IGNORED

Result not everything, best performance yet

Olé

A few people thought I was missing all the fun on Saturday by criticising the tactics and not simply latching onto the result so let me double up on that by saying I got far more from today's performance that gave me confidence we're going to have a really solid season. I realise we lost.

For the first 70 minutes we outplayed them for long periods and were more than equal to a team who I'm sure will be up the top. Norwich have a Premiership touch about their interplay in the final third but we were the better side for the first 15 minutes of both halves and really had a go at them.

This was far far better than Burton, against an ex-Prem team not a L1 one. I've not yet been sure we would stand our ground with this team given how much we were second best against Wycombe and Burton but  today was about as tough an away game as we will have and I saw a team that gave it everything and tried to get in front early.

Tactics still very compact with few crosses which for me still limits the number of chances that we create and puts pressure on clinical passing through the middle, but Kodjia was absolutely outstanding running the channels and wings as we looked to build, then take on their players at pace. At times Norwich really couldn't deal with it.

They were far sharper around the box but barely deserved to be in front, though was merited in the end over 90 as we faded last 20 and they started picking us apart and could have had more. But for an hour we took the game to one of the best in the division and that means as much to me at least as three points against Burton. Much happier to see signs we can compete this year, and I really think we will.

The good - Kodjia outstanding particularly with Tammy marked out of it in the middle. Pack - we are so much better with him in there, he works so hard. O'Neil - solid and calm in everything he does. Bryan - sharp at both ends. Magnusson - competes and looks more and more comfortable on the ball when he gets it.

The bad - Little, although given very little  cover, was way out of his depth at this level again and I'm starting to wonder if we really have enough at RB as Matthews didn't look sharp when he came on. Count me as someone who thinks Ayling offers more in this type of company. 

Honourable mention to Tomlin who I still think is a luxury when we have two up top, but at least in little bursts was racing about trying to find touches to pull opponents out of position, more so than he has done yet this season. Again I'd rather see tactics that were less reliant on doing a Spain through the middle and gave the strikers more to work with, but at least today it let us build and keep the ball looking for a killer opportunity where getting it in the box early would probably have seen them come back at us far more and score far more too, as Norwich is definitely a team with goals in them.

Two final mentions - 1. ref and linesman in front of us would not have given anything to City if we played another two hours. I'm more and more inclined to believe there is such a thing as parachute officials. 2. The home side were very good and hit the post twice, but I did also notice a bit of niggle to them where they got away with shirt pulls time and time again. Call it streetwise but I think they'll be up there comfortably and a shame to be so cynical about letting others play.

O'Donnell 7 - One worldy but it was offside. Assured in handling

Little 4 - Not always his fault as exposed by lack of cover and few nice touches on the ball pushing out of defence, but we can't rely on an attacking full back that can't defend in an already attacking 433

Bryan 8 - Comparison with opposite side was telling. Did well going forward and was in quickly to stop opponents.

Flint 6 - Solid enough but didn't win a lot at the other end and flick ons 

Magnusson 7 - Competed and was the only one able to play it out of defence where a lot of others would go back to the keeper.

O'Neil 8 - Calmness was vital or we could have got thrashed. Solid throughout.

Pack 7 - Few miscontrols lost the ball by the touchline but his energy with and without the ball was much better than our midfield at Burton.

Tomlin 6 - Still not convinced by his ability to affect the game in this position but for periods affected things much more than he has this season and was definitely up for it.

O'Dowda 6 - Few nice bits of interplay but was loose in the first half and struggled to get in the game. Grew in confidence as we did and still looks like a first 11 player.

Kodjia 9 - Instagram or not he was at times the best player on the pitch with the ball at his feet and defenders back tracking. Far less selfish than previous games, couple of sensational bits of interplay (one late on with Bobby Reid) and always looking to create room. Anyone who thinks we can replace this guy for sensible money needs to give me the number of their weed dealer.

Abraham 5 - Unfair as he was the target man and they clearly singled him out but this showed why we should reign in the Tammy hysteria and remember what Kodj offers against higher class opposition.

Subs: Matthews 5 - No better than Little. Reid 6 - Some nice purpose and touches around the box. Freeman 5 - Some nice ball control but too easily out muscled.

*Instagram tantrum watch* - Kodjia rushed off the pitch when all the rest of the team and manager went over to the away end. I think this story has legs folks.

I really didn't think Little was only worth 4. He made a few errors, but generally stood strong and made some vital challenges. Tomlin is the one who worries me - he just seems anonymous most of the time. If we are to get anything from teams like Norwich, we need to move the ball quicker when we win posession and get men upfield to support Abraham.

The data used by the football league for stats gave little a better performance than either of the Norwich full backs in the first half, and similar performance to Bryan (6.9 and 7.1), but our fans that have been on his back since league 1 say he was crap. I know which one I'll believe.

3 minutes ago, City169 said:

The data used by the football league for stats gave little a better performance than either of the Norwich full backs in the first half, and similar performance to Bryan (6.9 and 7.1), but our fans that have been on his back since league 1 say he was crap. I know which one I'll believe.

I've never been on Little's back and actually felt he galvanised the team during the promotion season on days when other players were AWOL. I've no problem with the guy and think he can be decent as a wing back even at this level as he pushes forward with a lot of purpose and pace.

But we're asking him to occupy a position that is mostly defensive in a narrow setup where he is more or less solely responsible for curtailing properly wide players on the opposition side. He gave the ball away a number of times and was overrun (admittedly Flint gave him at least one heavy pass). Not sure what to read into these stats you mention, probably inflated as he did make two interceptions where he was able to run on with the ball too, but neither was meaningful and there wasn't much chance to feel Little had the better of the opponents around him. 

Can't speak for the stats but lots of automated stats that are based on the sort of robotic text commentary that the BBC site produces which can't tell the difference between anything other than a long shot, a long pass, a short shot and a short pass (and whatever other generic event that is worthy of mention). LJ wants his players to affect the game in all phases and no computer is going to pick up on how they're doing that. Just saying, like..

19 minutes ago, City169 said:

Assume you mean you believe the stats over fans who actually watch the game.  If true then that is bizarre.

7 minutes ago, cidered abroad said:

Good report Ole and thanks.

I'm not trying to be clever or sarcastic, but does the 3-1 win for Burton against Wednesday, give you any cause to reconsider your comments about City against Burton? It could be that we ground out a result against a better side than we all thought Burton would be? 

Saw that Burton score and was impressed/surprised. Didn't feel Burton were that quality of side against us, just that we played in a manner that gave them most of the ball. So it doesn't change how I felt about Saturday and the tactics. Point of fact, we had far more sustained possession today in the first hour against a top side like Norwich than we did in the same period at Burton. At Burton our tactics gave them a tonne of the ball and most of the chance to attack and they still couldn't beat us. Can only assume they've played far far better against Sheff Wed.

Very early to say, but I am inclined to think that how Norwich play is a blueprint for what LJ wants (they pass and move quickly when they get around the box) and that, similar to our current setup, requires committing a fair number of players forward. In a way that probably allowed us to play our game today when we had the ball, as much as Norwich played theirs (i.e. two teams prepared to leave room). Difference with Burton is they were prepared to defend and break, found us lacking width, won the midfield and dominated the game, but didn't turn that into anything.

Seen all 4 games and that was clearly the best we'd played in any of them. All in all a thourghly enjoyable game of good quality with two decent sides. Was impressed with our shape with Kojida & Odowda both tracking back well, was noticeable that the only time they didn't, because Kodjia& Tammy had swapped positions, we conceded. They had the better chances but we pressed well especially in the first 15 mins of each half. Don't think Littke was too bad at all and good to see the support they all got and the way it was reciprocated. On to the next

32 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Assume you mean you believe the stats over fans who actually watch the game.  If true then that is bizarre.

Player rating formed from performance data. Not really that bizarre when it's the same as what clubs use.

Its good enough for the football league and clubs, but not good enough for you? That's bizarre.

40 minutes ago, Olé said:

I've never been on Little's back and actually felt he galvanised the team during the promotion season on days when other players were AWOL. I've no problem with the guy and think he can be decent as a wing back even at this level as he pushes forward with a lot of purpose and pace.

But we're asking him to occupy a position that is mostly defensive in a narrow setup where he is more or less solely responsible for curtailing properly wide players on the opposition side. He gave the ball away a number of times and was overrun (admittedly Flint gave him at least one heavy pass). Not sure what to read into these stats you mention, probably inflated as he did make two interceptions where he was able to run on with the ball too, but neither was meaningful and there wasn't much chance to feel Little had the better of the opponents around him. 

Can't speak for the stats but lots of automated stats that are based on the sort of robotic text commentary that the BBC site produces which can't tell the difference between anything other than a long shot, a long pass, a short shot and a short pass (and whatever other generic event that is worthy of mention). LJ wants his players to affect the game in all phases and no computer is going to pick up on how they're doing that. Just saying, like..

The ratings I looked it is from the info that the football league collects, so if it's good enough for them- and then clubs to use- then I'd say it's fairly reliable. Just saying, like.

I presume you didn't look at your post after the Burton game. Extremely harsh on Little, who wasn't great, but far from the liability that was made out. In that game he was offered absolutely no protection by O'Dowda and had a very good winger in Lloyd Dyer going at him, and coped pretty well, but was ripped to shreds on here. 

1 hour ago, Bouncearoundtheground said:

Not harsh on Little, heard a few Norwich fans saying he's one of the worst players they've seen. 

He is a liability at this level and generally a bad footballer. 

'Generally a bad footballer'... Don't think he would've made it this far if he was. 

Agree with most of what Ole said, especially about the ref and lino. The Lino couldn't seem to make a decision and how that Norwich player didn't get booked after clattering Joey I'll never know...

I felt a bit for Little tonight to be fair. Yes he was off the pace, but he did try things and did try and take the game to the Norwich winger. He wasn't helped that he had Kodjia in front of him and some of the passes to him by flint and Tomlin were hospital balls and that's putting it politely.

I thought Tomlin was woeful tonight. He couldn't get into the game and I'll be honest, I would've taken him off for Reid instead of Pack. 

Bryan and Magnus were superb. I also thought Pack was brilliant tonight and was everywhere. 

All in all a good performance against a team that will be there or thereabouts at the end. If that's the benchmark we are looking at, the progress we have made since a year ago is going well. 

Loved the spinny BIG screen too - what is that all about?!? Can Steve get us one too? What a waste of money... 

11 minutes ago, Lordofthebling said:

Loved the spinny BIG screen too - what is that all about?!? Can Steve get us one too? What a waste of money... 

Watching Norwich fans in the end nearest us, transfixed as it turned round towards them and apparently ready to all respond to the instructions on screen, was literally the most embarrassing thing I've seen at a football ground since a drunk Delia Smith said "message to the best fosball shporters in the world" before slurring her way through a bunch of drunken "Lets be having you" cries. Coincidence that all these comical props are needed at Carrow Road?

Bit unfair of me really, think the Norwich fans were very decent, stewards were good, and it's a decent enough place to go and watch a football match. 

7 hours ago, City169 said:

Player rating formed from performance data. Not really that bizarre when it's the same as what clubs use.

Its good enough for the football league and clubs, but not good enough for you? That's bizarre.

Clubs use it as a guide, not as a means to form an entire opinion on a player.  

8 hours ago, Shtanley said:

Kodjia has done something similar many times. 

..and upon leaving stood and chatted/signed autographs as the team got on coach. No sign of a sulk for me, ran himself into the ground last night. 

20 minutes ago, Tomarse said:

..and upon leaving stood and chatted/signed autographs as the team got on coach. No sign of a sulk for me, ran himself into the ground last night. 

That's good news.

Whatever his social media antics are about, in a strictly footballing sense he'd be difficult to replace, and it says a fair bit that the Radio Norwich commentator said the game side lacked the movement and purpose of our forward line.

I really feel if we brought in another strong forward to compliment and combine with Jimmy and Tammy, we will be a real threat to opposing defences, no matter their pedigree.

Good to hear we played so well...I had it 5 live in the background whilst working. We sounded a lot better.

I also have my concerns over our RB situation.

The few times I've seen Matthews play this season, he's looked half the man he was last season. Almost disinterested...going through the motions it seemed. Hopefully it's just his body language....but it has been noticeable. Way too laidback...match fitness for 20 min starts hmmmmmmmmm?

As for Little...he reminds me of Marv...100% commitment...but he's not a 'footballer' imo. Big lump of a bloke that's an athlete, with the touch of a Rhino. Always jumping in, ball flying off at all angles. He's a human pin ball machine. Committed and will give 100%...but at this level?...I hope he proves me wrong.

So far RB is our weak link imo.

Haven't been impressed by Tomlin either....if you are going to be the 'big signing' and 'luxury' player....and know you are having a team fitted around you, then so far, I'd be expecting more. Lots more in that lads capabilities...Lets not have a JET situation where you only turn up when you feel like it.

Looking forward to having Korey back tbh.

Archived