IGNORED

City Fans in France

Big Red Rich

41 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Typical comment, not Euro song contest is it? We are a monarchy it might be a factor in the choice of lyrics.

Lots of countries are monarchies. Nothing unique in that. 

Most of them manage to say a bit more in their national anthems than "erm, well, we have a queen and that's about it, really." Most actually have something specific to say about the country too.  England (and Great Britain) are amazing countries with a proud history in science, innovation the arts, laws, democracy, literature, theatre and culture. It's a country that has been shaped by many significant figures who've made an impact nationally and globally, along with the masses of ordinary people who have lived here, worked for their country and fought for their country. Our national anthem reflects none of that.  It focuses on one position at the top of society alone and, unlike the Netherlands, who also have a Royalist national anthem, incorporates nothing about Britain or its history. In fact, it's so generic you could sing it in any monarchy and it would still apply.

Yes - as you say - we are a monarchy. But do you really think that's all we are and all that is worth mentioning about our country? I think we're far greater than that and we should have a patriotic anthem about England (and another about GB when appropriate) that actually reflects what a fantastic country we are - not something so generic it could apply equally to any of the 44 monarchies in the world.

1 hour ago, LondonBristolian said:

The difference is that La Marseillaise is a stirring and passionate call to arms to defend the values  of the French Republic from anyone who would impose their will on the French people.

Our national anthem is, to quote the best description I've ever heard of it, "communal mumbling of a non-descript dirge in which we plead to a clearly indifferent God to prolong the existence of an old woman who lives in a castle."

The national anthem is an area I really, really envy the French and I wish we had something as patriotic as they did that actually has something to say about England, our values and our people. Jerusalem would do the job.

Excusing the lyrics - because I couldn't even tell you what La Marseillaise is supposed to tell me - QSTQ is a rousing anthem and this is what I base my argument for a good anthem on. Something that gets the blood pumping, irrespective of the content.

I like the Italian and French anthems, but seeing as I am fluent in neither language I only like the tune.

I may be in the minority with this, but Jerusalem I have little time for. It certainly isn't rousing.

6 minutes ago, redfred said:

Excusing the lyrics - because I couldn't even tell you what La Marseillaise is supposed to tell me - QSTQ is a rousing anthem and this is what I base my argument for a good anthem on. Something that gets the blood pumping, irrespective of the content.

I like the Italian and French anthems, but seeing as I am fluent in neither language I only like the tune.

I may be in the minority with this, but Jerusalem I have little time for. It certainly isn't rousing.

GSTQ is literally the opposite of rousing. It's a dirge. The "Send her victorious" bit aside, there is scarcely even a tune.

5 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

GSTQ is literally the opposite of rousing. It's a dirge. The "Send her victorious" bit aside, there is scarcely even a tune.

Similarly, there's a bit in La Marseillaise where seemingly everyone's forgotten the words for ten seconds and are scrabbling around trying to find them. That is not a good example of 'rousing'.

Nevertheless, I sincerely hope you'll be singing GSTQ at the top of your voice later.

Disagree Refred. The French all seem to sing the lyrics, which are very rousing, if highly bloodthirsty in the style of their main revolution. Lots of stuff about blood running in the furrows etc. it's a call to arms to slaughter the opponents of the revolution. I learnt it all at school and can sing it to this day - unlike GSTQ.

2 hours ago, LondonBristolian said:

The difference is that La Marseillaise is a stirring and passionate call to arms to defend the values  of the French Republic from anyone who would impose their will on the French people.

Our national anthem is, to quote the best description I've ever heard of it, "communal mumbling of a non-descript dirge in which we plead to a clearly indifferent God to prolong the existence of an old woman who lives in a castle."

The national anthem is an area I really, really envy the French and I wish we had something as patriotic as they did that actually has something to say about England, our values and our people. Jerusalem would do the job.

People may not like the Queen but more people don't believe in God and other similar fairytales therefore Jerusalem won't do the job. 

While it does piss me off when the pointless  mindless drunkeness starts, why did the French Police feel the need to clear the streets after the bars had shut. Surely everyone would make their way back to hotels in their own time when they realised no more beer was on offer! 

6 minutes ago, 1960maaan said:

While it does piss me off when the pointless  mindless drunkeness starts, why did the French Police feel the need to clear the streets after the bars had shut. Surely everyone would make their way back to hotels in their own time when they realised no more beer was on offer! 

What happened to the alcohol ban anyway?!

3 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I know what it means, as in this case changing ones loyalties in favour of Jerusalem etc...hence fickle. If you must look it up, but how odd to be pulled up on OTIB in such circumstances, still never mind. 

No, you're still wrong. If they were frequently changing their 'loyalty' in favour of different anthems that would be fickle. Just saying you prefer one over another, as per the post you described as fickle, is called having a preference.

National Anthems aside...

A few idiots come for the trouble and not the football and thousands of the rest of us had a rather pleasant time here last night. 

The Police are not going to change their tactics from what I see, to them the slightest hint of trouble or dissent and it's off with the noise grenades and CS gas launchers. To be honest everything they've had to put up with over here I'm surprised that they haven't been even heavier handed. 

Anyway we've met up with a sizeable group of Welsh fans here this morning and are off on a bar crawl together, so not all doom and gloom. 

30 minutes ago, NeilS said:

Your struggling, I can see that, but there you go... Changing Loyalties ie the monarchy is not an option for some, as would be the Anthem.

I'm not struggling at all, it's pretty simple really, seems like if anyone is struggling it's you.

Just sitting in the McDonalds at the ground. Pouring with rain. Enjoying a coffee with a Welsh chap and the chaplain at AFC Bournemouth. Lovely people, although no insider tips on the Tomlin saga. Lens very calm and good humoured when we walked through the town. 

7 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Just sitting in the McDonalds at the ground. Pouring with rain. Enjoying a coffee with a Welsh chap and the chaplain at AFC Bournemouth. Lovely people, although no insider tips on the Tomlin saga. Lens very calm and good humoured when we walked through the town. 

Savouring the gastronomy of the region.  Every credit, Monsieur. 

That said, sat in a coffee shop in Lyon,  the food capital of France,  and contemplating a stroll to Johnny's Irish pub.

2 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Savouring the gastronomy of the region.  Every credit, Monsieur. 

That said, sat in a coffee shop in Lyon,  the food capital of France,  and contemplating a stroll to Johnny's Irish pub.

It's the only dry place in town! Enjoy Lyon. 

11 hours ago, wuntmeididntdoit said:

Keysham

Town sounds better. Don't know how to get a phone number to you.

How much are tickets

St aldhelms

Told you before

do as your told or you'll be the first against the wall come the reveloution

If you still need them we will be in Johnny's Kitchen on Rue Saint Georges.

Archived