IGNORED

Adam Matthews - Signed (Season Long Loan)

Eastend

25 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

We desperately need a RB. I've seen Mark Little could be available. Is he any good?

Dislocated his shoulder last year so very hard to judge if he could play at championship level but if I were a preston fan id hope for better than a back up at a club that finished below you.

Wouldnt say he was availlible though more like we may be persuaded to sell

27 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

We desperately need a RB. I've seen Mark Little could be available. Is he any good?

Not saying he's a top quality and should be playing every week for us, but I think he's underrated.  He's not technically gifted, but he is a bit of a bulldozer, press his head down, knock it past his opponent and run after it type of player.

As above, he suffered a very serious shoulder dislocation that meant he missed last pre-season or at least the ability to complete it in anger.  I think it might still be in his head.

A definite wing back, who is probably a tad suspect defensively in a 442.

City's results with him in the team last season were quite decent, but that is ignored by many.

Having said all the positive stuff, I think Adam Matthews is a big upgrade for us.

6 minutes ago, Iron Man said:

Not for the championship no, remember the kid at school who's only move was to kick the ball and run after it? Now think of that at championship level.

Ha ha, should've waited 2 mins before starting my typing.

4 hours ago, pnefcok said:

Our second best RB- first being Matthews now he's here on loan. Ayling being extremely overrated on here. Unfortunately for Little he took a long time to get over the shoulder injury he picked up, and I don't think he has quite the power he had beforehand, and that was a large part of his game.

On 2 August 2016 at 00:04, Robin 101 said:

Dislocated his shoulder last year so very hard to judge if he could play at championship level but if I were a preston fan id hope for better than a back up at a club that finished below you.

Wouldnt say he was availlible though more like we may be persuaded to sell

Aye true, but then again that's what we're restricted to; unwanted players at other clubs. Worked well enough with Cunningham though ;)

59 minutes ago, pnefcok said:

Aye true, but then again that's what we're restricted to; unwanted players at other clubs. Worked well enough with Cunningham though ;)

Exactly. Just because it wasn't working out for him here doesn't mean he can't thrive elsewhere. My personal opinion of him, however, is that he wouldn't fit you guys. He will put the shift in and get forward well. The problem is the end bits. The actual defending he makes many mistakes and after he beats his man going forward, he's got no final ball. Don't think I've ever seen him cross from wide positions like normal RBs. He likes to get to the touch line and fire a low one but it rarely comes off as in this league it's being covered again. If he could beat his man and whip a cross in then he'd really be dangerous. 

On 3 August 2016 at 08:59, Sargent Pepper said:

As we suspected Matthews was always a top target this summer. Well done to Mark Ashton for getting it done

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/sunderland-afc-transfers-adam-matthews-11696510

Interesting that Mark Ashton states that Sunderland were always offering him only on loan. Reading between the lines, I wonder if Sunderland recognise that Matthews value is currently low, but a good season for us could see them turn a profit on him next year?

6 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Don't you sometimes play 3 at the back with wingbacks too?

At pretty much every away game yes.

Tend to play 4-3-3 more at home as it's a bit more of a fluid system going forward but 3-5-2 away from home has served us well for 3 seasons now.

Archived