IGNORED

2016/17 kit

alexukhc

18 hours ago, glynriley said:

Sell it cheap or give it away??

I was in the shop on Saturday and would have bought a mini kit (as stated further up the page) had the prices been reduced.

There was plenty of old kit still on sale along side the new stuff. If they're only going to give it away (no problem with that) commercially, it makes more sense to sell what they can at a reduced price, and then give stuff away.

Selling at a reduced price loses it's premium value. The brand is then seen cheap and fans will wait till the end of season to buy the reduced stock i.e Adidas, Puma. Stop reducing the stock and if fans wanted one that badly they'll pay full price. Don't get me wrong I'd love a reduced city shirt for a 10er but there's no need if it doesn't need selling.

4 minutes ago, Claude said:

Selling at a reduced price loses it's premium value. The brand is then seen cheap and fans will wait till the end of season to buy the reduced stock i.e Adidas, Puma. Stop reducing the stock and if fans wanted one that badly they'll pay full price. Don't get me wrong I'd love a reduced city shirt for a 10er but there's no need if it doesn't need selling.

I can't see that selling an out of date product effects the sales of the current range. Go into any high street retailer or look on line and these companies are always reducing prices on end of season stock etc..

We'll have to agree to disagree on this, and more importantly Bristol City won't be selling me a black kit at £35 because it will be out of date in a few weeks time.

17 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

I can't see many shelling out for a blue away kit. The club will know that. 

With the home kit still a bit 'marmite' I think many people might have chosen to buy an away kit instead. I can envisage a bit of a u-turn if the away kit was going to be blue/have blue in it. The club must try to sell as many shirts as they can, the mark up is huge on them. To have two shirts the fans don't embrace will be a tough sell.

As for the people saying the old kit shouldn't be reduced, I think people who wanted to pay £45 for it would have done so by now. Are people really walking into the shop and seeing both the old and the new kit and thinking 'hmm, they are both priced the same, what shall I go for? Last seasons shirt with old sponsor or the brand new one with the different sponsor' I think not. 

22 minutes ago, cynic said:

I don't see that it matters if it is blue or not - why should we be hampered just because our smaller neighbours play in blue and white ? A decent Bristol blue would be good - I'd buy a polo shirt in that colour no problem, but I don't buy football shirts these days. It smacks of small time if we are worried about the colour of the shirt just because the pikeys have blue and white - stuff 'em.

Incidentally, I have a blue baseball cap with the club badge on the front (bit faded now) which I bought in the club shop some years ago - there was no uproar when the club were selling these and I don't perceive there to be any outcry if we have an away kit in blue (and it may well be blue).

I swear I heard / read somewhere it was going to be Navy blue with yellow shorts. May have been on here?? Or I might be talking scheisse (again!)

• Admin
15 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

No to blue, it's hard enough seeing those rugby tops in the club shop let alone have the devils colour on our shirts.

Just my opinion - but I am really amazed how many people would accept us wearing blue

1 hour ago, phantom said:

Just my opinion - but I am really amazed how many people would accept us wearing blue

I suspect the vast majority are just tutting at the unlikely prospect, and dismissing it as such a ridiculous idea that it will never happen.

Unless the club is determined to actively piss off thousands of fans, but really, why would they even dream of choosing to do that?

3 hours ago, Claude said:

I completely disagree.  Your "premium value" argument doesn't seem to apply to any other area of commerce.  Even truly premium products such as iPads are reduced when a new model comes out.  Historically we have always reduced kits towards the end of the season and it didn't stop many people buying them at the start.  I don't want one "badly enough" to pay full price, but would happily pay around £20 towards the end of the season.  There must be others who take the same stance and therefore the club loses custom.  Towards the end of the season, the product is devalued as it is effectively becoming out-of-date, so to continue to charge full price until the final day takes the mick somewhat.  Walk into Sports Direct now and every PL shirt from this season is reduced.

14 hours ago, Ian M said:

You've followed City away from home, we are playing Forest in that new kit, we win a corner and the chant starts to go up "COME ON YOU BLUES!" 

Can you honestly say you could chant this without feeling a little dirty inside?

I chanted it at the 1909 FA Cup Final with no remorse....

2 hours ago, phantom said:

As @cynic said above, why should we limit ourselves just because our smaller neighbours play in that colour? The 15ers kit is just as much white as it is blue, but nobody has a problem with us playing in white.

As long as we don't produce a kit in blue and white quarters, I couldn't care less what colour it is.

4 hours ago, glynriley said:

I can't see that selling an out of date product effects the sales of the current range. Go into any high street retailer or look on line and these companies are always reducing prices on end of season stock etc..

We'll have to agree to disagree on this, and more importantly Bristol City won't be selling me a black kit at £35 because it will be out of date in a few weeks time.

Very true, as I stated they'll only reduce if the stock needs reducing. As it hasn't, it seems they've met the forecast set at the start of the year and is no need to lose margin by reducing. Will be more be more beneficial to give them away to Botswana and write off any left over stock.

Yes we will have to agree to disagree here, as a customer point of view your point is very valid. Nice debate on a otib for once, praise the lord!!

25 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I completely disagree.  Your "premium value" argument doesn't seem to apply to any other area of commerce.  Even truly premium products such as iPads are reduced when a new model comes out.  Historically we have always reduced kits towards the end of the season and it didn't stop many people buying them at the start.  I don't want one "badly enough" to pay full price, but would happily pay around £20 towards the end of the season.  There must be others who take the same stance and therefore the club loses custom.  Towards the end of the season, the product is devalued as it is effectively becoming out-of-date, so to continue to charge full price until the final day takes the mick somewhat.  Walk into Sports Direct now and every PL shirt from this season is reduced.

I agree with your statement, however no one knows the predicted sales from the start of the year. They could have planned for say 10000 shirt sales but actually sold 13000. They've met the target for the season and can use the left over shirts to give to charity! You do make good points though.

Swansea's home kit this year had copper trim, a nod to the copper works that once stood where the Liberty Stadium stands now.  We could have a "Bristol Blue Glass" kit in dark blue, as a nod to one of the city's most famous exports.  The glass is a completely different blue to Rovers.  It would sit nicely alongside the "Making Bristol Proud" marketing by further associating the club with the city's heritage.  Just an idea.

Steve lansdown has said in the past that like Bristol rugby have a red kit as there change kit, he would like us to have the navy and white of Bristol as our away kit. Personally, if it was something along the lines of preston's home kit I wouldn't have a problem with it.

• Admin
37 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Swansea's home kit this year had copper trim, a nod to the copper works that once stood where the Liberty Stadium stands now.  We could have a "Bristol Blue Glass" kit in dark blue, as a nod to one of the city's most famous exports.  The glass is a completely different blue to Rovers.  It would sit nicely alongside the "Making Bristol Proud" marketing by further associating the club with the city's heritage.  Just an idea.

Maybe have a picture of some slaves on the sleeves too? :whistle:

Well seeing as I can remember us playing in such traditional change colours as Yellow, White, Black, Purple, Champagne, Green plus that weird Black, Green and White horizontally striped one in about 97 (?) if we have a Blue one it won't bother me one bit, frankly. If it's light blue and white quarters that would be unacceptable but a "Bristol Blue" on its own or with white in there too would be just fine. 

Query....

Having bought the shirt last week the 4th, the fact that money has been taken made me assume that delivery would be soon

Is this not the case? ie have they taken money from me for a shirt that won't be released until June or July ?? I can't see anything on the shop site that mentions a pre release date purchase. 

Thanks

On 11 May 2016 at 13:14, ChippenhamRed said:

We are more famous for tobacco and slavery...interesting...

37 minutes ago, sglosbcfc said:

A shirt with a black man in chains smoking a cigarette. Of course the cigarette would be removed on the children's kit.

And to bring the slavery angle up to date, maybe one of the kids who make the vast majority of shirts (but not the ethically sourced City shirts), could have their image added.

Archived