IGNORED

Explanation of post

Rich

2 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

We mods and admin are all human at the end of the day, sometimes we make decisions that others might not agree with, but that's life and rightly or wrongly, those decisions get made. 

I think on the whole though, we do a pretty good job on here, and a somewhat mountain is being made out of a molehill here. 

Did I miss the bit that says a warning point given to you on here has a similar impact on your life to an entry on the sex offenders register? 

Mods work hard and are volunteers. And they get plenty more decisions right than the cluster of crap referees we have had down the Gate this season.

Thanks for what you do regardless.

(do I get a warning point for this?)

3 minutes ago, Mad Cyril said:

Did I miss the bit that says a warning point given to you on here has a similar impact on your life to an entry on the sex offenders register? 

Mods work hard and are volunteers. And they get plenty more decisions right than the cluster of crap referees we have had down the Gate this season.

Thanks for what you do regardless.

(do I get a warning point for this?)

Would you like one? 

5 hours ago, Dollymarie said:

In that instance the post was left there because it showed to that poster just how many people thought that his viewpoint was disgusting. 

We do try and discuss issues such as the one being discussed in this thread, sometimes a snap decision is made because no other moderator is around to ask what should be done about the comments. We also sometimes deal with reported posts ourselves (swearing for example can just be sorted) or we discuss things and then make a decision. 

The thread that Rich originally posted has genuinely disappeared after we set it to invisible due to the complaints made about it. I am not lying about this, there seems to be a technical issue which Tom is going to look at when he is back in the office and has the time. If we can reinstate the thread, we will. 

We mods and admin are all human at the end of the day, sometimes we make decisions that others might not agree with, but that's life and rightly or wrongly, those decisions get made. 

I think on the whole though, we do a pretty good job on here, and a somewhat mountain is being made out of a molehill here. 

For what it's worth I have a warning point and am proud of it :P 

@Dollymarie thanks for that.

3 hours ago, DANWRENBCFC4LIFE said:

I really shouldn't worry about it mate. As someone who is registered disabled, part of the fun is taking the piss out of myself and others in the same way. When you're ill, in my opinion, everything is fair game! I'll even joke about someone with cancer and not really give a ****. I know when the time comes and I'm in the Carl Hutchings stand with the rest of the window lickers I would be most upset if someone didn't make 'spastic' faces in front of me 

Now you've offended the people who did n't make ' spastic ' faces in front of you...

Jeez - the 'are best team' thread has been closed, isn't it about time this one was too?

Don't recall the original thread or the comment that started it, but we are just going round in circles here. People will want to be offended, and I get that, but most won't as it doesn't affect them

My Dad dropped dead with a  heart attack at 51, if I got upset every time someone has said '**** me, I nearly had a heart attack when......' then I'd be a gibbering wreck

The bloke has apologised, and he's still being called all kinds of stuff from the warriors

Strike me down for a vote in the 'close it now' column. If that upsets someone then tough shit :ph34r:

• Admin
16 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Jeez - the 'are best team' thread has been closed, isn't it about time this one was too?

The ONLY reason this thread hasn't is because behind the scenes there are still attempts to find the original post - but do agree this is thread is going round in circles now

19 hours ago, Rich said:

I am actually struggling to understand where I took a pop at people with learning disabilities or that they don't count.

I implied that the Rovers fan base could fit into the disabled areas of Ashton Gate, as their fan base was not a very large number of people and, the "areas" would be large enough to accommodate them. I then jibed that Rovers fans had learning disabilities, who doesn't?

Is the complaint that people with learning disabilities were compared to Rovers fans or, that I used the term "learning disabilities" as a form of derogatory remark? If it's the latter that has offended people, then I apologise, that was not my intention.

It's rather strange that the first person to ask for an explanation has an emoji of a city fan pi$$ing on a Rovers fan. That's one human being urinating on another human being. It's fine to suggest pi$$ing on someone, or to call someone a f#####g ignorant c##t. Use the wrong term and end up crucified.

At no point did I use abusive behaviour, yet that is what the world can see next to the reason for my penalty point. 

I don't think anybody else can see it Rich.

2 hours ago, phantom said:

The ONLY reason this thread hasn't is because behind the scenes there are still attempts to find the original post - but do agree this is thread is going round in circles now

Unfornately because its been deleted short of me getting the backup tapes from last week out. Setting a copy of the forum and restoring the database back it can't be directly shown.

However, the post in question is still in googles cache here if you can cope with the lack of CSS/formatting:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:hAcR9NX-qLoJ:www.otib.co.uk/index.php%3F/topic/176213-could-rovers-be-buying-ashton-gate/%26page%3D2+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk

2 hours ago, phantom said:

Maybe so. Maybe not. Depends on how you see things, and the reason behind some people's actions.

Intitially the original comment. Then the OPs apology - or justification of what he said. Then perhaps what he says he was called. The actions taken against him. The actions taken or not taken against the poster who called him whatever he called him. The post itself that was made invisible.

There are many questions and points that are worthy of discussion. Part of the problem for me is that someone else has decided what is and what isn't offensive.

Don't get me wrong. Being a moderator or administrator must be a thankless task and I'm sure a quality you must have is have skin as thick as thick can be.

I would hope that qualities such as consistency, patience, objectivity and an ability to be able to explain one's actions clearly and calmly are also demonstrated.

I'll live with whatever the formatting looks like and make my own mind up.

On 10 April 2016 at 21:08, Rich said:

In the topic "Could Rovers Buy Ashton Gate", I made a comment which was misread, misunderstood and subsequently misrepresented, from it's intended meaning. Several comments within the topic were made by different posters about how the Rovers fans base could fit into this or that stand with ease. One poster said, " they could use the new West stand, and away supporters could have the upper tier".  I quoted that post and followed it with, "they could use the disabled areas", meaning, that those areas would be big enough to house the Rovers supporters. The second part (after the comma) said; "they all have learning disabilities" a tongue in cheek comment about Rovers supporters. Someone misread my post as meaning, disabled people all have learning disabilities, that is most certainly not what I said or meant. My post was then reproduced (minus the original quote) with people asking for an explanation. With hindsight I would have worded it differently.

Unfortunately, due to family and work commitments, I could not try and address those issues until the following evening. I then found that I had been restricted from posting, for making what was called "a shameless comment about disabled people". The reality was that, I had made no such comment, it was a misunderstanding which was then reproduced.

I apologise if this misunderstanding has caused offence, there certainly was none intended.

To the person that called me "a f###### ignorant c###" I make no apology and await yours.  

I currently have a warning point against my profile for "Abusive Behaviour", I hope on reflection this will be removed, as I have not been abusive.

•  

Share this comment

Share this comment

<textarea name="messenger_comment_53520_noscript" rows="15"></textarea>
Enter your text; hold ctrl and right click for more optionsEditor toolbarsrow1 Bold Italic Underline Link Quote Emoticon Insert/Remove Bulleted List Insert/Remove Numbered List

Reply to this conversation

I think I've read it. Is this it?

Jesus Christ. Whilst thankfully I don't have learning difficulties - and perhaps therefore have less of a right to pass comment - I can't help think that this has been an over-reaction,

Anyone like to explain why the decision was taken to make the post invisible and ban the OP?

What about Cider Red? What happened to him?

image.png

3 hours ago, Woodsy said:

Don't recall the original thread or the comment that started it, but we are just going round in circles here. People will want to be offended, and I get that, but most won't as it doesn't affect them

My Dad dropped dead with a  heart attack at 51, if I got upset every time someone has said '**** me, I nearly had a heart attack when......' then I'd be a gibbering wreck

The bloke has apologised, and he's still being called all kinds of stuff from the warriors

Strike me down for a vote in the 'close it now' column. If that upsets someone then tough shit :ph34r:

Why close the thread? If I don't like a thread then I don't read it, personally I'm finding it quite interesting, can't believe the bloke who called Rich a ####ing ignorant #### has got away with it mind, total over-reaction to what was probably an ill-judged comment but I'm sure said without malice

• Admin
1 hour ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Anyone like to explain why the decision was taken to make the post invisible and ban the OP?

@BigAlToby&Liam as you have had lots to say about this topic, I'll give you the decency of a full and concise reply to your question

Firstly the post was not originally made "invisible", when the problem with @Rich's login was highlighted, at that time the thread had slipped down to Page 6 of this forum

The first "we" were made aware of any problem with @Rich's login was after he had emailed a member of The Supporters Club and Trust (who are responsible for this site), this member then in turn contacted a moderator on here to query what had happened.

It was only at this point that it became apparent that a setting on @Rich's account was wrong. There are notes that we keep and a message was sent to @Rich but as that was done by personal message I am not going to divulge what was said.

As @RedM has ALREADY stated above, a temporary block was put on @Rich's ability to post, it is common practice that if a complaint has been made about someone they are initially set that their posts ONLY appear once a moderator has approved their post.(this is a precaution to prevent people posting lots of posts that aren't suitable for this site - in the past this action has stopped numerous spammers / opposition fans etc posting rubbish on here)

Any follow up action is then discussed by the admin / moderation team and then a decision is taken about whether to lift this temporary restriction or impose some length of ban there after.

It was only following the email (mentioned above) that it became clear that the setting for this had incorrectly been set to be unable to post anything rather than just at the pre-approval stage. It's difficult to explain without showing it, but there are a number of tick boxes and in this instance an incorrect box had been ticked.

OK, back to the post being "hidden", as stated above, this thread was by now on page 6, which means that there were no comments for over a day by any OTIB users (which is kind of ironic now).

So to make it easier for us mods to view I "hid" the thread and "pinned" it on the front page -this was done with the intention of others not having to scroll through a number of pages to get to the topic being discussed. This meant "we" could see it but others could not.

AGAIN as @Tomarse has said for a genuinely unknown reason the thread then disappeared, even @Tomarse who knows this site inside out was unable to explain what had happened - after lots of research as shown above he was able to find it within a Google cache but not as the original page.

As for @Cider red what action was  taken against them is between the moderators and the users, as was the case with @Rich originally nothing was put out openly about any bans / restrictions

MOVING ON: It is clear that there are a lot of strong feelings about the actual posting etc but the fact the original topic had slid down to page 6 shows that there was not that much interest in the whole topic about Rovers buying Ashton Gate.

Personally, and I believe that the users of OTIB are decent people, hopefully now we can all just move on from this. We've got three points at Brentford to worry about on Saturday - I would like to lock this thread now, but am sure following what I've put etc people will still want to comment - so in respect of all of you we will leave this thread open, but if we are all still going around in circles in 24 hours we'll lock the thread and then people can move on

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

@BigAlToby&Liam as you have had lots to say about this topic, I'll give you the decency of a full and concise reply to your question

Firstly the post was not originally made "invisible", when the problem with @Rich's login was highlighted, at that time the thread had slipped down to Page 6 of this forum

The first "we" were made aware of any problem with @Rich's login was after he had emailed a member of The Supporters Club and Trust (who are responsible for this site), this member then in turn contacted a moderator on here to query what had happened.

It was only at this point that it became apparent that a setting on @Rich's account was wrong. There are notes that we keep and a message was sent to @Rich but as that was done by personal message I am not going to divulge what was said.

As @RedM has ALREADY stated above, a temporary block was put on @Rich's ability to post, it is common practice that if a complaint has been made about someone they are initially set that their posts ONLY appear once a moderator has approved their post.(this is a precaution to prevent people posting lots of posts that aren't suitable for this site - in the past this action has stopped numerous spammers / opposition fans etc posting rubbish on here)

Any follow up action is then discussed by the admin / moderation team and then a decision is taken about whether to lift this temporary restriction or impose some length of ban there after.

It was only following the email (mentioned above) that it became clear that the setting for this had incorrectly been set to be unable to post anything rather than just at the pre-approval stage. It's difficult to explain without showing it, but there are a number of tick boxes and in this instance an incorrect box had been ticked.

OK, back to the post being "hidden", as stated above, this thread was by now on page 6, which means that there were no comments for over a day by any OTIB users (which is kind of ironic now).

So to make it easier for us mods to view I "hid" the thread and "pinned" it on the front page -this was done with the intention of others not having to scroll through a number of pages to get to the topic being discussed. This meant "we" could see it but others could not.

AGAIN as @Tomarse has said for a genuinely unknown reason the thread then disappeared, even @Tomarse who knows this site inside out was unable to explain what had happened - after lots of research as shown above he was able to find it within a Google cache but not as the original page.

As for @Cider red what action was  taken against them is between the moderators and the users, as was the case with @Rich originally nothing was put out openly about any bans / restrictions

MOVING ON: It is clear that there are a lot of strong feelings about the actual posting etc but the fact the original topic had slid down to page 6 shows that there was not that much interest in the whole topic about Rovers buying Ashton Gate.

Personally, and I believe that the users of OTIB are decent people, hopefully now we can all just move on from this. We've got three points at Brentford to worry about on Saturday - I would like to lock this thread now, but am sure following what I've put etc people will still want to comment - so in respect of all of you we will leave this thread open, but if we are all still going around in circles in 24 hours we'll lock the thread and then people can move on

Thanks. Not entirely sure I appreciate what I'd say is a condescending opening few lines but I can live with that.

I've posted a few times on this and other topics. Some have been serious, some lighthearted. Some things are important to me. Some aren't.

I tried to make clear one of the things that I think is important. Openess and fairness.

Perhaps if you'd explained things earlier then many would have understood and moved on. The fact is you didn't. I understand that you'll feel uncomfortable in disclosing what happened to Cider Red. I hope he was treated fairly and consistently.

I'm not entirely comfortable that you say you would like to lock the thread but I imagine actions that mods take are discussed and agreed between them. I hope it's not down to one individual to decide what's allowed and what isn't.

Any Brentford. I'm looking forward to it.

8 minutes ago, BigAlToby&Liam said:

Thanks. Not entirely sure I appreciate what I'd say is a condescending opening few lines but I can live with that.

I've posted a few times on this and other topics. Some have been serious, some lighthearted. Some things are important to me. Some aren't.

I tried to make clear one of the things that I think is important. Openess and fairness.

Perhaps if you'd explained things earlier then many would have understood and moved on. The fact is you didn't. I understand that you'll feel uncomfortable in disclosing what happened to Cider Red. I hope he was treated fairly and consistently.

I'm not entirely comfortable that you say you would like to lock the thread but I imagine actions that mods take are discussed and agreed between them. I hope it's not down to one individual to decide what's allowed and what isn't.

Any Brentford. I'm looking forward to it.

Brilliant opening.

For a moment I thought this ridiculous thread was done for, but know!

Keep the fires burning!

14 hours ago, harrys said:

Why close the thread? If I don't like a thread then I don't read it, personally I'm finding it quite interesting, can't believe the bloke who called Rich a ####ing ignorant #### has got away with it mind, total over-reaction to what was probably an ill-judged comment but I'm sure said without malice

It's not about whether I find it interesting or not, it's more the fact we're going round in circles and someone is going to say something they regret (if they haven't already)

8 hours ago, Woodsy said:

It's not about whether I find it interesting or not, it's more the fact we're going round in circles and someone is going to say something they regret (if they haven't already)

Well let them get on with it, why does it bother you? It's a forum, debate and disagreement is good, I suppose we could all play "guess the crowd"

Archived