IGNORED

Slovenia v England

Robbored

Terrible performance yet again and lucky to get a point tonight.

Its hard watching when it looks like they have forgot how to win a game, we look scared and confused and nothing has changed performance wise since the Iceland embarrassment.

The reality is that we have a very average group of players that have no guidance from the management, we'd be better off playing with our u21 team or a team from the Championship, at least they would have the desire to try and win a game.

I almost want us to fail in these next few games so Southgate doesn't get the job and heads will roll in the FA

14 minutes ago, yardy said:

I almost want us to fail in these next few games so Southgate doesn't get the job and heads will roll in the FA

I don't think it'll make one bit of difference if he does go - i don't think there is a Manager anywhere that could inspire them on the pitch. They are so poor it's funny. But hey, they don't need to worry as it doesn't have any impact on them.

And do you really believe heads will roll at the FA? No chance as proven by the last run of managers in charge of dire teams. Unfortunately they are the untouchables.

2 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

I don't think it'll make one bit of difference if he does go - i don't think there is a Manager anywhere that could inspire them on the pitch. They are so poor it's funny. But hey, they don't need to worry as it doesn't have any impact on them.

And do you really believe heads will roll at the FA? No chance as proven by the last run of managers in charge of dire teams. Unfortunately they are the untouchables.

The FA is the only consistent thing in all these years of failure, realistically no i can't see heads rolling but one can dream.

3 minutes ago, bs3 said:

Credit to England and Scotland for doing the decent thing by boycotting the Russian World Cup.

I don't get this comment, we haven't lost any of the games played yet. 

Anyway, fill the team with youngsters, get in an experienced manager, someone like Wenger, give them years to settle in together, bringing more through. Actively encourage top teams to bring young English players through, with financial incentives. Makes rules about the number of English players in match day squads. Most importantly, let them play, get in a physcologist to get their mind right. Decide how we want to play from the outset, and pick players to suit this style. Let players develop, and bring some ******* excitement back to English international matches.  

All while overhauling the old fashioned, outdated, FA. 

30 minutes ago, cynic said:

That won't happen though will it.

It will be more or less the same side as tonight.

I think it very unlikely to happen, but I still think its what we should do. There is nothing at stake in that game and it would be an England game I'd be excited to watch if we did. 

4 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

I don't get this comment, we haven't lost any of the games played yet. 

Anyway, fill the team with youngsters, get in an experienced manager, someone like Wenger, give them years to settle in together, bringing more through. Actively encourage top teams to bring young English players through, with financial incentives. Makes rules about the number of English players in match day squads. Most importantly, let them play, get in a physcologist to get their mind right. Decide how we want to play from the outset, and pick players to suit this style. Let players develop, and bring some ******* excitement back to English international matches.  

All while overhauling the old fashioned, outdated, FA. 

You'll never be able to just let them play and do a 'Germany'. The Press in this country are bigger than the FA and football to a certain extent. They are out for blood...whatever it takes.

These young players, play well at Club level, but panic and play with fear at International level. It's plain for everyone to see. It's nothing to do with the managers...

They have no chance to 'develop'....every game is scrutinised. Every little fault pulled apart.

If I was a top England player, I wouldn't want to play for the Country, it's not worth it.

Players have actually said that...it's not worth the hassle. It's way too intense, an unjustified in it's criticism a lot.

The media is looking to destroy England at every opportunity...and the public get taken in by it. It's a vicious circle.

18 minutes ago, spudski said:

Unless it's unoaked, I wouldn't touch that stuff, even as mouth wash fella...seriously...do you actually drink that stuff? It's heartburn worse than any pasty.

I'm usually a cider man but had a decent bottle chilled so thought I'd neck it during what was a very boring game...no heartburn yet ...

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

You'll never be able to just let them play and do a 'Germany'. The Press in this country are bigger than the FA and football to a certain extent. They are out for blood...whatever it takes.

These young players, play well at Club level, but panic and play with fear at International level. It's plain for everyone to see. It's nothing to do with the managers...

They have no chance to 'develop'....every game is scrutinised. Every little fault pulled apart.

If I was a top England player, I wouldn't want to play for the Country, it's not worth it.

Players have actually said that...it's not worth the hassle. It's way too intense, an unjustified in it's criticism a lot.

The media is looking to destroy England at every opportunity...and the public get taken in by it. It's a vicious circle.

Actually the real problem is probably far more simple and has nothing to do with the press.

Week in week out these young players play pretty much the 'English way' in our over blown premier league and when they play for England they are suddenly expected to play the 'continental way' and guess what most of them ain't good enough to play these 2 disparate systems, hence the reason none of them apart from the goalkeeper play for top mainland European teams.

However the top foreign players who play in the prem seem to have no problems whatsoever.

2 minutes ago, spudski said:

Personally I think it's all the do the the negative mood across English international football, as there's has been for years, even decades. 

The FA need to get the press onside, and start that by setting out a clear plan both to overhaul the association and the national team system. 

The press would love it if the FA came out with set plans, yearly targets, and decided to actually progress. 

Imagine how good the mood would be in around england if we finally decided to move on from the likes of Rooney, Cahill, Walcott etc. After the headlines, it would settle and a sense of hope would overcome everyone. 

In my opinion it's now or never. There's a chance to rebuild the reputation with the right appointment. 

But let's be honest, we'll appoint Southgate, nothing will change, and it'll slowly get worse.

6 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Personally I think it's all the do the the negative mood across English international football, as there's has been for years, even decades. 

The FA need to get the press onside, and start that by setting out a clear plan both to overhaul the association and the national team system. 

The press would love it if the FA came out with set plans, yearly targets, and decided to actually progress. 

Imagine how good the mood would be in around england if we finally decided to move on from the likes of Rooney, Cahill, Walcott etc. After the headlines, it would settle and a sense of hope would overcome everyone. 

In my opinion it's now or never. There's a chance to rebuild the reputation with the right appointment. 

But let's be honest, we'll appoint Southgate, nothing will change, and it'll slowly get worse.

They could dig up Alf Ramsey and it would make no difference at all.  The press are a pointless side show.  Playing the young players is a nice idea (at least we'd expect less for a short while) but the truth is each new generation is the same - full of flashes of promise and melts when it matters.

The problem is coaching from the grassroots up.  Even our best players can't control a football and pass accurately, they go to pieces when under pressure because so much effort goes on concentrating on the basics whereas other nations players don't have to think about it and can afford to think about things like tactics and decisions.

It won't be fixed because the top few clubs and the FA hoard the money and the supporters keep letting them.

9 minutes ago, Nibor said:

They could dig up Alf Ramsey and it would make no difference at all.  The press are a pointless side show.  Playing the young players is a nice idea (at least we'd expect less for a short while) but the truth is each new generation is the same - full of flashes of promise and melts when it matters.

The problem is coaching from the grassroots up.  Even our best players can't control a football and pass accurately, they go to pieces when under pressure because so much effort goes on concentrating on the basics whereas other nations players don't have to think about it and can afford to think about things like tactics and decisions.

It won't be fixed because the top few clubs and the FA hoard the money and the supporters keep letting them.

Disagree, the players deal with immense pressure week in week out in the prem, the most competive league in the world. In Dele Alli and Rashford we have two the best young players in the world. The press have a huge effect on the players.

9 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Disagree, the players deal with immense pressure week in week out in the prem, the most competive league in the world. In Dele Alli and Rashford we have two the best young players in the world. The press have a huge effect on the players.

and more than a few bring unnecessary attention to themselves, I give you Mr Sterling and Mr Wilshere for starters.

Another point, for tens of years we've always had one of the best teams in the world across under 19, under 20 and under 21. 

How can we be better than the likes of Germany and Spain at youth team level, yet players consistently fail to step up, unlike in the before mentioned teams? 

The answer is quite simply their top teams  give younger players chances, unlike the chelseas and Man City's, who produce an unbelievable number or top young players and then go on to ruin their careers by not playing them but keeping hold of them for a long time.

31 minutes ago, JasonM88 said:

Surely the Championship is far more competitive than the Premiershit?

1 hour ago, JasonM88 said:

I don't think they do, they're in their comfort zones in the prem.  It's high on pace and energy and low on quality.  The press contribute to pressure but England is a pressure all of it's own, the problem is the players don't have strong enough fundamentals so they go to pieces in the cauldron.  Alli and Rashford are nowhere near being some of the best young players in the world, that's total hype.

2 hours ago, Nibor said:

Realistically, it's a mixture of both ability and pressure, and I think in the next few years we will see a stronger crop of English players coming through the ranks. Chelsea won the UEFA Youth League last season, for the second year in a row, with 10 of the 11 starters being English. Have we gone out to teams technically better than us in the last two tournaments? No.

England players do crumble under pressure, I'm not sure why as the press are equally as vitriol-filled abroad as here, certainly in Spain, Italy etc. - quite against what @spudski says I think the fact our own fans are willing to boo our own captain for the crime of being out of form is what sets us apart.

The other fact is that in other countries which would fancy themselves as major contenders, there's an expectation that their team will go out and perform well, but also a belief. I think here, we get the expectation every time a tournament rolls round, but is there the belief, maybe even arrogance, that we will do? It would be healthy if there were, but there just isn't.

3 hours ago, Dastardly and Muttley said:

What do England want to be? The Italians are a defensive team, the Spanish are technical, the French play with flair, the Germans are well organised. (All traditional features of those nations' teams.)

Who is going to try and give England an identity, because I've no idea what we're trying to be? Are we a counter attack team? Do we try and dominate possession? Is the aim to attack using our fullbacks and wingers?

England appear to be the overpaid prima donnas, who think they're better than they are.

I had the game on in the background, but found reading more interesting than watching that.

The national manager doesn't seem to be the problem. It seems to be the way the players are idolised from an early age that is the real issue. 

I do support England, but far less than I used to. I've wasted too much time and effort to care too much any more.

Archived