IGNORED

Next England Manager

Silvio Dante

2 hours ago, redfred said:

Id love to see Hoddle back in the job. A strong, intelligent manager who the players clearly respected last time out.

The obvious sticking point is whether the FA can bring themselves to re-employ following those terrible comments he made.

Outside of Hoddle, there's no one I can see capable other than Allardyce.....

Anything to get him off commentary. 

Hodgson has to take a huge amount of criticism for his performance in this championship.

It started with selection.  Like all other England managers in my time, he decided to build (or, as it happens, not build) a team around the best players.  Rather than fitting the players into a system.

He also picked woefully unfit players because they were once quite good.

When we got to the competition it seemed like any system previously used was thrown away.  And the PL's top scorer was taking corner kicks.  But that was changed after a couple of games and the all-time top scorer for England was taking corner kicks. :blink:

However, we cannot blame Hodgson for the quite awful, and disgraceful, performance by the English players.  With the exception of Rashford, they were all terrible.

Missed passes, miss control, freekicks kicked straight out....the litany of shame just continues.

Any new manager will not be able to improve on technically, and mentally, weak players.

29 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

Maybe this time we just shouldn't go for a big name and pay so much.  Paying for "the best" hasn't worked brilliantly for either us or Turkey.  Avoid the big names.

Swedish Tommy has been banging on about Lar Lagerback for years.  Why not?

3514CCBF00000578-3632231-image-a-2_14654

If those figures are correct then why on earth are the FA paying The Owl so much money? That's crazy. 

2 hours ago, BA14 RED said:

For me international management means **** all to do with club success. Look at Coleman not ever set the world alight anywhere else has he.

What we need is a Manager who will say it as it is and actually gets the players fighting for the shirt and if they dont they know where the door is. 

And like Shearer said they have gone down the experienced route and it still doesnt work. 

Spot on.  At international level it's about passion and commitment - let the clubs do the coaching.  I'd give it to Shearer.

Money shouldn't be a factor for the interested candidates. £200k is plenty enough for a job that takes very little effort.

Integrity needs to be taken into account. Why hire someone and put them on heaps of money?

Why play players who don't play for their club?

Why not pick players who at least show enthusiasm and passion for their country?

Why the **** wasn't Drinkwater included? Look at Kante as an example; at least France had the sense to pick him on form.

So many issues with the English FA, they're utterly clueless. 

Corrupt may be a better word.

2 hours ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

Shearer's managerial experience extends to overseeing Newcastle's relegation to the Championship.

Hiddink for me, but I wouldn't be too disappointed with Hoddle if they 'have' to go English (which is BS).

Why is it BS?

To me, the whole point of international football is that it's the best one country can produce versus the best that another country can produce, and that should extend to the management team as well as the players on the pitch. If the best we can produce is Gareth Southgate, so be it.

In terms of players, you can't buy success by paying for better players and you have to work with what you've got, which is why some of the world's poorest countries (e.g. Ivory Coast) can beat some of the world's richest countries - that's what I like about international football. To me, the same should apply to the coaching staff  

5 minutes ago, Scrumpy said:

Money shouldn't be a factor for the interested candidates. £200k is plenty enough for a job that takes very little effort.

Integrity needs to be taken into account. Why hire someone and put them on heaps of money?

Why play players who don't play for their club?

Why not pick players who at least show enthusiasm and passion for their country?

Why the **** wasn't Drinkwater included? Look at Kante as an example; at least France had the sense to pick him on form.

So many issues with the English FA, they're utterly clueless. 

Corrupt may be a better word.

Could not agree more, the FA have to take a lot of the blame clearly he should of been sacked after the last world cup, also you have to pick players in form, Sterling has had a shocking season yet still go into the squad. Hodgson never had a clue what his best team and formation was.

As for Shearer as manager, the allegations in Graham Kelly's book just don't sit well even 18 years on, so it's a 'no' from me. 

Can't say I'd be enthusiastic about Hoddle returning either. His man-management before and during the 98 World Cup (particularly when he deliberately humiliated Beckham in front of the whole squad - Tony Adams was scathing about it) left a lot to be desired. Speak to some of the ex-pros that you bump into at airports or in hotels on England away trips and you get the picture. 

4 minutes ago, North London Red said:

As for Shearer as manager, the allegations in Graham Kelly's book just don't sit well even 18 years on, so it's a 'no' from me. 

Can't say I'd be enthusiastic about Hoddle returning either. His man-management before and during the 98 World Cup (particularly when he deliberately humiliated Beckham in front of the whole squad - Tony Adams was scathing about it) left a lot to be desired. Speak to some of the ex-pros that you bump into at airports or in hotels on England away trips and you get the picture. 

???

1 hour ago, North London Red said:

Crikey, nothing like bearing a grudge.  It was pretty feeble stuff at the time, I thought, and given Kelly's links to the Hillsborough disaster I wouldn't give him the time of day.

58 minutes ago, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Crikey, nothing like bearing a grudge.  It was pretty feeble stuff at the time, I thought, and given Kelly's links to the Hillsborough disaster I wouldn't give him the time of day.

Well...I just think it's a little hypocritical of him to criticise the application of England's players when he himself retired from international duty aged just 29. 

Has LJ been mentioned yet?

All joking aside, let's hope that one day he is, means he would've achieved incredible things for us, and possibly his next club.

Isn't Eddie Howe just 2 years ahead of Lee in his footballing development?

Albeit, 2 exceptional seasons.

18 hours ago, New Dazzler said:

Agreed, the only English manager of that list who appeals is Eddie Howe, although Slaven Bilic would be my first choice and a realistic target.  And he has already stopped us qualifying for a tournament, so may not feel compelled to dump on us twice!

In what world is Bilic a realistic target???

The fact that everyone seems to be having the same conversation about which terrible manager is the least terrible option for our national team needs to be addressed by the FA.

It's beyond a joke that the talent pool for English managers is so thin, and regardless of any changes to immigration, the Premier League will always import the best managers. The FA needs to seriously invest in coaching, with a view to not just coaching in this country, but actively promoting English coaching abroad. If Gary Neville can get a managerial role at Valencia of all places based on a personal friendship how can't we get talented English coaches opportunities in different countries?

If the FA won't push coaching, then send some potential coaches elsewhere so they can get their badges in a different country. Do anything to get the number of English coaches up.

A manager thats not a dinosaur, knows the modern game, has tactical knowledge and maybe one that knows his best team after working with the players for years!

My preference would be a English manager purely because we have tried foreign coaches and it didn't work and they could never show their full passion leading another nationality to their own.

My choice would be Hoddle but i can't see the FA going back.

If the FA went with a foreign manager then Slaven Bilic is the man, he wouldn't have his favorites and he wouldn't be a yes man!

Archived