IGNORED

2016/17 kit

alexukhc

In honour of the Rugby club's history of playing in blue that's fine by me. To honour City's heritage and to signify the four parts of Bristol (North, South, East & West) where the bulk of our support is drawn, I hope the powers that be can recognise this with 2 parts blue and 2 parts white (blue and red would look daft), maybe as quarters so we don't clash with Blackburn. 

2 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

In honour of the Rugby club's history of playing in blue that's fine by me. To honour City's heritage and to signify the four parts of Bristol (North, South, East & West) where the bulk of our support is drawn, I hope the powers that be can recognise this with 2 parts blue and 2 parts white (blue and red would look daft), maybe as quarters so we don't clash with Blackburn. 

I hope that Bristol Sport gets branded Blue Sport. 

Just so I get to go one stage further than you.

6 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

I hope that Bristol Sport gets branded Blue Sport. 

Just so I get to go one stage further than you.

Given the electric atmosphere at AG recently, maybe it could be rebranded . . .

(I think you see where I'm going here) 

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

Given the electric atmosphere at AG recently, maybe it could be rebranded . . .

(I think you see where I'm going here) 

Hmm, some other natural resource. I'm not really getting 'water' from this. 

Nah. I'm out of ideas. 

6 hours ago, Sixtyseconds said:

Mods and admin clearly been tipped off.

Memo:

Its BLUE.When its revealed. I advise you to buy a motorcycle. Otib will melt. Go for a long ride.

Unclench! Man U had a sky blue away kit not so long ago, when McClair and Hughes were up front...didn't do them any harm despite being Man C's colours...

9 hours ago, alexukhc said:

Just found out the Mrs is expecting, so might have to get the baby kit, wooooooooooooooooo!!!

I would start saving if I was you. I went in after the last game to pick up a discounted shirt from this season, expecting the club to be looking to get rid of the old stock, only to be asked for £46 for a 3 year old's shirt. Admittedly it had lettering on the back but I thought that was horrific. Infant full kit was also not discounted. I didn't purchase.

4 minutes ago, Orbital said:

I would start saving if I was you. I went in after the last game to pick up a discounted shirt from this season, expecting the club to be looking to get rid of the old stock, only to be asked for £46 for a 3 year old's shirt. Admittedly it had lettering on the back but I thought that was horrific. Infant full kit was also not discounted. I didn't purchase.

Ouch.

Even with ST discount that would be a massive spend.

@Mkelly do you/those responsible for the retail side of things have an opinion on why a child's kit, being sold after the last home game of the season should be close to fifty sheets? The benefits of being self produced seem to be (based on the post) completely one sided. Given how the new strip had already been announced, it strikes me as being beyond strong pricing.

18 minutes ago, Orbital said:

I noticed looking earlier for an infant kit that doesn't include the socks is £35... 

7 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Ouch.

Even with ST discount that would be a massive spend.

@Mkelly do you/those responsible for the retail side of things have an opinion on why a child's kit, being sold after the last home game of the season should be close to fifty sheets? The benefits of being self produced seem to be (based on the post) completely one sided. Given how the new strip had already been announced, it strikes me as being beyond strong pricing.

All about the liability left in the product and weeks cover.

The fact it's a lifeline product (has an expiration date of relevance) meant that the club should have taken a small hit weeks ago to clear at albeit a lower margin but a higher one than having to (most likely) discount >50% to resolve which will leave the product in a negative margin. 

But hey what do I know..?

12 hours ago, cynic said:

About time this club and its supporters got over the petty, small minded, small time, notion that blue is somehow evil just because a tinpot little outfit wears that colour.

They really don't matter, and what better way to prove that than to wear blue ?

Bring it on.

Blue is the warmest colour, I find. 

13 hours ago, Orbital said:

Likewise. Wasn't there something about "producing our own kit means we can pass the savings onto the fans"? 

£46 for a 3 yr olds shirt is shocking pricing. 

Just bumping this thread to add that we are either very right or very wrong regarding selling off last years shirt ( or not selling it off is more the point). There is a massive thread on the Hot uk deals site listing all the discounts that various clubs have on their last season's items, the thread has been running for a couple of weeks. In the list of Championship clubs I think we must be the only team not listed as we don't have discounts or sales. 

Commercial sense or commercial suicide? After being in the QPR shop on Saturday and seeing people buying armfuls of stuff and there were hardly anyone without a team shirt makes me think it's the latter. Not sure how we got this so wrong.

Edit. Just adding @Mkellyinto this.

22 minutes ago, RedM said:

Just bumping this thread to add that we are either very right or very wrong regarding selling off last years shirt ( or not selling it off is more the point). There is a massive thread on the Hot uk deals site listing all the discounts that various clubs have on their last season's items, the thread has been running for a couple of weeks. In the list of Championship clubs I think we must be the only team not listed as we don't have discounts or sales. 

Commercial sense or commercial suicide? After being in the QPR shop on Saturday and seeing people buying armfuls of stuff and there were hardly anyone without a team shirt makes me think it's the latter. Not sure how we got this so wrong.

Not quite suicide, but it makes absolutely no sense to me not to reduce the old kit.

I had a look in our shop on Saturday and would have bought the black away (mini) kit for my Grandson for our holiday had it been reduced. No way I'm paying £35+ for a kit that will be out of date in a couple of weeks, but had it been a tenner or something, I'd have had one.

31 minutes ago, RedM said:

We make our own kit so I would have thought our stock level wont be as high as other clubs and doubt we get as many in at the start of the season as we can topup fairly easily on the lines that sell well, so a fire sale at the end of the season is not as important to us as we simply dont have over the top amounts of the stuff that didnt sell so well.

I think it's madness to not reduce the kits now, even if stock is controlled more tightly now. Very few people will pay full price now knowing a new kit is around the corner.

I have never paid full price for a shirt but for years I've bought Puma and Adidas kits for around £20 in April/May time. They would get my custom again this year if the reductions were there. There must be others who have done the same. I'm just not going to pay £45 for a polyester t-shirt with an iron-on badge.

As an aside, I remember in the early 2000s you could pick up official England shirts for around £25 in the supermarkets before a tournament. Yet now they are rigidly sold at £60. Sixty pounds! Who actually pays this? It's just outrageous.

43 minutes ago, tts_city said:

We make our own kit so I would have thought our stock level wont be as high as other clubs and doubt we get as many in at the start of the season as we can topup fairly easily on the lines that sell well, so a fire sale at the end of the season is not as important to us as we simply dont have over the top amounts of the stuff that didnt sell so well.

Bingo

I can also imagine that as a club, we can monitor shirt sales closely and not over produce our stock and sizes. This would leave much less requirement to put stock on sale.

There are some who wait for shirt sales and I'd like to think the club include production in merchandise with this in mind.

46 minutes ago, tts_city said:

Spot on, presuming they would have a merchandising team in Bristol sport. Will compare it to last years sales forecast and include a raise due to sustaining in the championship/more season ticket holders.

I don't see any need to reduce the stock if it doesn't need clearing. From a merchandiser side it would be throwing margin away.

They probably hope that the people who usually hold off on kit until the end of the season when it's reduced will be more likely to buy early if they know there will never be a discount.

Would be interesting to see if the people that buy early because of this outweighs the people that will just not buy at all.

23 minutes ago, Claude said:

Spot on, presuming they would have a merchandising team in Bristol sport. Will compare it to last years sales forecast and include a raise due to sustaining in the championship/more season ticket holders.

I don't see any need to reduce the stock if it doesn't need clearing. From a merchandiser side it would be throwing margin away.

19 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

I would imagine any stock from the 15/16 season will be sent over to Botswana again and given out to the kids over there.

Sell it cheap or give it away??

I was in the shop on Saturday and would have bought a mini kit (as stated further up the page) had the prices been reduced.

There was plenty of old kit still on sale along side the new stuff. If they're only going to give it away (no problem with that) commercially, it makes more sense to sell what they can at a reduced price, and then give stuff away.

I understand a lot of the points made, but for some people now is the only time they can justify getting a kit, if reduced. I'd rather see kids (and adults) wearing a Bristol City shirt than a ManU one, last season's  or the season's before. We might not have huge amounts of kit, but people have said there is still some in stock and I did see for myself last home game. It's not only shirts though it's all the other stuff. 

We have revamped the shop and now seem to have less choice than before, which I didn't think could be possible. I do always try to go in the away team's shops whenever I can. We do compare very poorly regarding price and range against just about everyone else. It's just an area where someone needs to be a bit more inventive in.

Archived