IGNORED

We absolutely have to sign Kemar Roofe

reddogkev

Now, despite the title of this thread, in slightly controversial fashion I've never seen him play, as I don't have the opportunity to catch any League 2 football, yet from everything I've read about him on here, and scanning several match reports, and considering his goal-scoring exploits, I reckon he is a must have for next season.

I know a whole host of other clubs will feel the same, and no doubt Oxford will wish to retain his talents, but I would make a big splash for him in the summer.

Can't wait to see what he does at Wembley on Sunday (probably nothing of note now I've said this).

Do you feel he's ready for the Championship, and what will he be worth?  I'd say we'd have to spend at least 3.5 million.

5 minutes ago, Bo Andersons dietician said:

Bit surprised you can put a figure to what he is worth having never seen him play!! Cant imagine any club paying anywhere near that sort of amount for a League 2 player.

As to whether he will be a target - given that Mark Ashton played a big role in taking him to Oxford, we are obviously very aware of his qualities.

Didn't know that about Ashton's past - that could be quite a positive for us.

And as for his valuation, just a stab in the dark on my part, it may be massively over the top!

I don't think many of us have seen him play full matches. It's quite clear that he is a fantastic player. Here are some of the potential problems. I think many teams from the lower prem through the championship may be looking at him. He's a goal scoring midfielder and they're always in demand. Another thing is, I could be mistaken, his character had come in to question and that's part of the reason he ended up in League 2 to start with. So as with anyone, if we are satisfied with scouting him and have covered all aspects of him and still happy, then try and sign him up. As for the fee, I have got no clue but we were bidding 2m for Dack who is the same age and playing a league higher with a similar goal scoring record. I'd reckon the fee couldn't be too much higher than Dack's. 

9 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

I don't think many of us have seen him play full matches. It's quite clear that he is a fantastic player. Here are some of the potential problems. I think many teams from the lower prem through the championship may be looking at him. He's a goal scoring midfielder and they're always in demand. Another thing is, I could be mistaken, his character had come in to question and that's part of the reason he ended up in League 2 to start with. So as with anyone, if we are satisfied with scouting him and have covered all aspects of him and still happy, then try and sign him up. As for the fee, I have got no clue but we were bidding 2m for Dack who is the same age and playing a league higher with a similar goal scoring record. I'd reckon the fee couldn't be too much higher than Dack's. 

Cheers, some interesting detail there, Joe.  Good point about the valuation of Dack, but do we know for certain we were bidding 2 million?  Quite often these days, the true figures are never known for certain in the public, and I often find, especially with us, that the valuation of signings are undisclosed.  Perhaps 2 - 2.5 million might be a bit closer the mark for Roofe.

With the money in the game though, coupled with Oxford's likely reluctance to sell, and the potential of Roofe, I wouldn't be surprised to see him go closer to 3 million quid.

23 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Why is it clear he's a fantastic player?

26 minutes ago, shelts said:

He reminds me of Andre Gray of what I've seen of him. A lot of names mentioned and all a bit of a gamble if from below the championship.  Price wise somewhere between 3-4 million maybe. I like him . 

I like the comparison with Gray, fuels my believe that we should really push for him in the summer.  Roofe seems to have an extra bit of quality, and could go onto reach big heights, or grab an even bigger transfer fee in a couple of seasons - similar to Gray.

In this case, Kemar certainly seems to be worth the gamble.

25 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Is he not a fantastic player? He's a winger with 17 goals and 8 assists in the league. I think any Oxford fan would tell you he's fantastic. 

good at league 2 level.

I really hope we don't sign him.  If Mark Ashton had any sense in his last job, he'll have got Roofe on a long enough contract to mean any club who wants to buy him pays far more than he is really worth.  Signing him now would mean MA showing a lack of business acumen in his last job or a lack of business acumen in this one. 

3 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I really hope we don't sign him.  If Mark Ashton had any sense in his last job, he'll have got Roofe on a long enough contract to mean any club who wants to buy him pays far more than he is really worth.  Signing him now would mean MA showing a lack of business acumen in his last job or a lack of business acumen in this one. 

Really?  A long contract on a young player who had 19 appearances combined from 4 loan spells across 4 years? Would seem a bit daft.

Unfortunately he might cost a few Bob but his wages won't be a major stumbling block.  If we could sign a proven championship scorer or fading prem star it's gonna cost. Somewhere in between might be a gamble on a lower league player. If you do your homework as we did with Kidja bargains are around. 

3 hours ago, Super said:

would be ridiculous to spend 3.5m on him then.

Isn't it always a gamble? Was a gamble to spend 2.1 on Kodjia. Would be on Dack or Bradshaw. All you can do is your research. He's fantastic in league 2. We know that. Now you ask your scouts how they think he'd react to championship football and you start with a bid. I said I think we'd probably start a little less than 2m as we reportedly bid 2m for Dack who is similar age and goal return while playing a league higher. That's all you ever know. He could be a complete flop and it'd be a waste to spend 500k on him but you trust your scouts. So if he's valued at 3.5m then you get him if it's who you want. So it could very well be ridiculous. It could very well be some of the best money we ever spent. No one ever knows until games are played. 

Archived