IGNORED

Taylor Moore

Hazelboy

This signing does sound fantastic.  However, I thought I read earlier in the thread that he'd only played about 8 times for Lens.

In that case, why is he so highly considered and how on earth did he get to captain England?

I remember an eminent professor said on a tv prog about 25 years ago that he asks one question to establish whether someone is intelligent or not. That question is:  I will give you ten quid now or if you wait a year I will give you twenty quid. Apparently, intelligent people wait a year.

I reckon this is tosh. It might well be that the ten pounds is of greater use to one right now than twenty quid in a year from now. Also, the professor might die after say four months and it would be doubtful his widow or children would then give one twenty quid for turning up 8 months later saying that the late prof had promised it. Of course, the potential recipient might perish by being electrocuted in the bath listening to the City when the radio falls in, when had he or she had the extra tenner they would have gone to the ground instead. There are all sorts of permutations. Indeed, to my mind the only thing that question proved to me was how thick the professor who asked it was!

26 minutes ago, Hellfire Corner said:

Enjoying this thread. Regarding "intelligence" in footballers, there is an interesting study done by Howard Gardener about 30 years ago about the 9 types of intelligence. Many people just think of intelligence as linguistic, logic/ mathmatical skill. Education today is sadly going down an ever narrowing route of so called intelligence, and those that don't succeed in Maths and Language are often dismissed as unintelligent.

Intelligence is also-

The ability for a football player to instinctively know where his teammates are and pick out a 40 yard inch perfect pass

The ability for a striker to be able to time his run to perfection to meet a through ball and stay onside

-- Some footballers may not be able to express themselves linguistically, but they are intelligent in other ways.

Couldn't agree more, intelligence takes many forms but we associate it mainly with academic qualifications. By way of example, I have a mate who is a car mechanic. Because I have a degree he thinks I'm more intelligent than him. But there is no way I could do his job, and I wish I had his skills, which require a kind of intelligence I don't have. Professional footballers also have a kind of intelligence I don't.

Whether it's cosmology, plumbing or football, it's all intelligence to me. It only stops being intelligence if you think you have nothing left to learn.

Had to put this up...this tune came on the radio in the car earlier. Driving along...the chorus...I'm sure he was singing 'Taylor Moore....let the rhythm take you over...Taylor Moore'. pmsl....apparently not haha.

Funny how you hear different words in lyrics. Perhaps the Chorus could be adapted for our new signing and sung on the 'terraces' ;-)

Made me giggle anyway...and 'Taylor Moore' will be sung along to this in future in my head if ever heard again ;-)

Starts at 49 seconds...

51 minutes ago, Hellfire Corner said:

Enjoying this thread. Regarding "intelligence" in footballers, there is an interesting study done by Howard Gardener about 30 years ago about the 9 types of intelligence. Many people just think of intelligence as linguistic, logic/ mathmatical skill. Education today is sadly going down an ever narrowing route of so called intelligence, and those that don't succeed in Maths and Language are often dismissed as unintelligent.

Intelligence is also-

The ability for a football player to instinctively know where his teammates are and pick out a 40 yard inch perfect pass

The ability for a striker to be able to time his run to perfection to meet a through ball and stay onside

-- Some footballers may not be able to express themselves linguistically, but they are intelligent in other ways.

Agree - some very interesting, and dare I say 'intelligent' perspectives....

Without being pedantic, I would argue that the ability for a football player to know where his teammates are, play 40 yard pass or time his run to perfection are attributes of talent, ability and instinct, and can't be taught. For example, a joiner has incredible skill and talent to craft wood, an IT technician has natural flair to solve computing issues, but those practical skills don't translate to intelligence. Much in the same way that you can have all the brains in the world, but you can't teach a footballer to have the natural skill that Messi, or Tomlin, has.;)

I think ability has to be separated from intelligence, and intelligence manifests itself in the recognition and willingness to learn and develop. In terms of footballing 'intelligence', whereas you can't teach a player to have the skill of a messi, look at a player like makelele, awesome intelligence made up for a lack of natural flair.

I think players do need to be able to understand the analysis of the game, and absurd that information and then use that information to better their p[performances as individuals and as a team.

That's just the way I see it, loving the different perspectives, very interesting....

1 hour ago, Bullbag said:

I think 3-5-2 is an option now (not necessarily a formation to start a match).

Moore on the right, Flint in the centre and Maggers on the left.

Especially with Moore and Maggers being versatile with both being able to play both centre back and right/left back respectively.

This is an impressive team...........

O'Donnell

Moore            Flint            Magnusson  

O'Dowda                                                                   Bryan

O'Neil                    Smith

Tomlin

Abraham                     Kodjia   

4 hours ago, redordead1 said:

Agree. This intelligence appears to be a key cornerstone of LJ's recruitment policy. Often over-looked by fans, as we don't really get much insight into how tactically savvy or understanding, flexible of systems our players are. However, its rumoured to be partly down to why Ayling left, and others may be moving on too. 

Can't say I disagree with this policy, if you really want progress then you need clever players who can adapt and learn. Always interesting to see how highly Guardiola regards smart players and how much he credits the likes of Lahm for his success.

What is the difference between a Premiership footballer and one from League Two?

The top two inches (50mm)!

PS. There are notable exceptions to any rule before anyone nominates Wayne Rooney as Brain of Britain.

46 minutes ago, spudski said:

Had to put this up...this tune came on the radio in the car earlier. Driving along...the chorus...I'm sure he was singing 'Taylor Moore....let the rhythm take you over...Taylor Moore'. pmsl....apparently not haha.

Funny how you hear different words in lyrics. Perhaps the Chorus could be adapted for our new signing and sung on the 'terraces' ;-)

Made me giggle anyway...and 'Taylor Moore' will be sung along to this in future in my head if ever heard again ;-)

Starts at 49 seconds...

I bet you weren't listening to 6music…

1 hour ago, handsofclay1909 said:

I remember an eminent professor said on a tv prog about 25 years ago that he asks one question to establish whether someone is intelligent or not. That question is:  I will give you ten quid now or if you wait a year I will give you twenty quid. Apparently, intelligent people wait a year.

I reckon this is tosh. It might well be that the ten pounds is of greater use to one right now than twenty quid in a year from now. Also, the professor might die after say four months and it would be doubtful his widow or children would then give one twenty quid for turning up 8 months later saying that the late prof had promised it. Of course, the potential recipient might perish by being electrocuted in the bath listening to the City when the radio falls in, when had he or she had the extra tenner they would have gone to the ground instead. There are all sorts of permutations. Indeed, to my mind the only thing that question proved to me was how thick the professor who asked it was!

Not heard of an adult test for DG, only the famous "Marshmallow Test" for 4 and 5 year olds. A good predictor for future success. I think Gazza would've gone for the marshmallow now, rather than two a bit later. When he was 4 or 5, or 25. Poor bloke.

All of modern life now, and Capitalism itself, seems to thrive on plundering our weakness in delaying gratification. That said, I can't wait to see this lad/til Saturday....

Quick, everyone get on FIFA and see how good he is.

Everything sounds good so far. Just need Tammy to sign full time too (wishful thinking) and we have a squad full of young & exciting players with a little bit of experience...... something I raised with Mr lansdown at a q&a in wolves a few years ago. It's good having young players, but you need experience too.

3 hours ago, Chivs said:

This signing does sound fantastic.  However, I thought I read earlier in the thread that he'd only played about 8 times for Lens.

In that case, why is he so highly considered and how on earth did he get to captain England?

It's true but he captained the same team that Tammy Abraham plays in. Tammy has about 6 senior games under his belt and half them from the bench. Senior football at their age isn't how they're being judged. Clearly rated by Lens and England youth set up. Lyon apparently wanted him and were willing to pay €10m just last year. Something come up at Lens and it opened up a move for us for a player we wouldn't have been able to sign in January as his price was higher. 

8 hours ago, Antman said:

i'm all for a few players with intelligence on the pitch - TBH Joe Bryan is another who has been through a decent school and comes from an 'upper middle class' home.

Sadly not. I believe Joe was "educated" at QEH so one can very much dispel this myth regarding his schooling. 

4 hours ago, Chivs said:

His interview on player was very impressive for such a young man. Came across as very articulate and excited but also very focused on what he needs to do next in his career. As for the England captain side of things, for him to say at 19 in his first interview at a new club with no air of arrogance that in his words "I'm a leader " spoke volumes . 

4 hours ago, Bullbag said:

I like the look of that!

Can't wait to see Korey and GON in the middle together.

Those two up front will cause problems for defences.

I think we could sit in and use the counter attack well with that line up.

When all are fit and available someone is going to get a hammering.. hope I'm there!

44 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Sadly not. I believe Joe was "educated" at QEH so one can very much dispel this myth regarding his schooling. 

What's your problem with QEH - I can only assume you either went to BGS or have no idea what you are talking about. 

There are a few Old Elizabethans on this forum and a couple of current ones too I think......

3 minutes ago, simon uk said:

Anyone concerned that with moore, hordur and bryan that our defence is far too pretty to match up against the like of akinfenwa or some other beast striker?? At least flint evens it out a bit!!

Gotta be part of the Bristol Sport brand strategy; get the team full of attractive young players to pull in all the girls. 

4 hours ago, RedRaw said:

This is an impressive team...........

O'Donnell

Moore            Flint            Magnusson  

O'Dowda                                                                   Bryan

O'Neil                    Smith

Tomlin

Abraham                     Kodjia   

Only problem with this is O'Dowda. He is a winger/attacking midfielder. Let's not ruin a promising career but trying to make him into a wing back.

We need a decent right wingback before we play 352 please let's not try putting square pegs in round holes!

1 hour ago, CyderInACan said:

eh? i hope you're being ironic or something. QEH is one of the better schools in Bristol, posh kids all.

there's plenty of other local gladiator academies he could have gone to!!

Archived