IGNORED

The non-official Fleetwood v City in the FA Cup replay match day thread

Septic Peg

Well done City for avoiding the banana skin that Ipswich stepped on. Now off to Forest and another slog for 95 minutes or so. It certainly will not be easy but all we can ask for is that all the squad are pulling together. Whether we win, lose or draw is in the lap of the gods. Whatever my opinions about the Club's team management, I never want us to lose so here's to a good result at the aptly named (?) City Ground.

It's a decent win, but Forest will be a truer test. Mind you, they are managerless and Forest fans are planning a demonstration against their owner on Saturday.

And to top that, 70s legend Kenny Burns recently had a few choice words to say about his old club, http://www.nottinghampost.com/8203-if-i-was-a-player-looking-to-move-i-wouldn-t-come-to-nottingham-forest-8211-kenny-burns/story-30013771-detail/story.html .

3 minutes ago, Lucan said:

Logic tells you that the run of form City are on wont go on forever, the squad simply isn't *that* bad (i.e Derby under Paul Jewell levels of bad)

But I dont think a narrow replay victory over a L1 team at home will be seen as anything other than the bare minimum.

I remember when we were on a bad run whilst GJ was manager, imo that run felt far worse than this run. The run ended I think with a hard fought 1 nil win against Tranmere I think? That win changed everything and a little over two years later we were one game from the premiership.

The point I'm making is who would have thought a win against Tranmere woukd be a catalyst to the success we then enjoyed?

I'm hoping tonight's result could well have a similar effect.

1 minute ago, Lucan said:

Logic tells you that the run of form City are on wont go on forever, the squad simply isn't *that* bad (i.e Derby under Paul Jewell levels of bad)

But I dont think a narrow replay victory over a L1 team at home will be seen as anything other than the bare minimum.

After 9 defeats on the bounce a bare minimum win is just fine.

Each positive result is a small step forward. It will build more confidence in the players, so  we hopefully perform better in the next game and secure yet another positive result and if the bare minimum continues then we start to look up the table instead of breaking out in a cold sweat looking below us.

There is a long way to go because it will be far tougher against championship opposition, but far better to have won tonight than get the Ipswich result.

7 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I remember when we were on a bad run whilst GJ was manager, imo that run felt far worse than this run. The run ended I think with a hard fought 1 nil win against Tranmere I think? That win changed everything and a little over two years later we were one game from the premiership.

The point I'm making is who would have thought a win against Tranmere woukd be a catalyst to the success we then enjoyed?

I'd say many other things changed in the club during that period which were a much larger catalyst for our success at that time than a win over Tranmere, you're massively oversimplifying it.

9 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

My memory says a 2-0 win at home against Sheffield U in a televised game with Cotterill having a very good game but I'm probably wrong

14 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but the Tranmere game immediately preceded 9 consecutive defeats, 2 in cup competitions. See: http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=376&teamTabs=results and choose Season 2005/06 on the drop-down menu.

51 minutes ago, 29AR said:

Wasn't there but he's now part of Bristol City legend and folklore bringing our run to an abrupt end. 

I will never forget any of the deities in tonight's line up. The Highbury 11. 

It's not every club that's won at both Highburys

15 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

It was Huddersfield at home, we won 2-0.

Happy for your win. Hope this will break negative run and that players and fans as well will stand for each other and manage some positive run. I know this win is not high on your list of priorities but...win is a win, always better than lost. Forest is now a big game, cmon!

In our media for now only news that you pass through 1/16 final in the Cup and that Djuric played for 82 minutes.

Looking forward for the next match. 

2 minutes ago, Bosnian beast said:

Happy for your win. Hope this will break negative run and that players and fans as well will stand for each other and manage some positive run. I know this win is not high on your list of priorities but...win is a win, always better than lost. Forest is now a big game, cmon!

In our media for now only news that you pass through 1/16 final in the Cup and that Djuric played for 82 minutes.

Djuric will get his first goal Saturday ;)

50 minutes ago, Bosnian beast said:

Djuric looks like he is enjoying himself here, which is great considering our awful run!

Finally a win!  :aok2:

It's exactly what we needed, before a crucial league match like the next one: a result which can give a morale-boost to the lads, LJ and...us! :fingerscrossed:

Talking about the cup..in the next round we will play at Turf Moor: not bad, but IMO a trip to the Stadium of Lights would have been more interesting.

8 hours ago, IAmNick said:

I'd say many other things changed in the club during that period which were a much larger catalyst for our success at that time than a win over Tranmere, you're massively oversimplifying it.

Of course it did but you can't underestimate what a victory can do to a team that has become accustomed to losing. They suddenly remembered how to win again and built upon that in the following games.

Alot of what you say could be apt for the current situation. I hope to be posting in a few years about how a win against Fleetwood was a catalyst for success.

8 hours ago, Curr Avon said:

Sorry to be pedantic, but the Tranmere game immediately preceded 9 consecutive defeats, 2 in cup competitions. See: http://www.soccerbase.com/teams/team.sd?team_id=376&teamTabs=results and choose Season 2005/06 on the drop-down menu.

Aha I knew Tranmere were involved somewhere. Least I got the score right. I think I can rremember the Bradford game being a game where everything went against us but there were real positive signs that the run was about to end? Which it then did in the ffollowing game.

Realise a few aren't bothered by an away game to an unglamorous Prem team in the cup (and will admit; would have preferred Sunderland myself), but think the tie and the particularly the timing of it is decent for us.

Firstly; it's an opportunity to take a break from the league with a relatively low pressure match, which at this point doesn't hurt.  No one expects us to win like they did against Fleetwood, and even a draw would represent a solid result.

It also breaks up a league run of two consecutive away games for us (Forest, Villa) and at this point, I think that is good, as means after the crunch match away at the City Ground, we have a 'free hit' at Burnley, and then two home games in swift succession, including another 'must win' (or possibly must-not-lose) against Rotherham.  Every little helps in that sense.

And finally, it is another game for any new lads to settle, which I think is a positive.  The trio who are already in the door have had both Fleetwood ties to get used to their teammates in a 'live fire' environment, not only does Burnley offer another (and more challenging) chance for this, but at the immediate expense of a tough away game to Villa too.  The more the team get used to playing with one another without points at stake, the better.

And let's not forget; no disrespect, but Fleetwood weren't an opponent who got our pulses racing when drawn against them, and neither that of the players, I imagine.  But Burnley are a Premier league side, and I'd wager more than a few of our team will very much want to test their mettle against top tier opposition - Tammy is one I can see going there and giving his absolute all to show he can cop it in that league, as were he to go back to Chelsea I could see Burnley being the type of side he'll get chances against.

In all honesty; we need to focus 100% on beating Forest, as victory or loss in that match could spin our season either way.  But there are worse things to have after such a pressure match than a cup distraction like this one.

From all accounts of game Hegeler sounded real and genuine class.  What we have been lacking for years.  Good also that our genuine class player is a midfielder, for normally it has been a forward.

This seems to me to reflect massively on MA's scouting and recruitment network

All Lee has to do is set them up in the right way and stop chopping and changing the personnel.  One more player in Hegeler's class will do me this window

Couldn't post after the game last night,  as the Forum went down for some reason, was it because it couldn't cope with the amount of postings after a win at last?  Who knows, anyway, well done the boys. The Radio Bristol commentator remarked that Hegeler was walking most of the game and still controlled the midfield, if that's true how good a player have we signed?  Looking forward to more games with him playing in midfield.  Now on to Forest, here's hoping the boys can get a result there to relieve the pressure.  Roll on Saturday, COYR's

2 minutes ago, cynic said:

Listening to the Fleetwood commentary last night, they were very taken with Joe Bryan - "best player on the pitch".

Saw some brief highlights and Bryan looked to be well up for it with a couple of fast interceptions which nearly resulted in goals.

Hopefully he can carry that forward to Forest, be interested to get the opinion of someone who was at the game.

Maybe the goal against Cardiff has given him a huge confidence boost?

Archived