IGNORED

City Fans in France

Big Red Rich

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Do you know Lee? Do you know the situation he was in? Do you know why he did what he did? 

No. You don't. You are making a judgment based on media reports, not from those who were there, those who know him and those who know what happened. 

For the record Lee spoke to me just 2 weeks ago and was very much looking forward to a good time in Marseille and expressed how he very much wanted to make sure he avoided any flashpoints, ie he was not out there for trouble. 

Unfortunately, as many many innocent fans have testified to, there was a situation beyond control which fans had not purposely placed themselves into. 

You sir, have zero understanding of what happened and shouldn't make such a judgement of an individual. 

I do understand what happened, and I'll state again, despite England fans clearly not being the perpetrators of the trouble, they must take some responsibility. 

15 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

I do understand what happened, and I'll state again, despite England fans clearly not being the perpetrators of the trouble, they must take some responsibility. 

Your response demonstrates that you do not know what happened. 

• Admin
19 minutes ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

Your response demonstrates that you do not know what happened. 

I agree with @Harry

I can only assume that you must know Lee and have spoken to him about the situation he found himself in?   

Picture this scenario, one side Russians are running at you - the other French police are firing tear gas at you. Bottles / chairs are being thrown at you - genuinely what would you do?

4 minutes ago, phantom said:

I agree with @Harry

I can only assume that you must know Lee and have spoken to him about the situation he found himself in?   

Picture this scenario, one side Russians are running at you - the other French police are firing tear gas at you. Bottles / chairs are being thrown at you - genuinely what would you do?

Turn the other cheek ?

34 minutes ago, phantom said:

I agree with @Harry

Shit myself, potentially......

Just found this bit, if true have little sympathy.

England fan Lee Phillips, 23, from Taunton, has been jailed for one month after appearing in court in Marseille charged in connection with violence at the weekend.

He also received a two-year ban from France for "throwing bottles at a woman".

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Super said:

England fan Lee Phillips, 23, from Taunton, has been jailed for one month after appearing in court in Marseille charged in connection with violence at the weekend.

As that reads I would 100% agree with you

Sadly as others have alluded to - it's not all black and white.

Your choice. 

Stand still get attacked and stabbed/slashed/stamped on. 

Run the other way to the police and get beaten tear gased and or arrested. Months in jail/career threatened.

Or stay where you are and use the only thing available near you to protect yourself?

what would you do?  Because that is EXACTLY the situation  a very very large number of peaceful England fans found themselves in on Saturday. 

You have a split second decision to make.

What seems to be emerging here is a picture where English fans are being arrested/charged/jailed for assaulting French nationals and French police, whilst no Russians as yet arrested for seriously assaulting English nationals. 

42 minutes ago, Super said:

Obviously I don't know the details, but 'throwing bottles at a woman' - that means he's got the accuracy of a sniper, presuming there are far less women than men out there

Slinging a bottle into a baying crowd is one thing, but having the ability to pick out the fairer sex is something else

Like I say, I don't know the situation, I don't know the bloke - I'd rather hear his side of the story. That just sounds a little too convenient to me

20 minutes ago, Woodsy said:

Obviously I don't know the details, but 'throwing bottles at a woman' - that means he's got the accuracy of a sniper, presuming there are far less women than men out there

Slinging a bottle into a baying crowd is one thing, but having the ability to pick out the fairer sex is something else

Like I say, I don't know the situation, I don't know the bloke - I'd rather hear his side of the story. That just sounds a little too convenient to me

is it that French woman in the red/pink dress? I saw pictures of her being arrested the other day for chucking bottles at people

5 minutes ago, exAtyeoMax said:

is it that French woman in the red/pink dress? I saw pictures of her being arrested the other day for chucking bottles at people

I don't know mate, just going on what Super pulled from the report. Sounds like she got what was coming if she was slinging them in the general direction of the English fans.....

1 hour ago, phantom said:

I agree with @Harry

Thought I read that he was throwing bottles at police, which if so he deserves prison. No matter how badly you think a police officers acting, it doesn't warrant that.

if he wasn't, let's hope the truth comes out and he doesn't suffer consequences for others actions. 

I spoke to a couple of Sunderland fans inside the stadium on Saturday.

They had clearly seen action as one of them had a black eye and cuts all over his face.

They said the French police were picking up the bottles and throwing them back at the England fans.

1 hour ago, CITYAREREDANDWHITE said:

Thought I read that he was throwing bottles at police, which if so he deserves prison. No matter how badly you think a police officers acting, it doesn't warrant that.

if he wasn't, let's hope the truth comes out and he doesn't suffer consequences for others actions. 

The truth is already known but you won't find it in the press. 

Thankfully someone somewhere has seen sense and he's been released and is back in the UK with no charges. 

So this innocent lad has had unnecessary press intrusion (and his character falsely judged by all and sundry) for what amounts to nothing but protecting himself. 

40 minutes ago, Harry said:

Thankfully someone somewhere has seen sense and he's been released and is back in the UK with no charges. 

So this innocent lad has had unnecessary press intrusion (and his character falsely judged by all and sundry) for what amounts to nothing but protecting himself. 

Sad when fellow football fans- especially fellow City fans- are so quick to do so.

Glad he's back safely.

59 minutes ago, Harry said:

The father of Alex Booth - one of the five arrested and jailed - is on the BBC News website criticising his son's arrest stating that he was with him the entire time and he did nothing.

Anyone who's ever experienced foreign policing will not be surprised by this or Lee's subsequent release.

To me it feels like the arrests are just token arrests to make it look like the police have some sort of handle on it. Let's face it, given the scale of what has been happening, arresting a 16 yr old for throwing a bottle is hardly going to stop there being any trouble in future. 

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Great news. Hopefully the Somerset County Gazette, amongst others, who've been quick to cover the story with pictures of his arrest, and another huge picture of his face from facebook will be equally quick to publicise the latest developments. 

Archived