IGNORED

Slovenia v England

Robbored

1 hour ago, Rob k said:

I think the international game is still seen importantly here, no other side in Europe would have got 81k against Malta after our piss poor show at the euros, no other country travels in the numbers we do either. 

I know what you're saying, think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make though. The clubs are completely self interested in this country. Everything they do is based around making that individual club stronger and no interest is taken whatsoever by the clubs in the fortunes of the national team. 

The public turning out to watch the games is a different issue. England are staggeringly well supported considering how mediocre they are. I still think the 'real' fans are more interested in their clubs though. I don't know one person who actually enjoys the international break, which says it all. 

9 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Point is ok. Slovenia are like one of those ex Eastern, Balkan type sides- good at home, technically not bad and generally just awkward. We could quite easily have lost based on some of Hart's saves but a point seems fair.

On another note, as a spectacle it was one of the better England games in recent times I thought. Slovak red card made that attack v defence if it wasn't already and Malta, well I didn't even bother watching that. Slovenia are probably the 2nd best side in the group.

Am I missing something? We didn't play Slovakia and there was no red card?

I was at the Austria v Wales in Vienna last Thursday and while Wales gave away two soft goals, imo, they at least looked dangerous when they went forward. and it wasn't all down to Bale as I thought he had a relatively quiet game.

I watched England second half against Slovenia and they looked totally inept compared with Wales. Yet player for player, England have a far better squad. So it must be down to coaching and man management.

44 minutes ago, Jacki said:

I know what you're saying, think you misunderstood the point I was trying to make though. The clubs are completely self interested in this country. Everything they do is based around making that individual club stronger and no interest is taken whatsoever by the clubs in the fortunes of the national team. 

The public turning out to watch the games is a different issue. England are staggeringly well supported considering how mediocre they are. I still think the 'real' fans are more interested in their clubs though. I don't know one person who actually enjoys the international break, which says it all. 

Ok fair point, I agree the clubs are self interested and that's down to the enormous riches of the premier league and how much you get even to come bottom, that's also down imo to the English clubs more or less all being foreign owned, none of our top clubs owners would care about the England national side and why would they I suppose.

The people I know who don't like the international break are usually the ones who don't go, personally I love going away with a good group of City fans to all sorts of different places around Europe to watch England, absolutely brilliant days away, that's no different to City, if I was only worried about the football I would have jacked it in 30 odd years ago!!!

12 minutes ago, Rob k said:

Ok fair point, I agree the clubs are self interested and that's down to the enormous riches of the premier league and how much you get even to come bottom, that's also down imo to the English clubs more or less all being foreign owned, none of our top clubs owners would care about the England national side and why would they I suppose.

The people I know who don't like the international break are usually the ones who don't go, personally I love going away with a good group of City fans to all sorts of different places around Europe to watch England, absolutely brilliant days away, that's no different to City, if I was only worried about the football I would have jacked it in 30 odd years ago!!!

Fair point there fella, I don't know anyone who actually goes to any of the international stuff. Sounds like a great laugh watching England away so I guess I don't know what I'm missing  

Personally I love watching City, I've got my kids into it and it's genuinely magical at the moment. When there's no game for a couple of weeks we really miss it.  And when England are as uniformly dreadful as they are it seems like a bloody lifetime! 

I know I'm an old fogie, (whatever that is ?), but I just don't think that playing for England is a priority for our "star" footballers any more. Money used to mean a lot to even the first division players who were still relying on win bonuses to make ends meet. Not only was being chosen for England an honour but also an extra supplement to their wages. Now those players are more concerned about getting injured and losing their place in their club team, and they certainly don't need the extra money. And what interest do the majority of premiership managers have in our national team? (Arsenal Wenger apart. )

I'm not far from shunning international football completely, for various reasons, but I think it's worth noting that after two games in their group, Portugal are level on points with Latvia and a point behind the Faroe Islands who remain unbeaten!!

Our media would hang our manager out to dry - whoever he/she was if that was the case with England...

30 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I'm not far from shunning international football completely, for various reasons, but I think it's worth noting that after two games in their group, Portugal are level on points with Latvia and a point behind the Faroe Islands who remain unbeaten!!

Our media would hang our manager out to dry - whoever he/she was if that was the case with England...

Our media hung our manager out to dry when he had a 100% record.

I've just concluded they're crap.

No excuses for them being so inept.

Apologists would blame the lack of coaching. Realists conclude they're crap... the case being if you can't cross a stationary ball from the corner flag to a target area measuring about 8m X 5m in the penalty box you're just crap. If you keep failing to do that you're really crap. Struth, a fooking Sunday league player could do it.. with zero coaching.

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 00:36, Robin1988 said:

Realistically, it's a mixture of both ability and pressure, and I think in the next few years we will see a stronger crop of English players coming through the ranks. Chelsea won the UEFA Youth League last season, for the second year in a row, with 10 of the 11 starters being English. Have we gone out to teams technically better than us in the last two tournaments? No.

England players do crumble under pressure, I'm not sure why as the press are equally as vitriol-filled abroad as here, certainly in Spain, Italy etc. - quite against what @spudski says I think the fact our own fans are willing to boo our own captain for the crime of being out of form is what sets us apart.

The other fact is that in other countries which would fancy themselves as major contenders, there's an expectation that their team will go out and perform well, but also a belief. I think here, we get the expectation every time a tournament rolls round, but is there the belief, maybe even arrogance, that we will do? It would be healthy if there were, but there just isn't.

Not sure whether you'd or anyone else is interested now, but Danny Murphy is on Talksport right now, saying England players prefer playing for their Clubs over England, and mentioned it's because, like I said, of the intense pressure and scrutiny they are under at International level, by media and pundits. Every mistake magnified.

Said they wouldn't say it in public, but it's what is said amongst players.

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Not sure whether you'd or anyone else is interested now, but Danny Murphy is on Talksport right now, saying England players prefer playing for their Clubs over England, and mentioned it's because, like I said, of the intense pressure and scrutiny they are under at International level, by media and pundits. Every mistake magnified.

Said they wouldn't say it in public, but it's what is said amongst players.

No I don't doubt that one bit, but Marca and other papers give other nations a hard time too. I can't imagine they'd boo their own captain, but I might be wrong.

13 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

No I don't doubt that one bit, but Marca and other papers give other nations a hard time too. I can't imagine they'd boo their own captain, but I might be wrong.

I'd say players abroad are under even more scrutiny tbh...they get used to it from an early age.

You've got tv and radio stations dedicated to clubs, like a few here, and they follow their every move. From turning up in the car park and discussing what they are wearing and what car they drive, to training ground, where crowds watch as well as press, even watching what they are eating in the clubhouse...it's truly mental.

Foreign players find it a breeze here...especially as most clubs just have morning sessions...whilst abroad they have afternoon sessions as well.

TBH...as a nation, we are far more interested in the national side, than what they are abroad...although that is also waning here now.

Playing or managing England is a thankless task it seems.

37 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

I keep reading that Rooney was booed at the Malta game, but I was in the stadium and didn't hear any booing, and nor did any of the other England fans who I spoke to in Ljubljana on Tuesday. Even Rooney himself was quoted as saying "I didn't really hear any boos". The press seem to have spread a story that he was widely booed, but I just don't think it's true. 

That's not to say England players haven't been booed by our own fans, because it very much has happened. I've heard Gary Neville booed at Anfield and Peter Crouch booed at Old Trafford, both whilst playing for England.

And it certainly happens in other countries. Gerard Pique was loudly jeered in Alicante when England went there last year, and Mario Gomez has had similar treatment from German fans (just two examples). 

22 minutes ago, North London Red said:

I keep reading that Rooney was booed at the Malta game, but I was in the stadium and didn't hear any booing, and nor did any of the other England fans who I spoke to in Ljubljana on Tuesday. Even Rooney himself was quoted as saying "I didn't really hear any boos". The press seem to have spread a story that he was widely booed, but I just don't think it's true. 

I was listening on the radio and heard booing. Can't confirm they didn't dub it over the top mind.

It's a bit different when it's rival clubs too isn't it, rather than booing your captain in the national stadium because you think he's shit.

16 minutes ago, Robin1988 said:

I was listening on the radio and heard booing. Can't confirm they didn't dub it over the top mind.

It's a bit different when it's rival clubs too isn't it, rather than booing your captain in the national stadium because you think he's shit.

Well the only people who were inside the stadium who heard booing seem to be those in the press area - like I said, I heard none and neither did any of the England fans I spoke to in Slovenia on Tuesday. 

As for it being different when club rivalries come into play, in my view booing your own player is equally moronic whatever the supposed justification is. 

48 minutes ago, North London Red said:

Well the only people who were inside the stadium who heard booing seem to be those in the press area - like I said, I heard none and neither did any of the England fans I spoke to in Slovenia on Tuesday. 

As for it being different when club rivalries come into play, in my view booing your own player is equally moronic whatever the supposed justification is. 

Yeah it is, naturally it's easier to brush off if it's pantomime booing though.

Archived