IGNORED

Adam Matthews - Signed (Season Long Loan)

Eastend

28 minutes ago, Neo said:

Apologies - obviously missed it somewhere - maybe in between the whining about jokes posts but has it been confirmed a loan deal is imminent or is this speculation?  Source?

A Sunderland Echo reporter tweeted that Matthews would be moving clubs in the next few days, then confirmed it would be to us on a season-long loan. So not confirmed as such, but seems highly likely

For me - this seems an odd one.

If Adam is not wanted at Sunderland then why would they not cash in and try to get their money back? If they wanted a recall option- it could land us in a bit of bother with no clear replacement.

Perhaps what it all comes down to is wages. He's on Prem wages with another 3 yrs in contract ( he's not going to throw that away)- we won't pay that much nor will any other club in our bracket whilst the bigger clubs have bigger targets so he hasn't got too many options unless he wants to take a big cut in wages? A loan means they don't have to pay all the wages yet could potentially have an increasing asset. If he did have a good season with us then both him and Sunderland hold all the cards.

7 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

If Adam is not wanted at Sunderland then why would they not cash in and try to get their money back? If they wanted a recall option- it could land us in a bit of bother with no clear replacement.

Perhaps what it all comes down to is wages. He's on Prem wages with another 3 yrs in contract ( he's not going to throw that away)- we won't pay that much nor will any other club in our bracket whilst the bigger clubs have bigger targets so he hasn't got too many options unless he wants to take a big cut in wages? A loan means they don't have to pay all the wages yet could potentially have an increasing asset. If he did have a good season with us then both him and Sunderland hold all the cards.

I think the suggestion that there is some sort of "loyalty bonus" he would miss out on if he triggers the move, compared to some sort of payout if Sunderland release him before the end of contract, seems a reasonable one to me. Hopefully it's not because we are refusing to pay his agent £22m to broker the deal!!

10 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

What's a little odd is that Moyes hasn't even bothered looking at him. Assume just taken the advice of the club's coaches and others and decided that was good enough for him.

I'm never keen on too many loans in a squad. A sign of instability and short-term planning. But, needs must. And our loanees were great for us last season. 

I imagine Sunderland want a new permanent right-back and then a back up before they'd consider selling Matthews. And yes, the wages issue. Do we think he's on more than Tomlin at Bournemouth? Either way, he's bound to be on more than anyone else (bar possibly Tomlin now) at the club and after the drawn out Tomlin saga, the club won't be going through that again. Plus, the thought process would be something along the lines of: Tomlin's worth the extra and then some. Not so a right-back. 

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

I think the suggestion that there is some sort of "loyalty bonus" he would miss out on if he triggers the move, compared to some sort of payout if Sunderland release him before the end of contract, seems a reasonable one to me. Hopefully it's not because we are refusing to pay his agent £22m to broker the deal!!

Makes sense as does Fat Cigar's comments.

It just goes to show how complicated it is to merely buy a player particularly one in contract in a higher league.  If his contract is worth around £3m in wages ( and I think that's realistic) then that's a hell of a chunk of money for Sunderland to have pay out for a player they have 'no interest' in/ dead wood/expensive flop. The only way his agent would let him walk away is if some compo deal was paid in order for him to drop existing salary and then come here.

• Admin
59 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Only goalkeepers (in the case of an emergency) can be recalled from season long loans. Under the old short term loan rules players could be recalled but only after the initial month was completed. I like the idea of a season loan for Matthews as it would suggest we can't match his Sunderland wage so they will be subsidising it.

3 minutes ago, BristolBEAT said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sunderland defender Adam Matthews is set to rejoin Bristol City on a season-long loan. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/safc?src=hash">#safc</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/bcfc?src=hash">#bcfc</a></p>&mdash; Pete O&#39;Rourke (@SportsPeteO) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsPeteO/status/758333871687606272">July 27, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

https://twitter.com/SportsPeteO/status/758333871687606272

3 minutes ago, BristolBEAT said:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sunderland defender Adam Matthews is set to rejoin Bristol City on a season-long loan. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/safc?src=hash">#safc</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/bcfc?src=hash">#bcfc</a></p>&mdash; Pete O&#39;Rourke (@SportsPeteO) <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsPeteO/status/758333871687606272">July 27, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Sound! 

4 hours ago, Fat Cigar said:

What's a little odd is that Moyes hasn't even bothered looking at him. Assume just taken the advice of the club's coaches and others and decided that was good enough for him.

I'm never keen on too many loans in a squad. A sign of instability and short-term planning. But, needs must. And our loanees were great for us last season. 

I imagine Sunderland want a new permanent right-back and then a back up before they'd consider selling Matthews. And yes, the wages issue. Do we think he's on more than Tomlin at Bournemouth? Either way, he's bound to be on more than anyone else (bar possibly Tomlin now) at the club and after the drawn out Tomlin saga, the club won't be going through that again. Plus, the thought process would be something along the lines of: Tomlin's worth the extra and then some. Not so a right-back. 

I would be surprised if Moyes hasn't see him play (just maybe not for Sunderland).  He played for Celtic and Moyes was often spotted watching them.  Moyes also spotted at AG too last season.  Plus, who knows how much Moyes and his scouting team viewed him when at Everton too. Might have been on their radar.  Moyes (I believe) was one of the proponents of using the Football Managee database too.

Moyes may have had his own opinion, e.g. Not good enough, then a quick chat with his new team and asked, anything to change my mind?

4 hours ago, Ian M said:

Only goalkeepers (in the case of an emergency) can be recalled from season long loans. Under the old short term loan rules players could be recalled but only after the initial month was completed. I like the idea of a season loan for Matthews as it would suggest we can't match his Sunderland wage so they will be subsidising it.

Except that they can be recalled in January as is the case with Wes Burns. 

I also like the idea of a season long loan so long as it's a season.

3 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Except you have even more holes to fill in the following summer. Now, if we could get him on a 3 year loan.........

5 minutes ago, Dynamite Red said:

I hope we sign him on loan with the option to make it permanent once Sunderland sign a suitable replacement, hopefully he will actually be our player by August or January.

Yeah, good shout....similar to what we did with O'Donnell.

• Admin
1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Wes isn't on a season long loan though, his was announced as a loan until January, probably with a possible Kodjia call up to the ACON in mind. Could be a shrewd move if Wes has 10-15 goals by then and we get an in form, match fit striker to cover for Jimmy.

1 hour ago, Drew Peacock said:

Except you have even more holes to fill in the following summer. Now, if we could get him on a 3 year loan.........

Sadly- one way or another there are even more holes to fill every summer. It seems that we have had years and years of they're either not good enough for us.....

or too good.

9 minutes ago, Ian M said:

Wes isn't on a season long loan though, his was announced as a loan until January, probably with a possible Kodjia call up to the ACON in mind. Could be a shrewd move if Wes has 10-15 goals by then and we get an in form, match fit striker to cover for Jimmy.

If so just further shows LJ & MA's calculated awareness & acumen to all aspects of today's modern, ever evolving game and how best to serve our club

Despite being the 'Cheap option' & 'The suit with Sound bites' with every day that passes my belief they will take us forward grows

1 hour ago, Ian M said:

Wes IS on a season long loan though- it's just that he can be recalled in Jan if needed.

Exactly the same as is being reported in Sunderland about Matthews- season long loan with an option to recall in Jan if needed.

Which was my whole point- great if it's a season long loan but not so great if he got recalled in Jan.

Archived