IGNORED

top manager needed now

leader

26 minutes ago, tinman85 said:

I am positive that any other proven manager at this level would have us in the top 10 pushing the play offs with the resources they have been given. Best squad we have had for years and years yet we are still in a relegation battle. Watching Johnson Holden and Pembs yesterday was like watching coaches on the touchline of a school PE team 

I agree Tinman. I was thinking about the players we have now after the game and I'm convinced a decent manager could get them playing good, coherent, winning football. 

Both full backs, Little in particular, are poor. It hasn't helped In Little's case that we play so narrow so he is constantly exposed as there is rarely anyone around to cover him. That plus his tendency to drift out of position is a recipe for disaster. 

However, look at the rest of the players we have in and around the first team. Flint, Wright and Mags are all good enough to to a decent job at this level. Hegeler looks a fine player. Pack, O'Neil (when fit) and Brownhill are all good enough to do a job alongside the classy German. Cotterill is a good, experienced player at this level and an upgrade on Freeman. Bryan has had a poor season but when played in a more advanced position he can do a job. Tomlin is unplayable on his day, but inconsistent. We knew that when we signed him but he would be a definite in most if not all Championship match day squads, if not starting 11s. Tammy is as good any anything in the division and Djuric and Taylor both looked good enough to offer something when they came on yesterday. I haven't seen enough of the new keeper to comment yet, and haven't even gone into some of the fringe players we have, many (like Reid, Wilbs, Patterson) of whom have performed really well for us on occasions  

For me, this lot of players we have are good enough to be somewhere between 10th and 15th in this league. We need a head coach who can set them up with a clear plan and stick to it, know his best team and instil some confidence in them. I really don't believe that Johnson is that man. 

44 minutes ago, spudski said:

Exactly...and the one reason I think LJ made a massive mistake bringing him here.

Undoubted natural talent...but brings more 'issues' with him, both on and off the pitch, than positives.

He's been half our problems this season...as well as GoN and Matthews.

Thing is...City fans have always been suckers for this type of player and dashing wingers.

Jackie, Trundle, JeT and now Tomlin...all more trouble than they are worth in the long run. Same as our reliance one season on Albert.

It's the same old problems...building teams around 'mavericks' that can play occasionally.

So the 3 problem players are also the only 3 of the many acquisitions that have played in the Premiership.

What does this suggest?

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

When I started watching City Alan Dicks was appointed as manager at about the same age as LJ and went through some tough times early on where the fans wanted him sacked but he turned out to be our most successful manager ever

Fair analogy, but Alan Dicks isn't City's most successful manager ever. It's Harry Thickitt.

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

I am positive that any other proven manager at this level would have us in the top 10 pushing the play offs with the resources they have been given. Best squad we have had for years and years yet we are still in a relegation battle. Watching Johnson Holden and Pembs yesterday was like watching coaches on the touchline of a school PE team 

Any proven manager at this level wouldn't want to work for us, that's the problem. We end up with managers who have been successful in the lower leagues which are more of a gamble.

1 hour ago, tinman85 said:

Why?

Who's a proven manager at this level?

Two-thirds of Championship managers have been in the role for less than 12 months. Is that long-enough to be proven? Of the rest, why come here when most are in a much better position?

As for all the other names being bandied around, haven't they all been sacked? Amuses me no end how many people would appoint managers who they have never met, let alone interviewed. Cras!!

7 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Does anyone seriously think under SL we shall have a top manager?

Well, he can afford one, its how much imput he has i guess.

If the club got relegated under Johnson it would be nothing short of tragic.

28,000 seats, 13,000 in the ground, best players leave, and so on.

I cant imagine how bad it may be.

6 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Big dilemma now is IF SL does pull the trigger in the next few weeks what sort of Head Coach do we appoint

One to,carry on the project with a long term view ( Hoddle would be high on my short list in that case) - Usually these type of coaches may have a limited immediate impact / short term effect which is what we need right now IMO (I would assume this would be the type we'd look for)

Or do we go for someone to get us out the ***** who may have an immediate impact / short term effect but won't necessarily fit any long term project (I'm struggling to think of an obvious , available choice atm :shutup: 

I guess the obvious target would be Rowett who has hinted in his career to date that he can do a bit of both , he appeals to me more than LJ but not totally convinced

We have got ourselves trapped down an alley IMO and are leaving / possibly have left , it too late to a stage where any change will have a limited chance of turning this around

In an ideal world things will start to click with the current set up , but for the life of me , on all the evidence available I just can't see it

One hell of a dilemma now , and IMO an almighty mess

Fantastic shout in Hoddle as develops young up & coming players, plays attractive stuff & very astute tactically and also most importantly plays people in their correct & natural positions.

Only lost the England job for non-footballing reasons which he has learnt from & itching to get back in day to day hands on coaching et al.

2 minutes ago, Derek from Nailsea said:

Fantastic shout in Hoddle as develops young up & coming players, plays attractive stuff & very astute tactically and also most importantly plays people in their correct & natural positions.

Only lost the England job for non-footballing reasons which he has learnt from & itching to get back in day to day hands on coaching et al.

Widely regarded as one of the , if not the best coach we've had in decades and would , I assume be happy to work within , probably revel in our Project / Philosophy

If a good match he would be capable of taking this Club into prem

We won't ever think that ambitiously

2 hours ago, NickJ said:

Not the persons who bought them, based on their DNA then?

The point being that these players have seriously under performed based on their individual ability...

Tomlin, all the ability.. based on his loan spell at City last season, fantastic.

Gary O'Neil, experienced player and campaigner in the Championship... should be a leader on the pitch.

The club signed them as they are an upgrade on players we had, they have done next to zero. You can't blame MA and LJ for signing this type of player to initially improve the team. I didn't see too many fans complaining when they came to this club

13 minutes ago, Dolman Block B said:

Well, he can afford one, its how much imput he has i guess.

If the club got relegated under Johnson it would be nothing short of tragic.

28,000 seats, 13,000 in the ground, best players leave, and so on.

I cant imagine how bad it may be.

Personalities too big to manage. We won't progress unless we invest in a proven manager at this level. 

5 hours ago, GrahamC said:

Steve Clarke.

We need a coach and someone who has been assistant at Chelsea, Liverpool, Villa and managed a side that was never in danger of going down in our league (Reading) is a solid choice.

In truth though in response to the moronic "who?" comment I can think of at least ten better realistic options than LJ, some of who are in work at present, some are not.

Oh my god! It's like the mcinnes to o'driscoll farce all over again

Agree with OP. I do think we'll go down unless Johnson is replaced immediately. It's possible we've waited too long already. Performances are getting worse. Johnson has no clue what his best eleven is or formation. Have we started with the same starting eleven in the same formation more than twice all season? Overall Johnson's signings have been good but it's the way he's setting us up is the issue. I genuinely don't think he's the experience to turn the season around. It's clear why Rotherham are where they are. They were abject but there was very little between the sides. I hope he succeeds but we are progressively getting worse each game. 

58 minutes ago, Derek from Nailsea said:

One big problem: he's not managed anywhere for 11 years.

That's a long time. 

2 hours ago, ashton_fan said:

Any proven manager at this level wouldn't want to work for us, that's the problem. We end up with managers who have been successful in the lower leagues which are more of a gamble.

I don't agree with you . This must be one of the better jobs in football , a wealthy patient owner, a great stadium and fantastic facilities and the possibility of becoming a hero by being the first Bristol City manager to get  promoted or win a major trophy .

I am sure there are many top pros who cast an envious eye at LJ's position.

if the worst comes to the worst ,nobody in the game would blame you for failing as the 'project ' is perhaps too ambitious .

Just now, Major Isewater said:

I don't agree with you . This must be one of the better jobs in football , a wealthy patient owner, a great stadium and fantastic facilities and the possibility of becoming a hero by being the first Bristol City manager to get  promoted or win a major trophy .

I am sure there are many top pros who cast an envious eye at LJ's position.

if the worst comes to the worst ,nobody in the game would blame you for failing as the 'project ' is perhaps too ambitious .

The first for two years you mean, Major :whistle:

7 hours ago, Dr Balls said:

Pardew comes to mind not that I am that excited about him or I think he would take us seriously. Certainly has bags of experience at Premiership level and relatively successful until recently at Palace. And Rowett has more experience at this level.

Eh?! You think Rowett has more experience as a manager at this level than Pardew?!

You must have forgotten that Pardew managed Reading to 4th in the championship and also took West Ham to two championship play off finals on his way to getting them into the premier league.

How has Rowett got more championship experience than that with his less than two full seasons as a championship manager?

50 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Simples

Such a person would refuse from the start to be a yes man

Where's the evidence that Mr Lansdown will only appoint a yes man?

Not a dig at you, but loads on here, with zero 'behind the scenes' knowledge, always spout the 'yes man' rubbish.

There's no way SL could have built his multi-billion pound business if he only employed 'yes men' so why would anyone think he'd do this with his football club?

7 hours ago, shelts said:

Yesterday was never going to be pretty with the way we set up. Rotherham, bloody Rotherham mind!!

LJ will keep his job till the end of the season . Get a few big signings in the summer and we'll all forget this?!

What, more players? We already have the tools to do the job. Just the wrong workman. 

Archived