IGNORED

Giving up the ciggies...

Septic Peg

On 17/04/2016 at 17:29, Red Right Hand said:

My missus went to the Stop Smoking Clinic and was on patches and an inhaler but only for a couple of weeks. One day she forgot to put the patch on and didn`t miss the fags at all so hasn`t bothered since. One thing she has done though (and she admits this herself) is put a fair bit of weight on which she`s finding difficult to shift although with summer coming and long walks with the dog, gardening etc. that hopefully will get easier.

It all comes down to whether you really deep down want to give up or not IMO. I`ve tried a few times but my heart`s not been in it so have failed miserably..

Good luck mate, hope you can rid yourself of the curse.

The weight can be a real problem. There's a reason why the Imperial Group started marketing Golden Wonder crisps :yawn:

I was lucky. I had asthma and bronchitis  and was well on the way to emphysema. It wasn't a long-term health thing, it was a question of surviving the winter, which does concentrate the mind.

I used patches, and stopped having weird nightmares :shocking: when I read the label and took them off at night. The most difficult thing for me was that giving up made the asthma worse for a while, but I persevered and I almost never get the craving now - except when a certain football team cocks up an early lead :grr: 

Woodsy u stopped yet? and hows it going with u septic? the only thing i really dislike about the stopping is it means I can't drink at all and I do like a red wine. Saying that I like white too and the odd beer. Still my running may get quicker.

I too want to give up but I just can't bring myself to do it, I just don't want want to. I know there are obvious health benefits, and financial benefits but I just can't bring myself to do it.

I have tried twice this last year and didn't do too well. I know it's the addiction talking but I enjoy smoking.

For me my cigs have been my only constant in life, through the good and the bad, they are like a best friend.

The Times I tried before I always smoked what I had until they were gone and then gave up but instantly not having any put me in a panic. Maybe as suggested above I should keep some and then make it my choice not to smoke it?

8 hours ago, Just Red said:

I too want to give up but I just can't bring myself to do it, I just don't want want to. I know there are obvious health benefits, and financial benefits but I just can't bring myself to do it.

I have tried twice this last year and didn't do too well. I know it's the addiction talking but I enjoy smoking.

For me my cigs have been my only constant in life, through the good and the bad, they are like a best friend.

The Times I tried before I always smoked what I had until they were gone and then gave up but instantly not having any put me in a panic. Maybe as suggested above I should keep some and then make it my choice not to smoke it?

Been there mate, many times but I always end up exactly the same as you do. No will power I suppose, like you I don`t really want to give up deep down - bloody stupid isn`t it?

8 hours ago, Just Red said:

Obvious contradiction there JR and that tells me that you are a long way from ditching the fags.....

13 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Been there mate, many times but I always end up exactly the same as you do. No will power I suppose, like you I don`t really want to give up deep down - bloody stupid isn`t it?

Oh it is, I'd love to be an ex smoker and I know deep down I could do it, it's just having tried and failed many times I know how hard the first few days are.

10 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Obvious contradiction there JR and that tells me that you are a long way from ditching the fags.....

It sure is. I have a love hate relationship with them. Last night reading this thread made me crave a cig but I tried it out of choosing not to have the cig despite it sitting in the ashtray and I went quite a few hours without smoking it. So that approach does seem to work.

Over the last year I have cut down quite a lot. Simply because I find myself busy. It's only when I realise I've not had one do I then have one, apart from the evenings at home.

An awful lot of it is also habbit, wake up have a cig, get in the car have a cig, have a cig after eating etc.

JR - cutting down didn't work for me and believe me I  "cut down" numerous times but my useage always crept up to my previous levels within a day or two.

My advice is don't stop smoking until you truly want to. Stop kidding yourself that weaning yourself off the fags is the way to go. Trust me - it ain't.

9 hours ago, Just Red said:

Read the aforementioned book. You are just in the perfect place. I'd surprised if it didn't work. Does what it says on the cover

3 hours ago, Just Red said:

It sure is. I have a love hate relationship with them. Last night reading this thread made me crave a cig but I tried it out of choosing not to have the cig despite it sitting in the ashtray and I went quite a few hours without smoking it. So that approach does seem to work.

Over the last year I have cut down quite a lot. Simply because I find myself busy. It's only when I realise I've not had one do I then have one, apart from the evenings at home.

An awful lot of it is also habbit, wake up have a cig, get in the car have a cig, have a cig after eating etc.

I found the habit harder to break than the addiction. I believe the addiction only lasts a matter of hours anyway but the actual act of smoking was the thing I really missed.

Gents I get the smoking. If it wasn't going to kill me and cost so much money I would carry on. There is nothing better than a fag with a beer or a glass of wine. Treat this thread as a little chat room until u feel like giving up

The main reason for me is its affecting my running which yes sounds ridiculous I've run marathons but still smoke but now I find as I've got older it's getting harder. Plus the kids detest it and I would go mental if I caught one of them. 

On 4/23/2016 at 12:35, kevinmabbuttshair said:

Read the aforementioned book. You are just in the perfect place. I'd surprised if it didn't work. Does what it says on the cover

I'm going to get myself a copy and give it a read.

21 hours ago, richwwtk said:

I found the habit harder to break than the addiction. I believe the addiction only lasts a matter of hours anyway but the actual act of smoking was the thing I really missed.

yes it's the habit of doing it. What I've been doing recently is after a meal where a craving for a cig is really bad I just leave the cig in the ashtray for about an hour so bit by bit I break the habits. I'm also trying to leave longer gaps between cigs. So now I've not had one for half hour and won't have one now u until at least 3. Where as before I'd be lighting up about now. 

It's the inhaling and exhaling that I enjoy. I tried the vapes but the flavours were horrible and I once tried the high nicotine and it made me ill for days. I may try a low nicotine but I want a realistic taste of a cig which I've found hard to come by. All these differe t flavours just don't do it for me.

I'm at the point where my mother has COPD because of smoking and I don't want the same to happen to me. I'm already a bit overweight so want to tie giving up and going to the gym together cos I don't want to put more weight on.

I'm an ex smoker and i stopped because i didn't like it anymore.. and thats about it, never felt the need again.

But ive known so many people who've given themselves misery because they like smoking but want to stop.

Theres a film called "Dead again"  where Robin Williams character gives some advice on smoking;

" work out if yr a smoker or a non smoker and do that", trite i know but not far off.

On 4/23/2016 at 12:35, kevinmabbuttshair said:

I'm going to get myself a copy and give it a read.

On 4/23/2016 at 15:25, richwwtk said:

yes it's the habit of doing it. What I've been doing recently is after a meal where a craving for a cig is really bad I just leave the cig in the ashtray for about an hour so bit by bit I break the habits. I'm also trying to leave longer gaps between cigs. So now I've not had one for half hour and won't have one now u until at least 3. Where as before I'd be lighting up about now. 

It's the inhaling and exhaling that I enjoy. I tried the vapes but the flavours were horrible and I once tried the high nicotine and it made me ill for days. I may try a low nicotine but I want a realistic taste of a cig which I've found hard to come by. All these differe t flavours just don't do it for me.

I'm at the point where my mother has COPD because of smoking and I don't want the same to happen to me. I'm already a bit overweight so want to tie giving up and going to the gym together cos I don't want to put more weight on.

On 17/04/2016 at 21:14, KevP said:

I gave up 10 years ago after smoking for 25 years. Had tried to give up many times before, but this time I genuinely WANTED to so it was easier. You must want to stop otherwise its really difficult. Tenner a packet...you're 'avin a laugh..!!!

This to my mind is exactly it.

For anything be it ciggies, drink, weight loss if you really want it you can do it.  When people fail (as I have many times) it's because you don't want the cigarette free / drink free / slim and fit status enough.

Easy to say I know, but for example insufficient motivations are: for losing weight - not wanting to be fat, for drinking - wanting to cut down, for smoking - health reasons and save money.  These are mostly negative and therefore weak reasons.

What you need are positive motivations.  What would your life be if you never smoked again, drank again, got fit?  For many people it would be quite boring and therefore not much of a goal, so their attempts to give up will continue to fail.  But if you think about it and are fully convinced that your life would be so much better if you just changed this bit of it then essentially that's it.  All the pulls to smoke / drink are swamped by that huge positive.

In my experience the reason people find cigarettes hardest to give up is that the negatives, though well known, are long term health reasons (and therefore intangible) whereas the immediate / short term positive gains from giving up are minor.  Sure you'd rather save the money, yes you know that it's bad for you, but will you really be that much richer or healthier in six months time if you stop?  Probably not.  And as we're all clever enough to realise that the motivation to stop is usually insufficient.

Vaping seems to work for most people anyway.

1 hour ago, Eddie Hitler said:

This to my mind is exactly it.

For anything be it ciggies, drink, weight loss if you really want it you can do it.  When people fail (as I have many times) it's because you don't want the cigarette free / drink free / slim and fit status enough.

Easy to say I know, but for example insufficient motivations are: for losing weight - not wanting to be fat, for drinking - wanting to cut down, for smoking - health reasons and save money.  These are mostly negative and therefore weak reasons.

What you need are positive motivations.  What would your life be if you never smoked again, drank again, got fit?  For many people it would be quite boring and therefore not much of a goal, so their attempts to give up will continue to fail.  But if you think about it and are fully convinced that your life would be so much better if you just changed this bit of it then essentially that's it.  All the pulls to smoke / drink are swamped by that huge positive.

In my experience the reason people find cigarettes hardest to give up is that the negatives, though well known, are long term health reasons (and therefore intangible) whereas the immediate / short term positive gains from giving up are minor.  Sure you'd rather save the money, yes you know that it's bad for you, but will you really be that much richer or healthier in six months time if you stop?  Probably not.  And as we're all clever enough to realise that the motivation to stop is usually insufficient.

Vaping seems to work for most people anyway.

Exactly my point. I gave up because they were killing me in the short term, not thirty years hence...

Motivation for me was definitely health and cost (not to mention nicotine stained fingers, smelly clothes, smoked furnishings paintwork etc (have painted lounge walls and ceiling all white since giving up and the white is still white) . The panic late night dashing to shop in the cold and rain to get some smokes for morning when running low and shops about to shut crazy but it really was a panic like feeling 'oh, no bloody Rizlas are running out!"....hated that. Healthwise type 2 diabetes reared its ugly head, some (hopefully 'minor' ) heart disease diagnosed along with cholesterol, shortness of breath - meaning I now take several meds per day (hate that) and carry nitrolingual spray for angina/chest pain if over exerting. Much of those probs may or not be the result of smoking but each one would have worsened had I not decided to quit.. and I feel if I'd quit say two / three years sooner when all seemed well I may have 'escaped' these longterm smoking/lifestyle related health probs altogether -massive regret of mine.

Downside (which I'm working on (but not hard enough) is a definite weight gain, but at least I can put that right IF I really really try, unlike the aforementioned health issues which I gotta live with.

So money, (don't worry I won't continue banging on and boring everyone about it) but the daily little piles of £1 coins (smoking money £4 a day) have been a great motivation to keep going on and remaining smoke free, I'd hate to miss a day of the 'ritual' now... daily total this year on shelf so far (day 116) is now £464) if I had smoked 'tailor-mades' it would be over a £1000 by now - savings like that (even if , unlike myself, money isn't such an issue) is hard to ignore, despite all the other motivators.

Think about it who can realistically afford to smoke the equivalent annually of the cost of a decent ( very nice ) used car? .... (answer 'everyone' who smokes 20 a day can & do) ... or a brand new car every three or four years from now on might be a tempter? & it would be kind of free if you are not lighting up...

OK I'm out of here, (I can't stand smug ex-smokers who continuously bang on about it like bastards, hope you're not thinking I'm like that) ... The subject came up here so I just thought if any of my experiences (personal methods that have and continue to work for me) might help others I'd share them.

Good Luck go for it.. (if you really want it and you are mentally 'ready' )

One more thing, I deliberately didn't smoke everything I had when I gave up (smoking your last one and finishing your last pack can , I believe, lead immediately to those 'panic' deprivation feelings that are so hard to resist and are part of 'the habit' ... I stopped one night knowing a third of a pack of tobacco, some Rizlas and a lighter would still be there on the shelf next morning -I was just determined to say -if I want one I will have one but right now bollocks to it I ain't gonna roll one... That was the beginning, next day my first four quid savings went on the shelf... the lighter is gone now, the rizlas were eventually binned but that last third of a pack of rolling tobacco (dried to **** now) is still sat on the shelf (& why not? ..after all I eventually 'owned IT ' ... IT no longer 'owned ME ' ! ) 

I'm definitely gonna shut the **** up now... :)

cheers all.

On 23/04/2016 at 11:30, Robbored said:

Anyone think that reason Septic Peg isn't keeping us updated is because she too embarrassed?   :dunno:

Cheers for the boost Robbored... zzzzzzzzzzzz

So yep, I didn't last long. Unfortunately, as I alluded to in an earlier post, I've had a shock to deal with. Without going into details, I may have issues with my lady plumbing and have to undergo tests and biopsies in the coming future. 

I'm weak, but not embarrassed @Robbored. And atm, I've had to concentrate my effort into sorting out my possible medical issues. You can take your foot out of your mouth now.

Still supporting @twodogs and @Woodsy and everyone else fighting the nicotine. Keep going guys. 

2 hours ago, Septic Peg said:

Cheers for the boost Robbored... zzzzzzzzzzzz

So yep, I didn't last long. Unfortunately, as I alluded to in an earlier post, I've had a shock to deal with. Without going into details, I may have issues with my lady plumbing and have to undergo tests and biopsies in the coming future. 

I'm weak, but not embarrassed @Robbored. And atm, I've had to concentrate my effort into sorting out my possible medical issues. You can take your foot out of your mouth now.

Still supporting @twodogs and @Woodsy and everyone else fighting the nicotine. Keep going guys. 

Sorry to hear that Peg, understandable why you had a relapse

I've not had one, the book hasn't arrived yet - so wondering if I need it or not!! Although the way my day is going I'm very tempted to nick a smoke out of someones desk and go have one!

28 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Sorry to hear that Peg, understandable why you had a relapse

I've not had one, the book hasn't arrived yet - so wondering if I need it or not!! Although the way my day is going I'm very tempted to nick a smoke out of someones desk and go have one!

Which would do nothing to improve your day and in fact would just make you feel bad for giving in :P

24 minutes ago, richwwtk said:

Which would do nothing to improve your day and in fact would just make you feel bad for giving in :P

Absolutely mate, I won't have one - I'd have done it hours ago if I was going to

Having a Stowford when I get in though....trading one vice for another!

Archived