IGNORED

Euro 2016 thread

Super

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Interesting that you put ourselves and Portugal in the "big nations" group.  I would say in terms of our current standing in the European and World game, and our achievements over the past 20 years compared to the others, we don't belong anywhere near that group.

Spain - Euros winners (2008, 2012), World Cup winners (2010)

Germany - World Cup winners (2014), World Cup finalists (2002)

France - World Cup winners (1998), Euro winners (2000), World Cup finalists (2006)

Italy - World Cup winners (2006)

England - still harking back to a semi-final appearance in 1996 when we won 2 matches out of 5.

I put us in the "big nations" group more down to the expectation, those are the nations expected to do well each time there is a Euros.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

Pretty much a free game for Wales tomorrow given they play Russia last.

Actually I see this as a terrible result for Wales. A Slovakia loss and they were almost guarantee a top three place now its up for grabs. Wales could potentially lose to both Us and Russia

2 minutes ago, Big C said:

Actually I see this as a terrible result for Wales. A Slovakia loss and they were almost guarantee a top three place now its up for grabs. Wales could potentially lose to both Us and Russia

Not a chance they will lose to Russia they are garbage. They only need a point from 2 games they will go through.

5 minutes ago, Super said:

Not a chance they will lose to Russia they are garbage. They only need a point from 2 games they will go through.

To be fair no one thought Hungary would beat Austria or Iceland draw with Portugal. Tournament football is never that predictable! 

2 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

To be fair no one thought Hungary would beat Austria or Iceland draw with Portugal. Tournament football is never that predictable! 

Fair point, i'm guessing 3 points might even be enough finishing 3rd.

11 minutes ago, Super said:

Of course there is a chance. You talk as if Wales are Brazil 1970.

Certainly don't agree with the notion of a "free game" in a four team group either.

2 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Of course there is a chance. You talk as if Wales are Brazil 1970.

Certainly don't agree with the notion of a "free game" in a four team group either.

More based on the fact Russia are garbage actually.

18 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

Unfortunately, one aspect of tournament football is predictable and that is England's likely performance.

1 hour ago, Frenchay Red said:

How will Russia have 3 points?

They got the next world cup, so anything is possible.

Putin will see to it!

3 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Yet they took a point from us. If they can manage that, albeit luckily, easily possible they could beat Wales.

Really does highlight what a poor result that was for us.

1 hour ago, Super said:

Really does highlight what a poor result that was for us.

I was in a minority after the Russia game last week for saying how poor we were. The team who we drew with just got beat by the team who lost to Wales.

Nightmare.

Mind you, we will go through by default as Russia are about to be kicked out as their fans are kicking off again as per sky news a moment ago.

11 minutes ago, The Batman said:

I was in a minority after the Russia game last week for saying how poor we were. The team who we drew with just got beat by the team who lost to Wales.

Nightmare.

Mind you, we will go through by default as Russia are about to be kicked out as their fans are kicking off again as per sky news a moment ago.

Russia being kicked out does not guarantee qualification. But someone will have to explain to me how they are going to work out the third place qualifiers if that happens. I simply cannot see a truly fair way of doing it.

10 minutes ago, The Batman said:

Nightmare.

UEFA won't kick our Russia, it's empty promises. The biggest fear is England will be kicked out. Watching the news they've said the population of English fans have changed from youngsters to older men. I suspect a few older hooligans have always had the Welsh game on their radar and also a fair few from their side. This with what happened over the weekend with the Russians, ain't going to be pretty

5 minutes ago, daored said:

UEFA won't kick our Russia, it's empty promises. The biggest fear is England will be kicked out. Watching the news they've said the population of English fans have changed from youngsters to older men. I suspect a few older hooligans have always had the Welsh game on their radar and also a fair few from their side. This with what happened over the weekend with the Russians, ain't going to be pretty

Funnily enough it's just started

One of the side stories so far is only us and RoI have been involved in drawn games so far. Every other game has been a positive result. Might mean third place is going to need a minimum of three points to have a chance of going through.

Was hoping Russia would win today, as it would mean a win for us tomorrow would ensure we could finish no worse than third. Whatever our result against Wales, it must now all be on the last game v Slovakia.

Archived