IGNORED

Second Season in charge...

spudski

...I looked up Alan Dicks second season in charge for us.

Alan Dicks...gave us our best ever time in our clubs history.

In 1962 joined Coventry City as assistant manager/coach under Jimmy Hill.

In 1967 Hill recommended him for the vacant manager's job at Bristol City. He took the job at the age of just 33, and held it for thirteen years. In that time he consolidated City's position in the Second Division, and eventually, in 1976, led them to promotion to the First Division – then English football's top flight.

Younger and with less experience than LJ.

He had a run of 8 games without a win, and finished one place above the drop zone. We still stuck by him and he eventually built a team that took us to the promised land.

http://stats.football.co.uk/results_fixtures/1968_1969/bristol_city/index.shtml

It's the only time in our history that we have stuck with a manager for longer period of time. It's the only time we have got to the Top tier.

Just saying ;-)

LJ will have signed more players by the end of this window, i.e. after less than 1 year in the City job, than the total number Dicks signed in the 9 years before taking City up.

(That's not a fact by the way, just my strong inkling on the matter)

With that sort of player turnaround and financial backing LJ will be aware he is expected to make his mark in a meaningful way much more quickly than his City counterpart of almost half a century ago.

I honestly think this is a case of short term pain for long term gain. Yes, the run we are on is nothing short of shocking and I'm not enjoying it one bit, but looking at our squad I can see a real potential. I was as surprised as most when we appointed LJ last year, I thought it was too early. I'm willing to accept that he's made mistakes, whilst he got the initial game plan spot on yesterday, he was unable to adapt to counteract Reading's changes. We have some real promise at this club, and I think we need to be something that most people on here are scared of: patient. People always want something now, but for us that's just unrealistic. Stick with the man who kept us up last season and put us off to a great start this season. 

19 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

LJ will have signed more players by the end of this window, i.e. after less than 1 year in the City job, than the total number Dicks signed in the 9 years before taking City up.

With that sort of player turnaround and financial backing LJ will be aware he is expected to make his mark in a meaningful way much more quickly than his City counterpart of almost half a century ago.

Exactly.

I quite often like Spudski's contributions on here, he is clearly one of the more intelligent posters, but really?... comparing now to the sixties and seventies in an attempt to justify his backing of a clearly failing manager is smacking of desperation to me.

25 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'd say it was less likely fella...they didn't have transfer windows to contend with then. And contracts and negotiations and restrictions were far less.

Our best achievements have come when we've given a manager a chance.

Dicks 13 years and Top flight football.

Cooper 6 years to turn the Club around...from rock bottom to something.

GJ 5 seasons...took us to the play off finals.

Football Clubs try to achieve success by constantly changing managers...there are only 3 places every year to gain promotion, so 20 odd teams are deemed 'unsuccessful' by their owners.

I look at clubs that have stuck by a manager and so many have consolidated...which is what we need right now.

Yes, like Bobsuperbob said...it's a different era...but hey...it's proven to work. In some cases, just because it's a different era, it doesn't mean it can't work.

Someone prove to me that changing your manager every 18 months gives you success at a Club...it doesn't.

Speak to players, coach's, managers etc, and they'll all tell you they want continuity and to build together.

It's only owners that want to change managers...and Agents who want to keep selling players. And the only time a player wants a move is either for more money or he's fallen out of favour.

I really can't understand how anyone would think changing the manager right now would benefit the Club. It's not just the head coach that leaves, but a whole playing style, ethos, coaching staff, players, Scouts, Preferred Agents etc,etc.

Yes the club are trying to make changes more seemless...which are inevitable...but really...people want change again after LESS THAN A YEAR????

MADNESS.

Can we stop this obsession with managers

The club"s problem lies with a flawed business plan 

Does anyone really think none of our recent managers could have delivered with a realistic and workable plan

Please book me a front row seat when we tear the five pillars down !

To salvage your thread @spudski from the inevitable accusations of a painfully tenuous additional attempt today to promote Lee Johnson ;) it reminded me to dig up a stat about the type of manager that we generally hire.

I was also reminded by a comment @Red Exile made in the excellent "Why it's not working" thread, where he pointed out the types of experienced manager that Johnson is up against, and how tough a peer group it is. 

This (and the re-emergence of many "why was he hired in the first place" comments) has provided me an opportunity to share the following stat I created just before we appointed LJ, about our hires from Alan Dicks onwards.

So for everyone gnashing about not having an experienced manager that has done it before at this level, the fact is we just never appoint people like that. Of the 22 managers from Dicks to date, just 3 could claim such a record:

• 11 of 22 it was their first English League managerial job (50%), of which:
    • 7 of 22 it was their first ever managerial job (32%)
  • 11 of 22 had prior experience (50%) of which:
    • 3 of 22 had been successful at the level we hired them for (14%)
    • 6 of 22 had been successful but at a lower level of football (27%)
    • 2 of 22 had not been successful yet in football (9%)
      • 1 had just managed Bristol Rovers, which is barely football
      • 1 is Lee Johnson

This is not meant as any criticism or recommendation of LJ or his merits as manager, just a reminder that if you want experience, history says the alternative rarely delivers it - more than twice as likely to get someone who has never managed before.

So over to you Pembo :D 

Reproduced from: 

7 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'd say it was less likely fella...they didn't have transfer windows to contend with then. And contracts and negotiations and restrictions were far less.

Football Clubs try to achieve success by constantly changing managers...there are only 3 places every year to gain promotion, so 20 odd teams are deemed 'unsuccessful' by their owners.

I look at clubs that have stuck by a manager and so many have consolidated...which is what we need right now.

Yes, like Bobsuperbob said...it's a different era...but hey...it's proven to work. In some cases, just because it's a different era, it doesn't mean it can't work.

Someone prove to me that changing your manager every 18 months gives you success at a Club...it doesn't.

Speak to players, coach's, managers etc, and they'll all tell you they want continuity and to build together.

It's only owners that want to change managers...and Agents who want to keep selling players. And the only time a player wants a move is either for more money or he's fallen out of favour.

I really can't understand how anyone would think changing the manager right now would benefit the Club. It's not just the head coach that leaves, but a whole playing style, ethos, coaching staff, players, Scouts, Preferred Agents etc,etc.

Yes the club are trying to make changes more seemless...which are inevitable...but really...people want change again after LESS THAN A YEAR????

MADNESS.

Exactly, just look at Dario Gradi....years of yo-yoing and then he moves upstairs and more years of the same yo-yoing. Sticking with a manager guarantees you no more success than 2 managers a season. Just utter garbage.

13 minutes ago, Olé said:

To salvage your thread @spudski from the inevitable accusations of a painfully tenuous additional attempt today to promote Lee Johnson ;) it reminded me to dig up a stat about the type of manager that we generally hire.

I was also reminded by a comment @Red Exile made in the excellent "Why it's not working" thread, where he pointed out the types of experienced manager that Johnson is up against, and how tough a peer group it is. 

This (and the re-emergence of many "why was he hired in the first place" comments) has provided me an opportunity to share the following stat I created just before we appointed LJ, about our hires from Alan Dicks onwards.

So for everyone gnashing about not having an experienced manager that has done it before at this level, the fact is we just never appoint people like that. Of the 22 managers from Dicks to date, just 3 could claim such a record:

• 11 of 22 it was their first English League managerial job (50%), of which:
    • 7 of 22 it was their first ever managerial job (32%)
  • 11 of 22 had prior experience (50%) of which:
    • 3 of 22 had been successful at the level we hired them for (14%)
    • 6 of 22 had been successful but at a lower level of football (27%)
    • 2 of 22 had not been successful yet in football (9%)
      • 1 had just managed Bristol Rovers, which is barely football
      • 1 is Lee Johnson

This is not meant as any criticism or recommendation of LJ or his merits as manager, just a reminder that if you want experience, history says the alternative rarely delivers it - more than twice as likely to get someone who has never managed before.

So over to you Pembo :D 

Reproduced from: 

Nice one @Olé Good stats :-)

Just to confirm...as it seems to be going over the majorities head...I'm not trying to promote LJ or particularly a fan of his.

I'm backing him, because I believe he's the right fit for the Club and it's philosophy and the team of people who are working with him.

If SC was the right man and believed in the 'Plan' and was doing it for the long term...then I'd also be backing him.

It's not about the Head Coach/manager...it's about the whole health of the Club.

10 minutes ago, Cheesleysmate said:

Exactly, just look at Dario Gradi....years of yo-yoing and then he moves upstairs and more years of the same yo-yoing. Sticking with a manager guarantees you no more success than 2 managers a season. Just utter garbage.

OMG... :facepalm: stop embarrassing yourself...it's painful.

1 hour ago, spudski said:

In 1967 Hill recommended him for the vacant manager's job at Bristol City. He took the job at the age of just 33, and held it for thirteen years. In that time he consolidated City's position in the Second Division, and eventually, in 1976, led them to promotion to the First Division – then English football's top flight.

He had a run of 8 games without a win, and finished one place above the drop zone. We still stuck by him and he eventually built a team that took us to the promised land.

It's the only time in our history that we have stuck with a manager for longer period of time. It's the only time we have got to the Top tier.

Just saying ;-)

Not to mention the fact that there were demonstrations outside the ground demanding AD be sacked. Doubtless those involved thought they knew more about football than AD and were giving Harry Dolman plenty of stick for appointing someone who had only been an assistant instead of a proven Div 2 manager. Plus ca change.

Just saying ;-)

I always enjoy your posts Spudski, but surely, well before Alan Dicks' time, all in the same era, finishing runners up in the top div, reaching the FA Cup Final and winning 14 consecutive games in the top div (still a joint record)  should qualify as 'the best ever time in our club's history'?

I'm not taking anything away from Mr Dicks' achievements though, what a team, what great times!

5 minutes ago, spudski said:

I'm backing him, because I believe he's the right fit for the Club and it's philosophy and the team of people who are working with him.

Out of interest (not being provocative, genuinely can't recall your views at the time if indeed you were on here), where did you get to with SOD, i.e. did you still believe the same view above at the point he was sacked? And if not, what turned it for you? 

Embarrassing, but it's a matter of record if someone digs out the 50 page thread when SOD was sacked and SC was appointed, that I was disappointed SOD went. Football terrible but an indication that I am long since pro managers getting proper time.

For all my posts on here recently, I haven't once actually said "LJ out". To be honest I don't even have a view - I just need an outlet to attack what I believe LJ is getting badly wrong and (I perceive) is doing nothing to fix, in the hope something will change.

At this point it is not about back or sack, it is about LJ providing some level of defensible tactics that make sense, do the basics well, provide stability in the team, and demonstrate an attempt to have a really good go at winning a game going forward.

We haven't had that for weeks if not months - it really makes no difference if I happy clap or call for his head, he'll lose the job plenty well himself either way if he carries on the way he is. As it is, he's going to buy about 5 new players and start all over again.

The way this thread reads, it's as though the club has a sacking culture and the board's failing is that it doesn't give managers time. I don't see it that way at all. I see a desire to give the incumbent time as far as is possible until it becomes almost impossible not to sack them.

Many would have got rid of Cotterill sooner. Many would have got rid of SOD sooner. Many would already have got rid of Johnson. Furthermore the reality is that the last two sackings have proven to be the right decision based on what their successor went on to achieve.

I also don't buy into the Alan Dicks argument. The situation has to be judged on its merits and a decision based on the here and now, not something that occurred 40 years ago. I would stick with Johnson for now but if the run continues, you can't just continue to back him based on some idealistic long term plan approach.

All these examples of sacked managers doesn't show what they could have done with more time though... and unfortunately we will never know what's best but I don't really want to be a 'new manager every year' kind of club... give Lee time... who else are we going to get anyway!?!

Just saying ;-)

But Spud those was the days before I was entitled to everything. And everything now. 

Before patience. Before short termism. Before Sky. Before Stone Island.

Now I don't want to go back to those times - but I would like LJ to be given the next 12 months to prove if he is good enough.

If we're in the same predicament this time next year then that might be the time for SL to give him the chop. Even if LJ takes us down - which I don't think he will.

4 minutes ago, Judda said:

All these examples of sacked managers doesn't show what they could have done with more time though... and unfortunately we will never know what's best but I don't really want to be a 'new manager every year' kind of club... give Lee time... who else are we going to get anyway!?!

If I have to choose between being a Championship club with a new manager every year or a L1 club who sticks with their man, it's the first one every time.

Not wanting to sack managers all the time is a noble aim but not in itself a reason not to sack someone who is failing.

8 minutes ago, Olé said:

Out of interest (not being provocative, genuinely can't recall your views at the time if indeed you were on here), where did you get to with SOD, i.e. did you still believe the same view above at the point he was sacked? And if not, what turned it for you? 

Embarrassing, but it's a matter of record if someone digs out the 50 page thread when SOD was sacked and SC was appointed, that I was disappointed SOD went. Football terrible but an indication that I am long since pro managers getting proper time.

For all my posts on here recently, I haven't once actually said "LJ out". To be honest I don't even have a view - I just need an outlet to attack what I believe LJ is getting badly wrong and (I perceive) is doing nothing to fix, in the hope something will change.

At this point it is not about back or sack, it is about LJ providing some level of defensible tactics that make sense, do the basics well, provide stability in the team, and demonstrate an attempt to have a really good go at winning a game going forward.

We haven't had that for weeks if not months - it really makes no difference if I happy clap or call for his head, he'll lose the job plenty well himself either way if he carries on the way he is. As it is, he's going to buy about 5 new players and start all over again.

No worries mate...wasn't aimed at you perse, just a general feeling that people think I'm pro LJ, just because it's LJ...I'm not.

As for SoD...I understood what he was trying to do...but I agreed he had to go.

When any manager falls out with the owner, the board, and gets away from what's been agreed, and starts to go 'maverick' and short term....then it's time to move them on.

If there is a long term strategy in place and a coach/manager has the Clubs backing, then we have to stick with him. If not...we aren't just against the coach, but the whole ethos of the club.

If LJ was to start to do that, then I'd say he'd have to go.

13 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

You can also look up SC second season in charge, Won our fist league title in 60 years and the only club to do the league and football league trophy double. He was named LMA L1 manager of the year. 12 months after staving off relegation. 

Perhaps he should have been given longer on that basis. He certainly did not have the support in the Championship of MA and Des Williams behind the scenes. or 12M spent on players. 

Now, I for sure felt SC should have left because he was not building a club, but you can look at situations in many ways to support an argument. Indeed on your argument SC should have been a lot longer. He certainly reversed a trend in record time. 

How about looking at Chris Hughton, charged up the league last year , possibly unlucky not be promoted, repeating the performance this year. Brighton are not so far from BCFC are they. He clearly said what he changed about the team to make them suitable for the Championship. Brighton attracted someone with his experience and it looks to be working, and he has no parachute payments either. He took them from 20th in in his first year, joining in Dec 2014, so just a few weeks before LJ at BCFC in his first season. He then took them to 3rd  in his second year. Ok Brighton did have 3 seasons in the league before that, but as with us came up as Champions from L1 at that time, so again, no parachute payments and reasonable investment in the team not a Villa or Newcastle situation. 

So, yes LJ is in season 2, is young . But maybe that is where the similarities end. 

Hey fella...I agree with your sentiments...but as you know, SC went 'Maverick'...if he didn't then he'd still be here most likely. his own doing.

As for Brighton...horses for courses.

As I've been trying to imply...it's all about a team effort and the right fits. Everyone is working together. As soon as that fails, then someone has to go. Right now, we are still doing good things and everyone is working hard to rectify our poor results.

59 minutes ago, spudski said:

Spud

Firstly Dicks managed in an era where Managerial changes happened rarely compared to today

GJ got 5 seasons &  TC got 6 years  because

GJ got us promoted in his first full season and to the Champ PO Final in his second

TC got us promoted in his ? Second season ? And a Wembley Final 2 yrs later

ie both were successful relatively early in their reign and thus enjoyed a longer reign, not the other way round

The obvious exception is Alan Dicks who got us promoted 9 yrs into his 13 years , tho he got us to the League Cup Semi Final in 70/71 and the great FA Cup,run in 74 - still maintain that you can't compare those times in football to this

Dont want to pick and pick at your points but you do spin them in a certain way ;)

Btw

Reminded me that I came across this the other day

Havnt seen footage from the AG game for donkeys and never seen it linked on here

Ewwww brings back some memories !!!:chant6ez:

What a ball by Sir Gerry and a great finish by Fear !!

10 minutes ago, spudski said:

As for SoD...I understood what he was trying to do...but I agreed he had to go.

When any manager falls out with the owner, the board, and gets away from what's been agreed, and starts to go 'maverick' and short term....then it's time to move them on.

Maybe my memory is sketchy but did SOD go maverick? I thought he doggedly stuck to what wasn't working in the interest of enforcing a tactic. So not sure if you've dodged the question here - what made you agree SOD should go?

SOD had to go because of .......

Results

(And he was a miserable SOD and SL got fed up with the Club being downcast. Recall SL saying he knew something had to change when he saw staff and players chuffed to bits with drawing at home to Leyton Orient)

(at the moment we would  probably take a point if we had Orient next up !! ;) )

4 minutes ago, Olé said:

Maybe my memory is sketchy but did SOD go maverick? I thought he doggedly stuck to what wasn't working in the interest of enforcing a tactic. So not sure if you've dodged the question here - what made you agree SOD should go?

He fell out with Board members and SL. Wasn't his fault...it was theirs. They asked him to work to the same philosophy as we are now, but as basically a one man band.

He came in and showed them where all our faults were. From Academy, Analysts, Scouting, Coaching, Negotiations, Legal side...we were a joke and a shambles, no better than an amateur Club. Many managers have said the same thing previously.

He went about changing that, and putting things into place...a lot of the time upsetting people along the way. Hangers on...people who didn't know their job...or going through the motions. He spent too much time doing that, and it effected the first team. Pressure mounted and the rest we know is history. He was doomed to fail...but funnily he knew that. I spoke to him at FGR's and he said as much.

But the one positive that came out of SoD's tenure...is he showed this Club how to set itself up to succeed. He worked tirelessly...hours and hours. As does LJ and his team.

Loves his football and a good man. Working at Oldham now, in an unpaid role, along the lines of a DoF.

He did a lot for this Club behind the scenes...unfortunately he'll always be remembered for poor results and the comical Interview.

That sort of trust and patience needs to be earned though, spud. There has to be give and take. Lee needs to offer us something tangible - ie, something we can see out on the pitch, not something we can hear from his mouth - for us to have some faith, and patience when form slumps. This run has come very early in his time here, too. 

What has Lee done that gives us something to cling to, to stay with him in the hope that our patience will be rewarded, while meantime we lose week after week and slip ever closer to the bottom three?

7 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

That sort of trust and patience needs to be earned though, spud. There has to be give and take. Lee needs to offer us something tangible - ie, something we can see out on the pitch, not something we can hear from his mouth - for us to have some faith, and patience when form slumps. This run has come very early in his time here, too. 

What has Lee done that gives us something to cling to, to stay with him in the hope that our patience will be rewarded, while meantime we lose week after week and slip ever closer to the bottom three?

Kept us up last season? It wasn't a foregone conclusion.

8 minutes ago, EnclosureSurge said:

Kept us up last season? It wasn't a foregone conclusion.

That was Lee Tomlin. And Kodj. And Pembo. And Flinty. And Odemthingie. And Pack and Bobby. And Wilbs, keeping the ball in the corner. 

Whereas this season, it's all Lee's fault.

13 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

I lose patience with fans as well as most owners...as many don't have patience. Yes we are on a losing streak...but I can see loads on the pitch that shows promise.

If you can't see it on the pitch JD...then I worry for you. We aren't far off being a good side.

If we are still losing week in week out, in 2/3 months time and we have new players in, and players are losing even more confidence, then I'd reconsider my views...but right now, to change the manger is utter madness.

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

I lose patience with fans as well as most owners...as many don't have patience. Yes we are on a losing streak...but I can see loads on the pitch that shows promise.

If you can't see it on the pitch JD...then I worry for you. We aren't far off being a good side.

If we are still losing week in week out, in 2/3 months time and we have new players in, and players are losing even more confidence, then I'd reconsider my views...but right now, to change the manger is utter madness.

Be more specific, spud. Be very specific. What exactly have you seen "on the pitch" that gives you this confidence?

2 hours ago, spudski said:

Just saying ;-)

Great post it's fantastic to read into the history of the club.

Alan Dicks arguably the best manager City ever had.

Unfortunately football has evolved massively in the last 40 years and a totally different culture which doesn't take anything Alan Dicks achieved what so ever.

In my opinion if Lee needs help from someone more experienced to guide the club through this horrendous bad run he can philosophise all he likes he is the wrong man for us at the moment

Archived