IGNORED

Next England Manager

Silvio Dante

9 hours ago, ForeverRed said:

Surely we need someone with previous International Management experience!!!!

Gary Johnson?

Or the joint managers of Iceland.  They've done a good job. 

6 hours ago, Robin Ashton said:

Job for Colin...

Now we are getting down to discussing serious candidates  

http://www.examiner.co.uk/sport/football/news/former-huddersfield-town-manager-among-11535773

(if you have to answer a survey, do it then take the "skip survey" option. It's worth it to get an insight to who will be the next England manager)

12 hours ago, redfred said:

Id love to see Hoddle back in the job. A strong, intelligent manager who the players clearly respected last time out.

The obvious sticking point is whether the FA can bring themselves to re-employ following those terrible comments he made.

Outside of Hoddle, there's no one I can see capable other than Allardyce.....

Been out of football a long time but rather have him than Southgate or pardew

9 hours ago, Charliesboots said:

image.jpeg

Wenger wouldn't be any good, there's too many English players in the England team, and not nearly enough French.

Besides, he wouldn't "see" most of the game... 

4 hours ago, yardy said:

A manager thats not a dinosaur, knows the modern game, has tactical knowledge and maybe one that knows his best team after working with the players for years!

My preference would be a English manager purely because we have tried foreign coaches and it didn't work and they could never show their full passion leading another nationality to their own.

My choice would be Hoddle but i can't see the FA going back.

If the FA went with a foreign manager then Slaven Bilic is the man, he wouldn't have his favorites and he wouldn't be a yes man!

See where you're coming from, but in fairness the English ones haven't worked!!!

14 hours ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

Shearer's managerial experience extends to overseeing Newcastle's relegation to the Championship.

Hiddink for me, but I wouldn't be too disappointed with Hoddle if they 'have' to go English (which is BS).

Didn't he take a side that was virtually relegated when he was appointed though?

18 hours ago, Cunnyfunt said:

Why would we go for Hiddink? He left the Dutch post after failing to qualify for this very tournament. A qualifying campaign that included defeat to those minnows Iceland.

He also failed to qualify for Euro 2012 as manager of Turkey and he failed to qualify for the 2010 World Cup as manager of Russia, not a good record. We should not be considering him as a potential England manager at all.

When England managers fail to qualify for tournaments they get hounded and ridiculed by our media and fans.

23 hours ago, Fordingbridge Pirate said:

Hiddink for me, but I wouldn't be too disappointed with Hoddle if they 'have' to go English (which is BS).

Why Hiddink? As an international manager he failed to qualify for World Cup 2010, failed to qualify for Euro 2012, failed to qualify for Euro 2016....

So, a track record that makes you think he'd make an Engalnd manager?!

On ‎28‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 10:45, The Dolman Pragmatist said:

Spot on.  At international level it's about passion and commitment - let the clubs do the coaching.  I'd give it to Shearer.

Absolutely - as proved by the exceptionally successful reign of Kevin Keegan in charge of the national team.

58 minutes ago, AshtonGreat said:

Meaning what exactly?

You wondered if you were the only one who could not care less anymore. I pointed out that the previous incumbents of the England manager's job also shared this attitude so wondered if you were putting your name forward for the vacant post.

Pundits constantly talk about England needing a solid tactician.

If that's what the FA require, and they're willing to look outside of England, why not offer Marcelo Bielsa a contract?

He's a cult hero to a lot of people, and had been linked to a number of clubs in England like Everton and Swansea. He's also managed top-quality national sides in Argentina and Chile.

Finally, the media will love him, because he has a reputation for outbursts and answering everything asked of him.

30 minutes ago, handsofclay1909 said:

You wondered if you were the only one who could not care less anymore. I pointed out that the previous incumbents of the England manager's job also shared this attitude so wondered if you were putting your name forward for the vacant post.

Oh gotcha! Sorry bit slow on the uptake there :-)

I suppose one must argue that in order to peak at a tournament you have to know how to squeeze the last ounce of blood and sweat from each player in the squad. 

The England team are no worse that any of the last 8 bar perhaps Germany and that is fairly similar each and every tournament. So how is it we perennially fail?

You can blame the hounding media apparently representing the stereotypical English fan bereft of anything to celebrate since 1966 and with rare exceptions of effort such as Italia 90 or England 96. And yes maybe they are worse than all other countries' media and that puts unbearable pressure on the team. This we hear about in every tournament. But do other countries do it so differently that gives them an advantage? We all recall what happened when Sven went for the complete lockdown in South Africa or how Hodgson did the complete opposite in Brasil.

I would argue that the FA get it wrong more often than not because they always aim to appoint a manager who entertains. With Sir Bobby and El Tel it almost came off because we had the players to do it. Most other candidates were employed for the same reason to largely abysmal failure.

The FA need some cumulative brain power to figure out that a certain squad or set of players in a certain era requires a certain manager. No more so than at national level. Its a short time that an opportunity arises in which a country can win something.

To my mind this set of players is far too young and far too inexperienced to have a manager with the soft and quiet disposition of Roy Hodgson who's tactics have been found wanting. I strongly believe an Allardyce or Warnock would have squeezed far more out of them ; i really don't care if we play boring or long ball ... I just don't want to ever be humiliated like we were by Iceland and Hodgson in equal measure this last weekend. No chance Alardyce would have played the fast but tactically poor Sterling. Nor would Wilshere have been anywhere near the team, let alone in the squad. Hopeless blunders like this from a man who wants to play the pretty game with players who are either ill suited for it or have no back bone and no leadership. That is quite simply down to lack of leadership or nous at the top. If Southgate gets the job it will be more of the same. I seriously cannot see Pardew changing the paradigm either. 

We are, of course, seeing evidence of being victims of our own premier league success if one can express it in that way. The openness and huge pay check of the competition has sucked in the best from around the world pushing the English manager down the divisions who then get overlooked; the viscious cycle has to be broken or we may end up having to consider a foreign manager again. I am not sure Eddie Howe is mad enough to accept the job should he be offered the role nor is he ready for it but therein lies the dilemma. The FA are cornered, yet again; like him or lump him they should have gone for Harry over Hodgson. If only someone like Terry Venables was still around. Glenn Hoddle probably is the best possible option. It would be bold though and the FA have little of that in their DNA. Hoddle and Howe anybody?

6 hours ago, maxjak said:

Out of the candidates so far mentioned………..I would go for Jurgen Klinnsman (World Cup Semi-Finalist) with an English Assistant.

Could you really have a German managing england?

Archived