IGNORED

Second Season in charge...

spudski

3 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Be more specific, spud. Be very specific. What exactly have you seen "on the pitch" that gives you this confidence?

I'd be here all night mate. But in short...I see a talented but raw young squad of players. Many have flaws...but what I witnessed on Saturday, confirmed what I believe...they have the talent, and desire and were willing to be well drilled and disciplined and play to a plan. Mistakes happened through lack of experience imo...and a lack of confidence in some of the players own ability started to show.

But there was enough there to see, that with a few new additions around that inexperience, we can improve and get the results we are looking for.

I see lack of ability in a few players, but nothing a change of tactics or new manager could change. All three goals came from individual errors...not tactics or anything the manager had done.

LJ knows where the weaknesses are...he'll bring in the right type of players to turn it around, to compliment the talent we already have.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'd be here all night mate. But in short...I see a talented but raw young squad of players. Many have flaws...but what I witnessed on Saturday, confirmed what I believe...they have the talent, and desire and were willing to be well drilled and disciplined and play to a plan. Mistakes happened through lack of experience imo...and a lack of confidence in some of the players own ability started to show.

But there was enough there to see, that with a few new additions around that inexperience, we can improve and get the results we are looking for.

I see lack of ability in a few players, but nothing a change of tactics or new manager could change. All three goals came from individual errors...not tactics or anything the manager had done.

LJ knows where the weaknesses are...he'll bring in the right type of players to turn it around, to compliment the talent we already have.

I agree totally good points. What was worrying saturday is the amount of space we gave them in the area. 1st goal we allowed the scorer to turn in the box unchallenged

20 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'd suggest Spud , as in a high number of goals we've been conceding it's a combination of individual errors & players not appearing to understand positioning and their roles (More errors)

A worrying trait , wouldnt you agree

You can normally get away with a single error but when you analyse the goals you can see error after error all over the place - I can accept errors but can't believe they keep getting repeated time and time again )

13 minutes ago, spudski said:

LJ bought about 9 new players in the summer, so I'm presuming he felt he knew where our weaknesses were then?, otherwise why sign all those players.

Why would anyone have confidence that once again he knows our weaknesses. Why didn't the players he signed get rid of these weaknesses. Or does he just not know and he's buying more players in the 'hope' he may strike lucky.

5 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

LJ bought about 9 new players in the summer, so I'm presuming he felt he knew where our weaknesses were then?, otherwise why sign all those players.

Why would anyone have confidence that once again he knows our weaknesses. Why didn't the players he signed get rid of these weaknesses. Or does he just not know and he's buying more players in the 'hope' he may strike lucky.

I did smile when he said at w/e he can't ever pick the side he really wants as he has to compromise somewhere on 'power' , or height or technical ability

I did at least then realise we were looking for eleven young players who are the height of Crouch , the power of Viera , with the skill of Sanchez !!!!!!!

;)

34 minutes ago, spudski said:

I can see loads on the pitch that shows promise.

If you can't see it on the pitch JD...then I worry for you.

I think we had this exact same conversation this morning and drew a blank so I don't want to resurrect it for your sake more than mine (plus I think JD picked the baton up!) - but let me try another related tact. If you're excited about the promise shown by players on the pitch, is it not possible that LJ is actually the one stifling them, denying you from seeing this promise being realised and players flourish? Logic says its possible, and one thing I've been fairly consistent in saying recently home and away is that the players are playing within themselves, i.e. evidently capable of more. One thing we're not is a team of wasters.

These players who you're so excited by, by and large were playing better and doing better at the start of the season when they barely knew one another and had not been extensively coached by LJ. I was on the record at the time saying despite winning I was not comfortable with the tactics. My interpretation is we did well at times in spite of LJ, not because of him. The promise we've all seen has surely diminished not grown this past 2 months. I'm not asking you to alter your view any more than I'm able to change mine, just throwing it out there that promise on the pitch is not incompatible with the manager not being up to it.

21 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I'd suggest Spud , as in a high number of goals we've been conceding it's a combination of individual errors & players not appearing to understand positioning and their roles (More errors)

A worrying trait , wouldnt you agree

You can normally get away with a single error but when you analyse the goals you can see error after error all over the place - I can accept errors but can't believe they keep getting repeated time and time again )

I think it's a combination of many things mate...players making mistakes through, tiredness, lack of mobility, lack of awareness, still carrying injuries, lack of confidence, positioning, relying on others. As an example...Flint...he's been a tower of strength all season. He's played nearly every game. Does so many things right...but two goals on Saturday, he was ball watching and let his man have space to turn and shoot. Can't be blamed for the errors that led up to the passes...but it's that type of thing that's killing us. Great for the majority of the game...then two lapses. Like you say...it happens all the time. And usually from the same players unfortunately.

19 minutes ago, Olé said:

I think we had this exact same conversation this morning and drew a blank so I don't want to resurrect it for your sake more than mine (plus I think JD picked the baton up!) - but let me try another related tact. If you're excited about the promise shown by players on the pitch, is it not possible that LJ is actually the one stifling them, denying you from seeing this promise being realised and players flourish? Logic says its possible, and one thing I've been fairly consistent in saying recently home and away is that the players are playing within themselves, i.e. evidently capable of more. One thing we're not is a team of wasters.

These players who you're so excited by, by and large were playing better and doing better at the start of the season when they barely knew one another and had not been extensively coached by LJ. I was on the record at the time saying despite winning I was not comfortable with the tactics. My interpretation is we did well at times in spite of LJ, not because of him. The promise we've all seen has surely diminished not grown this past 2 months. I'm not asking you to alter your view any more than I'm able to change mine, just throwing it out there that promise on the pitch is not incompatible with the manager not being up to it.

Funnily our poor run has come about since the introduction of our new Coach Holden. Like I said before Ole...I don't think it's tactics, but individual errors that are our problem. And that can be down to many things. I'm not saying LJ is perfect...but what do you do as a manager,  he was screaming at the players to keep pressing on Saturday, but they kept getting deeper and deeper? It needed a man out their to marshal it on the pitch...right now we don't have one. Hopefully LJ will sort that.

19 minutes ago, spudski said:

That was lovely spud, but it wasn't specific. I'd call all that rather vague generalisations: "talented but raw young squad;" "many have flaws;" "willing to be well drilled and disciplined;" "mistakes happened through lack of experience;" "a lack of confidence;" "there was enough there to see;" "I see lack of ability in a few players;" "LJ knows where the weaknesses are"

Off the top of my head, a couple of things that caught my eye yesterday:

I thought that Brownhill showed glimpses of anticipation v Reading; he showed athleticism and speed of thought and movement - which maybe you don't see from Pack, for example. Or even Korey this season - to nick the ball away from his opponent and set us away on the counter. Encouraging.

I saw Joe show speed and control, he carried the ball over distance and got us "up the pitch" and threatened their back line; he showed he can shoot, and that he has something to offer in attack. We have seen him cross the ball very well too. He is versatile, but is this helping him?

Little displayed physicality - possibly under valued by LJ up til now - and committment. These are still qualities we need in spades, as you mentioned elsewhere on the forum. A lesson for Lee here, perhaps. Mark also made a clear determination to close the winger down, blocking a number of crosses. Something Matthews is more casual about.

Tammy was consistently isolated. When the ball was played up to him from say the centre backs, he had a defender right behind him and a midfielder right in front, stopping him from bringing the ball down to his feet from his head or chest. Where was the runner so that he could lay it off with one touch? This happens over and over. Not encouraging.

I think there are some positives, but are there enough? We are losing games hand over fist and dropping alarmingly. We need some additions to the first team, not the squad. Here's hoping

12 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

That was lovely spud, but it wasn't specific. I'd call all that rather vague generalisations: "talented but raw young squad;" "many have flaws;" "willing to be well drilled and disciplined;" "mistakes happened through lack of experience;" "a lack of confidence;" "there was enough there to see;" "I see lack of ability in a few players;" "LJ knows where the weaknesses are"

I thought that Brownhill showed glimpses of anticipation v Reading; he showed athleticism and speed of thought and movement - which maybe you don't see from Pack, for example. Or even Korey this season - to nick the ball away from his opponent and set us away on the counter. Encouraging.

I saw Joe show speed and control, he carried the ball over distance and got us "up the pitch" and threatened their back line; he showed he can shoot, and that he has something to offer in attack. We have seen him cross the ball very well too. He is versatile, but is this helping him?

Little displayed physicality - possibly under valued by LJ up til now - and committment. These are still qualities we need in spades, as you mentioned elsewhere on the forum. A lesson for Lee here, perhaps. Mark also made a clear determination to close the winger down, blocking a number of crosses. Something Matthews is more casual about.

Tammy was consistently isolated. When the ball was played up to him from say the centre backs, he had a defender right behind him and a midfielder right in front, stopping him from bringing the ball down to his feet from his head or chest. Where was the runner so that he could lay it off with one touch? This happens over and over. Not encouraging.

I think there are some positives, but are there enough? We are losing games hand over fist and dropping alarmingly. We need some additions to the first team, not the squad. Here's hoping

Always read & Like reading your posts JD ( as I do  with a fair few other posters )

Enjoy the longer posts & views in a good debate

Yours are always well written & reasoned / explained (And for what it's worth I find myself normally nodding in agreement or understanding as I read your posts )

:thumbsup:

8 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I agree with all of that fella.

There are positives in all our players...but also many flaws as well...plus a lack of consistency. Which for me is the biggest problem. Little, Bryan, GoN, Matthews, Reid, Goldbourne, Tomlin, FF, Smith...all players with bags of ability, but inconsistent on a regular basis. All have positives, but just as many negatives.

As for your last point...LJ knows this, as he's said so.

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Always read & Like reading your posts JD ( as I do  with a fair few other posters )

Yours are always well written & reasoned / explained (And for what it's worth I find myself nodding in agreement or understanding as I read your posts )

Cheers mate. Likewise.

It's a good crack with spud. We see things differently but we want the same thing in the end (outcomes we're ok; processes, less so....)

5 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Cheers mate. Likewise.

It's a good crack with spud. We see things differently but we want the same thing in the end (outcomes we're ok; processes, less so....)

What I find encouraging if nothing else, regardless of the headless emotions by some on here through frustration, is that we've had some really good debates lately, in an adult fashion, and it's been a pleasure to chat with so many fellow reds in reasoned intelligent way. :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, spudski said:

What I find encouraging if nothing else, regardless of the headless emotions by some on here through frustration, is that we've had some really good debates lately, in an adult fashion, and it's been a pleasure to chat with so many fellow reds in reasoned intelligent way. :thumbsup:

You need to realise thought that some of us are at the "Depths of Despair" ;)

And some of us are even into our second season there!

I don't want to change manager every year but neither do I want another relegation.

So how should I form an opinion on whether LJ should stay or go?

7 points out of 42 is definitely relegation form isn't it?

If we stick we could be damned and if we don't we could get the same. Glad I'm not Steve Lansdown but totally pissed off with conceding a losing goal in the last five minutes!

42 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Yours are always well written & reasoned / explained (And for what it's worth I find myself normally nodding in agreement or understanding as I read your posts )

Likewise yours BBSB.

Jack and I often see it a bit different, but I like his thoughts and also well constructed posts.

I quite happily scroll past 'we were sh1t today', 'Little is a parks player' type posts, and like reading how others have interpreted events.

Where do you sit at AG guys? @BobBobSuperBob, @spudski, @Jack Dawe

Do you think that gives us different insight?  I'm West Stand Wheelchair section (middle tier) near the South Stand, so I've seen a lot of our LB's defensive work and our RW's attacking play.

Last season was South Stand, behind Ayling/Matthews/Little. 

In my case - Anywhere I can get or afford TBH @Davefevs

Not ST holder at mo due to some personal circumstances (Was ST holder in Dolman for years) so dot about all over the place (when I can get down (And enjoyed the different views as ground changes tbh)

Over my lifetime , started in Park End , East End in Div 1 days , then Enclosure for a fair few years , Dolman as ST holder , and now a loose marble !

6 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Likewise yours BBSB.

Jack and I often see it a bit different, but I like his thoughts and also well constructed posts.

I quite happily scroll past 'we were sh1t today', 'Little is a parks player' type posts, and like reading how others have interpreted events.

Do you think that gives us different insight?  I'm West Stand Wheelchair section (middle tier) near the South Stand, so I've seen a lot of our LB's defensive work and our RW's attacking play.

Middle of the Dolman mate. Before it was the comfy seats in the Williams. Decided to venture to the west stand on Saturday though...not far from the home dug out. Should be fun :-)

As for insight...I've tried watching football from the end of a ground, and it definitely gives you a different perspective than from the side. I've also never understood why more managers don't sit higher up and send messages to an assistant...standing on the touchline gives such a poor view imo.

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

Middle of the Dolman mate. Before it was the comfy seats in the Williams. Decided to venture to the west stand on Saturday though...not far from the home dug out. Should be fun :-)

As for insight...I've tried watching football from the end of a ground, and it definitely gives you a different perspective than from the side. I've also never understood why more managers don't sit higher up and send messages to an assistant...standing on the touchline gives such a poor view imo.

I prefer being behind the goal, but Joe is the ST holder (I'm carer who goes free!!!) and he wanted to go in the West Stand....its a better view for him.  I used to play Centre Half, so always had the game in front of me (unless I was marking a nippy one!!!!), and that's how I like to watch my football.

When Sky used to do the different cameras, I often watched it using the behind goal camera.  Used to love watching the strikers movement.

21 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Likewise yours BBSB.

The optimum place to watch (Analyse) the game is said to be , by the 'experts' on a corner - gives you full perspective width and length of pitch

Personally I used to love behind a goal , to feel the game (But With the obvious limitations of seeing what and why is happening at opp end)

or standard half way line ((2/3 up Dolman in ideal world ) which I find the best for watching game and understanding what's actually happening

Due to some parts of my earlier life I like to watch individual players , or say the back four , or just Flint & Hordor as a pair etc etc ( watch positioning , communication , game awareness , and what they do when ball is the other end of pitch etc ) for 10-15 min periods rather than follow the ball

Think you may find Spud does the same , 

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

The optimum place to watch (Analyse) the game is said to be , by the 'experts' on a corner - gives you full perspective width and length of pitch

Personally I used to love behind a goal , to feel the game (But With the obvious limitations of seeing what and why is happening at opp end)

or standard half way line ((2/3 up Dolman in ideal world ) which I find the best for watching game and understanding what's actually happening

Due to some parts of my earlier life I like to watch individual players , or say the back four , or just Flint & Hordor as a pair etc etc ( watch positioning , communication , game awareness , and what they do when ball is the other end of pitch etc ) for 10-15 min periods rather than follow the ball

Think you may find Spud does the same , 

good stuff.

I did enjoy the first half v Brentford, watching Hogan's movement around and between Flint and Hordur.  You miss lots if you just follow the ball.

2 hours ago, spudski said:

I lose patience with fans as well as most owners...as many don't have patience. Yes we are on a losing streak...but I can see loads on the pitch that shows promise.

If you can't see it on the pitch JD...then I worry for you. We aren't far off being a good side.

If we are still losing week in week out, in 2/3 months time and we have new players in, and players are losing even more confidence, then I'd reconsider my views...but right now, to change the manger is utter madness.

I would love to see what you are seeing on the pitch that shows promise? We don't defend, midfield is lightweight and the only thing that is a constant positive is an on loan striker that scores regular goals. We have tried 3 different gk, endless formations and team selections but results are a constant. Please tell me what you saw in our manager in the last 20 minutes of the Reading game when he chose to completely change the flow of the game, resulting in our loss. Especially when you consider that we had a like for like replacement on the bench that didn't need a formation change.  

P.s im not saying Johnson needs to go but if we are doing so many positive things on the pitch at the moment, what extra does he need to do to change results?

1 in 15. That is 1/3rd of a season. I will be amazed if LJ turns it all around. I really wish I shared the same optimism as some, but all I have seen so far is a manager that doesn't know his best team, formation, or how to iron out mistakes. It's not all Lee's fault because the players are responsible for what happens on the pitch, but they give so much time and space out of possession that it's unreal. No leaders. Where is the DNA?, where are the characters? We can't even get a draw?! All of these things sit with the manager to address and it's not happening.

Sometimes you need a change just for the sake of change to alter the mindset and break the cycle of defeats. Tony Pulis saved a doomed Crystal Palace, Warnock saved a doomed Rotherham, we have been saved a few times.

There is just no longevity in football anymore, and I don't want to see us back in League 1 anytime soon. The capitulation of the team has been horrendous, not just a blip. 

18 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Likewise yours BBSB.

I have watched games this season from the Dolman (central and Atyeo end), upper and lower Lansdown, and all over the place in the SS. Can't sit still, me!

I must say, you mention about missing a lot if you follow the ball - I rarely do anything else. I don't watch games analytically, or logically (or even rationally!), like I think spud does; I watch games emotionally, for the most part. Which doesn't make me the best judge of overall team stuff, or individual foibles. I'm only interested in seeing us win, really. 

One player I do like to watch individually, though, is Tomlin. Although this hasn't been very rewarding recently.

I also need to start taking/wearing my glasses again, as I cannot tell who is who or did what down t'other end when in the SS. Don't tell anyone this though.....

I do think that there are too many people sat watching the game and thinking about tactics and what have you, these days. If we had more "emotional" sorts like me we might have a bit more atmosphere at AG.......

3 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

I have watched games this season from the Dolman (central and Atyeo end), upper and lower Lansdown, and all over the place in the SS. Can't sit still, me!

I must say, you mention about missing a lot if you follow the ball - I rarely do anything else. I don't watch games analytically, or logically (or even rationally!), like I think spud does; I watch games emotionally, for the most part. Which doesn't make me the best judge of overall team stuff, or individual foibles. I'm only interested in seeing us win, really. 

One player I do like to watch individually, though, is Tomlin. Although this hasn't been very rewarding recently.

I also need to start taking/wearing my glasses again, as I cannot tell who is who or did what down t'other end when in the SS. Don't tell anyone this though.....

I do think that there are too many people sat watching the game and thinking about tactics and what have you, these days. If we had more "emotional" sorts like me we might have a bit more atmosphere at AG.......

Interesting thoughts JD.

When I stopped playing football and started going regularly to the gate, I too was an 'Emotional' supporter.

Singing, chanting, just watching the game etc. It wore me out...used to spoil my week if we lost.

Since taking an interest in coaching/scouting and being a 'student' of the game, as well as how Clubs run, i've found the matchday a much calmer experience.

I watch the game completely differently.

It still doesn't stop me feeling 'emotional' though when we score or something exciting happens. However...during those other periods of play I still gain enjoyment from all aspects of the game. I really do find it more enjoyable that way. I often find myself 'coaching' in my head at a game...'Give it'...'watch the runner'...'quicker..press' etc etc :laugh:

Still meet up with friends before and have a few pints and chat about the coming game and footy in general...and often go for an Indian or a few pints with the same lads afterwards.

I also enjoy watching other football as a 'neutral'.

I've tried watching on away days, in the 'away sections'...I can't stand it now. Used to love it...but find we have too many supporters on a drunken jolly for my liking, and find myself watching them instead of the footy :facepalm: :laughcont:

Archived