IGNORED

Give it to Cotterill until the end of the season.

JHAGa

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Just like Man United will romp the Premier League this season with the most expensive squad? It doesn't always work like that. Steve Cotterill instilled unity, passion and professionalism, to deliver one of the most exciting seasons ever witnessed at Ashton Gate.

Yes, it looks like he threw his toys out of the pram the following season, but it's quite clear that the board only really started sanctioning all these signings once their, ahem, 'long-term project' was underway and their yes man was at the helm. What a farce that's turned out to be.

You lost me at Man United

9 hours ago, JHAGa said:

Because the board didn't back him. He'd have taken us up if they brought in Gray and Maguire like he wanted.

You honestly think SC would have taken us up to the premier league with the addition of just those two players you mentioned? 

Mr Lansdown was perfectly prepared to stump up the cash for Andre Gray, the player chose to go to Burnley instead as he thought they had more potential, and he was proved right...

1 hour ago, AshtonGreat said:

Just like Man United will romp the Premier League this season with the most expensive squad? It doesn't always work like that. Steve Cotterill instilled unity, passion and professionalism, to deliver one of the most exciting seasons ever witnessed at Ashton Gate.

Yes, it looks like he threw his toys out of the pram the following season, but it's quite clear that the board only really started sanctioning all these signings once their, ahem, 'long-term project' was underway and their yes man was at the helm. What a farce that's turned out to be.

To a point I agree, but don't forget our budget- by dint of a bigger capacity and more facilities- would be somewhat higher this season than 15-16 so they could afford to splash out more...

I've said it before on one of these topics, but the blind faith to LJ makes the treatment of SC even worse. I know Cotts made his feeling toward the board pretty well known, but from what I know it was our old DOF who screwed up numerous deals that left us scraping the barrel and signing Fredericks and Robinson.

If Cotts had gone through this run, he'd have 100000% been sacked after Cardiff (or even Reading) and JL would've done one of those cringey YouTube videos of umms and arrs saying about how the run was awful and needed changing.

Yet here we are..

5 hours ago, Emperor Palpatine said:

Yet he has gone on to be a solid defender with PNE... 

One of the worst defences in the Championship under Cotterill no? Care to explain how we were totally abject and why when Pembo took over, there was an upturn in fortunes with pretty much the same squad?

He may well have but Cotterill achieved 99 points without him and so it seemed quite reasonable to assume that he would be surplus to requirements, even if he is a good player - which I do, I like him.

The fact remains that winning the league with 99 points largely without Cunningham suggests SC did not get it wrong on Cunningham and any spin you put on that does not change it.

SC proved he is a good judge of player, another example I would give you is he inherited JET but clearly didn't think he fitted into a winning team, and where is JET now?

Even if you don't like SC you have to give him credit for what he got right, which is far more than his predecessor or successor.

4 hours ago, Fordy62 said:

Yeh. LJ would never do such a thing with a decent championship full back...

We already know he moved Ayling on, what's with the dig? Both SC and LJ made errors in removing Cunningham and Ayling... both as incompetent on that part. 

Fed up with the double standards from some that SC could do no wrong and LJ for the same failings is completely guilty

5 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You honestly think SC would have taken us up to the premier league with the addition of just those two players you mentioned? 

Mr Lansdown was perfectly prepared to stump up the cash for Andre Gray, the player chose to go to Burnley instead as he thought they had more potential, and he was proved right...

I think you'll find that with the Gray deal, it was done and dusted before Cotts went on holiday in the summer and a verbal agreement in place.. While he was off, Lansdown and co went back to Gray and his agent trying to get him on the cheap at which point AG told them to jog on. Cotts came back to find that the deal was off and was furious about it. Similar happened with Dwight Gayle too I believe..

For what its worth I also believe we'd be far better off with SC in charge if he had the same backing as LJ

43 minutes ago, bcfccalum93 said:

I think you'll find that with the Gray deal, it was done and dusted before Cotts went on holiday in the summer and a verbal agreement in place.. While he was off, Lansdown and co went back to Gray and his agent trying to get him on the cheap at which point AG told them to jog on. Cotts came back to find that the deal was off and was furious about it. Similar happened with Dwight Gayle too I believe..

For what its worth I also believe we'd be far better off with SC in charge if he had the same backing as LJ

and not the first time a person higher up the food chain has had a negative effect on a potential signing

48 minutes ago, bcfccalum93 said:

That's quite detailed inside knowledge, how do you know all this? Confusing as it seems contrary to what SL has said in public...

1 minute ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

That's quite detailed inside knowledge, how do you know all this? Confusing as it seems contrary to what SL has said in public...

Just use common sense and apply context. Did Cotterill want last season's transfer window to pan out that way? No. Did he say that he planned on getting in players early after we were promoted automatically? Yes. Have the board got a history with failing to back managers? Yes.

Maybe what they're saying isn't exactly what happened but something went down, and I'm going to side with SC over the board because we've seen it happen before. He got us to 99 points and won us two trophies, do you really think he was behind that summer? No chance.

11 hours ago, cidercity1987 said:

If we hadnt have sacked Cotterill we would at least be in the Championship next season.

Might have been in League One this, though.

Fixated on 3-5-2, never played subs, made mistakes with Cunningham and others.

But

A double winning leader with unfinished business, Id have him back.

What's his unfinished business based on last season then? Taking us back to L1? 

8 minutes ago, Fishponds_Red said:

If Coterill is such a great Championship manager and his summer 16 recruitment was ruined by Lansdown and co, why has no other Championship club recruited him in the last year? 

Some managers suit certain clubs and SC was very much suited here - and this is from someone that was totally against his initial appointment. Maybe fans of other clubs have the same predispositions I had. SC is also very selective over who he manages, he was out the game a while before he joined us. I'm sure he could have gone to a club like Rotherham, Charlton or Bolton if he thought it was the right move for him.

1 hour ago, JHAGa said:

Just use common sense and apply context. Did Cotterill want last season's transfer window to pan out that way? No. Did he say that he planned on getting in players early after we were promoted automatically? Yes. Have the board got a history with failing to back managers? Yes.

Maybe what they're saying isn't exactly what happened but something went down, and I'm going to side with SC over the board because we've seen it happen before. He got us to 99 points and won us two trophies, do you really think he was behind that summer? No chance.

And as I said you're simplifying Del and SOD in terms of failing to back the manager. 

Cotterill signed his own p45 with his approach and his ego... do you really believe that he would take on the board and win? For me, Lansdown backed him and remained patient for 3 hideous months

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Almost my understanding too, SC had verbal agreements in place early summer to land Gray for £3.5m and McGuire (not Dwight Gayle) at £2.5m. He went off on hols and came back to find our board member for finance (can't recall his name), had tried to renegotiate the deals and hacked off both players and selling clubs. Subsequently Brentford quoted us double for Gray for dicking them about and although we met the £7m ask, Gray turned us down already soured by what had gone on before. That finance board member left the club in December I believe.

To be clear, I am NOT advocating the return of Cotts, with his subsequent petulant stubborn behaviour he almost wrote his own P45. That said if he had been backed like LJ has been, I'd wager we would be nearer the top of the championship not facing a very real possibility of relegation.

13 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Almost my understanding too, SC had verbal agreements in place early summer to land Gray for £3.5m and McGuire (not Dwight Gayle) at £2.5m. He went off on hols and came back to find our board member for finance (can't recall his name), had tried to renegotiate the deals and hacked off both players and selling clubs. Subsequently Brentford quoted us double for Gray for dicking them about and although we met the £7m ask, Gray turned us down already soured by what had gone on before. That finance board member left the club in December I believe.

To be clear, I am NOT advocating the return of Cotts, with his subsequent petulant stubborn behaviour he almost wrote his own P45. That said if he had been backed like LJ has been, I'd wager we would be nearer the top of the championship not facing a very real possibility of relegation.

Fair enough, so where did our widely reported £9m bid for Gray come from if Brentford had already accepted £3.5m?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33974678

Surely if we'd bid £3.5m and it was accepted to SC's satisfaction, then that figure would have been reported?

It seems much went on at that time behind closed doors, just surprised that none of it seems to have seen the light of day and been reported.

38 minutes ago, JHAGa said:

Some managers suit certain clubs and SC was very much suited here - and this is from someone that was totally against his initial appointment. Maybe fans of other clubs have the same predispositions I had. SC is also very selective over who he manages, he was out the game a while before he joined us. I'm sure he could have gone to a club like Rotherham, Charlton or Bolton if he thought it was the right move for him.

You haven't answered my question, you've skirted round it.

You've given 3 different reasons from what I make out -  He wouldn't be suited to any of the championship clubs that have changed Manager already this season.  The fans of the clubs that have changed manager wouldn't want him.  SC is very selective about who he manages and he would not want to manage the only Championship Club that would want him - Rotherham.

45 minutes ago, old_eastender said:

Gayle was a Plan B post Gray then I assume...

Would have made a real interesting what if scenario though...Maguire in for Williams in the 3-5-2 and Gray + Kodjia up top=pace and goals! Then there would not have been the bad feeling over loan players and youth and a happier atmosphere all round...what might have been eh? *sighs*

2 minutes ago, Fishponds_Red said:

You've given 3 different reasons from what I make out -  He wouldn't be suited to any of the championship clubs that have changed Manager already this season.  The fans of the clubs that have changed manager wouldn't want him.  SC is very selective about who he manages and he would not want to manage the only Championship Club that would want him - Rotherham.

I've given you two answers 1) Clubs may have similar predispositions to what our fans had before he came here 2) He's very selective. I think he would have been able to get a job for a team fighting relegation if he wanted, in my opinion. So I did answer your question and didn't skirt around it.

3 hours ago, bcfccalum93 said:

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Because it was what @TETBURY MASSIVE told us last Xmas (alternative Wham lyrics :P), and I believe most of it.  I believe SL got a radio interview in first before Cotts did, and probably said, if you go public, I'll sack you.  Pure speculation the last bit I accept, but SL is very clever in his timing.  Cotts is still on the payroll I believe.

2 hours ago, JHAGa said:

That's exactly why I believe what Tetbury posted.

22 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Fair enough, so where did our widely reported £9m bid for Gray come from if Brentford had already accepted £3.5m?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/33974678

Surely if we'd bid £3.5m and it was accepted to SC's satisfaction, then that figure would have been reported?

It seems much went on at that time behind closed doors, just surprised that none of it seems to have seen the light of day and been reported.

Because, someone (Pelling perhaps) then tried to undercut the deal.  At that point, `Burnley were buffing around, so Brentford upped the price, and why not.  The Gray deal was more £6m plus £3m incentives (Kodjia £11 + £4 for context)

Same scenario with Maguire.

Gayle was never coming here, but paid us the courtesy of coming down to look around.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Gayle was a Plan B post Gray then I assume...

Would have made a real interesting what if scenario though...Maguire in for Williams in the 3-5-2 and Gray + Kodjia up top=pace and goals! Then there would not have been the bad feeling over loan players and youth and a happier atmosphere all round...what might have been eh? *sighs*

Fredericks at RWB, only £250k too.  You could see Cotts thought processes.

Archived