IGNORED

Le Tour de France 2016

• Admin

Well the attacks from Movistar didn't happen on the final climb.  Maybe everyone was on their limit in the atrocious weather.  

Overall, an outstanding first week for the Brits and a well deserved day off tomorrow.  I've been very impressed with Adam Yates, let's see if he can stay in contention for a podium place.

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

Well the attacks from Movistar didn't happen on the final climb.  Maybe everyone was on their limit in the atrocious weather.  

Overall, an outstanding first week for the Brits and a well deserved day off tomorrow.  I've been very impressed with Adam Yates, let's see if he can stay in contention for a podium place.

Yes I think he can, he just looks to be getting stronger as the race goes on. As far as today`s concerned I think they just wanted to finish safely, that hail was atrocious.

7 minutes ago, Esmond Million's Bung said:

I sometimes think that Quintana is none to bright, last year we kept waiting for him to attack and he left it and left it, he pulled back some but not nearly enough, I just don't get his tactics or of course Froome is just better than Quintana.

Still loving it though.

I just think the others are beaten mentally. They know that anything they try and pull, Sky will just reel them in again. That and Chris Froome is far better than anyone else!

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I just think the others are beaten mentally. They know that anything they try and pull, Sky will just reel them in again. That and Chris Froome is far better than anyone else!

I suspect that you are probably right, but I can't help thinking that even though a spent force for several seasons now at least Contador has a right go now and again.

• Admin
6 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

TBF both Chris and Cav are `lucky` in that there aren`t a lot of truly great riders around at the moment. No Cippolini or anyone even close in the sprints, no Indurain or anyone for the GC. That`s not taking anything away from them, you can only ride against who`s entered.

Think you're doing Cav an injustice comparing him to Super Mario, when the Super was definitely EPO driven

8 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

TBF both Chris and Cav are `lucky` in that there aren`t a lot of truly great riders around at the moment. No Cippolini or anyone even close in the sprints, no Indurain or anyone for the GC. That`s not taking anything away from them, you can only ride against who`s entered.

I agree but I found Quintana's tactics last season strange and this season even more so.

15 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Not sure that was worth it for the amount of time he gained with Mont Ventoux tomorrow. Sure it'll be grand though. Great win for Sagan, taking the sprinters out of the equation. Pleased for him.

So pleased for Sagan, you could tell how happy he was from his interview, he couldn`t believe it (anyone else thinks he looks like Zlatan`s little brother?)

They said just now if it`s too windy tomorrow the finish could be further down the Ventoux and not the summit - apparently if it had been today, it would have been.

27 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

So pleased for Sagan, you could tell how happy he was from his interview, he couldn`t believe it (anyone else thinks he looks like Zlatan`s little brother?)

They said just now if it`s too windy tomorrow the finish could be further down the Ventoux and not the summit - apparently if it had been today, it would have been.

Interesting. That would be a huge blow to Quintana.

1 hour ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Not sure that was worth it for the amount of time he gained with Mont Ventoux tomorrow. Sure it'll be grand though. Great win for Sagan, taking the sprinters out of the equation. Pleased for him.

35 minutes ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Interesting. That would be a huge blow to Quintana.

For me if Quintana doesn't set a marker tomorrow and claim some time back, I fear it is all over for him barring a Froome accident.

Quintana's tactics last year and this year so far have been baffling IMO, he needs to stop following Froome and actually have a go or it's all over especially with 2 time trials to come, last year was the same 'maybe tomorrow' but tomorrows run out in the tour.

For whatever reason Quintana doesn’t seem to be the same animal that lit a rocket under Froome’s ass in the mountains a cpl of years back.

That said Froome still looks on the up and even better as an all round cyclist which he proved with his descent and stage win last week. All about DB's marginal gains 

Today's performance was mind-blowing and Sky's tactical awareness and nous to be pushing today knowing full well the high winds could smash the peloton to pieces was complete textbook with big G turning himself inside out again for his Leader

Sagan is a complete enigma and a special rider and his face said it all as the Yellow jersey provided him a lead out for the victory. It was great to see the two of them deep in convo as CF he did his warm down. All in all a special day seeing Green leading Yellow over the line  on a day destined of for out and out sprinters. Stoked for him getting the win but it says it all about his class when he seemed prepared to wave Bodnar through for his team mate to take the stage untill he realised the had serious company. 

Team Sky also look super strong and heading into the Alps it's gonna take on hell of a performance to wrestle that Yellow jersey from him. Let’s hope the tomorrows spectacle of a finish on Mont Ventoux isn’t scuppered by the high winds

3 hours ago, MichaelRobartes said:

Shame for Cav, out the back of the peloton. Watching on Eurosport Deutschland so no clue what happened there. Froome and a small group pounding up the road, 22 seconds on the peloton with 3.7km to go.

He had a mechanical failure. I don't think it would have made a difference because Froome, Thomas and Sagan were really on it.

52 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

For whatever reason Quintana doesn’t seem to be the same animal that lit a rocket under Froome’s ass in the mountains a cpl of years back.

That said Froome still looks on the up and even better as an all round cyclist which he proved with his descent and stage win last week. All about DB's marginal gains 

Today's performance was mind-blowing and Sky's tactical awareness and nous to be pushing today knowing full well the high winds could smash the peloton to pieces was complete textbook with big G turning himself inside out again for his Leader

Sagan is a complete enigma and a special rider and his face said it all as the Yellow jersey provided him a lead out for the victory. It was great to see the two of them deep in convo as CF he did his warm down. All in all a special day seeing Green leading Yellow over the line  on a day destined of for out and out sprinters. Stoked for him getting the win but it says it all about his class when he seemed prepared to wave Bodnar through for his team mate to take the stage untill he realised the had serious company. 

Team Sky also look super strong and heading into the Alps it's gonna take on hell of a performance to wrestle that Yellow jersey from him. Let’s hope the tomorrows spectacle of a finish on Mont Ventoux isn’t scuppered by the high winds

Sky saying earlier that there won`t be a summit finish tomorrow due to the forecast high winds which will be a shame. I`d already arranged to get home early to watch it!

24 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Sky saying earlier that there won`t be a summit finish tomorrow due to the forecast high winds which will be a shame. I`d already arranged to get home early to watch it!

A huge shame. Personally think it was Quintana's last chance to go all in but just can't have him this year and fully expect to see a very special performance from the Maillot Jaune if today's show of strength didn't take him too far into the red

Another stage win and taking more time from the field awaits. Don't rue your early finish it's still gonna be some spectacle

4 minutes ago, RaspberryRed said:

A huge shame. Personally think it was Quintana's last chance to go all in but just can't have him this year and fully expect to see a very special performance Maillot Jaune if today's show of strength didn't take him too far into the red

Another stage win and taking more time from the field awaits. Don't rue your early finish it's still gonna be some spectacle

As long as he doesn`t lose time to Quintana tomorrow I think he could effectively wrap things up in the time trial on Friday. He`s at least a minute better than Quintana in a TT, more if NQ`s lost the mental battle.

3 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

As long as he doesn`t lose time to Quintana tomorrow I think he could effectively wrap things up in the time trial on Friday. He`s at least a minute better than Quintana in a TT, more if NQ`s lost the mental battle.

Totally agree just think he holds all the aces and that combined with his blistering form I can really see him wanting to smash his authority home again on a piece of road he holds very dear

Yes you're right especially combined with the 2nd TT to follow

Let's be honest here, Froome is in a league of his own, he has the quickest mind and is the best problem solver in the peloton, he is a different animal to any that have gone before, last year and this year he has surprised us all on countless occasions and just when you think you've seen it all, he does something even more left field, in fact to be fair he is probably the only GC rider prepared to actually take risk, the rest are to mechanical and I believe that he deserves extra credit for trying something different and although is brilliantly supported by the best team in the peloton, he can still survive without them when needed.

Cav is in great form and put him the right place at the right time he could have swept the board in the sprint finishes IMO.

And as pointed out Sagan is just something else, the man is a beast and a joy to watch and doesn't need and doesn't possess a team to support him, these 3 plus Steve Cummings and the grit and determination of Adam Yates have lit up the tour this year and long may it continue.

Archived