IGNORED

So, 8%

Bristol Rob

14 minutes ago, gl1 said:

Here we go again, the great gay debate in football.

As a gay man I couldn't give a flying do dah if members of my team I support are gay, bi, transsexual, asexual, eunuch, or whatever. I also don't mind if the referee, the linesperson, the steward or the person who pours my tea is either. Or isn't. Or is undecided. Or maybe after a few pints might be as long as his girlfriend isn't looking.

So, if 8% of a fanbase walks away due to one or more players being gay, well, good riddance, I don't want to be sat next to such a shallow and misinformed individual. Let them go follow a macho, 100% straight, not homoerotic at all sport, like rugby, where no player would ever be gay (here's looking at you Gareth). As long as they keep on the right side of the law, respect my right to be who I want to be, just as I respect their right to be who they want to be, we'll all be grand  

By mere probability there will be gay men who have done, currently do, or will play for us a some point. Hopefully they will be fit as, (here's hoping Mr O'Donnell)

I wonder why Lesbian women footballers don't worry and come out over men? The same in hockey, tennis and athletics....sports where it seems the 'norm'.

I find your last sentence interesting...as it could be misconstrued if a straight man said the same about a female footballer...

Personally your last sentence doesn't bother me...and I find it funny...but can you see where i'm coming from...one rule for one, but not another?

Like I said in my previous post...more humour the better....all good fella ;-) by the way...Gareth is an odious bloke...not for his sexuality, just his actions.

14 minutes ago, spudski said:

I wonder why Lesbian women footballers don't worry and come out over men? The same in hockey, tennis and athletics....sports where it seems the 'norm'.

I find your last sentence interesting...as it could be misconstrued if a straight man said the same about a female footballer...

Personally your last sentence doesn't bother me...and I find it funny...but can you see where i'm coming from...one rule for one, but not another?

Like I said in my previous post...more humour the better....all good fella ;-) by the way...Gareth is an odious bloke...not for his sexuality, just his actions.

Yeah was just a joke fella about O'Donnell as I had used the same 'looking as you line' earlier in the post. Could really be 'insert player name here'. If it's one rule for one and one for another I don't think it's as bad as the 'get your tits for the lads' you used to hear quite a bit in football, and still do on a rowdy night out? Don't think I've ever heard a gang of gay men urging a passing attractive man to 'get it out for the lads'. Yep we never seem to be able to play by the straight lads rules 

Joking aside, I really don't care, but if a younger, less assured man or woman struggling with their sexuality did get affected by this or other negative comments then yeah I get a bit sad. 

When this topic comes up, the one thing that always comes to mind for me is a game at West Ham a few years ago. At half time, they had a gay bloke from the only way is Essex on the pitch doing the half time draw. He was more than a little bit camp and he was ridiculed and chanted at by the fans around me. I felt a bit disgusted but no doubt if Id said anything, people would have defended it as "banter" or something. Cretins. Anyway, yeah we've got a long way to go still.

Well if the documentary Bruno taught us anything it's that if you have two gay men in the same sporting arena, they'll probably have a 'moment, start flirting and possibly kiss..

The other thing is you can swap a baby ( a black one anyway ) for an iPod...

WESTSIDE...

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

Just re-read your post and I'm confused now!

Not sure what could be misconstrued about a straight man saying the same about a female footballer. Don't get what you mean, I was jokingly saying that I wished ROD is gay cos he's fit. (Even though I was only having a laugh) Are you saying it could be misconstrued if a straight man says about a fit female sportswoman, that he hopes she is straight? Sorry if I'm dense, I don't get your connection. Have you never watched a sport with a female player and not only enjoyed the game but the enjoyment of seeing an attractive person? At the olympics I nearly broke the pause and rewind button during the men's 10 metre diving final...

• Admin

R5 have been banging on about this all day, had the gay rugby league player on as guest editor and then were surprised when someone questioned why there were using him as a focal,point, when they were arguing for gay players to be treated as straight players.

They kept on and on about why there are no out gay players in the Premier league - they never once questioned if there is actually a gay player in the league, they also raised the point that there have been no gay golfers, maybe that's because there actually haven't been any.  I think if it was proven that all Premier league players were straight, the BBC would be in meltdown, they kept quoting that 1 in 10 of the population is gay, well not in my world it isn't.  Maybe in the luvee media.....

7 minutes ago, B1ackbird said:

Well if the documentary Bruno taught us anything it's that if you have two gay men in the same sporting arena, they'll probably have a 'moment, start flirting and possibly kiss..

Oh I do hope so...

2 hours ago, Bat Fastard said:

I don't think people would or could really care about something like this.  As long as they are in our team I will support them whatever.  It's what supporters do!  The only time that I have not liked someone at City was when Pulis was manager - I hated the way he played and hated the way he kept saying "triffic" and I was pleased when he left.  I did feel a bit guilty about harbouring such feelings!

**** him,...... dont worry about it. ;) 

2 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Of supporters would cease supporting their team if there was a gay player in the team.

So say the BBC anyway.

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/37760114

Would someone having the confidence to express their sexuality impact your support of City?

Would never even think about there sexuality just dont care what people are

14 minutes ago, gl1 said:

Just re-read your post and I'm confused now!

Not sure what could be misconstrued about a straight man saying the same about a female footballer. Don't get what you mean, I was jokingly saying that I wished ROD is gay cos he's fit. (Even though I was only having a laugh) Are you saying it could be misconstrued if a straight man says about a fit female sportswoman, that he hopes she is straight? Sorry if I'm dense, I don't get your connection. Have you never watched a sport with a female player and not only enjoyed the game but the enjoyment of seeing an attractive person? At the olympics I nearly broke the pause and rewind button during the men's 10 metre diving final...

Not at all mate...more to do with people being 'offended' if they mention them being 'fit' instead of concentrating on the sport they are in.

Woman's football had a nightmare start...as blokes concentrated on the sex rather than their skill.

Enjoying an attractive person in sport can cause 'offense' to some as well it seems.

Not in my or your book...but some find offense at anything it seems.

Statistically one of our squad is gay. And statistically a few members of this forum wouldn't be comfortable if that player came out. 

If a player did come on he would get opposing fans giving him stick for a few months and that would be it.  Whether thats worth coming out for the good it would do in the long run is debatable.  I doubt I would come out if I was a gay footballer.

• Admin
21 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Statistically one of our squad is gay. And statistically a few members of this forum wouldn't be comfortable if that player came out. 

If a player did come on he would get opposing fans giving him stick for a few months and that would be it.  Whether thats worth coming out for the good it would do in the long run is debatable.  I doubt I would come out if I was a gay footballer.

I don't think statistics have much relevance, do you really think that football has the level of gay players that the statistics banded about on the BBC today - 1 in 10 - I don't, I have worked in Engineering for all but 18 months of my working life and have never worked with a gay engineer, that's not to say there aren't any, but there isn't 1 in 10.  During the course of my work, I meet plenty of gay staff working in other roles, my life experience would suggest that in some industries or sectors there are very skewed figures on the statistics being quoted today.

4 hours ago, Southstandoriginal said:

If 8% of football fans really do hold such views then it would be concerning. This survey was however taken by the BBC so should be treated with caution.

What people say publicly on here and anonymously in a survey might be very different. 

I've been told we had a gay player here relatively recently (last decade) who was pretty candid about his sexuality amongst teammates etc and it wasn't an issue. He never felt the need to publicly 'come out' because there's no benefit from doing so.

3 hours ago, PHILINFRANCE said:

As ever, it takes a strong person to be the first to make such an admission, especially on this type of forum, and I both admire and congratulate you.

Feeling strengthened by your revelation, I should like to say that I also like 'boobies'.  

I have a secret and shameful prediliction for knockers also.

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Not in the slightest. Who players have sex with is utterly irrelevant to me. 

The "issue" for gay players not coming out is the reaction they'd get from the away terraces. Shame really in today's modern society.

More a question of sexuality than the act itself.....?

55 minutes ago, Maesknoll Red said:

I don't think statistics have much relevance, do you really think that football has the level of gay players that the statistics banded about on the BBC today - 1 in 10 - I don't, I have worked in Engineering for all but 18 months of my working life and have never worked with a gay engineer, that's not to say there aren't any, but there isn't 1 in 10.  During the course of my work, I meet plenty of gay staff working in other roles, my life experience would suggest that in some industries or sectors there are very skewed figures on the statistics being quoted today.

I allowed for that. The squad is 25 players ish so there is a decent chance one is gay considering a supposed national average of 1 in 10.

Bloody gays coming over here taking all our gays. 

For anyone to withdraw support for anything because someone connected with it is gay is just farcical. By the law of averages - as has been said - some city players past present and future are gay. As are some fans. As are some on here. As are some of the people in Asda. In Currys. In the Army. In the Government. Wether you know about it or not it's a fact. 

Prejudice is rubbish. 

7 hours ago, Phileas Fogg said:

What people say publicly on here and anonymously in a survey might be very different. 

I've been told we had a gay player here relatively recently (last decade) who was pretty candid about his sexuality amongst teammates etc and it wasn't an issue. He never felt the need to publicly 'come out' because there's no benefit from doing so.

That's what I don't understand. I wonder how many of the team have 'come out' as straight to their team mates/the public. 

Isn't it something that you just get on with, rather than shouting from the rooftops? I don't know what the obsession is in the media with gay people having to be able to go round telling everyone they're gay. 

I know plenty of gay people and not once have I heard them wandering around telling people that they're gay, in the same way that heterosexual or bisexual or indeed asexual people don't feel the need to tell people details of their sexuality. 

"The Metropolitan Police, who made seven arrests for alleged public order offences, described Wednesday's incidents as "unacceptable" and said 30 people were prevented from attending the match.

It said part of its investigation will include "a leaflet handed out before the match containing homophobic contents". 

Images on social media before the game appeared to show a song sheet being distributed with homophobic lyrics aimed at Chelsea defender John Terry and striker Diego Costa."

West Ham v Chelsea: Arrests after London Stadium crowd disorder
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37783810

I don't know what gay players and supporters have to worry about really...

Archived