IGNORED

top manager needed now

leader

6 hours ago, spudski said:

I actually see the opposite.

I see players concentrating on keeping shape at all costs. And that effects their football. Everyone is scared of making a mistake. No one wants the ball.

You've only got to look at the simple throw in, to see that no one wants it. No one moves. No one makes themselves available. They are all shit scared.

I also see other players like Tomlin disregarding this. You either have a team working as one or not. You can't have players doing their own thing as it causes confusion.

I certainly saw confusion yesterday with about 10 mins to play. Some wanted to play...others wanted to put it into the corner and play down time. There was certainly confusion on what to do. Funnily both Cotterhill and Taylor wanted to attack...our nervous rest of the team, looked like rabbits in headlights. This is where we needed a leader....someone vocal...someone commanding. We don't seem to have that.

No leader on, or ( most definitely)  off the pitch. A manager who knew how to manage in this league would have signed players with leadership qualities.  

6 hours ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Those two have been a part of the problem of why the club has gone backwards

G'ON was the main reason we were where we were after 15 games of the season, some of his displays were the best I've seen from a City midfielder in 20 years. So for you to state we have gone backwards with him is unbelievable.

He should be the first name on the team sheet, full of experience and know how. In fact, he knows a damn sight more about football in this division and the one above than our manager.

13 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

G'ON was the main reason we were where we were after 15 games of the season, some of his displays were the best I've seen from a City midfielder in 20 years. So for you to state we have gone backwards with him is unbelievable.

He should be the first name on the team sheet, full of experience and know how. In fact, he knows a damn sight more about football in this division and the one above than our manager.

You do love to sensationalise posts don't you plus best perormances in 20 years in midfield? Totally disagree... Hartley, Elliot gave better performances in midfield IMO both were instrumental in one way or another.

47 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Where's the evidence that Mr Lansdown will only appoint a yes man?

Not a dig at you, but loads on here, with zero 'behind the scenes' knowledge, always spout the 'yes man' rubbish.

There's no way SL could have built his multi-billion pound business if he only employed 'yes men' so why would anyone think he'd do this with his football club?

Coppell and Cotterill are yet to publish their full stories.  

Reason for appointing and not sacking but issuing an extension to LJ's contract.

It is as reasonable hypothesis as anything else. I doubt SL has appointed many people in his day job. If he has there is precious little evidence he has transferred those skills to appointment of City managers.  What we do know is that the procedures followed fall far short of normal business good practice. Until we have a full independent audit of SL's management of City then I will stand by my hypothesis

4 minutes ago, Ivorguy said:

Coppell and Cotterill are yet to publish their full stories.  

Reason for appointing and not sacking but issuing an extension to LJ's contract.

It is as reasonable hypothesis as anything else. I doubt SL has appointed many people in his day job. If he has there is precious little evidence he has transferred those skills to appointment of City managers.  What we do know is that the procedures followed fall far short of normal business good practice. Until we have a full independent audit of SL's management of City then I will stand by my hypothesis

Careful ,they can be nasty buggers .

Johnson was never a leader on the pitch and he's certainly is no leader off the pitch. The board have never financially backed a manager / coach like they have backed Johnson, somebody with no track record but alleged good MS PowerPoint skills, he must go; and take Mark Ashton with him, an experienced Manager with a track record will not accept the current structure.  In 44 years supporting City I have never known a worse manager than Johnson. Admittedly I was gutted when Johnson was appointed, but it's turned out worse than I feared, and Lansdown must make the decision before it is too late. I was lucky enough to watch City in the top flight, it was a magical time as a kid, but we can do it again. For all Stephen Lansdown's and Keith Dawe's wealth they will be amazed at the spectacle when the top clubs visit Ashton Gate. Pat Lam (Bristol RFC) is going to get full control over all rugby matters, and so should our new Manager / Coach. Lam, who is an outstanding leader, has taken a backwater rugby team in Connacht to the top of rugby, winning the Pro12, and competing with the best sides in Europe. Bristol City need to find a manager with an outstanding track record and give him control.    

1 hour ago, Major Isewater said:

I don't agree with you . This must be one of the better jobs in football , a wealthy patient owner, a great stadium and fantastic facilities and the possibility of becoming a hero by being the first Bristol City manager to get  promoted or win a major trophy .

I am sure there are many top pros who cast an envious eye at LJ's position.

if the worst comes to the worst ,nobody in the game would blame you for failing as the 'project ' is perhaps too ambitious .

We've had a wealthy owner for a while now but whenever we fire a manager the list of applicants for the vacant post is generally uninspiring, it's not realistic to think a top manager will come here. The only exception was probably Coppell and it didn't take him long to want out!

3 minutes ago, irishreds said:

Johnson was never a leader on the pitch and he's certainly is no leader off the pitch. The board have never financially backed a manager / coach like they have backed Johnson, somebody with no track record but alleged good MS PowerPoint skills, he must go; and take Mark Ashton with him, an experienced Manager with a track record will not accept the current structure.  In 44 years supporting City I have never known a worse manager than Johnson. Admittedly I was gutted when Johnson was appointed, but it's turned out worse than I feared, and Lansdown must make the decision before it is too late. I was lucky enough to watch City in the top flight, it was a magical time as a kid, but we can do it again. For all Stephen Lansdown's and Keith Dawe's wealth they will be amazed at the spectacle when the top clubs visit Ashton Gate. Pat Lam (Bristol RFC) is going to get full control over all rugby matters, and so should our new Manager / Coach. Lam, who is an outstanding leader, has taken a backwater rugby team in Connacht to the top of rugby, winning the Pro12, and competing with the best sides in Europe. Bristol City need to find a manager with an outstanding track record and give him control.    

Wow, pretty OTT! quite a damning report given his win percentage record isn't that bad at this level... must mean barring his dad (even though his win % record is marginally better) that every other manager who has managed us at this level in recent memory must be absolutely appalling.

For all his flaws, he obviously has some ability of coaching/managing. 

Just now, Roger Red Hat said:

There's nothing wrong with being in your sixties, young man.

I'm not interested in Warnock, although looking at the way we played yesterday LJ seems to have taken a leaf out of his book.

I didn't say it wouldn't work did I ?. That pairing would have my full support and they would guarantee a full house every home game.

And I'll have you know I'm not a young man. :noexp: (sadly)

1 minute ago, robinreliant said:

I didn't say it wouldn't work did I ?. That pairing would have my full support and they would guarantee a full house every home game.

And I'll have you know I'm not a young man. :noexp: (sadly)

Guarantee a full house? Do they do a decent circus act or something? 

Whilst I'll agree that LJ isn't necessarily the answer, I do think he gets way too much stick when compared to other experienced managers in this division.

Take Bruce at Villa...been there and worn the shirt. Tons of experience. Millions of ££££££'s...yet only 5 points more than us, same goal difference, and hasn't won a game in 6.

We've been in this league 2 seasons...yet the likes of Villa, Wolves, Forest, Cardiff, QPR, Ipswich...all 5 points or less from us.

Imagine being a fan of those clubs, with all that experience and money in the past and present.

They've all been there and had loads more experience than us...yet they can't find that magic wand either...funny that.

9 hours ago, Rednwhiterob said:

All these threads just end up merging into one. Why not just have ONE Lee Johnson thread?

Why not simply close Otib until he has gone. There seems little,point talking about anything else until the manger/head coach issue is resolved. Everything comes back to how long we have to put up with this waste of talent and resources. It's so bloody depressing

28 minutes ago, desert said:

Why not simply close Otib until he has gone. There seems little,point talking about anything else until the manger/head coach issue is resolved. Everything comes back to how long we have to put up with this waste of talent and resources. It's so bloody depressing

So you post on otib, suggesting otib should be shut down, because it's pointless?

Umm, not sure I get your logic buddy. :D

Ps. But I think I know what you mean!

29 minutes ago, desert said:

Sadly, in which case don't think I shall live long enough to post again (is that cheers I hear in the background?)

2 minutes ago, Rednwhiterob said:

So you post on otib, suggesting otib should be shut down, because it's pointless?

Umm, not sure I get your logic buddy.

It's really not that difficult a concept. Manger inept.....al other conversation about improving desperate performance and results futile until the cause of our situation changes. In response to a post complaining that people keep bringing every topic back to the subject of our manager and whether he should stay in his job. Clearer now?

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

I really thought / hoped that O'Neil would be this type - hope we haven't given up on him yet...

He's past it mate...and hasn't showed grit or vocal leadership of any great extent since being here. Going through the motions is what I see.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So SL had nothing to do with Hargreaves Lansdown being built into a multi billion pound business?!

No idea - do you? What I do know is that Mr  Hargreaves comes across as very very sharp.

Therefore I believe it was SL''s good fortune to have a partner like Mr Hargreaves rather than a genius for recruiting good managers.

With respect it's an absurd comparison anyway. If Mr Lansdown ran HL like BS he would still be operating out of a spare room in Clifton. 

Archived