IGNORED

So, 8%

Bristol Rob

1 hour ago, BRISTOL86 said:

That's what I don't understand. I wonder how many of the team have 'come out' as straight to their team mates/the public. 

Isn't it something that you just get on with, rather than shouting from the rooftops? I don't know what the obsession is in the media with gay people having to be able to go round telling everyone they're gay. 

I know plenty of gay people and not once have I heard them wandering around telling people that they're gay, in the same way that heterosexual or bisexual or indeed asexual people don't feel the need to tell people details of their sexuality. 

I don't go round telling people I am gay. But if I am talking generally about life, relationships etc I will refer to my partner as a 'he'. 

Its not a pride thing or a wanting to push my sexuality on people. It's just that the majority of people are straight and as a result presume that I am too. I am not camp, enjoy heavy metal music and don't do stereotypical gay stuff. 

I am not forcing on people just putting them er....straight that my other half is a bloke to save them the embarrassment to keep on referring to my missus only to find out later it's a bloke. 

9 minutes ago, gl1 said:

I don't go round telling people I am gay. But if I am talking generally about life, relationships etc I will refer to my partner as a 'he'. 

Its not a pride thing or a wanting to push my sexuality on people. It's just that the majority of people are straight and as a result presume that I am too. I am not camp, enjoy heavy metal music and don't do stereotypical gay stuff. 

I am not forcing on people just putting them er....straight that my other half is a bloke to save them the embarrassment to keep on referring to my missus only to find out later it's a bloke. 

Exactly! Basically making a non issue of it, as it should rightly be!

But the media seem to have this bizarre idea that the public NEED to know a celebrity/sportspersons sexuality for some bizarre reason! 

20 minutes ago, gl1 said:

nothing wrong with that

13 hours ago, Betty Swallocks said:

What one man does with his penis is none of my business as long as its nothing illegal. 

I would say the only ones that annoy me are the ones who have to tell you just how gay they are.

I have gay friends (male and female) who are annoyed by this sort of thing as well. It does tend to be gay males that act this way rather than lesbians.

Does it annoy you when straight people do the same? 

• Admin

To be honest I would have thought the figure would have been higher

Purely as there as so many "random" people out there, that clearly live in a differently reality to most people

Looking at this 92% don't give a hoot - hats off to them !

But like others have said, and I have said time and time before, I couldn't care if we had a single / married / gay / bi / trans player, as long as they put the effort in on the pitch that is all that should matter

Simply don't care, I don't know why players are scared to come out. It's not like it's a choice, something you can choose is it?

what about youngsters, the ones who know they are gay, but want to play football too? do they feel because they're gay, they come out and have to led a secret for the rest of their lives if they want to follow their dreams? Because that's who I feel sorry for. 

8% or however many it is, do me a favour and **** off, go hide in your cave because we don't want you near our club anyway

Can totally understand why a professional footballer would be reluctant to come out now, since there hasn't really been any active players do it for years.

Even ignoring the fact that there might be abuse from a minority of fans, imagine the reaction from the media, they'd be everywhere. "Gay footballer" would precede every news article or match report mentioning their name. They probably just don't want the spotlight thrown so forcefully on their private lives.

I really couldn't care less what someone's sexuality, race or religion as long as they accept the same rights for everyone else. Live & let live has generally been the rule in this country as long as what you do doesn't hurt or adversely affect others. Without getting too political there have been worrying signs since the referendum that a small minority have thought they have licence to say offensive things to anyone who they perceive as different or disagrees with them, but hopefully that will pass....

All I want from the players in the team I support is that they do their best, same as any other job. What they do outside of work doesn't bother me as long as it's not illegal or frankly immoral.

And men fancying other men etc. is neither of those!

The 8% have been quiet. It's great people have been so positive towards this topic. As a gay man that means a lot. 

I would, however, like to hear from someone who agrees with the 8% why one of our players coming out would make them walk away from BCFC? Not trying to get into an argument just genuinely interested. Everyones opinion is as valid as anyone else's regardless of sex or sexuality so keep it legal, on topic and let's hear from the minority. As from a minority group myself it's important you 8%ers get to tell us why you feel the way you do. 

1 hour ago, Dr Balls said:

I really couldn't care less what someone's sexuality, race or religion as long as they accept the same rights for everyone else.

Hear, hear!

the biggest problem I have is where trendy pessure groups can scream "foul" at the drop of a hat and, in reality, do the cause of equality more harm than good. All discrimination is wrong, and "positive discrimination" is as wrong as any other kind.

1 hour ago, gl1 said:

The 8% have been quiet. It's great people have been so positive towards this topic. As a gay man that means a lot. 

I would, however, like to hear from someone who agrees with the 8% why one of our players coming out would make them walk away from BCFC? Not trying to get into an argument just genuinely interested. Everyones opinion is as valid as anyone else's regardless of sex or sexuality so keep it legal, on topic and let's hear from the minority. As from a minority group myself it's important you 8%ers get to tell us why you feel the way you do. 

On the contrary. Someone's opinion isn't valid if they're part of the 8% in my book. 

29 minutes ago, Fordy62 said:

I think I'd be more likely to stop supporting city if anyone on this thread said that they would stop supporting city if we had a gay player. 

I would endorse this. I well remember, and the distaste has not been diluted, when in an FA Cup 3rd round replay v Notts County in 1984, John Chedoze, the County winger, went to fetch the ball to give it back to City having been, I think, caught offside. This sporting gesture was met with a chorus of monkey chants from loads of City fans. I applauded Chedoze and stopped going to AG for about 18 months, so disgusted was I. I did not want to be amongst such Neanderthals.

I tend to suspect that if homophobic abuse was levelled at an opposing player who was displaying similar sporting behaviour now I would react in the same fashion. I would feel sick being amongst such idiots wwho are also cowards to boot. The only thing that would prevent me from absenting myself would be if there was a significant majority of City fans who then booed the prejudiced numbskulls amongst them.

19 hours ago, 29AR said:

Smells a bit of a sample leading the story to me. I simply refuse to believe that any real, general sample which can reliably be extrapolated would yield 8 in 100 refusing to support a team. 8 in 100 village idiots, maybe. 

People answer surveys to give their opinion without worrying overmuch about the actual question.

I doubt any of that 8% would actually stop watching their team if it signed an openly gay player; they're just saying that they don't want them to do so.

41 minutes ago, Eddie Hitler said:

People answer surveys to give their opinion without worrying overmuch about the actual question.

I doubt any of that 8% would actually stop watching their team if it signed an openly gay player; they're just saying that they don't want them to do so.

You should remove the last part of your post before this turns into a guessing game about our ex players and detracts from the true subject here. That's not the point of this thread and I don't think it's your intention but that's what will happen.

10 minutes ago, Coxy27 said:

You should remove the last part of your post before this turns into a guessing game about our ex players and detracts from the true subject here. That's not the point of this thread and I don't think it's your intention but that's what will happen.

You're right.  I can no longer edit it but have requested that the mods to do so.

18 minutes ago, Betty Swallocks said:

I've never come across a straight person who's felt the need to tell me their 100% straight. 

They don't say 'by the way I am straight, heterosexual, like woman only' etc but I know plenty of blokes who make sure you know they are straight such as comments about how attractive so and so is, the calendar on the wall with the topless models, the screen savers on laptops and phones. See it all the time. Not knocking it, cest la vie. Just saying, like. 

On the flip side I would awkward displaying a naked or semi naked male calendar at work. Don't know why. Even my screen saver and phone wallpaper is non sexuality based. (Laptop rammstein picture, phone BCFC crest)

9 minutes ago, gl1 said:

They don't say 'by the way I am straight, heterosexual, like woman only' etc but I know plenty of blokes who make sure you know they are straight such as comments about how attractive so and so is, the calendar on the wall with the topless models, the screen savers on laptops and phones. See it all the time. Not knocking it, cest la vie. Just saying, like. 

On the flip side I would awkward displaying a naked or semi naked male calendar at work. Don't know why. Even my screen saver and phone wallpaper is non sexuality based. (Laptop rammstein picture, phone BCFC crest)

I think we've all had mates like that who, when an attractive woman walks into a pub and everyone around the table surreptitiously looks at her, feels the need to say "Cor, look at the norks on that" or somesuch.  It gets annoying and it's always the same bloke, it seems to be a desire to prove that they fancy women when nobody was questioning it in the first place.  After a while you begin to wonder why they need to keep demonstrating this and you go "Hmmmmm".

2 hours ago, gl1 said:

Can I make a comment, which is not meant to offend...but as a Straight White Male 'Christian', I actually feel like I'm in the minority these days. In fact, it seems if you are Straight, white, married, have kids, work and have a mortgage, you are less likely to get any kind of recognition or understanding in society....and the bottom of the list for everything.

If I was a Black Bi-Sexual with four kids from different fathers, an alcoholic or drug dependent, out of work, non Christian, on benefits...then I'd pretty much won the bleedin lottery...if you get my drift ;-)

Everyone is a 'minority' of some sort...

I feel the media and certain 'minority' organisations really don't help. It seems to be almost constantly 'in your face'...being told you have to accept this, have to accept that...and you are wrong for thinking differently. It puts people's backs up.

Why does a Gay footballer have to come out? What difference does it make? All it does is make an 'issue' of it. I couldn't give a toss whether they are or not...so why do certain people in the media or organisation's feel the need to keep making it an issue?

I bet there is not one person who has ever asked that question to a mate...as in 'would you stop supporting your team if a player was gay?' So why do the media feel the need to ask it?

Does it really trouble Gay people if a very small minority don't agree with it?

What's the problem? There are people that disagree with many things other people do and are judgemental. What difference does it make? If it offends me...so what? It's not hurt me...sticks and stones do that...since when have words and thoughts hurt?

Surely everyone should be entitled to their opinion and not have to justify to everyone one else why they feel that way? That's like a dictatorship...surely?

As for your last comment about blokes being 'insecure' around you, and having to say they like women, have topless calenders etc...why worry about them? That's their problem...why would you worry about such types.

The World is a truly mixed up place...so many different views, laws and opinions from country to country. It's a thankless task trying to get everyone to agree on anything...because we all come from different backgrounds and cultures.

Live and let live...ignore people that disagree with you...so what if they do? It's their prerogative.

People shouldn't be forced to think  a certain way. As long as they are abiding to the law and not hurting anyone physically, then life goes on.

Funnily...I had this conversation at a wedding not so long ago....where my mate got married to a girl he met in a Gay Club... ( if you are straight lads...it's a good place to pick up girls ;-) ) I was the only straight person on a table of 12. They all to a person agreed with me. But it did annoy me, that someone at the table had to bring up the question as to who was gay or not? Why? I'd have never guessed. Was a fun day though.

1 hour ago, gl1 said:

Firstly, let me just say that I believe the 8% figure mentioned/quoted is a complete nonsense.

I have not seen or read the original report, but it is surely inconceivable to think that, e.g. 8% of City's supporters, say 1,500 or so based on this season's attendances, would refuse to attend further matches if, say, they discovered (Shock, Horror!) that Tammy Abraham or Lee Tomlin were homosexual.

Just imagine. A killer ball from LT enables TA to complete his hattrick, sending City in to the play off final, only for it to be revealed that they are both homosexuals - cue a mass (1,500) boycott of the play off final? I don't think so for a moment - as I said, a complete nonsense.

There was a similar thread on here a year or so ago, and somebody (perhaps even you, GL1) mentioned that they were gay and shared seats (anonymously) with their friend in the Atyeo stand: I am pretty sure from memory that Big Tone (who else ;)?) mentioned that he knew just who they were as they occupied the two pink seats at the rear of the stand :blink:.

I found this amusing, and whilst, personally, I believe the (now wearing thin) chant of 'We can see you holding hands' to Brighton fans remains acceptable, I consider the John Terry/Costa missive from last night's West Ham/Chelsea game not only patently offensive and obscene but, frankly, not even amusing.  

So, GL1, I am not one of the (fictitious, in my opinion) 8%, but support you 100% in your search for equality. 

I find it very hard to believe this - unless the BBC mean the plastic armchair fans who probably flit from best team to best team quietly every couple of years.

I would suggest that there is more dislike against muslims than gays currently in this country and teams are full of players who are clearly muslim without any issues whatsoever.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Can I make a comment, which is not meant to offend...but as a Straight White Male 'Christian', I actually feel like I'm in the minority these days.

Statistically you're not.  Don't know if that helps.  

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

. In fact, it seems if you are Straight, white, married, have kids, work and have a mortgage, you are less likely to get any kind of recognition or understanding in society....and the bottom of the list for everything.

What kind of recognition are you after?  You may need to elaborate on exactly what it is you want to happen.

8 minutes ago, spudski said:

If I was a Black Bi-Sexual with four kids from different fathers, an alcoholic or drug dependent, out of work, non Christian, on benefits...then I'd pretty much won the bleedin lottery...if you get my drift ;-)

Let's be honest.  It probably wouldn't be quite the paradise you'd imagine...

9 minutes ago, spudski said:

Everyone is a 'minority' of some sort...

They are.  But some minorities get a tougher time than others.  Ultimately nobody should be discriminated against or disadvantaged on the basis of their ethnicity, gender, sexuality or disability.

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

I feel the media and certain 'minority' organisations really don't help. It seems to be almost constantly 'in your face'...being told you have to accept this, have to accept that...and you are wrong for thinking differently. It puts people's backs up.

In some ways I agree with you.  I think it's far better to explain to people where issues lie rather than simply telling them they are wrong.  At the same time, I refer to my last comment.  Ultimately nobody should be discriminated against or disadvantaged on the basis of their ethnicity, gender, sexuality or disability and the reality is that, if that wasn't happening, it would avoid the frustrated counter-reaction from the people who are being discriminated against.

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

Why does a Gay footballer have to come out? What difference does it make? All it does is make an 'issue' of it. I couldn't give a toss whether they are or not...so why do certain people in the media or organisation's feel the need to keep making it an issue?

In an ideal world, it would make no difference whatsoever.  But the reality is that, if you're a young person feeling isolated and alone because something sets you apart from your peers, seeing other people like you who can be role models makes a huge difference.  The simple fact is that a high-profile gay footballer would make a huge difference to gay people who wanted to get into sport, and also in challenging stereotypes about gay people.  Gareth Thomas changed a lot of people's perspectives on sexuality and what a gay man 'could' or could not do.  A gay footballer could do the same.  It shouldn't matter, of course.  But it does.

What's more, the Premier League is popular in countries where gay sex is illegal and can result in execution.  Don't underestimate the power to make a difference.

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

I bet there is not one person who has ever asked that question to a mate...as in 'would you stop supporting your team if a player was gay?' So why do the media feel the need to ask it?

Probably nobody has asked that question to a mate.  But the fact is we know there are gay footballers who don't come out (statistically there must be) so clearly fan reaction matters to those players.  Nobody should live their life feeling they need to hide who they are or who they love. 

17 minutes ago, spudski said:

Does it really trouble Gay people if a very small minority don't agree with it?

Gay people aren't a homogeneous mass.  Different people will think different things.  But there are certainly gay people who are troubled by the negative reaction they might get, especially if there is a realistic fear of physical violence mixed in with it.  Again the fact that gay footballers are not coming out backs that up.

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

What's the problem? There are people that disagree with many things other people do and are judgemental. What difference does it make? If it offends me...so what? It's not hurt me...sticks and stones do that...since when have words and thoughts hurt?

Surely everyone should be entitled to their opinion and not have to justify to everyone one else why they feel that way? That's like a dictatorship...surely?

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I don't think anyone disputed that.  But free speech extends both ways.  If someone has the right to an opinion, someone else does have the right to ask (in a non-threatening way) why they have the opinion they have. Free speech means freedom to say what you like without being persecuted or imprisoned not freedom to say what you like without questions or consequence.

23 minutes ago, spudski said:

As for your last comment about blokes being 'insecure' around you, and having to say they like women, have topless calenders etc...why worry about them? That's their problem...why would you worry about such types.

I didn't see that the poster said he was worried about them (or even called them 'insecure').  He just made the reasonable point that some heterosexual men wear their sexuality on their sleeves too.

27 minutes ago, spudski said:

The World is a truly mixed up place...so many different views, laws and opinions from country to country. It's a thankless task trying to get everyone to agree on anything...because we all come from different backgrounds and cultures.

Again, this is true.  But it's worth reflecting on the fact that you or I could go to any country in the world without a fear that we will be physically beaten, imprisoned or even killed due to who we want to have sex with.  A gay person does not have that luxury.

25 minutes ago, spudski said:

People shouldn't be forced to think  a certain way. As long as they are abiding to the law and not hurting anyone physically, then life goes on.

Indeed they should not. But neither should anyone feel unsafe, threatened or as though they need to hide who they are because of their sexuality.  And as long as that happens, this will continue to matter. 

Archived