IGNORED

We are doing better than this time 12 months ago. Fact!

Jack Dawe

1 hour ago, Gas Go Marching In! said:

What about the £15mil you recovered on Kodjia?

Yes, great news for the bean counters but from a football / on the pitch perspective, an outlay of £16m+ (fees, agents, signing on....not counting increased wage bill) has not brought sufficient improvement and when you consider the quality of some of the players brought in, you can only put the lack of improvement down to coaching

What matters is the end of the season result and if we are safe, we are safe. LJ lives to fight another season and he has to produce the goods.

The pounds for points argument. If we'd have done that argument at the beginning of the season, it would have looked good but it would have been a daft time to do it because anything can happen. The same applies now. You want to do the pounds for points argument, wait till the end of the season.

As to comparisons, I suggest we discuss the relative merits of apples over pears. I prefer my pears out of a can but like my apples fresh.

Onwards and upwards

2 hours ago, Gas Go Marching In! said:

What about the £15mil you recovered on Kodjia?

The £15m recovered on Kodjia is a bit misleading really.  Although strictly in financial terms it means our net spending was very little, the overall value of the players available to us this year is much higher than last year, because Tammy is probably worth even more than Kodjia (given his younger age and even better scoring record this year).  So really, there should have been a more significant improvement.

3 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

A year ago, we had just drawn 0:0 at home to Birmingham.

We were third bottom, 29  GD -23  Pts 25

Today, we sit in 20th,   29  GD -3   Pts 31.

Progress! An improvement there for all to see. You can't argue with the facts folks! Although there's always the option of twisting the stats to fit your world view, which we can all do.

Following that Birmingham game, we went on a great little run, winning four in our next five beating Charlton, Ipswich, MK Dons and Forest. So, shall we revisit this thread in four or five games time? 

Not sure you can say this is progress - SC spent a couple of million and then did loads of loan deals. The squad was basically league one standard and was very thin on the ground. 

Johnson has blown close to 15 million... LJ has the better squad on paper and thus is only 6 points better off ..... Not comparable.

What would SC have done with a similar level of investment? We shall never know. 

2 hours ago, Rich_s said:

Just broke a club record for consecutive loses. Fact!

Thank you, Rich. Another fact! Let's stick to the facts! on this thread, folks, there's plenty of other threads for opinion, gossip, rumour, scurrilous nonsense, those funny graphs that seem to suggest we are doing quite well when the league table suggests we are sh1te, critiques of messrs Johnson, Lansdown et al, hopes, fears, predictions, forecasts, and calling each other a cock. Speaking of which

@BobBobSuperBob, behave yourself! And give us a fact!

Here's my next fact: after 29 games last season, we turnt our season around with the above mentioned run of 4 wins in 5, with 2 wins against fellow relegation strugglers, one at Forest who were lower midtable and one against a play off chasing/top half of the table side. Whereas this year, after 29 games, we are faced with Derby (8th), Leeds (5th), Fulham (10th), Newcastle (1st) and Villa (14th). Four top half sides and one bottom half side - fact! 

If I was to give an opinion on that run of fixtures, I would say: good luck with that, LJ. Any more than a point from that lot and it's hats off to you. But this isn't a thread for opinion, just plain facts!

14 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Thank you, Rich. Another fact! Let's stick to the facts! on this thread, folks, there's plenty of other threads for opinion, gossip, rumour, scurrilous nonsense, those funny graphs that seem to suggest we are doing quite well when the league table suggests we are sh1te, critiques of messrs Johnson, Lansdown et al, hopes, fears, predictions, forecasts, and calling each other a cock. Speaking of which

@BobBobSuperBob, behave yourself! And give us a fact!

Here's my next fact: after 29 games last season, we turnt our season around with the above mentioned run of 4 wins in 5, with 2 wins against fellow relegation strugglers, one at Forest who were lower midtable and one against a play off chasing/top half of the table side. Whereas this year, after 29 games, we are faced with Derby (8th), Leeds (5th), Fulham (10th), Newcastle (1st) and Villa (14th). Four top half sides and one bottom half side - fact! 

If I was to give an opinion on that run of fixtures, I would say: good luck with that, LJ. Any more than a point from that lot and it's hats off to you. But this isn't a thread for opinion, just plain facts!

My fact is , the poster GJS who claims he is more knowledgable than the majority in the forum

is IMO.    a Cock

:thumbsup:

3 hours ago, Chairman Mao said:

Charlton (relegated), MK Dons (relegated), Forest and Ipswich

Vs.

Villa, Newcastle, Derby and Leeds (all away). 

We may be on the same points total in 4 games time!

How many points did we get from those games the first time round I wonder?

My memory seems to tell me we got 7 from them earlier this season, with only Newcastle beating us.

Surely that can't be right because OTIB says we are doomed and will lose all four.

2 minutes ago, JamesBCFC said:

How many points did we get from those games the first time round I wonder?

My memory seems to tell me we got 7 from them earlier this season, with only Newcastle beating us.

Surely that can't be right because OTIB says we are doomed and will lose all four.

All four are away and in the past 3 months we have beaten Rotherham and Ipswich at home. It's not exactly like we are playing as well as in September is it?

3 hours ago, Jack Dawe said:

A year ago, we had just drawn 0:0 at home to Birmingham.

We were third bottom, 29  GD -23  Pts 25

Today, we sit in 20th,   29  GD -3   Pts 31.

Progress! An improvement there for all to see. You can't argue with the facts folks! Although there's always the option of twisting the stats to fit your world view, which we can all do.

Following that Birmingham game, we went on a great little run, winning four in our next five beating Charlton, Ipswich, MK Dons and Forest. So, shall we revisit this thread in four or five games time? 

there are lies, damn lies, then there are statistics!!

Just now, Chairman Mao said:

All four are away and in the past 3 months we have beaten Rotherham and Ipswich at home. It's not exactly like we are playing as well as in September is it?

And we hadn't been playing particularly bad in many of our defeats.

Frankly at the moment I don't care how well we play if we start getting the results, like Saturday.

It's very common to see a side trying to arrest a bad run by sacrificing the quality of performance short term, after a few good results the confidence and performance quality comes back.

Happens at many of the top sides too when they have what is, for them, a bad run.

3 hours ago, Georgecreed123 said:

Not true really because we recouped a lot of that.  I'm happy with the current position let's start to give LJ a chance before trying to find the negatives all the time. 

I'm fully behind what LJ is creating as many were up to October no doubt.  Let's try to all be a bit more positive shall we.... 

And that is why we will be perpetually shite....the celebration of mediocrity by some of our fanbase.

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

My fact is , the poster GJS who claims he is more knowledgable than the majority in the forum

is IMO.    a Cock

Nearly, Bob. Nearly. You started out with a possible fact but then you caved in and just came out with an opinion. And not even a humble one. Try again.

Or maybe not.......      :thumbsup:

1 minute ago, Jack Dawe said:

Nearly, Bob. Nearly. You started out with a possible fact but then you caved in and just came out with an opinion. And not even a humble one. Try again.

Or maybe not.......      :thumbsup:

Ha ha

Not going to get deep into it but nor is yours a strict fact (We are doing better ...)

The opposition in the first 29 games are different in make up than those in the first 29 games of last year , so are some of the Clubs 

Comparing variables

:P

3 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ha ha

Not going to get deep into it but nor is yours a strict fact (We are doing better ...)

The opposition in the first 29 games are different in make up than those in the first 29 games of last year , so are some of the Clubs 

Comparing variables

:P

Yes, well done Bob :clap:: the 29 teams we have played this season are not the same 29 teams we had played at this stage 12 months ago. Fact! 

We do have more points than after 29 games last season, though. What that might mean and whether it is "better" is open to conjecture and opinion, which is for another thread.

Thank you Bob for putting me right on that. 

Looking at transfermarket.co.uk, they have us in profit for transfers + 1.38 million. They also let you produce some helpful tables here is our relative outlay vs league position. According to this we 6 places and 5 points away from where we should be. There is also this table which is the team's market value vs league position - we are 2 places and 4 points short of where we should be. 

If you use that info we are two wins short of where we should be based purely on finance. Which suggests we are not doing as well as we should be but also not as bad as some people think. 

Also worth considering are these tables average age we are 6th youngest in league. Academy players in squad we are 3rd.

26 minutes ago, Jack Dawe said:

Yes, well done Bob :clap:: the 29 teams we have played this season are not the same 29 teams we had played at this stage 12 months ago. Fact! 

We do have more points than after 29 games last season, though. What that might mean and whether it is "better" is open to conjecture and opinion, which is for another thread.

Thank you Bob for putting me right on that. 

Glad you seem pleased

Made my day

Fact we are a very poor team

Fact results imploded after a good start 

Fact many of the players bought in the summer have been replaced  by five senior pros all of which got at least 30 mins and all of which were on the pitch when we scored on Saturday

Fact we have played one up using a 19 year old kid to work on his own throughout the implosion

Opinion Mark Ashton and Lee Johnson bought way to young, expected Tomlin to pull off brilliance every game and Tammy to poach a goal when we had to go gung-ho after giving away a soft goal almost every week. 

Its not the current position that is as important it's momentum. 

However we got four from six so perhaps that is changing. Win ugly but win. 

1 hour ago, RichardEdd said:

Looking at transfermarket.co.uk, they have us in profit for transfers + 1.38 million. They also let you produce some helpful tables here is our relative outlay vs league position. According to this we 6 places and 5 points away from where we should be. There is also this table which is the team's market value vs league position - we are 2 places and 4 points short of where we should be. 

If you use that info we are two wins short of where we should be based purely on finance. Which suggests we are not doing as well as we should be but also not as bad as some people think. 

Also worth considering are these tables average age we are 6th youngest in league. Academy players in squad we are 3rd.

There are lies, damn lies and statistics. What's more relevant is the  fact we have the same number of points as Burton Albion 

5 hours ago, Alessandro said:

Where does £16 million come from? Correct me if i'm wrong:

LT £3m

Hordor £1.7m

Milan £1.5m

Moore £1.5m

Engvall £1.3m

Callum £1m

Matty T £300k

Jens £255k

Wright and Paterson? Couple of 100k's each?

So about £10m - quite different to £16m

Should listen to your favourite Head Coach a bit more carefully - He himself told Twentyman that it was in excess of 2 million

Spin  Spin

21 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Should listen to your favourite Head Coach a bit more carefully - He himself told Twentyman that it was in excess of 2 million

Spin  Spin

£1.3/4m initial fee. Rising to £2m or more.

Calm yourself down old boy, think of the ticker, don't get yourself in a spin. :thumbsup:

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Oh so you disagree with Lee 

Blimey 

He will be in tears

So tell me this clever boy, if you add an extra 600k to £10m is that total still closer to £10m or £16m? Which was the point of my original post.

What your subsequent comments about LJ have to do with anything are beyond me. I cannot understand why this comment above is needed?? Very petty my friend.

Have I upset you Bobby? Sorry if I have, you seem tetchy. 

5 minutes ago, Alessandro said:

So tell me this clever boy, if you add an extra 600k to £10m is that total still closer to £10m or £16m? Which was the point of my original post.

What your subsequent comments about LJ have to do with anything are beyond me. I cannot understand why this comment above is needed?? Very petty my friend.

Have I upset you Bobby? Sorry if I have, you seem tetchy. 

Petty :laugh:

No you are just a source of constant amusement  

Seems you have still got a sulk on from the other day , bless you 

:laughcont: 'Clever Boy' 'Bobby' ( I'm in pieces here)

Im guessing you still have a teenage temper (Maybe adolescent )

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Petty :laugh:

No you are just a source of constant amusement  

Seems you have still got a sulk on from the other day , bless you 

:laughcont:

:clapping:Are you still here? Keep on going mate.

I'm glad I give you constant amusesment, very flattered indeed! You know, it matters so much what you think of me, so thanks for that.

FWIW - I love going fishing for you. Such an easy target! 

Archived