IGNORED

Football League launch probe into Matty Taylors transfer

Smokey

1 minute ago, spudski said:

Maybe the case...but I do know we have scouted him at least since November, so it wasn't just a case of throw £300k at it, just going on all the facts we know about Taylor. We have done due diligence. I just find it odd that no other Club has done the same....that we know about.

Maybe his agent had told other clubs he was only interested in signing for City......there is talk he wanted to stay in the area for personal reasons.

I can just imagine how both the brfc board and the gas fans must be feeling?

Your biggest saleable asset walks out of the door for 'thruppence ha'penny', the same asset whose goal power has propelled the club beyond reasonable expectation and he does it on a day and time which gives no chance whatsoever to replace him and leaves their morale in tatters. And worst still, he goes to a club that  could easily afford ten times the amount paid and is its greatest bitterest rival.

Yes, I really can imagine how they all must feel and I'm going keep on imagining in the cold weeks ahead like warming my arse against a lovely log fire.

Isn't the whole point of a release clause that it is kind of public?  Commercially why have it in there if you don't want people to know about it.  If properly valued it should literally be what you feel the player is worth and an amount that you will happily accept for that player.  If you really really want to never sell that player then don't stick it as low as £300K.  Players such as Messi, Neymar et al (not for a minute putting Taylor in that bracket) have release fees of £130m plus (see telegraph article below).

At the very least that serves as a deterrent - again why would you want to keep such a deterrent secret - to any potential suitors.

To me this smells like Rovers massively undervalued Taylor's potential when they drew up the contract.  Some lowly lawyer drafted the contract and missed a 0 off of the end of the figure and now the fact he's crossed the Avon has just rubbed salt into that wound.  Rovers have threatened their lawyers and in desperation the lawyers have suggested this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfers/11746245/The-biggest-buy-out-clauses-in-football-including-Cristiano-Ronaldo-Lionel-Messi-and-Neymar.html?frame=3378999

6 minutes ago, spudski said:

Maybe the case...but I do know we have scouted him at least since November, so it wasn't just a case of throw £300k at it, just going on all the facts we know about Taylor. We have done due diligence. I just find it odd that no other Club has done the same....that we know about.

Ahh, I didn't know that.

You're right, it is strange. I suppose if he'd carried on scoring in L1 it may have encouraged more offers in the summer. Hopefully it's a move that pays off for us.

8 hours ago, havanatopia said:

All of that being said you might argue that City could have been a little bit smarter here and offered a bit more; not as if its big bucks in the scheme of things. One could have predicted the media jumping on this and Rovers will try and milk it in the same quarter to look the innocent party and make us look bad. Could have been avoided in my opinion. 

Why would anyone do that? 

If you go into a charity shop and see a brand new Armani shirt marked up for £20, you don't insist on giving them £30. Even though you know it's worth more. 

Well, you might, but then that's just a £10 donation to a good cause. Rovers are not a good cause. 

They are embarrassing and are making themselves look even more tinpot with this ludicrous complaint. They have no class and no shame. 

I think even Rovers fans might see though this veiled attempt do deflect their own short comings. 

Should we know what the release clause was? No. 

Is it difficult to find out when players, staff, management, board members, agents, family, friends etc probably know what it is and when a player wants to move? Of course it's not. 

Unless we've paid (proven with proper evidence) someone for confidential info, this is a non story and typical of the Gas. Pathetic! 

5 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

I can just imagine how both the brfc board and the gas fans must be feeling?

Your biggest saleable asset walks out of the door for 'thruppence ha'penny', the same asset whose goal power has propelled the club beyond reasonable expectation and he does it on a day and time which gives no chance whatsoever to replace him and leaves their morale in tatters. And worst still, he goes to a club that  could easily afford ten times the amount paid and is its greatest bitterest rival.

Yes, I really can imagine how they all must feel and I'm going keep on imagining in the cold weeks ahead like warming my arse against a lovely log fire.

The ones I've spoken to don't seem too bothered. "He's not that good", "Bodin is better" "Won't score goals in the championship"

Not sure why they were all telling me that with tears in their eyes though...

15 minutes ago, spudski said:

I may be wrong here, but even if another club bid more, as long as we matched the release clause amount then isn't it down to the player to decide where he wants to go?

22 minutes ago, Peter O Hanraha-hanrahan said:

That's the thing....it appears it was widely known. It's been spoken about on here, Gaschat, Twitter and the Daily Mail at various times since last August. 

Rumours are that at least two other clubs were interested on deadline day (although that could be bollocks). It is strange that no one else took a low cost gamble on the leagues highest scorer from last season but of course that doesn't prove any wrongdoing on our part.

I just reckon that when no one did pick him up throughout Jan, City just thought to themselves "why don't we have a go?"

He might end up a dud in the Championship but he can definitely score goals in L1. If it doesn't work out this season we can either sell him or, if the worst comes to the worst, enjoy watching him score a hat trick against the Gas.

Durden on RB said there were no other clubs interested in MT. 

You hear it all the time, especially with foreign players / clubs, that they have a release clause & what that figure is & I'm sure no one has ever turned to their FA to cry about it.

It's just that the majority of foreign clubs / players put their release clauses ridiculously high in the hope of scaring off bidders & they can tell the players that they were happy to sign a contract with that fee & that's what it'll take to release him.......

My guess would be that Ro*ers are new to needing a release clause in a players contract & not being the brightest of people in the world, they haven't understood how a release clause works & it's done them over big time.

3 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

They just don't learn do they?

Wycombe,  Sainsbury,  and now this.

They're like a crap lawyers' benevolent fund. 

You would of thought the past failures would of learned them(that's gas speak).

42 minutes ago, Snufflelufagus said:

When suarez went to Barcelona they too triggered the release clause. It was £40million and they bid £40million and 1p. Now what are the chances of that!

Barcelona claimed they paid around £65M for him. I think Liverpool must have upped the release clause in his new contract after Arsenal tried to trigger it by bidding £40,000,001 or whatever.

Am I being thick here, but surely clubs get more than one go at getting the release clause right?

Club, I'll give you £50k, 

nope.

£100k?

nope.

This goes up and up until,

£300k?

Ah yes, I'll get his people to call you. 

It sounds from what I'm reading we had just one guess and got it right, what's the chances? Exceptions already mentioned.

I believe he wanted to be released, wanted to aim higher than Oxford and signed so the Gas could at least get something for him, proving loyality as such. It gave him time to prove himself, play regularly and attract higher clubs. In the meantime he decided he wanted to stay in the area, putting off a lot of clubs. Cardiff's interest if true did worry me as I thought he might go there as he could stay local and not get the grief he is getting now, just my guess. 

9 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

This 30 year thing is bugging me now - loads of media outlets are saying it's the 'first transfer between the clubs for 30 years..'

'Taylor is the first player to cross the divide for thirty years...'

Steve Phillips went from us to them in 2006 - how have they all missed that?!

I know it's the first transfer from Rovers to City in 30 years but they aren't saying that...'between the clubs' means either way....it's been quoted on Sky Sports, in The Independent and Daily Mail, on Talksport etc etc etc.

It just bugs me, that's all!

Don't forget Agent Clarkson...

45 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

I may be wrong here, but even if another club bid more, as long as we matched the release clause amount then isn't it down to the player to decide where he wants to go?

Yes, it's up to the player to decide.

So for example...if we bid £300K and Cardiff bid £500K, it doesn't mean he has to go to the highest bidder. As long as the release clause value is reached and unlocked, then it's completely up to the player to decide.

Apart from the fact it's them. and they regularly do an impression of a 13 year old girl when things don't go their way. 
They are not the first team to have a clause met, as said above , Arsenal bidding 1p above is a real pisstake but as far as I'm aware they didn't run to 'Sir' , though they did moan a lot. 
I'm not sure of the rules but, the clause was put in by Taylor and his agent (I'm guessing they knew about it then).   What's to stop the agent talking to people or other agents? They happily go around touting their player to anyone even while he's still in contract, so what's the difference? 
Have to ask why they always play the victim , getting old now.

20 minutes ago, BrightCiderLife said:

Taylor is a s***head,

You do grasp the concept of insults, don't you? Serious question. 
If someone called you a wanker (for example) would you happily walk round telling people , yeah I'm a wanker ?  
Shithead is 'their' playground attempt at an insult, it really bugs me this, what next calling the this to be put on the shirts instead of 'the Robins' ???
No offence , but this is a real bugbear of mine.

I would love this to go all the way to court, see how much their billionaire is willing to spend on this complete non story - but on the plus side it is making them look a bigger joke than they currently are. Maybe they should ask their billionaire why another transfer window has gone past and why he hasn't spent again. Although the whole Taylor transfer has deflected away from poor form/league etc, it has also deflected their fans away from how their unambitious owner yet again hasn't spent anything. Overall worked well for both clubs! 

Go to court and get asked "how come you bid the exact amount that triggered the players release"?

"Ummmm, it was in all the newspapers stating the amount so we had a punt at it, and it seemed to be correct, we could also have started bidding at a tenner until the figure was reached and we would still have got him for the paid figure"

"Oh, ok then" "no more questions"

19 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Perhaps we bid £1000

Rovers say 'No'

We Bid £2000

Rovers say 'No' .....

2hrs later.....

£299,000

'No'

£300,000

'Oh bugger'

:whistle:

Is a release clause always legally binding though?

I seem to recall Arsenal bidding for Suarez triggering release clause- it later emerged he had one, but Liverpool just refused to sell him.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/mar/02/liverpool-john-henry-luis-suarez-clause

Incidentally, buyout clauses- which are more common in Spain- and release clauses- aren't the same.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Is a release clause always legally binding though?

I seem to recall Arsenal bidding for Suarez triggering release clause- it later emerged he had one, but Liverpool just refused to sell him.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2014/mar/02/liverpool-john-henry-luis-suarez-clause

I assume / assumed so Mr P otherwise why does it exist at all but the article does raise the question

Have to say I don't actually know the answer but someone on here will tidy that up

"We knew he had a release clause,

"So we bid 10m and they said yeah"

"So we bid 5m and they said yeah"

"So we bid 2.5m and they said yeah"

"So we bid 1m and they said yeah"

"So we bid 500k and they said yeah"

"So we bid 250k and they said no"

"So we bid 300k and they said yeah"

By then we knew the rumours were true, how illegal...

Archived