IGNORED

Unpopular opinions

Thatwasclose

1 hour ago, Silvio Dante said:

Going back a few years.

The worst thing about the appointment of Pulis was not the football per se (although that was awful), but the fact that him coming in meant Lennartson went. Benny was a top coach and was developing young players who played the right way - kind of what our strategy is now. 

In short, appointing Pulis set us back 10 years - just not for the popular reason

Ha, ha.  Take a bow.  You are taking this thread to unchartered territory.

1. Matt Smith isn't good enough for us, although he was quite good when he was with us on loan.

2. I don't give a hoot about Willem II and don't see why anyone else should, unless they're their local team.

3. I don't rate Bobby Reid. I also don't like Marlon Pack that much, but he's getting a bit better.

4. I don't see why the Atyeo wasn't given to the away team in its entirety.

5. Butter has no place on a bacon sandwich, nor does tomato ketchup.

6. I don't understand it when supposedly intelligent people constantly shout and swear at the referee. It's not big or clever and it's disrespectful to others near them.

I feel better to get that off my chest.

8 minutes ago, Ringopiece said:

1. Matt Smith isn't good enough for us, although he was quite good when he was with us on loan.

2. I don't give a hoot about Willem II and don't see why anyone else should, unless they're their local team.

3. I don't rate Bobby Reid. I also don't like Marlon Pack that much, but he's getting a bit better.

4. I don't see why the Atyeo wasn't given to the away team in its entirety.

5. Butter has no place on a bacon sandwich, nor does tomato ketchup.

6. I don't understand it when supposedly intelligent people constantly shout and swear at the referee. It's not big or clever and it's disrespectful to others near them.

I feel better to get that off my chest.

For a first post that's truly inspirational.

Off to make a bacon sarnie right now.

Butter, no ketchup.

3 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

For a first post that's truly inspirational.

Off to make a bacon sarnie right now.

Butter, no ketchup.

Thanks, bacon can be truly inspirational, I can't take any credit.

Try using Jack Daniels honey Source. Suit you...

1 hour ago, awbb said:

Though I respect and am grateful that the "Ashton Gate 8" resigned their contracts, I don't actually regard that action as worthy of adulation.

I would go a bit further than that.  They were bleeding the club dry whilst dragging us down the leagues.  Its not their fault that they were on long overpaid contracts, but it was telling that most of them struggled to find a club of any great standing after they left.  That is why the accountants forced them to leave.  If a similar situation had happened in the days of football forums and social media (ie the last 10-20) years they would have been given almighty grief for their bloated contracts and sub-standard performances.  I blame the media who drip fed us a sob story for the fact that they were seen as "heroes"

The fact that they are sung about as "8 men had a dream" is laughable.  I'm sure anyone who sings that never saw Julian Marshall play!

Having said that they all seem great blokes who were victims of circumstance. The 6 who played for us in the 1st Division are legends for what they achieved in the 70s, but by 1982 they were all washed up.

49 minutes ago, New Dazzler said:

I would go a bit further than that.  They were bleeding the club dry whilst dragging us down the leagues.  Its not their fault that they were on long overpaid contracts, but it was telling that most of them struggled to find a club of any great standing after they left.  That is why the accountants forced them to leave.  If a similar situation had happened in the days of football forums and social media (ie the last 10-20) years they would have been given almighty grief for their bloated contracts and sub-standard performances.  I blame the media who drip fed us a sob story for the fact that they were seen as "heroes"

The fact that they are sung about as "8 men had a dream" is laughable.  I'm sure anyone who sings that never saw Julian Marshall play!

Having said that they all seem great blokes who were victims of circumstance. The 6 who played for us in the 1st Division are legends for what they achieved in the 70s, but by 1982 they were all washed up.

...is kind of the view I keep quiet about.

I think your words 'victims of circumstance' hits the nail on the head. We did not have to offer them long contracts (although at the time it seemed to make sense), so no fault on them in accepting them. Equally, by and large they were a group of players that got us relegated three times in a row. To suggest they ripped up their contracts to save the club is technically true, but a bit of a Hobson's choice for them - Option B was to not rip them up, the club went bust, and they would not get paid anyway.

The 'myth' has become bigger than the reality, but it often does I suppose. I am not sure any of them saw themselves as heroes, as much as shafted by circumstance, which being entirely blunt, their performances had helped bring about.

The real hero for me at that time was Terry Cooper, in my mind.

1 hour ago, RedDave said:

95% of these opinions aren't unpopular

My unpopular opinion is that the 95% of these opinions that you think aren't unpopular, in fact are. :)

Archived