IGNORED

Lee Tomlin (Merged)

Ian M

I follow some news on Twitter but I think some of you go way too deep into the meaning of them. He retweeted one about Newcastle getting Dwight Gayle. Is he going to Newcastle? They haven't had a bid accepted thus far. 

We do need an answer by Monday I think. I want him here but can't be held hostage either. 

11 minutes ago, Cardy said:

I was a huge fan of Tomlin but having seen the latest tweet its a massive No from me now. The bloke is so far up his own arse its untrue - too high maintenance and completely the wrong DNA to fit with the rest of the squad. Sadly his true colours are now shining through. Did a job for us last season which we are all grateful for but time to move on.

Oh get a grip man ffs he's just having a giggle at a photo. Some people are so precious. 

He's not coming folks. Have said this for a while and nothing has altered my stance. Goes without saying that I hope I'm wrong, but this deal should not be taking this long. Protracted, complex deals you'd expect if a Real Madrid or Barcelona were trying to sign a world class player. Not only do you have the fee and wages to sort, but then there's the image rights, player's own sponsorship deals, and the rest.

I accept this one is taking longer than normal due to us getting round not paying what he's on at Bournemouth, but that should have been tied up a while ago. The honeymoon, the trip to Spain, should have made little difference to the timing. Footballers after all rarely think for themselves. They pay agents for that. 

What's funny is that while I've criticised Tomlin's tweets, I'd say they've been the best guide as to what's been happening. They have revealed far more than the 50+ articles in the Bristol Post which have regurgitated the same content day after day. I expect the club to pull the plug on this any day now. 

A little chink of light: with O' Neil and Brownhill signing, our midfield is stronger now than it was last summer.

5 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

He's not coming folks. Have said this for a while and nothing has altered my stance. Goes without saying that I hope I'm wrong, but this deal should not be taking this long. Protracted, complex deals you'd expect if a Real Madrid or Barcelona were trying to sign a world class player. Not only do you have the fee and wages to sort, but then there's the image rights, player's own sponsorship deals, and the rest.

I accept this one is taking longer than normal due to us getting round not paying what he's on at Bournemouth, but that should have been tied up a while ago. The honeymoon, the trip to Spain, should have made little difference to the timing. Footballers after all rarely think for themselves. They pay agents for that. 

What's funny is that while I've criticised Tomlin's tweets, I'd say they've been the best guide as to what's been happening. They have revealed far more than the 50+ articles in the Bristol Post which have regurgitated the same content day after day. I expect the club to pull the plug on this any day now. 

A little chink of light: with O' Neil and Brownhill signing, our midfield is stronger now than it was last summer. 

Yeah but he won't stay at Bournemouth and noone else wants I still believe we get this done soon #AlwaysBelieve

2 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Yeah but he won't stay at Bournemouth and noone else wants I still believe we get this done soon #AlwaysBelieve

The first part's right. I'd say other clubs will be waiting in the wings. He'll sign for someone. And it'll get done within days. 

14 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

What a cheerful chappie !!!

As I said before, people have read too much into the press being allowed in to training. It's no different to a pre match presser. No conference as such. The manager is always spoken to during these things as LJ would have been today. Odd that he wasn't on Wednesday by the in house media but maybe he was in meetings then. Maybe he's keeping a low profile until we have something to report. 

People are getting all worked up about it not to mention Tomlins tweet today is unbelievable. I'm as anxious about this going the same way as last summer but let's keep a bit of composure eh?

14 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

The first part's right. I'd say other clubs will be waiting in the wings. He'll sign for someone. And it'll get done within days. 

Yup. Once we hear just a bit of news about someone else interested he'll be there within a week. Something is wrong at some point in our recruitment team. We've bid for him so why is it taking so long? If he doesn't want to be here let him go. 

3 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Yup. Once we hear just a bit of news about someone else interested he'll be there within a week. Something is wrong at some point in our recruitment team. We've bid for him so why is it taking so long? If he doesn't want to be here let him go. 

For now, I'm don't think we can blame the club. We're obviously trying everything we can. Why else spend weeks on this? I'd blame them if we gave up after a couple of weeks, but I honestly believe we are/have tried every possible option. 

13 minutes ago, Fat Cigar said:

For now, I'm don't think we can blame the club. We're obviously trying everything we can. Why else spend weeks on this? I'd blame them if we gave up after a couple of weeks, but I honestly believe we are/have tried every possible option. 

Well I blame them to an extent. Obviously it is up to Tomlin at the end of the day but if we offered all we can then we should've moved on. I'm speculating of course, maybe we have done enough and he is waiting. I don't know but looking at it from my view, this should've been the easiest one to do in a way. Club keen to get him, his club is keen to get rid of him and he seemed genuinely happy to be here and seems to interact with our fans more than others. It all seems like a perfect scenario to get it done. 

3 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

If they're waiting then how have they not put a bid in for him then

Think they'll come in for him a little later. I have been really surprised that no one has bid for him as well. Clearly they don't rate him as much as we do. Which makes this all the more frustrating. 

The way I see it. He does want to be here, as he is clearly entertaining a contract offer but the package has to be right. The package is currently not right, We are working on the package. Until such time that the package we offer is acceptable/unacceptable for either party then the deal will be on going.

you see a house you like.. it is offered at a certain price, you offer lower, they say no, you offer more, they say no.. have you ever dealt with an estate agent? these negotiations are not done in a day. so, eventually, you come to a mutually agreeable price point that suits both parties not only based on the price because you may not of met the asking price but on a number of other factors too, can you move quickly? is your mortgage approved? once this is all sorted it then takes a little longer.. surveys, moving dates, exchange..

This isn't football manger. We are also a fiscally responsible football club (you'd hope) who are not a Newcastle who can wave 35k and not give a **** what happens next.

Forgetting twitter,alan Nixon etc, we are in the dark, we have no idea how close or how far away this deal is. We are almost privilege to know it is even in conversation. I'd also hazard a guess to say our recruitment team are not just waiting in a room right now sweating over Tomlin. other plans will be afoot.

Package.

Suggestion to everyone. Take a 2 week break from Tomlin.

This deal could sit on the back burner for a while yet.

We want him to take a pay cut. He doesn't want to. The closer we get to August, the more likely it is he'll compromise. He's not wanted at Bournemouth.

Is he worth the wait? Yes. Easy for fans to say "I'm fed up, move on." You won't be saying that when he's banging in goals for us next season. Patience. 

If this was a player we hadnt had on loan last season we would be none the wiser to these negotiations going on. 

Let the club do its job. I'm pretty confident it'll be worth the wait. 

5 minutes ago, eric04 said:

We want him to take a pay cut. He doesn't want to. The closer we get to August, the more likely it is he'll compromise. He's not wanted at Bournemouth.

Is he worth the wait? Yes. Easy for fans to say "I'm fed up, move on." You won't be saying that when he's banging in goals for us next season. Patience. 

If this was a player we hadnt had on loan last season we would be none the wiser to these negotiations going on. 

But the very real worry is that the longer it drags on, the more competition we'll have for him. 

Imagine Wednesday suddenly become interested because we're playing silly buggers over a couple of grand. It could have been tied up... 

Who knows. 

The only thing I know is that it's absolutely ridiculous to say things like "I hope to be in a position to announce a couple when we have a presser at Failand on 1st July."

Statements like that serve no purpose other than to wind me up a little bit more and make LJ look silly. 

7 minutes ago, eric04 said:

It's not just Tomlin we're waitng on though is It ?

We all thought that Matthews was a formality based on what the representatives of the club said .

We have not even signed the easier deals to push through ( squad players)  type  replacement Waggy .

It does seem we've had our hopes built up again by the club and , as yet , it's all bluster and hot air .

Time , of course , will tell but they don't make life easy do they ? 

10 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We all thought that Matthews was a formality based on what the representatives of the club said .

Isn't that deal dependant on Sunderland signing another right back first? 

12 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

We have not even signed the easier deals to push through ( squad players)  type  replacement Waggy .

It does seem we've had our hopes built up again by the club and , as yet , it's all bluster and hot air .

Time , of course , will tell but they don't make life easy do they ? 

Things must be bad if you're being sensible. 

Please press the reset button and stop adding to my pain. 

Archived