IGNORED

Danny Rose Starts

REDOXO

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

Really entertaining game and richly deserved victory. A few points:

The England kit was appalling. Blue socks - in particular-  and 'mauve' shoulders are completely unacceptable and just look completely s***. Where was the white? The flag of St.George is mostly white, and our colours should always be red and white, and NEVER ******* blue.

The team are representing England, not Great Britain. The blue in the badge is irrelevant.

Smalling isn't the weak link in England's defence, Cahill is and has been for some time. One obvious reason why keeping a totally unchanged team would be the wrong decision.

That dirge from the England fans in the 2nd half which seemed to go on for about 20 minutes was horrendous, and incredibly annoying. They seemed to enjoy it, but on behalf of the watching millions, we bloody well didn't. Well done to those England fans who eventually drowned out the nonsense with the Hey Jude variant.

We're told Rooney will apparently be replacing Lothar Matthaus as a pundit for the Holland match. I don't care if Matthaus was only there because we were playing Germany, those bulgy beady eyes and mixed up sentences were hilarious, he was pure entertainment. Very fair with his comments too. Keep him for every match I say - who said Germans couldn't be funny? :clapping:

9 hours ago, CiderHider said:

Smalling, Rose, Welbeck?!? Jesus christ is that the best we've got, Why the obsession sticking with the same terrible players especially Lallana? Smalling cant play in a back 4 and Rose can't defend, Hodgson is a senile old fool, the EUROs will be an embarrassment, why the **** didn't Hodgson walk or get sacked after the WC debacle?

Holy shit, we're doomed. Germany will thrash us 8-0 tonight

:blink:

2 hours ago, Super said:

Why on earth would you have him on the right?

I would have Rooney in the team ahead of either Lallana or Wellbeck. I think the quality of player is more important than where they play and that in the modern game they should all be inter-changing places to confuse the opposition.

27 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The England kit was appalling. Blue socks - in particular-  and 'mauve' shoulders are completely unacceptable and just look completely s***. Where was the white? The flag of St.George is mostly white, and our colours should always be red and white, and NEVER ******* blue.

The team are representing England, not Great Britain. The blue in the badge is irrelevant.

Smalling isn't the weak link in England's defence, Cahill is and has been for some time. One obvious reason why keeping a totally unchanged team would be the wrong decision.

That dirge from the England fans in the 2nd half which seemed to go on for about 20 minutes was horrendous, and incredibly annoying. They seemed to enjoy it, but on behalf of the watching millions, we bloody well didn't. Well done to those England fans who eventually drowned out the nonsense with the Hey Jude variant.

We're told Rooney will apparently be replacing Lothar Matthaus as a pundit for the Holland match. I don't care if Matthaus was only there because we were playing Germany, those bulgy beady eyes and mixed up sentences were hilarious, he was pure entertainment. Very fair with his comments too. Keep him for every match I say - who said Germans couldn't be funny? :clapping:

The argument for just red and white is a poor one. We've had blue in the national strip for, well, ages. The Germans wear white and often green, neither colour appears on their flag. The Italians wear Blue, not on their flag. The N. Irish wear Green, not on their flag. The england cricket teams kit is often blue. 

I liked the dirge, had a wee sing along at home. 

I agree with the rest of your points, although who do you play ahead of Cahill? Stones has been in poor for and Jagielka is rather meh. I fear centre half is a weakness, which is a shame as just 10 years ago we were arguing about who to play out of Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, King and Carragher. 

32 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Loads of England kits have had blue on them. We've had all-blue away shirts in the past. What's the big deal? The flag argument doesn't really stack up. Germany wear white but there's no white in their flag...Australia wear yellow....Italy wear blue....

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Loads of England kits have had blue on them. We've had all-blue away shirts in the past. What's the big deal? The flag argument doesn't really stack up. Germany wear white but there's no white in their flag...Australia wear yellow....Italy wear blue....

Beat yah to it :P

8 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

The argument for just red and white is a poor one. We've had blue in the national strip for, well, ages. The Germans wear white and often green, neither colour appears on their flag. The Italians wear Blue, not on their flag. The N. Irish wear Green, not on their flag. The england cricket teams kit is often blue. 

I liked the dirge, had a wee sing along at home. 

I agree with the rest of your points, although who do you play ahead of Cahill? Stones has been in poor for and Jagielka is rather meh. I fear centre half is a weakness, which is a shame as just 10 years ago we were arguing about who to play out of Terry, Ferdinand, Campbell, King and Carragher. 

Maybe not on this seasons form, but certainly last season Terry still could have done a job.

Why was Terry forced out for "racism" yet Vardy's becoming a national treasure?

9 hours ago, Maltshoveller said:

Please name a center back who does not hold/cheat

Watch all the best defenders, they ALL do it 

I'm not suggesting that any player doesn't do it at all. Smalling, however, has made it a distinguishing feature of his game. 

8 minutes ago, MarcusX said:

Maybe not on this seasons form, but certainly last season Terry still could have done a job.

Why was Terry forced out for "racism" yet Vardy's becoming a national treasure?

I think a marked difference is one admitted it and immediately apologised one disputed he ever said anything and, given his previous, cumatively showed his disrepute for all good manners on the FAs findings.

Both inexcusable, but one showed remorse. 

I'd have Stones in there over Cahill now. Stones has the capability to bring the ball out, and with Dier seemingly being the hard midfielder England have needed for sometime, he can fill the gaps left by Stones.

I'd also drop Henderson, for who I don't yet know, but Wilshere does play very well for England. There's also Drinkwater as another option.

Butland, for me, should be number 1 in the euros. Just hope he hasn't done serious harm to himself by attempting to play on, which also resulted in a conceded goal.

10 hours ago, CiderHider said:

Smalling, Rose, Welbeck?!? Jesus christ is that the best we've got, Why the obsession sticking with the same terrible players especially Lallana? Smalling cant play in a back 4 and Rose can't defend, Hodgson is a senile old fool, the EUROs will be an embarrassment, why the **** didn't Hodgson walk or get sacked after the WC debacle?

Holy shit, we're doomed. Germany will thrash us 8-0 tonight

10 hours ago, CotswoldRed said:

Smalling simply can't play without holding/cheating. If he gets found out by referees at the Euros he'll be a bloody liability. 

I'm unsure if you are both morons or deluded, Smalling has been the best centre half in the Prem and has looked assured and confident this season. Considering the other options of Stones, who had a good start and now and now can't get into the Everton starting line-up because he has been very inconsistent, or Jagielka, who noone ever thought he was an England centre half, Smalling is the best we have and a much better than Gary Cahill in that position

4 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

I'd have Stones in there over Cahill now. Stones has the capability to bring the ball out, and with Dier seemingly being the hard midfielder England have needed for sometime, he can fill the gaps left by Stones.

I'd also drop Henderson, for who I don't yet know, but Wilshere does play very well for England. There's also Drinkwater as another option.

Butland, for me, should be number 1 in the euros. Just hope he hasn't done serious harm to himself by attempting to play on, which also resulted in a conceded goal.

I think that in a few years, Butland will be better than Hart, who is often overated by many, however Hart always seems confident which Butland does not yet in an England Jersey. Maybe in 2018, but not now for me.

4 hours ago, Bar BS3 said:

4 minutes ago, Welcome To The Jungle said:

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The previous England kits containing blue were manufactured under the bewildering misapprehension that England's kit should for some reason incorporate all the colours of the Union Jack/ Flag. In the same way some fans following the England team mistakenly carried the Union Jack to show their support, rather than that of England.

Since the re - emergence of the flag of St. George to represent the England team in the mid 90's - something that only changed after many of us campaigned for it by continuously complaining to the media whenever they wrongly represented England on screen with the Union Jack  - it has been well understood, and welcomed by most, that England's flag is that of St. George, and our national colours are red and white.

Putting blue - associated with Scotland - back into the England kit is a backward step and nothing short of absurd.

BTW, Most national teams do sport the colours of their flag. I don't really care if Germany or Italy choose not to. We are England, and the team that represents England should surely be doing so while proudly wearing our correct national colours.

12 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

The previous England kits containing blue were manufactured under the bewildering misapprehension that England's kit should for some reason incorporate all the colours of the Union Jack/ Flag. In the same way some fans following the England team mistakenly carried the Union Jack to show their support, rather than that of England.

Since the re - emergence of the flag of St. George to represent the England team in the mid 90's - something that only changed after many of us campaigned for it by continuously complaining to the media whenever they wrongly represented England on screen with the Union Jack  - it has been well understood, and welcomed by most, that England's flag is that of St. George, and our national colours are red and white.

Putting blue - associated with Scotland - back into the England kit is a backward step and nothing short of absurd.

BTW, Most national teams do sport the colours of their flag. I don't really care if Germany or Italy choose not to. We are England, and the team that represents England should surely be doing so while proudly wearing our correct national colours.

Or maybe not. White with blue shorts with red trim at home and red away is what we wear. Just because most do it, doesn't mean we must. Looking through the History of our kits we have had blue for basiclly every single kit. No need to change it as whether you like it or not, it represents our footballing history, and when people all over the world think of England, they think of White, Blue and red. That is our identity as a team.

29 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

When I look back of footage of the World Cup final in 66. All I see is Union Jacks.

6 hours ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

Butland instead of Hart?  Are you kidding me?

Hart has never let England down and is consistently excellent for Man City.  

Gialuigi Buffon says he is the best keeper in the world, Peter Schmeichal has him third and David Seaman has him top five.

But you'd rather have Butland!  Wowzers.  

7 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I think the "blue" in Scotland's kit is slightly different than that on the England kit. A bit petty in my view. Personally I associate deep fried mars bars, hatred for the English, poverty, stunning scenery, tartan and haggis with Scotland, not the colour blue.

10 hours ago, RedSA said:

Sorry, but if you're criticising this performance you being a cynical douche. 

Some very positive signs, revolving around the Tottenham core group. You can tell those guys have been getting some top coaching. 

Which begs the question - when Roy goes would you have Potchitino? He would embrace the youth from the off and play players based on form not stature 

Result - 10/10 ...(any win over the Germans deserves a 10)

Performance/team - 8/10

Strip/Kit - 1/10 ... (WTF was THAT?)

Goal quality - England's 10/10 (inc brilliant timing for a Cruyff Turn, performed to perfection taking two defenders out and the ball ends up in the net!)

(sort that kit out though England what a miss-matched balls up of style/colour that is - saved only by the quality of the players wearing it - its 50 years on back to traditional '66 style please!)

Can I just point out that at no point in that game did England play 4-4-2 as some have suggested. When Vardy came on he was lining up to the left of Kane, which I think is a great place to play him as he was cutting into the box and evidently was difficult to pick up. You could argue that in possession we were at times playing a kind of diamond when in possession, but really the front three were more fluid than that and Ali had much more of a free role than a diamond would allow

I thought England were excellent with a few exceptions. Cahill and Smalling did not convince, personally I'd go with Stones and Smalling purely for Stones' ability on the ball- while he has his faults defensively, so does Cahill. Dier didn't stand out as such (other than a goal) but you can see what he brings; finally a defensive midfielder who knows how to play the role. The only concern is that you can see him picking up suspensions in a tournament. Ali was phenomenal and has to start if fit, Kane and Vardy both showed the difference with having natural goal scorers on the pitch- you just need that half chance. On the negatives, Lallana didn't do a great deal for me, neither did Henderson. Welbeck did what he does, but has neither the goal threat of Vardy nor the creativity of Barkley. I'd definitely take him though for his work rate and ability to control the ball in tight spots. Both full backs played well without screaming "must pick" and both are clearly better going forward than defending, as is the modern way. As for Rooney, if he's fit he'll go and he should; he's clearly respected by the squad and can help the younger players. But I don't see how he can start given the form/performances of Kane, Ali and Vardy. Just don't see where he fits in

My 1st XI would be;

Hart

Clyne. Smalling. Stones. Rose (Shaw if he was going to be match fit, but he won't be)

Barkley. Dier. Ali

Sterling. Kane. Vardy

14 hours ago, CiderHider said:

I guarantee you Smalling will make errors and Welbeck won't get near the ball let alone score or create a goal. 

Welbeck is the epitome of the overrated player, if he was any good at international level a top side would have picked him up, but he has developed into lightweight sicknote so he fits perfectly where he is. 

Thought Welbeck did well enough.  Got to remember Roy wants players to play in a given formation.  He is effective in that left forward role.  Emre Can was made to look awful last night.

Smalling is not the concern in the middle if the back four, but I'd still play Cahill over Stones.  Give Cahill a chance to build a partnership with Smslling

13 hours ago, eastonboy said:

I hope Roy lets Clyne know we are playing in red for the second half

I thought Clyne had HIS best game for England, just like he did for LFC V MU the other night.  Might be growing into a player that is beginning to get comfy at the top level.

2 hours ago, RedDave said:

Butland instead of Hart?  Are you kidding me?

Hart has never let England down and is consistently excellent for Man City.  

Gialuigi Buffon says he is the best keeper in the world, Peter Schmeichal has him third and David Seaman has him top five.

But you'd rather have Butland!  Wowzers.  

Harts not consistently excellent for Man City, that's the thing. He lets in far to many sloppy goals, and his kicking often ends up with the ball coming straight back. 

Butland, however, is two footed, always kicks into good areas, and commands his box far better than Hart, and that's why I'd have him over Harr.

12 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

Harts not consistently excellent for Man City, that's the thing. He lets in far to many sloppy goals, and his kicking often ends up with the ball coming straight back. 

Butland, however, is two footed, always kicks into good areas, and commands his box far better than Hart, and that's why I'd have him over Harr.

I'd have Hart cos he's a better all round keeper and wouldn't have let in that first goal last night 

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

Thought Welbeck did well enough.  Got to remember Roy wants players to play in a given formation.  He is effective in that left forward role.  Emre Can was made to look awful last night.

Smalling is not the concern in the middle if the back four, but I'd still play Cahill over Stones.  Give Cahill a chance to build a partnership with Smslling

I thought Clyne had HIS best game for England, just like he did for LFC V MU the other night.  Might be growing into a player that is beginning to get comfy at the top level.

Can is a top player has had a great season for Liverpool but he is not a full back. 

13 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

I would have Rooney in the team ahead of either Lallana or Wellbeck. I think the quality of player is more important than where they play and that in the modern game they should all be inter-changing places to confuse the opposition.

Trouble is Wayne can't run much these days.  The high energy and pressing game we played is simply not for him.  Lallana nicked the ball of the Germans in their half on a number of occasions but England failed to take advantage.  Play Rooney and the pressing game goes out the window. Much the same for Sturridge too, who Klopp seems to be playing in order to get the best price for him in the summer..

Cahill isn't good enough.  Without John Terry holding his hand, he's average at best internationally.  If we pick solid defensively sound full backs (Clyne and either Rose or Bertrand), surely we can fit Stones in alongside Smalling to add some composure on the ball?  There are a lot of options in attack, but the truth is our chances are predicated on us defending properly.  Balotelli's winner in the World Cup featured poor full back play from both Baines and Glen Johnson.  Need to learn our lesson.  

Archived