IGNORED

Danny Rose Starts

REDOXO

15 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

Completely disagree. That's forums though. Think Cahill is the shaky one. Looks shaky at Chelsea and usually does for England as well. Smalling while not perfect is an out and out defender and think the best option. I'd play Stones as I at least think he'll deal with pressing a bit better. Stones is just as shaky as any English CB so might as well get him all the experience he can get. Though you're right about the lack of options. 

Cahill has been in John Terry's sights pretty much all of the last few years at Chelsea and looked pants on his own at the last WC. I wont forget the suarez goal when all we needed to make the next game count was a point!

Cahill as captain is not what you need and the bloke on the pitch in an England game is a poor goal waiting to happen. Goal one he almost handed the German an invitation to shoot and when the shot came in he turned out of the way to leave an injured Butland with no chance. Goal 2 completely under the ball with Clyne on the wrong side to leave the guy a free header.

RH would not have missed that!

Going forward we are as good as anything and last night proved it, we need to be looking closely at our back four, but to be fair thought Rose did OK and Clyne showed he is a threat on the overlap!

Once Kane got England in it we looked like we could win it....But for my tupence as good as Kanes goal was (and it was a great goal) Vardy's was better, great move great great finish!...finally an England friendly worth watching!! And now Roy needs to really thinking about Kane and Vardy starting together...Hard running fast striker with an eye for goal and a natural born finisher, would you want to see those two? Germany didn't!

12 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Cahill has been in John Terry's sights pretty much all of the last few years at Chelsea and looked pants on his own at the last WC. I wont forget the suarez goal when all we needed to make the next game count was a point!

Cahill as captain is not what you need and the bloke on the pitch in an England game is a poor goal waiting to happen. Goal one he almost handed the German an invitation to shoot and when the shot came in he turned out of the way to leave an injured Butland with no chance. Goal 2 completely under the ball with Clyne on the wrong side to leave the guy a free header.

Going forward we are as good as anything and last night proved it, we need to be looking closely at our back four, but to be fair thought Rose did OK and Clyne showed he is a threat on the overlap!

Once Kane got England in it we looked like we could win it....But for my tupence as good as Kanes goal was (and it was a great goal) Vardy's was better, great move great great finish!...finally an England friendly worth watching!! And now Roy needs to really thinking about Kane and Vardy starting together...Hard running fast striker with an eye for goal and a natural born finisher, would you want to see those two? Germany didn't!

Agree 100% about Cahill but a bit harsh on Clyne who would've needed stilts to compete with Gomez in the air.  As I intimated above, we only have one decent centre half with Stones being promising at best. Might as well go with him as he will benefit from the experience.

One problem Hodgson has is that the captain and vice captain and keeper are not as sure of their places as they were.  The most secure players I think are Henderson and Smalling

5 hours ago, Tomarse said:

Which begs the question - when Roy goes would you have Potchitino? He would embrace the youth from the off and play players based on form not stature 

I reckon Ranieri will be seriously considered if he wins the league. Can't see us ever appointing an Argentine no matter how well he does managing here.

18 hours ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Walker is the biggest improvement at Spurs. Nowhere near as headless as he used to be and a much better crosser of the ball than Clyne.

Still not as good as Clyne though.

Wonder who Pochettino thinks is better.  He's managed both of them.

16 hours ago, CyderInACan said:

Danny Rose was an utter shitehawk for us, to think he's gone on to have the career he has is baffling. 

But we played him in left wing. 

29 minutes ago, REDOXO said:

Agree with a lot of this.  Other than I think you can place blame on Dier for the first goal as well. No one went to stop Kroos from dribbling forward and stop him from shooting and Dier was right there pointing at something. Was an odd goal though. The second goal reminded me of Rondon's goal at the gate this year in the FA cup. Great ball and good finishes but Cahill like Flint lost his man and was in no mans land. 

Kane and Vardy would be fantastic to see. Wing options are still a problem. Assuming flat 442, the wings would need to track back as well. I'm not sure who could do both. I do like this 433 look they've got at the moment. The 3 CM being vital. Alli and Dier are musts. I get Henderson playing for his motor but he just looked out of place last night to me. The wings you would have strikers doing a job. You could have Welbeck, Kane and Vardy all interchanging and pressing which could be even deadlier. I'm not sure who else could fit this. I'd say Sturridge but you won't get the same pressing. Could Rooney do a job in one of these roles? 

It is the defence that needs work. Rose played quite well last night. Thought Clyne defensively was poor and he has been for club for a few matches now for me. I'm not sure Walker is the answer either but at least they are bty decent going forward. Cahill, Stones and Smalling are the 3 best options I guess. I'd rather see stones and Smalling as a pairing though. Stones for on the ball and Smalling for defending. It's a problem position for England as it doesn't seem there are more options in the waiting. Last time I watched the U21s I saw Liam Moore score(about a year ago I would guess). He couldn't even get game time here(injured and situation aside). You have Calum Chambers who is more of a right back at best and not too impressive. Then you get to the like of Lascelles from newcastle, Galloway from Everton, then you get down to 16 year olds like Oxford from West Ham. Also Joe Gomez from liverpool. Maybe some late bloomers can help but it doesn't look great especially with Dier playing in midfield.

10 minutes ago, The Bard said:

Agree 100% about Cahill but a bit harsh on Clyne who would've needed stilts to compete with Gomez in the air.  As I intimated above, we only have one decent centre half with Stones being promising at best. Might as well go with him as he will benefit from the experience.

One problem Hodgson has is that the captain and vice captain and keeper are not as sure of their places as they were.  The most secure players I think are Henderson and Smalling

Smalling definately!

I like Henderson and I guess that's Roy's call! Yes I read your assessment regarding Stones earlier and I agree. What we know is Cahill is past his sell by date and is Suspect and to be frank so does everyone we play. However the guys not going anywhere and is a shoe in to be in the sqaud for the tournament. I agree Stones should start with Smalling against the Dutch to see if there is a partnership that can be built.

This England team are young and hungry....Rooney is no longer the first name on the team sheet, although I would think if fit he will be very close, and I believe have a chance of doing something this year....Although I always do...:laugh:!  

4 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Agree with a lot of this.  Other than I think you can place blame on Dier for the first goal as well. No one went to stop Kroos from dribbling forward and stop him from shooting and Dier was right there pointing at something. Was an odd goal though. The second goal reminded me of Rondon's goal at the gate this year in the FA cup. Great ball and good finishes but Cahill like Flint lost his man and was in no mans land. 

Kane and Vardy would be fantastic to see. Wing options are still a problem. Assuming flat 442, the wings would need to track back as well. I'm not sure who could do both. I do like this 433 look they've got at the moment. The 3 CM being vital. Alli and Dier are musts. I get Henderson playing for his motor but he just looked out of place last night to me. The wings you would have strikers doing a job. You could have Welbeck, Kane and Vardy all interchanging and pressing which could be even deadlier. I'm not sure who else could fit this. I'd say Sturridge but you won't get the same pressing. Could Rooney do a job in one of these roles? 

It is the defence that needs work. Rose played quite well last night. Thought Clyne defensively was poor and he has been for club for a few matches now for me. I'm not sure Walker is the answer either but at least they are bty decent going forward. Cahill, Stones and Smalling are the 3 best options I guess. I'd rather see stones and Smalling as a pairing though. Stones for on the ball and Smalling for defending. It's a problem position for England as it doesn't seem there are more options in the waiting. Last time I watched the U21s I saw Liam Moore score(about a year ago I would guess). He couldn't even get game time here(injured and situation aside). You have Calum Chambers who is more of a right back at best and not too impressive. Then you get to the like of Lascelles from newcastle, Galloway from Everton, then you get down to 16 year olds like Oxford from West Ham. Also Joe Gomez from liverpool. Maybe some late bloomers can help but it doesn't look great especially with Dier playing in midfield.

Galloway and Joe Gomez are the future for England. Shame Gomez got a season ending injury, as I think he would have really made an impression, and helped a really poor Liverpool defence.

45 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

Galloway and Joe Gomez are the future for England. Shame Gomez got a season ending injury, as I think he would have really made an impression, and helped a really poor Liverpool defence.

Galloway has looked decent when I've seen him. I haven't seen much of Gomez though. Harry Maguire and Michael Keane are relatively young(22-23) and have looked as impressive of CB as I've seen in the league so maybe they are on to bigger things soon. Know Keane came up in Man U and has been linked with Everton recently(along with GK Bentley who maybe has an England future if he keeps improving). 

Archived