IGNORED

Euro 2016 thread

Super

2 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I was going to write "great player, shit bloke". Given his charity efforts that would be unfair, but he's a poor sport. Every right to be disappointed but to begrudge Iceland their moment is incredibly petty.

Plus he was absolutely useless himself last night.

8 hours ago, Olé said:

Pepe was born a clown and should never have been allowed to play for Portugal or any country where being a tosser isn't tolerated but to talk about Ronaldo is just embarrassing EMB.

The embarrassment is Ronaldo's not mine, please note I never questioned his undoubted prowess as on of two best players in the world and his place in world football history as one of the greatest ever will be cemented forever, but his lack of sportsmanship, lack of humility, the way that he flounced off of the field after the game apparently only shaking hands with one Iceland player and his post match comments that I have just read are absolutely pathetic and embarrassing, he is acting like a spoiled child who has not got his way, defend for his football by all means even though on the night he missed 2 sitters (by his standards) which would have changed the result and never played particularly well in the game, defend him as a player by all means but please do not come here defending his spoilt prima donna attitude after the game, because it was embarrassing in anybody's language.

I suppose at least he never criticised his own team mates, something that he has been known to do after a Real Madrid defeat.

14 hours ago, Red Right Hand said:

Their manager is Lars Lagerback who Tommy keeps banging on about from his beer cellar in Stockholm.

Joint head coach with some Icelandic bloke.

It was the first Euro game I got really excited by. Iceland have beaten Holland twice to get here and have what it takes to potentially finish second in the group IMO. A great result for a country the size of Doncaster. 

14 hours ago, City169 said:

Population is smaller than Bristols isn't it? Maybe City will qualify for the next Euros

Bristol's pop is around 450,000, Iceland is about 330,000.  So yeh, much smaller.  I also read that they have historically not been great emigrators, and have been fairly insular; therefore there aren't that many people around the world that have Icelandic heritage and so they basically have to choose form those born and raised on the island itself.

PS their military consists of 6 patrol boats, one aeroplane, 200 men and 3 helicopters.

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

I was going to write "great player, shit bloke". Given his charity efforts that would be unfair, but he's a poor sport. Every right to be disappointed but to begrudge Iceland their moment is incredibly petty.

Those charity efforts all help feed the Ronaldo 'brand'.  He's not doing it solely out of love.

4 minutes ago, cityloyal473 said:

Those charity efforts all help feed the Ronaldo 'brand'.  He's not doing it solely out of love.

I'm no fan of his but I seem to remember reading about him being the world's most charitable sporting figure sometime last year. That counts for something, whatever the motive.

40 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

PS their military consists of 6 patrol boats, one aeroplane, 200 men and 3 helicopters.

According to many, that is going to be the size of our military before too long.

14 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Ronaldo has always flattered to deceive in international tournaments. Not something you could say about the Zidanes or Brazilian Ronaldos of this world

Zidane flattened to deceive in the WC final against Italy!

Some of these comments from the Iceland players are quite good:

“It makes it even sweeter when he’s a sore loser like that. I mean, he can say whatever he wants," said Arnason. "He didn’t really get a chance today, he got one and he couldn’t put it away. What can I say? Sore loser. Tough s---.”

"He’s just a sore loser. He didn’t want to lose the game. What does he expect - for us to play like Barcelona against him? He fannies about and dives around."

2 minutes ago, Northern Red said:

Some of these comments from the Iceland players are quite good:

“It makes it even sweeter when he’s a sore loser like that. I mean, he can say whatever he wants," said Arnason. "He didn’t really get a chance today, he got one and he couldn’t put it away. What can I say? Sore loser. Tough s---.”

"He’s just a sore loser. He didn’t want to lose the game. What does he expect - for us to play like Barcelona against him? He fannies about and dives around."

Can you get a sore drawer?

On ‎13‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 21:24, City169 said:

Poorer.

To be fair I've said this a lot before, but all of the "big" nations (Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Portugal, ourselves) have at least 1 world class player, except us.

Interesting that you put ourselves and Portugal in the "big nations" group.  I would say in terms of our current standing in the European and World game, and our achievements over the past 20 years compared to the others, we don't belong anywhere near that group.

Spain - Euros winners (2008, 2012), World Cup winners (2010)

Germany - World Cup winners (2014), World Cup finalists (2002)

France - World Cup winners (1998), Euro winners (2000), World Cup finalists (2006)

Italy - World Cup winners (2006)

England - still harking back to a semi-final appearance in 1996 when we won 2 matches out of 5.

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Blimey this putting the cat amongst the pigeons.  After today Wales, Slovakia and Russia will all have three points, so England have it all to do.

Russia won't.

2 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Blimey this putting the cat amongst the pigeons.  After today Wales, Slovakia and Russia will all have three points, so England have it all to do.

England will top the group if they win their last two matches. I think Wales will hockey Russia if they play like this again.

3 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

England will top the group if they win their last two matches. I think Wales will hockey Russia if they play like this again.

Are Russia useless at Hockey as well then?!

Archived