IGNORED

FA Cup, 3rd round draw

42nite

An ideal draw. Home to a lower league team means we really should progress, and in the Cup that's all that matters.

No messing the fans around like the Hull game LJ, play a full strength team and let's make sure we win and win well.

Shrewsbury or Fleetwood fans will be coming to AG full of F.A.Cup fever expecting to see their team take on Bristol City FC, not our reserves.

And so will we.

This draw is the perfect platform for a Cup run, let's ensure we take it and hopefully put on a memorable performance to really entertain the AG crowd in the process.

38 minutes ago, bs3 said:

No it's not . Why wouldn't every ST holder not buy a ticket. I know countless people who are priced out or put off at the prices. Sale a £10 ticket people will buy it.

Well I only know 3 ST holders and I doubt any of us will be buying a ticket - even at £10. It costs me more than that in fuel to get to the ground. Plus we are gonna play a weak team and have a poor record recently in the FA Cup.

12 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I hate to say it, but, we won't get 10,000 let alone 20!

If I was in the media dept at BCFC, I would create demand , low tickets and a bit of intelligent advertising , try to create a buzz around the FA cup, only team in the West who is still in the completion etc.

If we sit back, keep saying it's a poor uninspiring drew and we should play our reserves in a competition no one cares for anymore  and there is no change to the pricing , yes then we will struggle to get 10,000.  Go the other way and see what happens!

5 minutes ago, Squeak said:

Obviously our game won't be selected for TV so you'd assume it would be at 15:00 on the Saturday. However, it seems the Gas are at home in the league at that time. Will we be allowed to play at the same time?

Probably Have To play on the Sunday... but no one tv ...

6 minutes ago, Squeak said:

Obviously our game won't be selected for TV so you'd assume it would be at 15:00 on the Saturday. However, it seems the Gas are at home in the league at that time. Will we be allowed to play at the same time?

They`re playing Northampton who are still in the cup (they have to play Stourbridge - game was postponed yesterday) but even if they do play the g*s Julie H was saying last week that each game is looked at on it`s merits and this I`m sure is one where we could both play at the same time. She as good as said that had they played Barrow on Saturday when we were playing Ipswich it would have been allowed.

8 minutes ago, kivsy said:

Ten quid an adult , and a quid a kid. Is a good shout,. Get loads of kids in , give a few tickets to local schools , also students are home, local league football shut down.   I'm taking my lad and a couple of his mates.      

Me and a few dad's at my boy's u6 local football team are looking at this game to go to for a fun day out. 

I think you'll see about half a full side. To be fair we have about 16 players that get regular game time. I'd expect Brownhill, Moore, O'Dowda and Engvall to get a go though. I'd take

Lucic

Little Flint Moore Bryan

Paterson Brownhill Pack O'Dowda

Wilbs Engvall

Id fully expect to win that as well. Teams that have taken El Abd and would've loved to have Wes Burns back. Tomlin and Tammy on the bench if we need them about an hour in. You have to give young players games and win games. It's a tough balance. I expect LJ will get it right though. 

Personal view is whether reduced prices result in 20k, 10k or 2k, giving people access to City at a lower cost, when we've the chance, makes sense. How many there are, no idea, but struggle believe there's no-one for whom half price or lower wouldn't allow them to attend a match they otherwise couldn't afford. No idea if Bristol Sport are running complex pricing models, but doing the right thing even if not perfectly pushing the price optimisation frontier doesn't seem like a bad idea (to me). Guess we need permission from Shrewsbury/Fleetwood given receipts are shared?

14 minutes ago, kivsy said:

Ten quid an adult , and a quid a kid. Is a good shout,. Get loads of kids in , give a few tickets to local schools , also students are home, local league football shut down.   I'm taking my lad and a couple of his mates.      

Nice idea but...

With gate receipts shared, we would have to pay both the FA and the opponents for these 'free' tickets (if my understanding of the rules are correct), likewise any discount to usual prices also have to be mutually agreed.

So expect fifteen quid adult, tenner concessions and maybe quid a kid.

Given that if it goes to a replay a similar pricing structure will be adopted.

1 hour ago, bs3 said:

£10  a ticket for everyone , kids £1 a ticket we will sell well over 20,000.

I'm with you on this, but I'd go further, £5 a ticket for everyone aged 16+ and free entry for under 16s if accompanied by adults. 

Early January is a hard time for most after the pressure of spending loads at Xmas, so a price structure like this would be a great gesture by the club and it would almost certainly guarantee a pretty large attendance. 

We should do all we can to ensure a big crowd, then put out a full strength side and trounce the lower league side we will face.

We ain't gonna have an intensely exciting league campaign in my opinion, I think we'll lose as many as we win and end up around 14th, so we might as well have a real go in the FA Cup and at least get to the 4th round with a confident and professional performance on and off the pitch. 

I'd rather give fringe players game time in meaningless league games if and when we are safe from relegation - and not do it in the world's oldest and most famous cup competition and put our participation in jeopardy when that isn't a risk we need to take.

We have every chance of beating the Shrews or Fleetwood and then drawing the winners of (the mighty!) Barrow or Rochdale - that is as likely as any other scenario, so let's be sensible and take this competition incredibly seriously.

The Gas have shown us (joyfully!) what can happen when you play a lower side in a stadium (tented village?!) which is less than half full.

We must be determined to avoid that and fill the stands off the pitch and fill our boots on the pitch...

6 minutes ago, bs3 said:

If I was in the media dept at BCFC, I would create demand , low tickets and a bit of intelligent advertising , try to create a buzz around the FA cup, only team in the West who is still in the completion etc.

If we sit back, keep saying it's a poor uninspiring drew and we should play our reserves in a competition no one cares for anymore  and there is no change to the pricing , yes then we will struggle to get 10,000.  Go the other way and see what happens!

Exactly, and it would also help if LJ comes out and states that the club will be taking the FA Cup extremely seriously and he'll be doing everything possible in terms of team selection to ensure we get through.

I expect thousands will already be thinking twice about attending further Cup games after being infuriated by his selection for the Hull match.

If the coach, by his team selection, seems half hearted about whether City progress in cups or not then the club should expect the same lukewarm response from the fans.

10 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Nice idea but...

With gate receipts shared, we would have to pay both the FA and the opponents for these 'free' tickets (if my understanding of the rules are correct), likewise any discount to usual prices also have to be mutually agreed.

So expect fifteen quid adult, tenner concessions and maybe quid a kid.

Given that if it goes to a replay a similar pricing structure will be adopted.

This is true. However this will be a big game for them (who ever) so they will benefit from reduced prices. Free for kids will benefit them as they still take up coach seats etc.

From our perspective, clearly we will put out a changed team, however the likes of Brownhill and Odowda will have their chance as will Engval and Moore. 

Our reserves are pretty good for a match like this.

26 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

Exactly, and it would also help if LJ comes out and states that the club will be taking the FA Cup extremely seriously and he'll be doing everything possible in terms of team selection to ensure we get through.

I expect thousands will already be thinking twice about attending further Cup games after being infuriated by his selection for the Hull match.

If the coach, by his team selection, seems half hearted about whether City progress in cups or not then the club should expect the same lukewarm response from the fans.

Good grief, what a load of nonsense. Aside from the fact that the starting 11 included about 8/9 first teamers I very much doubt that 'thousands' were infuriated, particularly given the second half performance was probably our best in the whole of October!

On the subject of playing weakened teams in cup competitions though, out of interest, how many of our Championship rivals do you think will field full strength teams in R3 come January?

16 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Good grief, what a load of nonsense. Aside from the fact that the starting 11 included about 8/9 first teamers I very much doubt that 'thousands' were infuriated, particularly given the second half performance was probably our best in the whole of November!

On the subject of playing weakened teams in cup competitions though, out of interest, how many of our Championship rivals do you think will field full strength teams in R3 come January?

Completely agree Kid. I don`t get this so called `infuriated` reaction from `thousands`. I certainly didn`t see it and thoroughly enjoyed the game. In fact I can`t recall anyone around me complaining about playing our `reserves`. We played some lovely stuff second half and it was probably the most exciting last ten I`ve seen all season.

I didn`t spend my whole 110 mile journey home feeling I`d been cheated in some way, I thought it was bloody good value for twelve quid.

21 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Good grief, what a load of nonsense. Aside from the fact that the starting 11 included about 8/9 first teamers I very much doubt that 'thousands' were infuriated, particularly given the second half performance was probably our best in the whole of November!

I agree with the general point, but there was a hell of a lot of moaning on here about the team selection for Hull.

Mostly from people who hadn't actually gone, but still....

5 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

Completely agree Kid. I don`t get this so called `infuriated` reaction from `thousands`. I certainly didn`t see it and thoroughly enjoyed the game. In fact I can`t recall anyone around me complaining about playing our `reserves`. We played some lovely stuff second half and it was probably the most exciting last ten I`ve seen all season.

I didn`t spend my whole 110 mile journey home feeling I`d been cheated in some way, I thought it was bloody good value for twelve quid.

In the echo chamber that is OTIB it only takes one person on a match day thread to state how infuriated they are with the team selection, from the comfort of their bedroom, for all hell to break lose.

Fact is, those of us there saw 11 players (8 of which are first teamers) desperate to win for the club and put in a really spirited second half display whilst also seeing exciting glimpses from Engvall, Moore and McCoulsky when he came on. I'm sure we'll see those players involved again in the FA Cup this season.

1 hour ago, Malago said:

Even at £10 a ticket will struggle to get 12/13000.

Fair enough, but if that's the case we have zero right to laugh, like many of us did, at the 4k gasheads who turned up at their FA cup tie yesterday. If we get the pricing structure right (I'd go with £5 for adults, kids free) then we could get a really healthy crowd.

Newcastle got 50k at home for a midweek league cup tie against a team from the same division in a city with a far lower population than ours...

Would suggest that with the draw , both in terms of our tie and a few all prem ties there already looks like it could be a year for a Championship side to get to , or close to, Wembley

IF we take the Cup seriously and with a tad of fortune draw wise this could be a year for us to have a run

Personally I don't think we are good enough at present to make Play Offs and if I was SL or LJ I'd be eyeing a serious approach to the FA Cup this Year

Archived