IGNORED

Season tickets (merged)

gordie

2 minutes ago, glynriley said:

I don't think our fans do pay through the nose.

Free kids tickets in The Family stand,Under 22's £115 in the South Stand, Under 19's at £99, under 12's £50.

Good value if you ask me.

What is the cheapest adult ticket though? I think our prices are pretty high, especially in the new West Stand. I have renewed and paid the £469 but i think that is absurd money for 2nd division football but as a fan they have me over a barrel. My genuine concern is that if we don't shift a lot of season tickets the ground will look empty even when it is not. A 29k stadium with 18k or so (which would be an optimistic average attendance i think) looks pretty empty. Lots of those games we won at Coventry when their stadium looked depleted actually had about 15k people there. Anything below 21/22 and it will appear empty at a glance. If we can't sell 29k seats at the prices we charge, we should drop prices accordingly to fill more seats. 

7 minutes ago, tinman-is-god said:

Would you rather have 20-22k of season ticket holders paying less or 13-15k paying through nose which is what we will have?

Atyeo STH pay £13/game, South Stand £15/game. Do you really think that's "through the nose"? I think that's good value. Show me a West End show or music concert you can go to for under £20. Even the cinema is a tenner.

Every additional season ticket holder is one less POTD regular. If season tickets were £200, I would buy one. But they would end up making less from me than they do by selling me 10ish match tickets at £25 a go - not to mention all the money lost from people who were already happy to pay £400.

The economics are far less simple than you like to make out. Perhaps consider why more clubs have NOT adopted the Bradford model.

2 minutes ago, tinman-is-god said:

What is the cheapest adult ticket though? I think our prices are pretty high, especially in the new West Stand. I have renewed and paid the £469 but i think that is absurd money for 2nd division football but as a fan they have me over a barrel. My genuine concern is that if we don't shift a lot of season tickets the ground will look empty even when it is not. A 29k stadium with 18k or so (which would be an optimistic average attendance i think) looks pretty empty. Lots of those games we won at Coventry when their stadium looked depleted actually had about 15k people there. Anything below 21/22 and it will appear empty at a glance. If we can't sell 29k seats at the prices we charge, we should drop prices accordingly to fill more seats. 

It's 27K not 29K, but take your point.

I guess we'll see what the paying public think of the prices soon enough.I believe there are 19K ST's available in the lower bowl. Shift 18K ST's and the board have priced it about right, less than they sold this year, and it's back to the drawing board.

I don't think anyone is paying through the nose, I think our season ticket prices are decent value if you work out the price per game.

if we can secure 15k season tickets plus increase away capacity ave 2k away fans  and attract 1-1.5k POTD then we could average around 18-18.5k. With the larger teams Newcastle, Leeds, Villa plus others could bring 3k plus additional home support this could see average up to 20/21k inc those games. Let's not forget that several teams comfortably sold their away allocation out. 

If we recruit well we could attract 16/17.5k plus 2k average away plus POTD could see average up to 21k plus same scenario above re big away followings and additional POTD for attractive games of 21k plus average. 

Both options pretty much sell out the whole ground minus top tier west stand which we look and sound good and ensure most if not all seats are filled. 

I'm going to predict as it currently sits pre summer signings 18.2k average. Good signings 20.1k. Very respectable and step forward for sure. 

6 minutes ago, tinman-is-god said:

The new capacity is 27k so not sure why you're talking about 29k. With the top tier closed the lower bowl holds 22k. So, attendances around the 18k mark will look 80% full in the lower tier - a far cry from the Ricoh, and with the "new stadium bounce" effect we may do even better.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Atyeo STH pay £13/game, South Stand £15/game. Do you really think that's "through the nose"? I think that's good value. Show me a West End show or music concert you can go to for under £20. Even the cinema is a tenner.

Every additional season ticket holder is one less POTD regular. If season tickets were £200, I would buy one. But they would end up making less from me than they do by selling me 10ish match tickets at £25 a go - not to mention all the money lost from people who were already happy to pay £400.

The economics are far less simple than you like to make out. Perhaps consider why more clubs have NOT adopted the Bradford model.

You certainly can't go to the West End for that kind of money but that's because the best theatre directors, producers, scriptwriters and actors in the world ply their trade there. We are a division one side that have had a pretty poor season and our prices are pretty steep for a lot of people. The Bradford model is also built on principle that having lots of people around the club on matchday is a positive and brings in additional revenue that may not always be apparent. Think of the additional impact another 5/6K fans could make and also what kind of good PR we would get as a club for making season tickets more affordable and more attainable for people on lower incomes. If we sold 21/22k season tickets as a result i am sure it would help us build a profile, have a more full stadium and support the community and club. And i do think it would work financially. I just think that with 9,000 more seats we need to do something to try and fill as many of them as possible and i can't see that we have done anything to try and reach out to get new fans in. And having 11 - 12,000 empty seats every game next year is going to look pretty depressing.

6 minutes ago, glynriley said:

I guess we'll see what the paying public think of the prices soon enough.I believe there are 19K ST's available in the lower bowl. Shift 18K ST's and the board have priced it about right, less than they sold this year, and it's back to the drawing board.

My mistake - thought it was 29k not 27k so perhaps there won't be as many empty seats as i feared. Would just like the club to have been at least a little bit innovative and inclusive and tried to get in as many punters as possible and can't see anything that shows me we have been any of those things.

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The new capacity is 27k so not sure why you're talking about 29k. With the top tier closed the lower bowl holds 22k. So, attendances around the 18k mark will look 80% full in the lower tier - a far cry from the Ricoh, and with the "new stadium bounce" effect we may do even better.

True, perhaps i was being a little dramatic with the Ricoh comparison. It does seem an absurd concept to me, however, to build a stand and closed the top half of it. Fill it with cheap tickets!

43 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

Can't see it going much above 12k unless they really start making some noise in the summer. 

Don't under estimate how much of an anti climax last summer was, this season has been and of course, the Lee Johnson appointment .

A lot of fans could eye up POTD and see how the first half the season goes

Are you really suggesting that appointing Lee Johnson will harm season ticket sales? Frankly anyone that doesn't buy a season ticket on the strength of who the manager is clearly isn't a supporter of the club. 

10 minutes ago, glynriley said:

Lower bowl holds 22.5k minus 2,700 away allocation = 19,800.

They would obviously look to retain a reasonable amount of choice in the lower bowl for POTD so I reckon the cut-off to start selling ST's in the upper tier could be as low as 17k.

17 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Exactly. Even £469 across 23 games is around the £20 mark. Sorry to say, but in my opinion, if it's not worth that to watch us don't moan when we struggle to compete financially. 

People talk about dropping prices to attract more. That would be an experiment; an experiment with no going back. We don't know if more people would turn out. They may at Bradford, but this is apathetic old Bristol. Once prices have dropped its hard to bring them back up. Imagine the outpour if we dropped and sold 17k and next year prices increased accordingly because the extra few thousand didn't pay for the subsidy. Further, there are increased stewarding costs.  

People seem to ignore that dropping prices is a HUGE leap in the dark for the board. As it is, £20 a ticket surely has to represent decent value, not least when much cheaper options are available to many.

30 minutes ago, tinman-is-god said:

Would you rather have 20-22k of season ticket holders paying less or 13-15k paying through nose which is what we will have?

Paying through the nose? A ST is as cheap as about £13 per game, and in real terms is as good value as it was 10 years ago in league one. 

People need to wake up and realise that we have a relatively small hardcore fan base. 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Are you really suggesting that appointing Lee Johnson will harm season ticket sales? Frankly anyone that doesn't buy a season ticket on the strength of who the manager is clearly isn't a supporter of the club. 

I`d suggest that if we had the prospect of Colin as manager next season that would keep a fair few away.

9 minutes ago, tinman-is-god said:

You certainly can't go to the West End for that kind of money but that's because the best theatre directors, producers, scriptwriters and actors in the world ply their trade there. We are a division one side that have had a pretty poor season and our prices are pretty steep for a lot of people. The Bradford model is also built on principle that having lots of people around the club on matchday is a positive and brings in additional revenue that may not always be apparent. Think of the additional impact another 5/6K fans could make and also what kind of good PR we would get as a club for making season tickets more affordable and more attainable for people on lower incomes. If we sold 21/22k season tickets as a result i am sure it would help us build a profile, have a more full stadium and support the community and club. And i do think it would work financially. I just think that with 9,000 more seats we need to do something to try and fill as many of them as possible and i can't see that we have done anything to try and reach out to get new fans in. And having 11 - 12,000 empty seats every game next year is going to look pretty depressing.

You make some decent points Tinman. The problem is your original statement "that would require some actual thought" implied that it was a no-brainer to sell tickets more cheaply and the board were stupid for not doing it. But it's not that simple at all, it's a complex issue with pros and cons to whatever approach you take. Ultimately the club have to maximise revenues to compete, and selling tickets cheaper is not necessarily the right way to do it.

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

You make some decent points Tinman. The problem is your original statement "that would require some actual thought" implied that it was a no-brainer to sell tickets more cheaply and the board were stupid for not doing it. But it's not that simple at all, it's a complex issue with pros and cons to whatever approach you take. Ultimately the club have to maximise revenues to compete, and selling tickets cheaper is not necessarily the right way to do it.

Agreed - the remark was a little rash. But it demonstrates my frustration with football clubs that don't try and get more people through the gates, which i have explained later on. Quite enjoyed the debate though so glad i made the post!

12 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Lower bowl holds 22.5k minus 2,700 away allocation = 19,800.

They would obviously look to retain a reasonable amount of choice in the lower bowl for POTD so I reckon the cut-off to start selling ST's in the upper tier could be as low as 17k.

thinking about seats put aside for H&S (which SL alluded to at Forest) it may be lower than that.

11 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Paying through the nose? A ST is as cheap as about £13 per game, and in real terms is as good value as it was 10 years ago in league one. 

People need to wake up and realise that we have a relatively small hardcore fan base. 

Indeed. It's one thing for Bradford trying it (negligible prices) when they are on their arse in League Two and in dire need of attendances, and quite another when you are in the championship with a refurbed stadium and fan's expectations of significant signings - 'if only we can keep Baker, Odemwingie, Tomlin, Matthews ... £20 a ticket... Scoff' . 

36 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

No I didn't mean it to come across like that. 

It's pretty obvious though had we got a manager like Pearson, it would have boosted season ticket sales.

There are differenttypes of football fans. Fans like me and you, who go week in and week out, not matter how s**t it is. Then there's the fans who come when things are going well. Nothing wrong with that. That's people's choices 

It's a big summer for the club. We will know by September how serious Lansdown is about Premiership football. If he's serious...the fans will come 

As I have a membership only, I am tempted to get a season ticket for next season for first time in 40 years and dare say a few more will especially with some very attractive fixtures likely as well as potential signings that could make us a lot more competitive

5 minutes ago, Andy082005 said:

No I didn't mean it to come across like that. 

It's pretty obvious though had we got a manager like Pearson, it would have boosted season ticket sales.

There are differenttypes of football fans. Fans like me and you, who go week in and week out, not matter how s**t it is. Then there's the fans who come when things are going well. Nothing wrong with that. That's people's choices 

It's a big summer for the club. We will know by September how serious Lansdown is about Premiership football. If he's serious...the fans will come 

Agree, but for the September point. Next season is going to be a very competitive Championship division. Don't think it's quite shit or bust yet. The time is coming with the increased TV revenue no doubt, but with the three coming down not sure we should be aiming for it this season. Hoping, sure, bankrolling it; not yet. 

48 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Well there were folks saying on here they'd never watch City again if Neil Warnock was our manager...utter tosh of course

I think those numbers so far look like we should get over the line and have more ST than last year. 

Need to factor in we've already got c.1200 corporate seats sold (if you include boxes too)

Add in Members and Recommend a Friend sales, general sales, POTD and Away support; Its not beyond the realms of probability that we will get 19-20k as a minimum.

Personally I think that's a pretty conservative estimate. 

5 hours ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I wouldn't buy a season ticket if we were going into a season with Warnock as manager, his antics and the thought of seeing us play how Rotherham did week in week out would be too much. 

Im obviously not a supporter of the club because I'd like to keep some of the little remaining integrity in the game though.

Archived