IGNORED

Steve cotterill

BcfcDuncs

Wouldn't be surprised if he impressed Xia. They're in that stage of the cycle now where their fans might quite like a 'kick up the arse' manager rather than a long term plan one (like Wagner, Johnson etc); although I doubt he'd be a popular choice with their supporters initially.

Hope he gets it, would be good to see him back in management.

4 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he impressed Xia. They're in that stage of the cycle now where their fans might quite like a 'kick up the arse' manager rather than a long term plan one (like Wagner, Johnson etc); although I doubt he'd be a popular choice with their supporters initially.

Hope he gets it, would be good to see him back in management.

Especially if he can reproduce the form we had at the start of our first season back in the Championship... 

:whistle2:

I hope he doesn't get a Championship job, for his own sake. It's where he's never really performed. With better backing he probably could have last year but that's all speculation and has been discussed once or twice.

Coventry would be better for him. Even though SISU have been on an asset-stripping drive they've still got a squad good enough to do OK and it's not like they'll expect anything more than mid-table now.

9 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

I hope he doesn't get a Championship job, for his own sake. It's where he's never really performed. With better backing he probably could have last year but that's all speculation and has been discussed once or twice.

Coventry would be better for him. Even though SISU have been on an asset-stripping drive they've still got a squad good enough to do OK and it's not like they'll expect anything more than mid-table now.

apart from keeping portsmouth up against all odds and laying the foundations for burnley of course and the difficult job he did at forest getting them out of the shit

• Admin
4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

apart from keeping portsmouth up against all odds and laying the foundations for burnley of course and the difficult job he did at forest getting them out of the shit

and none of that is what Villa are looking to do

8 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Oh come on, this was peddled out at the time he was here, normally by the man himself, and it was bollocks then too. I stick up for SC for his time here but it's just not true, like when he credited himself for giving Patrick Bamford a chance in the Forest first team and starting off Jay Rodriguez's career.

Portsmouth never had a bad team and were still spending money when he was there, he established Burnley in mid-table and they were promoted the year after he left, and as difficult as it is to believe most Forest fans will tell you they improved when SOD came in, they still only finished 19th.

He failed in the Championship with City because he wouldn't give up on the players or style of play that worked in league one and because he spent too long chasing a marquee signing rather than bringing in decent Championship players. I think he genuinely believed that a couple of top class additions would see City blow sides away like they had in the league below and he was just waiting for it to happen.

Coming into a new club I'd expect him to do what he did when he arrived at City which is to look at the squad and work out the best lineup and tactics to firstly survive and secondly to push on.

Whether he could repeat the trick with Villa remains to be seen, but the particular fault that led to his demise at City did not ought to affect him initially (or at all if he learns from it).

13 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

he spent too long chasing a marquee signing rather than bringing in decent Championship players. I think he genuinely believed that a couple of top class additions would see City blow sides away like they had in the league below and he was just waiting for it to happen.

Argh, this is a wives' tale which is peddled so much on here but just is not true.

21 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

Argh, this is a wives' tale which is peddled so much on here but just is not true.

Which bit? The bit where he spent all summer trying to sign the likes of Dwight Gayle and ended up with nobody or the bit where he persisted for half a season with an attacking 3-5-2 that wasn't working?

I don't know any old wives tales about him. I'm 200 miles from Bristol and far from the rumour mill. I just know what I see happening from a distance.

I personally don't think there is a place for him in modern football anymore...he's a dinosaur. Unless he was to change the way he 'managed' then I think he will struggle.

Clubs are getting more savvy and realising football is changing fast, and there is no place for 'old skool' football managers anymore...if you want long term success.

Managing a football club is now, is about having a team around you that you can work with and delegate. All pulling together and trusting one another.

These 'Old skool' managers still have an old way of managing and it's hard to adjust. It's 'my way or the high way' with a lot of them.

Football has moved on drastically.  A lot of managers of a certain age haven't. You only have to look at the list of British managers without a club, and have been for a while...all over a certain age and of similar ilk, to see the connection.

The likes of Eddie Howe and our own LJ are now the future. People in the game know that.

More importantly...they relate better with the modern pro players.

These players now are of a generation that has grown up as 'soft' compared to what a lot of us have experienced.

They don't respond well to how a lot of these 'old skool' managers go about their business...especially in man management and motivation.

We all joke about players needing the proverbial kick up the backside...but that's how we were motivated.

Man management is massive. Understanding how each individual player ticks and treating them like an adult gains respect and they'll play for you.

SC lost that respect. Plus he is far less tactically astute at this level than LJ...a manager with far less years under his belt.

I wouldn't wish SC on any Club...well the Gas maybe ;-)

Just my opinion....

43 minutes ago, spudski said:

I personally don't think there is a place for him in modern football anymore...he's a dinosaur. Unless he was to change the way he 'managed' then I think he will struggle.

Clubs are getting more savvy and realising football is changing fast, and there is no place for 'old skool' football managers anymore...if you want long term success.

Managing a football club is now, is about having a team around you that you can work with and delegate. All pulling together and trusting one another.

These 'Old skool' managers still have an old way of managing and it's hard to adjust. It's 'my way or the high way' with a lot of them.

Football has moved on drastically.  A lot of managers of a certain age haven't. You only have to look at the list of British managers without a club, and have been for a while...all over a certain age and of similar ilk, to see the connection.

The likes of Eddie Howe and our own LJ are now the future. People in the game know that.

More importantly...they relate better with the modern pro players.

These players now are of a generation that has grown up as 'soft' compared to what a lot of us have experienced.

They don't respond well to how a lot of these 'old skool' managers go about their business...especially in man management and motivation.

We all joke about players needing the proverbial kick up the backside...but that's how we were motivated.

Man management is massive. Understanding how each individual player ticks and treating them like an adult gains respect and they'll play for you.

SC lost that respect. Plus he is far less tactically astute at this level than LJ...a manager with far less years under his belt.

I wouldn't wish SC on any Club...well the Gas maybe ;-)

Just my opinion....

even so, their owner doesn't seem to be very progressive…

I am probably in a small minority here but I think he could well do alright there.

Think he would get them going again for a start, and on paper they have a higher calibre of players in terms of experience, reputation, level played at than we did last year, absolutely- hell who can say a 3-5-2 may not work for them? They are a top heavy side in terms of strikers and attacking players and a 3-5-2 may do them alright.

57 minutes ago, BCFC_Dan said:

Which bit? The bit where he spent all summer trying to sign the likes of Dwight Gayle and ended up with nobody or the bit where he persisted for half a season with an attacking 3-5-2 that wasn't working?

I don't know any old wives tales about him. I'm 200 miles from Bristol and far from the rumour mill. I just know what I see happening from a distance.

For a start, Dwight Gayle's name wasn't even mentioned until August, which I believe doesn't constitute all summer, so there's your first tale.

Secondly, plenty of feasible targets were identified and left with the board, but the behind-the-scenes work, which Mark Ashton has done so well this year, was non-existent.

Do you really think this interview (in July, by the way) was an off-the-cuff comment about transfers, and not a thought-out pop at the board?

@spudski makes a good point but to not wish him on any club is very harsh. In League One where the pool of players is more localised and infrastructure is more straightforward, he took us by the scruff of the neck and dragged us into the Championship, alongside Burt and Ashton.

4 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

For a start, Dwight Gayle's name wasn't even mentioned until August, which I believe doesn't constitute all summer, so there's your first tale.

Secondly, plenty of feasible targets were identified and left with the board, but the behind-the-scenes work, which Mark Ashton has done so well this year, was non-existent.

It doesn't matter when Dwight Gayle's name is mentioned or even if it's mentioned at all. The fact remains that there was a whole summer to get signings in and come September we had Kodjia, a couple of loans and a bloke who'd already had second thoughts and buggered off again.

I remember an interview with Steve Lansdown at the end of the promotion season in which he talked about how Cotterill would identify and present a list of targets to him within the next few weeks and I remember thinking then that that was surprisingly late. It was obvious from January that we were in with a good chance of going up and it was pretty much nailed on from March. That list of signings could have been presented much earlier than it was (as I believe it was this time ago, with LJ and MA working on it from day one).

I don't know the ins and outs of the club and nor do I pretend to. Maybe Cotterill was trying to give the board a list of signings on January 1st and they just sat on it. I don't care really as everyone involved other than the directors has gone now and things are better. All I am talking about is the evidence as viewed from outside which is that:

1. They didn't appear to start looking at new signings until May at the earliest.

2. They didn't sign anyone at all until July.

3. By the end of August they'd made 3 permanent signings and 2 of those left again.

My original post was largely defending Cotterill but he does not get to escape the blame for that calamity of an off-season.

Archived