IGNORED

Adam Matthews - Signed (Season Long Loan)

Eastend

2 minutes ago, Major Isewater said:

Top , top work . Well done Ashton and company . :clap:

They've done some excellent business so far, and still a month of the window to go.

The Ashton / Charisma stuff is less heard these days.  He's certainly walked the walked.  Early days I know, but is Ashton one of the most important 'signings' we've made.  I no little of the previous non-football regimes we've had in the 'suit' positions, but what I read on here suggests they were not very good.

Ashton was at least a pro (GK at WBA albeit didn't make it) so maybe that helps.

I think the signings we've made sort of get us back to the team (and now squad) we had in the latter months of 15/16.  I'm not getting carried away, but I don't foresee a relegation battle.

Delighted with this but few questions on why this is a loan with no recall clause and not a permanent deal...

- Do we assume we have an option for a permanent move at an agreed price next summer if all goes well this season? I suppose this works both ways and if he has a stinker of a season we can just send him back...

- Are Sunderland paying any of this wages this season?

3 minutes ago, !james said:

Delighted with this but few questions on why this is a loan with no recall clause and not a permanent deal...

- Do we assume we have an option for a permanent move at an agreed price next summer if all goes well this season? I suppose this works both ways and if he has a stinker of a season we can just send him back...

- Are Sunderland paying any of this wages this season?

I think that might be the reason!

very happy with this news.

I was impressed with matthews last season, he was a much better right back than Little and even Ayling - although i still rate Ayling.

he frequently covered right across the pitch and knew his position well.

a bit worried with the hamstring thing, but i put that down to not playing enough games in that season before coming here.

good signing

11 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Finally, the last running saga of the summer is put to bed.

Here's hoping for a top season from Matthews.  Pretty sure, based on what we've currently got, we'll be right up in the top ten come the end of the season.

Not sure about that we haven't signed Matt Smith or sold Jimi or Flinty yet! :whistle:

21 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Indeed it is good news. I read on another forum that City are paying 60% of his wages.

Phew, for a moment there I thought a number was being randomly plucked from nowhere...but if it was on a forum I can only imagine it is indeed accurate...

17 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Good 'ol Mark Ashton producing the goods again. Good appointment from SL.

It's been a solid summer of recruitment. Ashton appears to be in tune with the market and has got us some good deals. Whilst securing the services of Tomlin and Matthews again may seem a little predictable, at the end of the day don't forget he brought both those players here in the first instance.

It's certainly been ten times better than last summer's debacle.

Excellent business by City to get the no recall clause, makes me think everything was in place for a permanent move but we couldn't afford his wages. Hopefully we can impress this season and it persuades him to stay around for longer.

So last time our newly appointed manager dragged us out of a relegation dogfight in half a season, followed by a seemingly very successful transfer window, we did the double...

Just saying.

EDIT: And before people question the possibility of us winning the FA/League Cup, we've already got the Johnson Cup, soooo...

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Oh come on RR, he wears a suit and everything.... he knows F*** all surely?

He's very charismatic and certainly impressed everyone when he spoke at Senior Reds last season. If he has the same effect on players and their agents then that's excellent news for us.......

I'm usually a pessimist when it comes to City, but to land the signings we have this year has been a breath of fresh air. With Matthew's our team is looking to be an improvement on the end of last season.

If we can now land Tammy Abraham on loan, I reckon we'll be in a good position to get started with the season.

4 minutes ago, Robbored said:

He's very charismatic and certainly impressed everyone when he spoke at Senior Reds last season. If he has the same effect on players and their agents then that's excellent news for us.......

No, I totally agree, people form opinions on the strangest things, I have met the kind of people they consider "suits" but to tar all people in those positions with the same brush is a huge mistake. Ashton has shown he can do his job here, twice now.

Archived