playing, and don't write off players if we get taught a lesson.

3 minutes ago, archie andrews said:

surprised catspiss milner aint playing

Been Liverpool's best player this season.  That's not to say he's fulfilled that early promise though....shame.  Versatility will earn his place in the squad....and Roy's loyalty.

1 hour ago, CiderHider said:

There was a toilet related problem?

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

For me it is a decent selection by Roy.  Surely we've learned by now that it us about selecting an eleven that fit the way Roy wants us to play...not just picking the best eleven players.

On a few of the contentious ones:

- Smalling: probably been the most consistent and best performing English qualified DC this season.  I would pair him with Cahill at this point in time due to his experience.  Stones has a helluva lot going for him, but a helluva lot to learn, and is currently not an auto start at Everton, albeit the guy he's playing alongside is a 'bombscare' defensively.  Smalling isn't a great footballer, but I want our DCs to defend first, play football second.  We have been spolied by the likes of Rio, a top class defender (boy to have him 10 years younger) who could play who was actually very disciplined.

- Rose: Roy has said he wants to see what he's like.  He said he could've picked Gibbs and Baines (who has never recreated club form or style at a International level), but wanted to see Rose and the now injured Bertrand.  I guess the debate is over the non-selection of Cresswell, who has impressed me, but maybe Rose got the nod over the familiarity with his Spurs colleagues.  Could've gone either way.  I'd go with Rose, Gibbs or Cresswell over Baines.  Gibbs has looked very comfy when playing for England.

- Welbeck: Although someone who doesn't look too technical, a lot of pros have commented how good he actually is...and I think it is view of the fan that clouds the judgement as to how effective he is for England.  Anyone spot Huw much more effective Rooney was away v Switzerland with DW up and alongside him.  He can play in that wide forward role, stretches the opposition, can run in behind, and has super energy to help his full back out.  He has that uncanny knack of nicking the ball off of defenders or getting the touch away from a sliding defender, getting brought down in dangerous set play territory.  Oh, yeah, 14 goals in 33 games too.  And finally came back into Arsenal team looking fresh and full of running.  Massively underrated in a team game.

- Henderson: Roy wants a runner in there, that what you get.  Technically decent, but no Gerrard (who is?  See later).  I think he has been very steady for England.  Would I have given Noble a go?  No, not seen enough of his influence on West Ham this season.  Not saying he hasn't, Idont see him enough.  Think JH could play RB too.  I was however surprised to see Drinkwater was 26, however I guess his Man Utd 'upbringing' might just have tempted Roy to think he might be a later developer, and tipped him ahead of Noble.  Fine Lines!

Now to some less contentious:

- Alli: how can he get in?  Wade Elliott was much better than him at the MK game last season!  Seriously, this lad is our future.  He is the next Gerrard, in fact I think he will surpass Gerrard.  Huge statement I know, but I think he has it all.  The link with Kane will show that....

- Kane: is the main man up top, no longer Rooney.  For a while I couldn't quite understand the fuss apart from the goals. He doesn't really excel at anything (except goals record), but what I now appreciate is that he's just bloody good all round.  He will offer us much more than Rooney or Sturridge (who maybe just lacks something at international level imho), can run the channels, but will pop up in goal scoring positions often.  I'm too young, but is he a bit Hurst like (don't drag the WC hatrick into it, I'm in about the way he plays)?

The others:

- Butland: who else

- Clyne: we are lacking RBs....Walker at back-up is good club player, but not international level imho

- Dier: been doing well for Spurs in that role.  Carrick flatters to deceive at club level let alone England. Why not?  Plus the Spurs link-up will be interesting.

- Lallana: technically gifted, but needs end product.  One of the best receivers of a ball in the Prem on either foot, but a lot to prove.

- Cahill: already mentioned.

The sub who may feel aggrieved:

- Barkley: getting better, but not having such a great time since Xmas as Everton falter.  Will sways be just short of what's needed imho.  Harsh probably.  Think his ultimate decision making is the problem.

- Vardy: expect to see him start the next game

Therefore I'm quite happy with the side.  But before we all criticise, remember who we are playing, and don't write off players if we get taught a lesson.

You don't think Barkley will make it at international level?

In my opinion we should build the team around this guy, he has everything!

3 minutes ago, yardy said:

You don't think Barkley will make it at international level?

In my opinion we should build the team around this guy, he has everything!

I'm sure he'll play a good number of games, but don't think he'll ever be a Gazza, which a lot of people think he will.

I would build it around Alli.

Both could play....I actually feel we are embarking on a period with some bright, young players.  Not enough to win a major tourney, but be a quarter-final and better with less of a struggle.

2 hours ago, CiderHider said:

They are both talentless lightweights and dont play well on the big stage, Welbeck has more airshots than he connects with, I find it hard to belive he's a pro footballer let alone an international, he is a decent athlete, but that's it, same with Smalling.

Their only redeeming feature is they once played for Utd

Smalling still does....

2 hours ago, CiderHider said:

What better vindication could there be for keeping Hodgson than a 100% qualifying record for the Euros and a +28 goal difference? What exactly would a new coach have done better?

Every time the England team struggle, the first suggestion is to sack the manager. Given that the team continue to struggle from one manager to the next - many of whom had proven records of success elsewhere before taking the job - does that not suggest that the manager is perhaps not the root cause of the problem?

I am happy to give credit to the FA for sticking with Hodgson despite a difficult World Cup. For once it shows something more than a reactionary, knee jerk response. And it also has to be recognised that failing to get out of a group that had two better teams in it than us - Italy and Uruguay - was not quite the disgrace some would have you believe. Simply, England are not that good, we have few world-class players, and no amount of changing the manager would change that. There are far more fundamental underlying problems.

Archived