IGNORED

Taylor Moore

Hazelboy

4 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Could be interesting, could be nothing...

Interesting, has he favourited many similar things to that re: players moving? I think we were/are interested in him and perhaps the shoulder injury scuppered us a bit. It's clearly the quality and potential of player we are in the market for.

3 minutes ago, Robbored said:

Just watched his interview on Player.

First impression - what a nice guy, articulate and obviously clever. Should get along well with Joe Bryan.......

I just hope he's ruthless on the pitch tho.....

Not all nice guys get on, old chap. Look at you and some of the nice guys on here

1 hour ago, Phileas Fogg said:

His player interview is worth a watch. Very articulate and clearly very intelligent. I've noticed this in particularly the young first team players LJ has bought in this summer, they all seem intelligent; particularly Magnusson, O'Dowda and now Moore. Add Bryan to that list and we've got a very intelligent core of players.

Agree. This intelligence appears to be a key cornerstone of LJ's recruitment policy. Often over-looked by fans, as we don't really get much insight into how tactically savvy or understanding, flexible of systems our players are. However, its rumoured to be partly down to why Ayling left, and others may be moving on too. 

Can't say I disagree with this policy, if you really want progress then you need clever players who can adapt and learn. Always interesting to see how highly Guardiola regards smart players and how much he credits the likes of Lahm for his success.

1 minute ago, redordead1 said:

Agree. This intelligence appears to be a key cornerstone of LJ's recruitment policy. Often over-looked by fans, as we don't really get much insight into how tactically savvy or understanding, flexible of systems our players are. However, its rumoured to be partly down to why Ayling left, and others may be moving on too. 

Can't say I disagree with this policy, if you really want progress then you need clever players who can adapt and learn. Always interesting to see how highly Guardiola regards smart players and how much he credits the likes of Lahm for his success.

Exactly. It's essential and will continue to become more prevalent as football develops. Coincidently, who's a managerial idol of LJ's? Pep.

Bloody ells bells, this sounds like a very intelligent, excellent signing, surely other clubs must have been in the hunt for Moore?

Very pleased to know we are still in the market to improve our squad and at the same time develop City for the long-term future.

Top class work from the club.

32 minutes ago, View from the Dolman said:

Could be. But he doesn't actually follow Taylor Moore on Twitter... :\

He's also liked some Tammy Abraham stuff , both from Abraham and the club , but he doesn't follow either , so not sure what the point you're trying to make is?

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Don't mix 'Posh' up with plain and simply 'Educated', and able to speak our language properly fella ;-) Sounds perfectly normal to me, how we as English people should speak imo. Our language is becoming too Americanised for my liking ;-)

Quality signing imo.

We are establishing a squad that is versatile in various positions...which can only be a good thing.

As for playing 352...I think we have to look way beyond seeing how we played before, especially under SC.

As Rafa said before the Newcastle game, Bristol City will be a hard game, because we are able to adapt and change formation frequently.

I love this about LJ and the squad we are putting together.

You have to be intelligent to understand the different variants in formations, and able to adapt instantly during a game.

It's such an advantage to have...although normal in many countries abroad. Just shows how backward we have been for years.

It makes so much harder for opposition teams to set up against us.

Where as in the past, like with SC...Championship clubs knew we played 352 and very rarely moved from it. Even managers mentioned this in interviews.

Now we have a massive advantage.

The momentum keeps going forward...exciting times ahead.

Another thing I love about LJ is his sense of humour:

LJ tweets: "Flinty says he doesn't usually score before Christmas. I'm getting a tree, a present and some turkey now."

2 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Another thing I love about LJ is his sense of humour:

LJ tweets: "Flinty says he doesn't usually score before Christmas. I'm getting a tree, a present and some turkey now."

If I were LJ I'd be having a word with Flints Girlfriend as well...not good for a man, bottling that much up before Xmas...If I were a turkey, I'd be scared ;-)

How old was Steven Caulker when he signed for us? He didn`t turn out too shabby.

One thing I do like about our squad is that they all seem nice, well grounded lads who just want to play football. I can`t see any of ours getting pictured in the S*n snorting cocaine off a tart`s chest like many players we could mention.

Anyhow, welcome Taylor and well done to all concerned for all our transfer business this summer. I can`t think of too many clubs of our size that have done better.

2 hours ago, Renaissance Dolman said:

I don't know if it's intelligence that's the problem - not talking about LT, I've got no idea about his IQ - but generally speaking with footballers. Academic intelligence has naff all to do with ability in any field outside academia, especially the football field - think Gazza, Rooney. And the ones who foul up their lives and waste their talent, that's down to lack of common sense not GCSEs - and the obscene amounts of money they get chucked at them - and the vacuous bling culture they find themselves living in. Plenty of "bright" people foul up badly. 

Totally disagree with this. (Unless you mean academia in terms of Latin or Neurophysics).....

To progress as a footballer, tactics and the 'academic' study of those tactics, and the analysis of the performance of those tactics, and the understanding of all of that information is key. Maverick players outside of that can progress of course, but to build a good team, you need the majority of players being able to understand the in depth academic study of football. Now, one doesn't need a Mensa rated IQ to do this, but certain levels of intelligence are needed. I think footballers are actually pre-judged rather unfairly, and across the board are more intelligent than they are given credit for. 

But there is no way on earth that academic intelligence has naff all to do with ability on the football field

For example...

Eddie Howe produces dossiers for each game. Now this came as very much second-hand information to me, but apparently one of his frustrations with LT was that he failed to comprehend some of the contents of those documents, and also showed little appetite to learn. Now - let me put on record that I love LT to bits, and Bournemouth's loss is our gain IMO, but that report frankly doesn't shock me....I'd put LT in the above mentioned maverick category for us.

14 minutes ago, reformed_red said:

Eddie Howe produces dossiers for each game. Now this came as very much second-hand information to me, but apparently one of his frustrations with LT was that he failed to comprehend some of the contents of those documents, and also showed little appetite to learn. Now - let me put on record that I love LT to bits, and Bournemouth's loss is our gain IMO, but that report frankly doesn't shock me....I'd put LT in the above mentioned maverick category for us.

If anyone saw the YouTube of La Manga with Tomlin and Wilbrahams talking about their team mates and they mentioned one player being particularly thick and Tomlin said "I though I was one of them"  hinting that even he is brighter than said player.

He's obviously got some level of insight.

As for Eddie Howe and his dossiers. He surely must have other players who aren't blessed with the smartest minds who don't grasp things either.

5 minutes ago, Robbored said:

If anyone saw the YouTube of La Manga with Tomlin and Wilbrahams talking about their team mates and they mentioned one player being particularly thick and Tomlin said "I though I was one of them"  hinting that even he is brighter than said player.

He's obviously got some level of insight.

As for Eddie Howe and his dossiers. He surely must have other players who aren't blessed with the smartest minds who don't grasp things either.

Of course Tomlin has levels of insight, and I think he's an intelligent player in the sense that he is someone who rads the game naturally - I never said that Tomlin was 'thick' or our least intelligent player. I used the example from Bournemouth simply because it is relevant to a player playing for us (which I did mention was very much second hand information and may be off the mark anyway). 

I disagree with players not having sharp minds though - in the sense that if players don't grasp things they get replaced / moved on / left out. I don't think that applies to just Eddie Howe, I think that applies to most clubs, especially the higher up you go. Football at a professional level is an extremely complex and competitive industry; we'd be naive to think that ball work shooting practice and a tactics whiteboard is all there is to it. 

Take LJ, for example. The majority of the signings we are making are demonstrative of clearly clever players. The players we are moving on, perhaps do not fit into that bracket? To improve, and this applies to any club, the players brought in must be fitter, quicker, stronger, better footballers, and also more intelligent. I think it's an all round package deal. The point I was making was not that intelligence (whatever that is) is the most important ingredient, but to say it has "naff-all" to do with it is way way off the mark.

8 minutes ago, Bullbag said:

I think 3-5-2 is an option now (not necessarily a formation to start a match).

Moore on the right, Flint in the centre and Maggers on the left.

Especially with Moore and Maggers being versatile with both being able to play both centre back and right/left back respectively.

Definitely an option for sure.

We all know that Bryan is a very decent left wing back, and if we can get Adam Matthews back to full fitness, I think he could do a fine job at right wing back.

3 hours ago, Red Army Faction said:

Top post, have yourself a fat cigar.

I liked all the DNA talk and thought there was more to it than usual BS. The club is forging an identity for itself which does seem to be starting to be recognised within the game.  We as fans are becoming less emotional about possibly losing players as we trust in the direction the club is taking.  As other have said, all the players coming in seem to be blessed with intelligence and a great attitude.

We are working towards a model where players and managers are no longer indispensable, but where continuity in coaching, player development, analysis, sport science and recruitment is key.  Where the sum of the whole is more than the parts, so we can sell a player and the wheels don't fall off.  We still need to get the team really clicking now and move on.

Fantastic time to be a City fan.

Excellent post.  I think it's what's been going on down in Southampton..  They've lost loads of players had different managers and still managed to survive! 

I think you're right about not being too emotional about losing players.. I liked Ayling,  but we were able to get a really good fee for him and go and get someone like Moore is tremendous. 

All very exciting!

This could well be the best bit of business, by any championship club this window.  

Welcome to Ashton Gate. I can't wait to see how he prograsses. 

Another cornerstone added to our team. Building for the future and competing today. What a window we are having. 

Stevo

Enjoying this thread. Regarding "intelligence" in footballers, there is an interesting study done by Howard Gardener about 30 years ago about the 9 types of intelligence. Many people just think of intelligence as linguistic, logic/ mathmatical skill. Education today is sadly going down an ever narrowing route of so called intelligence, and those that don't succeed in Maths and Language are often dismissed as unintelligent.

Intelligence is also-

The ability for a football player to instinctively know where his teammates are and pick out a 40 yard inch perfect pass

The ability for a striker to be able to time his run to perfection to meet a through ball and stay onside

-- Some footballers may not be able to express themselves linguistically, but they are intelligent in other ways.

Archived