IGNORED

So, 8%

Bristol Rob

9 hours ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

I don't think gay people should keep it secret. Walk along hand in hand, kiss in public, whatever. Do the things everyone does, I genuinely feel that it's not much of an issue these days.

Maybe I'm wrong and your average gay person suffers abuse all the time, but I haven't witnessed it. 

I'm no stranger to prejudice, being in a mixed race relationship, but couldn't care less what people think. 

No mate, not really thank God. I have been verbally abused a handful of time, and threatened with violence twice. The violence thing was actually pretty sad, as I'm a frequent gym goer and pretty fit whereas the guy was 4 stone soaking wet. I just laughed and walked on, but it couldve got nasty.

Like you, in your relationship, you just want to be left alone to get on with your life and supporting City. The LGBT community at large just want parity with your straights (we are almost there) and not to be in spotlight all the time. By replying I have bumped this to the top, but would be happy if this topic tailed off. I am just a normal average bloke who loves his life, his football team, his music and his partner. I am not defined by being gay, its just I was born lucky I guess!

23 minutes ago, gl1 said:

No mate, not really thank God. I have been verbally abused a handful of time, and threatened with violence twice. The violence thing was actually pretty sad, as I'm a frequent gym goer and pretty fit whereas the guy was 4 stone soaking wet. I just laughed and walked on, but it couldve got nasty.

Like you, in your relationship, you just want to be left alone to get on with your life and supporting City. The LGBT community at large just want parity with your straights (we are almost there) and not to be in spotlight all the time. By replying I have bumped this to the top, but would be happy if this topic tailed off. I am just a normal average bloke who loves his life, his football team, his music and his partner. I am not defined by being gay, its just I was born lucky I guess!

Fair play for not reacting, always the best way. My girlfriend is Thai and over the years I have had to put up with comments about mail order brides etc. It genuinely doesn't bother me though.

Funnily enough, homophobia only seems to get discussed on OTIB when the BBC or FA tell us it's a problem. I feel that this is more a reflection on the agendas of these morally questionable organisations, rather than an indication of a widespread problem in football.

38 minutes ago, Sir Colby-Tit said:

Fair play for not reacting, always the best way. My girlfriend is Thai and over the years I have had to put up with comments about mail order brides etc. It genuinely doesn't bother me though.

Funnily enough, homophobia only seems to get discussed on OTIB when the BBC or FA tell us it's a problem. I feel that this is more a reflection on the agendas of these morally questionable organisations, rather than an indication of a widespread problem in football.

Yes I think so too. Lure people into a false sense of security, until they can 'out' them in the press in order to destroy their reputation/career. Nasty.

I think of Max Mosley, who they tried to destroy with news of his activities…

21 hours ago, handsofclay said:

I would endorse this. I well remember, and the distaste has not been diluted, when in an FA Cup 3rd round replay v Notts County in 1984, John Chedoze, the County winger, went to fetch the ball to give it back to City having been, I think, caught offside. This sporting gesture was met with a chorus of monkey chants from loads of City fans. I applauded Chedoze and stopped going to AG for about 18 months, so disgusted was I. I did not want to be amongst such Neanderthals.

I tend to suspect that if homophobic abuse was levelled at an opposing player who was displaying similar sporting behaviour now I would react in the same fashion. I would feel sick being amongst such idiots wwho are also cowards to boot. The only thing that would prevent me from absenting myself would be if there was a significant majority of City fans who then booed the prejudiced numbskulls amongst them.

I was at that game and remember the monkey chants. He was a great player . Unfortunately I joined in the chants thinking it was quite funny but might be a little wrong. We all know different know. 

17 hours ago, 29AR said:
4 hours ago, shelts said:

I was at that game and remember the monkey chants. He was a great player . Unfortunately I joined in the chants thinking it was quite funny but might be a little wrong. We all know different know. 

I am not holier than anyone else. In my teens in the 1970s I remember thinking it amusing when we chanted about Aberfan v Cardiff and Munich with Man Utd.

It's not about racism in my opinion. It's about spotting what is believed to be the public opinion weakness of the opposition side let alone their star player being black or having big ears. When the black guy or the guy with big ears are in your side you won't hear those chants. Something I learnt long time ago. 

I'm hungry. I let my oversized jeans fall down my ass showing half of it striving my way to McDonalds. Carrying my 2 000 year old shrimped brain on top of it.

I'm starving. I need to get out hunting before the sun rise so I can catch that fallow deer before my family starve to death.

Or brains are not made for the nuthouse called modern society.

On 10/26/2016 at 19:40, Bristol Rob said:

Quite agree, but when Brighton travel and are usually met with a chorus of 'does your boyfriend know you're here?'

Which a lot will put down to 'lolz-bantz' and 'it isn't the same as targeting an individual', it's of little surprise that no current players have yet to come out.

Don't they usually reply with "You're too ugly to be gay", which is a top response in my opinion.

Mind you. most of my gay mates are absolute munters, so maybe that's a load of b*11*cks.

10 hours ago, finbarr_in_z said:

Don't they usually reply with "You're too ugly to be gay", which is a top response in my opinion.

Mind you. most of my gay mates are absolute munters, so maybe that's a load of b*11*cks.

My favourite stereotypical male line is "I don't mind them, as long as they don't come into me" sorry mate, they have types too 

On 27/10/2016 at 16:31, LondonBristolian said:

Statistically you're not.  Don't know if that helps.  

What kind of recognition are you after?  You may need to elaborate on exactly what it is you want to happen.

Let's be honest.  It probably wouldn't be quite the paradise you'd imagine...

They are.  But some minorities get a tougher time than others.  Ultimately nobody should be discriminated against or disadvantaged on the basis of their ethnicity, gender, sexuality or disability.

In some ways I agree with you.  I think it's far better to explain to people where issues lie rather than simply telling them they are wrong.  At the same time, I refer to my last comment.  Ultimately nobody should be discriminated against or disadvantaged on the basis of their ethnicity, gender, sexuality or disability and the reality is that, if that wasn't happening, it would avoid the frustrated counter-reaction from the people who are being discriminated against.

In an ideal world, it would make no difference whatsoever.  But the reality is that, if you're a young person feeling isolated and alone because something sets you apart from your peers, seeing other people like you who can be role models makes a huge difference.  The simple fact is that a high-profile gay footballer would make a huge difference to gay people who wanted to get into sport, and also in challenging stereotypes about gay people.  Gareth Thomas changed a lot of people's perspectives on sexuality and what a gay man 'could' or could not do.  A gay footballer could do the same.  It shouldn't matter, of course.  But it does.

What's more, the Premier League is popular in countries where gay sex is illegal and can result in execution.  Don't underestimate the power to make a difference.

Probably nobody has asked that question to a mate.  But the fact is we know there are gay footballers who don't come out (statistically there must be) so clearly fan reaction matters to those players.  Nobody should live their life feeling they need to hide who they are or who they love. 

Gay people aren't a homogeneous mass.  Different people will think different things.  But there are certainly gay people who are troubled by the negative reaction they might get, especially if there is a realistic fear of physical violence mixed in with it.  Again the fact that gay footballers are not coming out backs that up.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I don't think anyone disputed that.  But free speech extends both ways.  If someone has the right to an opinion, someone else does have the right to ask (in a non-threatening way) why they have the opinion they have. Free speech means freedom to say what you like without being persecuted or imprisoned not freedom to say what you like without questions or consequence.

I didn't see that the poster said he was worried about them (or even called them 'insecure').  He just made the reasonable point that some heterosexual men wear their sexuality on their sleeves too.

Again, this is true.  But it's worth reflecting on the fact that you or I could go to any country in the world without a fear that we will be physically beaten, imprisoned or even killed due to who we want to have sex with.  A gay person does not have that luxury.

Indeed they should not. But neither should anyone feel unsafe, threatened or as though they need to hide who they are because of their sexuality.  And as long as that happens, this will continue to matter. 

I was going to reply to spuds post but you pretty much covered all I was going to say so thanks! 

Archived