IGNORED

Jens Hegeler - Now Officially Signed!

Robson

9 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Ah right thanks. I was only a nipper then but can remember him scoring from the touchline i think . Boxing day game perhaps ? 

Not sure if that was his debut, but his first touch of the ball he was offside, the second he took the ball and scored from a very tight angle from outside the penalty area. He seemed to be the answer to all our problems as he was a left footed midfield player which we really lacked in those days. Shame Dicks defensive approach meant he got disheartened by being on the bench for every away game.

5 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

Not sure if that was his debut, but his first touch of the ball he was offside, the second he took the ball and scored from a very tight angle from outside the penalty area. He seemed to be the answer to all our problems as he was a left footed midfield player which we really lacked in those days. Shame Dicks defensive approach meant he got disheartened by being on the bench for every away game.

Got a feeling it was Birmingham that game and we won 4-0 might be wrong though.

50 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I posted earlier that we seem to be throwing our transfer policy up in the air.  I don't mind 2/3 coming in like this guy, but lets not forget some gems in this country.

But the gems in this country cost about 5 times what they should...

Apologies if this had already been posted, but as I was struggling to find any footage of Hegeler at all apart from a Champions League freekick, I thought I'd see how much he's been playing.

He's made 6 appearances this season, only starting 2. He's scored none and assisted none, but that's to be expected as the two games he started were at CB. In one of those, Hertha lost 2-0, although that was against the notorious RB Leipzig. In the other, Hertha kept a clean sheet.

So what does that say? Not a lot, really. Both his starts were in December, so you could say he has match fitness. Normally 6 appearances in a season would be considered quite poor, but Hertha are unbelievably 3rd in the table behind Bayern and Leipzig, so for him to still be getting a couple of starts for them in defence is pretty promising for us. Good age at 28, good height at 6'4. I really do wish I could find some decent footage of him though...

8 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

Apologies if this had already been posted, but as I was struggling to find any footage of Hegeler at all apart from a Champions League freekick, I thought I'd see how much he's been playing.

He's made 6 appearances this season, only starting 2. He's scored none and assisted none, but that's to be expected as the two games he started were at CB. In one of those, Hertha lost 2-0, although that was against the notorious RB Leipzig. In the other, Hertha kept a clean sheet.

So what does that say? Not a lot, really. Both his starts were in December, so you could say he has match fitness. Normally 6 appearances in a season would be considered quite poor, but Hertha are unbelievably 3rd in the table behind Bayern and Leipzig, so for him to still be getting a couple of starts for them in defence is pretty promising for us. Good age at 28, good height at 6'4. I really do wish I could find some decent footage of him though...

Shows he's versatile and obviously decent if he's played in the Bundesliga. Is he a defensive midfielder normally ?

6 minutes ago, steviestevieneville said:

Shows he's versatile and obviously decent if he's played in the Bundesliga. Is he a defensive midfielder normally ?

I really don't know - if you go on TransferMarkt (which is pretty reliable), it tells you how many games he's played in certain positions. He looks like he's basically played all over the place throughout his career. Midfield seems to be where he's played the most though, either as a defensive or attacking central midfielder.

5 minutes ago, Luxo Jr. said:

I really don't know - if you go on TransferMarkt (which is pretty reliable), it tells you how many games he's played in certain positions. He looks like he's basically played all over the place throughout his career. Midfield seems to be where he's played the most though, either as a defensive or attacking central midfielder.

OK thanks

So I've spoken to my German friend who I was working with tonight - he is a Herta fan.

He said of Hegeler (pronounced like, if anyone cares, Hay-ge-ler) that he was a main stay in the team for a long period, defensive midfielder who can fill in at centre back.

He said he is not the kind of player to score goals or pick out the wonder pass, but does all the necessary unseen, dirty work breaking up the play and covering the back four.

Has fallen out of the first team as stronger players have come in.

3 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

So I've spoken to my German friend who I was working with tonight - he is a Herta fan.

He said of Hegeler (pronounced like, if anyone cares, Hay-ge-ler) that he was a main stay in the team for a long period, defensive midfielder who can fill in at centre back.

He said he is not the kind of player to score goals or pick out the wonder pass, but does all the necessary unseen, dirty work breaking up the play and covering the back four.

So in other words, he may well also be the perfect type of signing to play just in front of a back 3 (if other rumours are being interpreted correctly). 

6 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

Khaliffa Cisse, basically. Sounds perfect.

On 02/01/2017 at 20:59, Richard Head said:

I don't think LJ is a bullsh**er. No young manager arrives fully formed. Fergie was on the brink of being sacked by Man U early in his career. LJ (and I guess SL and MA) has realised that the club's commitment to developing young players comes at a cost, they need experienced players alongside them, and sometimes to go out on loan to develop. I am prepared to sit this out and see what happens in the second half of the season. We have 21 games to go and he always said it would take three windows to get the squad he wants. We'll see.

This is the camp I am in, however frustrating it is currently I've seen enough to know we are soon to be a very good team. These young players will learn from this current run.

We often say we have to give young players time, surely the same applies to younger managers also??

5 minutes ago, Taz said:

So in other words, he may well also be the perfect type of signing to play just in front of a back 3 (if other rumours are being interpreted correctly). 

Could well be. But personally I don't think we have a good enough right wing back to play 5-3-2 yet. 

Archived