IGNORED

We are doing better than this time 12 months ago. Fact!

Jack Dawe

21 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm bothered about City, not Oldham or Barnsley.

As I said he did 'OK' at both those short term L1 jobs, but nothing like well enough at either to be seriously under consideration for the much bigger, higher profile, higher pressure task of managing Bristol City at Championship level..

I'm not bothered about either myself, but earlier you described his time there as "no better than OK" and yesterday said "struggled abysmally" (I acknowledge the latter part referred to the losing streak, but you does turning that around into 6 consecutive league wins (from memory of your correction, apologies if incorrect) and a Wembley appearance also count as "abysmal" or "no better than OK")

I'm trying to ascertain what he would have had to have done at either club in order to have been better than "no better than OK". 
I am not bothered about Manchester City, but could tell you what I would deem "struggling abysmally", "no better than OK" and a "good job" for a manager there.

You have been able to tell me what "struggling abysmally" and "no better than OK" was for LJ's time at Oldham and Barnsley despite the apparent non botheredness, so what would have been a "good job" at either, or at the very least what you expected at those clubs.

3 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Hi Loon, I agree, it would be not be a great comparison. Which is why is wasn't. If the read the whole thread you'll see i'm not directly comparing LJ and EH.

I was using EH as an example of how tough the championship can be for a manager making a first step up from the lower leagues, even to a well run club like Burnley with premiership quality and parachute payments.

OK point taken mate.

I believe just like acquiring relatively high cost players "for the future" appointing someone with zilch experience to lead the playing side of the club before we were established in the Champ was folly.

4 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Couldn't agree more mate. 

I'm not defending LJ nor trying to belittle the 'masses' at all, just simply saying in a roundabout way, it's very difficult to appoint a manager, so those who sit in their responsibility free comfy chair taking pot shots and saying it was obvious he was the wrong choice, "I knew it from the start" are showing themselves to have very little idea of the complexity of choosing a new manager. 

One thing for sure, we sacked an experienced manager who had won us League one in a canter, then replaced him with a  novice manager who had recently lost 8 games in a row, this, in the league we had just won! 

After SC was sacked, the vast majority of City fans felt we needed ( at the very least ) a manager who had Championship experience. Obviously their are no guarantees with any managerial appointment, but for a club/owner who really wanted to push on, you surely get someone in who has managed at a higher level.

22 hours ago, JamesBCFC said:

I'm not bothered about either myself, but earlier you described his time there as "no better than OK" and yesterday said "struggled abysmally" (I acknowledge the latter part referred to the losing streak, but you does turning that around into 6 consecutive league wins (from memory of your correction, apologies if incorrect) and a Wembley appearance also count as "abysmal" or "no better than OK")

I'm trying to ascertain what he would have had to have done at either club in order to have been better than "no better than OK". 
I am not bothered about Manchester City, but could tell you what I would deem "struggling abysmally", "no better than OK" and a "good job" for a manager there.

You have been able to tell me what "struggling abysmally" and "no better than OK" was for LJ's time at Oldham and Barnsley despite the apparent non botheredness, so what would have been a "good job" at either, or at the very least what you expected at those clubs.

"Abysmal" did indeed refer solely to the 8 game losing run. "OK" in this sense means average and unremarkable, overall not great, not terrible either, and definitely hadn't done enough to attract interest from a higher division club under normal circumstances.

The later, shorter winning run and getting to the final of the lower div. cup just about cancels out that horrifying run of defeats he put the Barnsley fans through. So overall he did OK there. Can we leave that one now? :dunno::pray:

As for comparisons with Man. City, sorry I don't follow the PL closely any more. In my younger days I could rattle off the regular 1st 11, and sub., of every First Division team, (22 in those days) but I've very little interest in the modern day top division.

Ahem.

Around about 12 months ago we started winning games regularly.

Our form is not yet going in the right direction, and we were outplayed for large periods at home to Rotherham, who are effectively down already.

I need more encouragement.

I see a fight until the last day of the season, me.

:sweatingbullets:

tfj

Archived