IGNORED

If Anyone Can, City Can - ticketing!

frenchred

30 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

The "majority" showed up at 3pm to buy a ticket for a match starting at 3pm? Are you seriously claiming that?

I think you insult people's intelligence. Most people who show up needing to buy a ticket will know they need to allow some time to buy it and then pass through the turnstile. I do not accept that the queue was caused by people showing up at 3pm.

It only needs a minority to cause a bottleneck. 

44 minutes ago, 29AR said:

You mean like a pre-booked ticket, which you can order before you turn up at the gate, and 'print out' and hand it in? Sorry, I know I'm being a sarcy nob in this response but the point is you're talking about pre-orders rather than turn up on the gate and hand over moneys for entrance. And we have a pre-order and print ticket option in place already. I'm not sure any new, Apple scan tech would've helped today or be worth the club's outlay.   

I don't think it's a solution that's going to fix a problem because it still relies upon pre-orders. And we have a pre-order system in place. 

Not quite...I buy a ticket...I get a QR code. 

Nothing gets printed (it costs)  

Same scenario could be applied for a match day ticket.

Buy via your phone>confirmation is a QR code sent to your phone as a text>scan it on turnstile>watch match>moan at beer queue>ad nauseum

It's not a pre order, it's a match day purchase. 

15 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

Not quite...I buy a ticket...I get a QR code. 

Nothing gets printed (it costs)  

Same scenario could be applied for a match day ticket.

Buy via your phone>confirmation is a QR code sent to your phone as a text>scan it on turnstile>watch match>moan at beer queue>ad nauseum

It's not a pre order, it's a match day purchase. 

Don't get me wrong I'm with you in that convenience is the way to go. However I think we're a bit premature from an up to minute live, numbers through the turnstile book at 2:55pm and flash your watch system. It must be the aim, sure, the reality - nah. Until we have enough potd attendees then they aren't worth the investment, and until we sell out its not worth the investment. If we aren't selling out, those who expect to walk to the door at 2:55 onwards aren't worth the investment. Yet. 

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Be that as it may, the claim was that the majority of the queue showed up at 3pm - I find that highly unlikely.

Oh I do too. But, even then, only very slightly slightly given its a friendly and most expecting a crowd of the amount that did turn out. If I was to go I imagine it would have been a 'how sore is my head from last night' mid day decision/ can I be arsed / group whatsapp lets do it vote. 

I think for a league game we'd get much more advance commitment such that this normally isn't a problem. A friendly though is so blasé that I think it quite reasonable to suspect a number in the ranges of 1,000s turned up on a whim whilst for a league game that may be so but we'd have more staff to deal with it. 

The jokers assuming people turned up bang on three to pay for a ticket are frankly talking rubbish. I turned up at 20 past 2 due to work commitments. Didn't get in till just before kick off. Now I was fully understanding until I got to the front only to be charged an extra pound for my troubles.

They don't do a bad job alienating fans.

5 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Don't get me wrong I'm with you in that convenience is the way to go. However I think we're a bit premature from an up to minute live, numbers through the turnstile book at 2:55pm and flash your watch system. It must be the aim, sure, the reality - nah. Until we have enough potd attendees then they aren't worth the investment, and until we sell out its not worth the investment. If we aren't selling out, those who expect to walk to the door at 2:30 onwards aren't worth the investment. Yet. 

If you only have 14000 season ticket holders, 1500 members, 2400 away fans in a 27000 capacity stadium, I would beg to differ.

You will not get POTD attendees if they're treated like shite. Using your logic(and by the look of things Bristol Sport's )  that's the way it will remain. 

In my view, they are now the most critical part of the supporter base. The floating fan needs to be attracted. Then you can attempt to get them to sign up to alternative approaches than POTD. 

4 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

The jokers assuming people turned up bang on three to pay for a ticket are frankly talking rubbish. I turned up at 20 past 2 due to work commitments. Didn't get in till just before kick off. Now I was fully understanding until I got to the front only to be charged an extra pound for my troubles.

Exactly Grim!

5 minutes ago, Moor2Sea said:

If you only have 14000 season ticket holders, 1500 members, 2400 away fans in a 27000 capacity stadium, I would beg to differ.

You will not get POTD attendees if they're treated like shite. Using your logic(and by the look of things Bristol Sport's )  that's the way it will remain. 

In my view, they are now the most critical part of the supporter base. The floating fan needs to be attracted. Then you can attempt to get them to sign up to alternative approaches than POTD. 

Fair challenge. My retort is the vast majority of potd actually do, and would, pre book. Those that work shifts or plau Saturdays for whom a season ticket just doesn't quite work. I would happily suggest very few turn up on the day and then turn up at 2:30 expecting seamless entry. Of that vast minority, not worth the significant investment; yet. One day maybe or if there is enough to suggest it's a deterrent. Until then, bigger fish to fry. 

11 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

See even with a season ticket in hand when I turn up at 2:30 - acknowledge you were before, but still, I appreciate I might get in a bit late and miss kick off - I accept that as a consequence of my own doing. I think it's a mentality difference. Especially for a friendly where you expect potd in front of you and less staff  

The booking fee is beyond excuse though and no doubt added to delays. 

1 hour ago, Bristol Rob said:

So you were charged a quid for buying a ticket, not booking one?

Shocking if that is the case. Bordering on the criminal. Fair enough if your booking fee goes towards the admin and fulfilment of the transaction, but to buy a ten quid ticket face to face and be charged a premium without prior warning?

@MKelly think you need to clarify.

Exactly that rob. Price was £10 charged £11 at the ticket office paying cash . The lad that sold me the ticket was about 16/17 ish waste of time questioning him plus it's not his fault but you have to question the club over this . 

2 hours ago, City Rocker said:

Imagine that. I'm fairly sure I turned up at the turnstile for the league game against European Champions Liverpool in 77, paid my 75p, and joined the 38,500 crowd in plenty of time for kick off. It was quite a crush in the east end mind. Oh, and we won 2-1! Or did I imagine that?

Almost. If I remember we played them the weekend before the final.

8 minutes ago, 29AR said:

See even with a season ticket in hand when I turn up at 2:30 - acknowledge you were before, but still, I appreciate I might get in a bit late and miss kick off - I accept that as a consequence of my own doing. I think it's a mentality difference. Especially for a friendly where you expect potd in front of you and less staff  

The booking fee is beyond excuse though and no doubt added to delays. 

To clarify, even if you have a ST and turn up at 14.30, you think it's acceptable for it to take over half an hour to get into the ground?

You've got more patience than me that's for sure

5 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

Woah...missed this in the thread..so those who POTD and paid in cash were charged a £1 booking fee...??

That's appalling from the club. 

What possible explanation is there for the fee?

Gobsmacked. 

I agree - it's truly shocking. You do have to wonder about the decision makers at our club if they think this is an acceptable way to treat the club's loyal supporters. It may only be a pound, but it's the principle.

6 minutes ago, BCFC Grim said:

To clarify, even if you have a ST and turn up at 14.30, you think it's acceptable for it to take over half an hour to get into the ground?

You've got more patience than me that's for sure

Yep sounds like I must. Going in to the Ateyo with as few turnstiles as I know it has - given away fans - and how many want a beer before. Maybe going in to another stand I may temper that expectation. That's not to say I often experience that sort of wait, but reasonale and acceptable it is, to me. 

4 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I agree - it's truly shocking. You do have to wonder about the decision makers at our club if they think this is an acceptable way to treat the club's loyal supporters. It may only be a pound, but it's the principle.

Better to be charging £9 +£1, even though that's totally unpalatable too and rather disgusting for turn up on the day. 

4 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Yep sounds like I must. Going in to the Ateyo with as few turnstiles as I know it has - given away fans - and how many want a beer before. Maybe going in to another stand I may temper that expectation. That's not to say I often experience that sort of wait, but reasonale and acceptable it is, to me. 

I think anyone showing up at the ground 30 minutes before kick off with a ticket in hand should reasonably expect to be able to reach their seat in time for kick off. If this doesn't happen, then it is a failure of stadium management by the club and not the fault of the individual.

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

What's the £1 for though? That's what I'm trying to work out and just don't see how that's justified. 

A small admin fee for a credit card is still taking the urine but what on earth are we thinking?

Pretty crap. 

6 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I think anyone showing up at the ground 30 minutes before kick off with a ticket in hand should reasonably expect to be able to reach their seat in time for kick off. If this doesn't happen, then it is a failure of stadium management by the club and not the fault of the individual.

But you must temper that with how many will sit in the pub and wait until 30 mins before. I appreciate the longer I leave it until 'show time' the more will also do the same. Now, if drinking at AG was a better option I would think differently. For sure. But I don't turn up to gigs at the Acedemy 30 minutes pre headliner after bowling out the hatchet and expect not to miss the first song. 

5 minutes ago, Charliesboots said:

@ChippenhamRed I see a question has been asked in Q&A, for what it's worth I'm going to bring it up when I'm down there this week in the open forum arranged. 

Put them on the spot and see what's the reasoning. 

Still at a loss to understand how turning up on the day justifies a booking fee...bonkers. 

I suspect my question will be ignored so I look forward to hearing how you get on.

14 minutes ago, RumRed said:

Eh?

Better for crowd/queue control to be charging a round sum but even still to be adding an amount for booking is taking the .... 

4 hours ago, spudski said:

Why don't people buy online? You can choose your seats and print off at home...very simple and takes 5 mins max. Walked straight in today no waiting.

Because not everybody has a printer at hand. Nor would it be fair to expect or rely on such a solution

20 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

My novel solution if the club want to make £11 per ticket is to advertise the tickets as £11 each.

Agreed; Rather than say a tenner and oh plus a booking fee as if it somehow, remarkably, makes us feel its a better deal. I'd say that is a patronising gimmick.

With the technology available It is remarkable and rather sad this discussion is even happening. That in itself illustrates the system, as currently set up, is a failure. What a pity with everything that has been spent and done only for the match day experience to be undermined by an entirely avoidable set of circumstances.

I suppose because the match day ticket is low compared to an airline ticket it would be too expensive for the club to purchase a bank of 'check in' kiosks that print tickets? 

Or enable the debit card from your bank, that have a wi fi signal on them, from being scannable on the electronic turnstile? These can be pre programmed for the requisite entry fee for every event and per turnstile; assuming they bought the correct system.

Both would drammatically speed flow.

16 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

I suspect my question will be ignored so I look forward to hearing how you get on.

I did ask CR and got some mumbled explanation about the company who are behind the software behind the ticketing and the barcode system - I took it to be that the club have to pay £1 to said company for each ticket sold - I may have been fed bull or understood it wrong but it was something to this effect !!!!

by my reckoning @ say 6000 non season ticket holders per game (away fans incl) somebody is going to make £138,000 this season on booking fees for league games alone !!!!

very nice !!

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I did ask CR and got some mumbled explanation about the company who are behind the software behind the ticketing and the barcode system - I took it to be that the club have to pay £1 to said company for each ticket sold - I may have been fed bull or understood it wrong but it was something to this effect !!!!

The club have to pay all sorts of companies for all sorts of services, paid for (in part) by ticket sales. There is no reason to separate one particular cost as a "booking fee".

We know the reason; it is cynical and deceptive marketing ploy which advertises a headline "ticket" price, but then adds a small but significant sum later in the process once people are all but committed to the purchase.

Archived