IGNORED

FA Cup, 3rd round draw

42nite

32 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Would suggest that with the draw , both in terms of our tie and a few all prem ties there already looks like it could be a year for a Championship side to get to , or close to, Wembley

IF we take the Cup seriously and with a tad of fortune draw wise this could be a year for us to have a run

Personally I don't think we are good enough at present to make Play Offs and if I was SL or LJ I'd be eyeing a serious approach to the FA Cup this Year

We may have little chance of success in either endeavour but have to give both our best shot .... or else what's the point of being in it?  You have, as they say, got to be in it to win it....

Why else would any of us buy the occasional  lottery ticket, scratch card, have a bet 'against the odds' ..... Cardiff proved it can be done a couple of years ago, Bournemouth proved it can be done (with a bit of extra luck of course) Leicester... well enough said....  We are in it, we pays our money lets take our chances, pointless if we dont give it a go. Try telling Barrow dreams dont come true..

PS..  Hull ain't gonna realistically 'win it' but ultimately their little win over us (in an unexpectedly highly exciting game when it got going btw ) has won them and their fans probably everyones dream draw of home and away games against Man Utd... it ain't always about lifting the trophy at Wembley.

LJ says he's taking it seriously and he's going to play the strongest 11.

We lose 1-0 in a drab scrappy affair with Tomlin sent off and an injury to Freeman who by this tie has proved himself to be 'on fire' since popping his Ashton Gate cherry.

Anything better than the above scenario will do me fine thanks, getting a lower division team is hardly ever good.

24 minutes ago, WhistleHappy said:

We may have little chance of success in either endeavour but have to give both our best shot .... or else what's the point of being in it?  You have, as they say, got to be in it to win it....

Why else would any of us buy the occasional  lottery ticket, scratch card, have a bet 'against the odds' ..... Cardiff proved it can be done a couple of years ago, Bournemouth proved it can be done (with a bit of extra luck of course) Leicester... well enough said....  We are in it, we pays our money lets take our chances, pointless if we dont give it a go. Try telling Barrow dreams dont come true..

PS..  Hull ain't gonna realistically 'win it' but ultimately their little win over us (in an unexpectedly highly exciting game when it got going btw ) has won them and their fans probably everyones dream draw of home and away games against Man Utd... it ain't always about lifting the trophy at Wembley.

Being a little harsh on Hull I think. Past few years they've been a really good cup team but I get your point. 

Personally I don't think you can plan for anything in a season anyway. Just take it one game at a time. For this one, I'd use it as an opportunity to play a few younger guys. If we get through and draw someone tougher, I play a team I think suits it. If that makes sense. I don't know about playoffs or a cup run and neither does anyone else. Take it a game at a time and bring your squad along as you seem fit. 

Should be brave, big it up, charge a tenner a head/ two quid concessions..... get bumper crowd for an unattractive game

sell shed load of munchies and drinks etc etc ....  must be well promoted though with a sense of excitement.

With a pledge that should we progress and get another home tie in the same competition get a discount on that games ticket price, equivalent to the price paid for this one, ie either £10 or £2 off ticket price for all who attended the 3rd tie... the extra refreshment sales created by thousands of extra customers will offset expenses incurred... 

Get it right .... could be onto a winner -in more ways than one.

Only way this fixture would ever have even vaguely sold out AG is if it were:

1. the replay after an entertaining draw away from home.

2. the draw showed the winners of this tie were to play one of the top prem teams at home.

3. You had to have your stub for this tie to get into the next.

4. Tickets were still only £10

Would think its going to be Fleetwood-i don't see them slipping up in the home replay.

A quick look at their league one season as far shows almost a copy of our own-bit in and out results wise but very competitive, have only lost by more than the odd goal on one occasion..sound familiar?

At £10 a pop(hopefully) this could be an interesting game..

Fun bit is they lost at the mem,just so you all know the score on this one!

Difficult to get enthusiastic about this one.  Not sure there's a price that will get anyone to go, but will be interesting to see how the suits in the marketing department will try and polish what appears to be the unpolishable. 

Not sure that a home draw against either of these teams is an advantage, an away draw could've possibly been on the telly and we could all stayed at home and watched it in front of the fire, plus no queue to get a cup of tea or the loo. 

Might watch it on pay per view for a fiver.

Not even sure I would bother to turn up if was picked to play centre forward. 

Re pricing, when Fleetwood went to Shrewsbury for the match on Saturday these were the prices:

Adult: £15 (Season Ticket holder purchased up to 48 hours in advance £12)

Senior/19-21: £12 (Season Ticket holder purchased up to 48 hours in advance £9)

16-18s: £5 (Season Ticket holder purchased up to 48 hours in advance  £2 for ST holders)

9-15s: £2 (For all)

U8s: Free

There are no details of the return match yet but it would likely to be very similar wouldn't it? Shrewsburys ground holds 9875 whilst Fleetwoods is only 5327

I expect if we went to either of their grounds they would charge their fans at least that if not more to see a Championship club. If we for example look at a £10 adult, £5 concession etc and can fit 27,000 in and they would have to agree surely it's better to sell cheap and fill the seats rather than have 5000 fans at £20 a ticket. 

And we need to get the job done, don't fancy an away trip to Fleetwood (although Shrewsbury wouldn't be so bad distance wise) midweek in January, for players or fans.

As for the teams clubs put out, depends on who is cup tied maybe, transfer window just round the corner, maybe a factor for some?

41 minutes ago, Lord Northski said:

Could be worse I suppose. You could wake up this morning as an actual Fleetwood or Shrewsbury fan and know that you've got to watch them for the remainder of your life. Fortunately we only have to watch them once (probably) or as most suggest, not at all.

I don't think that's bad at all, if they are your team they are your team. If you support them because of where you were born, just 'adopted' them or have any connection I would rather someone supported a team because of those reasons than a wannabe plastic gloryhunting sheep  

1 hour ago, Robert the bruce said:

£10 adults,u18's/seniors-free

Away supporters(adults)£5.....

They might not want low prices . . . they only take Gate Receipts, so no incentive of lower ticket prices to sell stuff inside the ground.

When I was at Weston we had a situation where we wanted to set the price below the normal £10 rate (as it was then!) and the club we were playing didn't want the price reduced.

5 hours ago, Lord Northski said:

Could be worse I suppose. You could wake up this morning as an actual Fleetwood or Shrewsbury fan and know that you've got to watch them for the remainder of your life. Fortunately we only have to watch them once (probably) or as most suggest, not at all.

For a good part of my 50 years supporting City  I am pretty sure fans of many other clubs would have said the same of us.

18 hours ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Good grief, what a load of nonsense. Aside from the fact that the starting 11 included about 8/9 first teamers I very much doubt that 'thousands' were infuriated, particularly given the second half performance was probably our best in the whole of October!

I see, well here's some more 'nonsense' which you'll no doubt enjoy scoffing at.

It was a 16,000 crowd so suggesting 'thousands were infuriated' isn't outlandish at all. That would only equate to 1 in 7 or 8, a very reasonable estimate judging by the reaction to the starting line up of those around me at AG, the many comments on OTIB post match, and indeed a number on this very thread.

The starting team LJ put out was 2-0 down and only eventually created some real excitement, and 'gave it a real go' in the 2nd half after Tammy and Tomlin came on. So there's no validity in you suggesting 'the best 2nd half performance in the whole of October' was in anyway due to the failing starting line up - we only started to really have a go at Hull after 2 of our best attacking players were belatedly introduced. The storming finish to the game doesn't detract from the feeling of disappointment that we could have done so much better had we not put out such a weakened team.

In fact, imo., it only goes to underline that Hull were very beatable had we started with our best players.

What other Championship teams may or may not do in similar circumstances is of limited interest to me. Bristol City reaching that stage in a national cup competition is a very rare event ( this was our best run in the League Cup for 27 years) so LJ should have shown he was deadly serious about the match by picking all our top players, with the intention of taking the game to Hull from the start, rather than bringing on our most influential forward players as subs. in a desperate attempt to rescue a losing situation at 2-0 down.

Putting out a weakened team and (in the end) being seen as gallant losers may be enough to send some fans home content but for those of us who see a prolonged cup run as a potential high point of the season - rather than perhaps an inconvenience - it was a great opportunity which we failed to take seriously enough.The night, bar the last 15 minutes or so, was an anti climax in front of a noticeably subdued first half crowd on what should have been an occasion to remember.

There will certainly be City fans who, like me, will have seen that selection as being a real let down which they'll bear in mind when deciding whether to attend future Cup games where a similarly depleted line up may be picked, and that can't be a good thing for the club going forward.

42 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I see, well here's some more 'nonsense' which you'll no doubt enjoy scoffing at.

It was a 16,000 crowd so suggesting 'thousands were infuriated' isn't outlandish at all. That would only equate to 1 in 7 or 8, a very reasonable estimate judging by the reaction to the starting line up of those around me at AG, the many comments on OTIB post match, and indeed a number on this very thread.

The starting team LJ put out was 2-0 down and only eventually created some real excitement, and 'gave it a real go' in the 2nd half after Tammy and Tomlin came on. So there's no validity in you suggesting 'the best 2nd half performance in the whole of October' was in anyway due to the failing starting line up - we only started to really have a go at Hull after 2 of our best attacking players were belatedly introduced. The storming finish to the game doesn't detract from the feeling of disappointment that we could have done so much better had we not put out such a weakened team.

In fact, imo., it only goes to underline that Hull were very beatable had we started with our best players.

What other Championship teams may or may not do in similar circumstances is of limited interest to me. Bristol City reaching that stage in a national cup competition is a very rare event ( this was our best run in the League Cup for 27 years) so LJ should have shown he was deadly serious about the match by picking all our top players, with the intention of taking the game to Hull from the start, rather than bringing on our most influential forward players as subs. in a desperate attempt to rescue a losing situation at 2-0 down.

Putting out a weakened team and (in the end) being seen as gallant losers may be enough to send some fans home content but for those of us who see a prolonged cup run as a potential high point of the season - rather than perhaps an inconvenience - it was a great opportunity which we failed to take seriously enough.The night, bar the last 15 minutes or so, was an anti climax in front of a noticeably subdued first half crowd on what should have been an occasion to remember.

There will certainly be City fans who, like me, will have seen that selection as being a real let down which they'll bear in mind when deciding whether to attend future Cup games where a similarly depleted line up may be picked, and that can't be a good thing for the club going forward.

Well written Noggers and exactly reflects my own feelings.

So we've got 3 games in 8 days over the holiday period... 2 away to Wolves and Ipswich of which an evening game, and then home to Reading. Four days later we play Fleetwood or Shrewsbury and certain people want what they consider our best players to be picked.:facepalm:

I suggest those people take their head out of their 1970's football bubble and see it for what it is.

The team selected, will be those deemed fit enough and good enough to beat whoever we are playing.

It's a squad game these days. Every player in our squad is capable of beating either Fleetwood or Shrews...hence playing for a Championship team.

If you don't give 'Squad' players a chance to prove themselves in Cup games, when else are they going to be given a chance?

We all know what our  regular 'First Teamers' can do, so why not enjoy watching what our non regulars can do against such opposition?

We all watch the 'first teamers' week in week out. we all know what they can do.

As a Bristol City fan, why not enjoy seeing our squad players having a bit of the limelight and a challenge under pressure?

I'd love to watch the likes of Lucic, Ekstrand, Brownhill, Moore, Engval, De Girolamo or any new January signing or Academy player etc.

I find it sad that a vocal minority only want to watch what they consider to be our very best playing. We are a Club, not just a first team.

Can just see it now...Tammy or Tomlin being hacked down by Adam el Abd for Shrews or such like...

21 minutes ago, spudski said:

So we've got 3 games in 8 days over the holiday period... 2 away to Wolves and Ipswich of which an evening game, and then home to Reading. Four days later we play Fleetwood or Shrewsbury and certain people want what they consider our best players to be picked.:facepalm:

I suggest those people take their head out of their 1970's football bubble and see it for what it is.

The team selected, will be those deemed fit enough and good enough to beat whoever we are playing.

It's a squad game these days. Every player in our squad is capable of beating either Fleetwood or Shrews...hence playing for a Championship team.

If you don't give 'Squad' players a chance to prove themselves in Cup games, when else are they going to be given a chance?

We all know what our  regular 'First Teamers' can do, so why not enjoy watching what our non regulars can do against such opposition?

We all watch the 'first teamers' week in week out. we all know what they can do.

As a Bristol City fan, why not enjoy seeing our squad players having a bit of the limelight and a challenge under pressure?

I'd love to watch the likes of Lucic, Ekstrand, Brownhill, Moore, Engval, De Girolamo or any new January signing or Academy player etc.

I find it sad that a vocal minority only want to watch what they consider to be our very best playing. We are a Club, not just a first team.

Can just see it now...Tammy or Tomlin being hacked down by Adam el Abd for Shrews or such like...

I think most are saying we should have played our strongest line up in the last 16 of the league cup. Fully expect to see a few fringe players in this cup game.

3 minutes ago, Super said:

I think most are saying we should of played our strongest line up in the last 16 of the league cup. Fully expect to see a few fringe players in this cup game.

Most of a very small minority, not majority I should hazard a guess.

The majority of football fans see modern football for what is nowadays. A squad game, and unless you are the likes of Shrewsbury, you aren't going to be putting your 'strongest' side out in Cup games. League takes precedence whether we like it or not.

Tbh...I couldn't tell you who won the League or FA cup last season...I'd have to look it up. Both Cups are fond memories from the past, however much the BBC try to make it all 'Romantic'. It just isn't the same any more...in the same way the National side is deemed less important by fans.

Just as an aside, if we gave tickets away for free do you think 23,000 home fans would turn up?  If you think yes, There's an economic argument for such an approach given that the income from inside the ground may be greater than charging £10 a ticket with a crowd less than half that size.  We'd have to agree to payoff the opposition but it would an interesting marketing excercise.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

Most of a very small minority, not majority I should hazard a guess.

The majority of football fans see modern football for what is nowadays. A squad game, and unless you are the likes of Shrewsbury, you aren't going to be putting your 'strongest' side out in Cup games. League takes precedence whether we like it or not.

Tbh...I couldn't tell you who won the League or FA cup last season...I'd have to look it up. Both Cups are fond memories from the past, however much the BBC try to make it all 'Romantic'. It just isn't the same any more...in the same way the National side is deemed less important by fans.

How many times have you stated that most football fans haven't got a bloody clue about modern football. Strange you now change this to suit your argument. Every round from here on in is scattered with     "big" clubs resting key players and getting a good hiding for their arrogance.We all want the best for our club and advancing in the competition is key if we are to grow. We are still a small club compared to most of the Premiership and really shouldn't be taking any sort of gamble at ant stage of the competition if we want a bigger national profile. I know the squad players will do their best if picked, but they should only be called on when injuries or tactics require it, not to give players rest days.

4 minutes ago, Ashtonboy said:

How many times have you stated that most football fans haven't got a bloody clue about modern football. Strange you now change this to suit your argument. Every round from here on in is scattered with     "big" clubs resting key players and getting a good hiding for their arrogance.We all want the best for our club and advancing in the competition is key if we are to grow. We are still a small club compared to most of the Premiership and really shouldn't be taking any sort of gable at ant stage of the competition if we want a bigger national profile. I know the squad players will do their best if picked, but they should only be called on when injuries or tactics require it, not to give players rest days.

The majority of football fans understand why Cup games are played the way they are these days.

That is totally different to the majority of football fans not understanding the intricacies of how a football club runs, or why players do certain things on the pitch.

That is not a slight on fans, as most aren't interested in that, or have the time to find out why. Plus football clubs don't easily offer the information.

Archived