IGNORED

Jens Hegeler - Now Officially Signed!

Robson

7 hours ago, Dynamite Red said:

Translated from the Hertha Berlin website

"He is a player that can be used in several positions - whether this is in defense, in central midfield, on the outer positions or even a little further forward in midfield." 

But what's he like on the radio?

11 hours ago, Richard Head said:

I don't think LJ is a bullsh**er. No young manager arrives fully formed. Fergie was on the brink of being sacked by Man U early in his career. LJ (and I guess SL and MA) has realised that the club's commitment to developing young players comes at a cost, they need experienced players alongside them, and sometimes to go out on loan to develop. I am prepared to sit this out and see what happens in the second half of the season. We have 21 games to go and he always said it would take three windows to get the squad he wants. We'll see.

Agreed.

From Berlin media this morning, backs up most of what we've heard:

Jens Hegeler is set to go to England. At Hertha, the midfielder had never been able to secure a home place since his arrival in 2014. As his contract ends in Berlin in June, the paths will be separated now. Manager Preetz expects that Hegeler is no longer here today. Hegeler graduated from the mandatory medical check at Bristol City, table 18 on Monday. The championship, the second League in England, in which 24 teams play. The transfer is valued at 300,000 euros. 

58 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

From Berlin media this morning, backs up most of what we've heard:

Jens Hegeler is set to go to England. At Hertha, the midfielder had never been able to secure a home place since his arrival in 2014. As his contract ends in Berlin in June, the paths will be separated now. Manager Preetz expects that Hegeler is no longer here today. Hegeler graduated from the mandatory medical check at Bristol City, table 18 on Monday. The championship, the second League in England, in which 24 teams play. The transfer is valued at 300,000 euros. 

300,000 Euros...blimey...sounds too good to be true. I'm really excited about this signing. Only from what I've watched on the net, he looks decent and exactly what we need.

He's got that 'German' arrogance about him...a no messing quality.

When was the last time we had a German play for us?

My fathers favourite City player was a German...Alec Eisentrager.

Quite a fierce backbone appearing... Iceland, Germany and Bosnia...they all like a scrap ;-)

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

300,000 Euros...blimey...sounds too good to be true. I'm really excited about this signing. Only from what I've watched on the net, he looks decent and exactly what we need.

Quite a fierce backbone appearing... Iceland, Germany and Bosnia...they all like a scrap ;-)

Yes, I don't buy into the idea that we 'need' to be signing Championship experienced players ready for the fight. If we get Hegeler and/or Djuric they come ready with bags of Bundesliga, and Serie A/B, champions league and international experience. 

Fingers crossed these come off.

24 minutes ago, spudski said:

Just don't mention the war .

12 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Yes, I don't buy into the idea that we 'need' to be signing Championship experienced players ready for the fight. If we get Hegeler and/or Djuric they come ready with bags of Bundesliga, and Serie A/B, champions league and international experience. 

Fingers crossed these come off.

Even foreign players say football in England is different. Magnusson has talked about having to adapt to a more physical game. What we don't know is whether these players can adapt like he has. That is why they are more of a gamble. Seems we just won't/can't pay the price (wages) for proven championship players though.

4 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Even foreign players say football in England is different. Magnusson has talked about having to adapt to a more physical game. What we don't know is whether these players can adapt like he has. That is why they are more of a gamble. Seems we just won't/can't pay the price (wages) for proven championship players though.

If we made this signing in the summer, we'd be much more excited I think. 

The wages in the English leagues are a shocking waste of money - yes, it's valuable to have players with English experience, but if we can get potentially much better players for a fraction of the cost, I'd still make that move. At 6'4 too, hopefully the physicality of the league shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I'm interested to know whether he'll be signed as a CB, or the Khaliffa Cisse figure that LJ mentioned earlier in the season. If so, could be saying goodbye to Smith or Pack.

6 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Don't think this is entirely true - O'Neil, Golbourne, Tomlin, Paterson off the top of my head are proven championship players, all with mixed levels of impact here. 

Buying these types of players doesn't seem to give you that much more guarantee than equivalent foreign signings. 

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Don't think this is entirely true - O'Neil, Golbourne, Tomlin, Paterson off the top of my head are proven championship players, all with mixed levels of impact here. 

Buying these types of players doesn't seem to give you that much more guarantee than equivalent foreign signings. 

See what you are saying and Tomlin yes we pushed the limits for him. SG was deemed not good enough by Wolves and the same with Patterson at Forest. They were squad players whose club felt weren't worth keeping which isn't really what I'm saying we need. GON is at the end of a long career and looks like his legs have gone.

14 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

See what you are saying and Tomlin yes we pushed the limits for him. SG was deemed not good enough by Wolves and the same with Patterson at Forest. They were squad players whose club felt weren't worth keeping which isn't really what I'm saying we need. GON is at the end of a long career and looks like his legs have gone.

Yes this is a fair analysis of those players right now, but at the time we were DELIGHTED to get GON and Golbourne and many at Forest (and Huddersfield who had him and loan and would have liked him back) were sad to see Paterson join us. 

So as I was saying, these were all perceived as good 'championship' quality signings at the time, but it doesn't always work out. 

The very best championship players, and now to some extent League 1 players (i.e talk of Zac Clough to Boro) are moving for crazy money to clubs we can't compete with right now financially. 

So we go abroad or take just as much a gamble for average 'championship' players like the ones we have and hope they improve. 

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Stefan Maierhoffer? And he ended up playing in goal.

Archived