IGNORED

Kodija - Departs for 11 Million (Merged)

mozo

6 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

Jonathan Kodjia close to signing for @AVFCOfficial in a £15m deal from @bcfctweets but Derby,WBA,Hull all in as well. But talks with 1/230 Aug 2016, 9:25 am

Pat Murphy knows his onions when it comes to his football beat, so I reckon we can take that as fact. I'll be a bit disappointed if he goes to a rival club, but £15 million is A LOT of money for a player with one good season at this level (as much as I like him as a player) and if he wants out then we should get as much moolah as we can for him

1 minute ago, chipdawg said:

Pat Murphy knows his onions when it comes to his football beat, so I reckon we can take that as fact. I'll be a bit disappointed if he goes to a rival club, but £15 million is A LOT of money for a player with one good season at this level (as much as I like him as a player) and if he wants out then we should get as much moolah as we can for him

I also don't know why they want him they have Gustede, Ayew and McCormack who all cost big money

2 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

I also don't know why they want him they have Gustede, Ayew and McCormack who all cost big money

Because Aston Villa are a mess and are just throwing money around and hope some of it sticks. And their chairman is every manager's worst nightmare. Di Matteo will be gone in a few weeks anyway if they're anything below top 6. 

3 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

Could not agree more, Murphy is a top quality, respected journalist who pretty much knows everything going on in the Midlands, sport wise.

3 minutes ago, chipdawg said:

I remember putting a tweet up on here a month or so back from Pat Murphy saying that Villa were definitely 'interested' in Kodjia so I suppose maybe should've seen this coming!

A great shame he's going to a rival C'ship club but I feel £15m is suitable compensation, especially for a player so technically lacking.

2 minutes ago, Doozerchris said:

I wonder if this had anything to do with his omission from the team Saturday. 

More to do with his head being distracted by all the transfer talk full stop. I wonder what that means in practice. Him not paying attention in training? Not communicating? Playing poorly? Big call by Johnson on Sat but obviously the right one. 

Just now, Fat Cigar said:

More to do with his head being distracted by all the transfer talk. I wonder what that means in practice. Him not paying attention in training? Not communicating? Playing poorly? Big call by Johnson on Sat but obviously the right one. 

Didn't want to play against Scunny either I believe?  He's forcing the clubs hand if that's the case.  Good riddance.

8 minutes ago, Flint says No said:

Seems crazy. One of them will be going by tomorrow I suppose, probably Ayew? For £15 million though I couldn't care less - it's a ridiculous amount of money if true for a one season track record. Amazing piece of business by us, just hope (and trust) that we have our ducks in a row for a replacement. 

2 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I really hope we've got someone lined up but even if it's worst case and we didn't, I'd still sell. £15m isn't just ridiculous money for Kodjia, it's insane.

To be fair, I think if he learns to time his runs a little better and gets even more consistent with his finishing then he could be a £15 million striker but Villa (or whoever) are taking a big gamble on potential.  I certainly think we should sell.  I'm confident that MA and LJ will have had contingency plans in mind all summer.  My one concern is we might actually be a bit caught out by how much money we've made on JK and might end up having a rapid rethink on targets due to having £5 million more available to spend than we'd accounted for...

6 minutes ago, nebristolred said:

I really hope we've got someone lined up but even if it's worst case and we didn't, I'd still sell. £15m isn't just ridiculous money for Kodjia, it's insane.

Agreed, and whilst Kodjia has been an exciting player I'm not sure he is great for the team as a whole.

His lack of tactical/positional understanding and trying to do a lot on his own has probably stopped us working so well as an attacking 'unit' I feel. I'm not sure it's a coincidence that we played some of our best attacking football against Scunthorpe and put three past Villa without Kodjia in the team. 

Just now, LondonBristolian said:

To be fair, I think if he learns to time his runs a little better and gets even more consistent with his finishing then he could be a £15 million striker but Villa (or whoever) are taking a big gamble on potential.  I certainly think we should sell.  I'm confident that MA and LJ will have had contingency plans in mind all summer.  My one concern is we might actually be a bit caught out by how much money we've made on JK and might end up having a rapid rethink on targets due to having £5 million more available to spend than we'd accounted for...

Agreed, and with the Yannick money too, we could go for a better striker than anticipated but I do have a feeling prices will go up from today and tomorrow, especially for us, losing our top goal scorer.

12 minutes ago, hodge said:

No problem with him going to another championship club if it's £15m, huge amount for us and we've already played villa.

For the first time this season.....we still have the away leg.....we can be short sighted. But for 15m we could buy 11 defenders to build a wall

2 minutes ago, RUSSEL85 said:

Agreed, and with the Yannick money too, we could go for a better striker than anticipated but I do have a feeling prices will go up from today and tomorrow, especially for us, losing our top goal scorer.

We have known he was leaving for at least couple of weeks, there must have been discussions with him and his agent when the bids came in during the Summer and eventually they have decided to force a move (removing BCFC history from his social media indicates thus).

Am confident we have 2 ducks lined up.

Archived